Alcohol sale on train may be banned in Thailand

webfact

Alcohol sale on train may be banned
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Songkran Pakchokdee, director of the Anti-Alcohol Organisations Network, Monday submitted a petition to the Public Health Ministry, asking for a ban of alcohol sale at train stations and on the train.

The network said that this should help reduce sexual harassment, fighting and disturbance caused by the drunk.

Transport Ministry’s permanent secretary Somchai Siriwatanachok said that the ministry is waiting for the Public Health Ministry’s announcement. Under the alcohol control law, drinking in prohibited areas is liable to imprisonment of up to 6 months and fines up to Bt10,000 or both.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-12-16

----------------------

Transport to ban liquor drinking on trains and at stations

12-16-2013-9-31-55-PM-728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The Transport Ministry is now considering to draft a legislation banning the drinking of liquor on trains and at train stations.

The idea of pushing forward the legislation came after several surveys revealing that liquor drinking was the cause of quarrels, accidents, sex abuses and causing nuisance to other passengers on the same trains.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/transport-ban-liquor-drinking-trains-stations/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2013-12-17

• Like 1

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Will the alcohol ban include the train driver too?

Sent from my GT-I9200 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Yes, but it seems that it's the "sale" of alcohol that may be banned.

I'm sure the driver will still be allowed to bring his own. whistling.gif

• Like 1

Tourists who have the nerve and interest to travel north to Chiang Mai, Nong Khai or Ubon or southwards, usually enjoy a few beers along with some tasty Thai food while the train thunders along at 50mph. If a passenger gets obnoxiously drunk, there are railway police on board as well as the conductor who can safely eject them at the nearest station.

Why spoil the pleasure of many to avoid the excesses of the few?drunk.gif.pagespeed.ce.hfErN2aQEE.gif

cheesy.gifcheesy.gif Thunders along at 50 mph, rattles-shakes-clangs. clickety click. clickety clack, oooppps.

• Like 1

Can't wait for the next election. Alcohol banned for the weekend! Great notice. We can all go to the local mom and pop who sell alcohol anyway. These people are crazy with their rules.

I once told a 7-11 clerk (knowing I would not win), when she told me that I could not buy alcohol because of the voting, I told her I am a farang. I cannot vote, so can I buy anyway? Left her speechless. They never thought of that.

No, could not buy the beer. Went to a local shop.

• Like 1

Can't wait for the next election. Alcohol banned for the weekend! Great notice. We can all go to the local mom and pop who sell alcohol anyway. These people are crazy with their rules.

I once told a 7-11 clerk (knowing I would not win), when she told me that I could not buy alcohol because of the voting, I told her I am a farang. I cannot vote, so can I buy anyway? Left her speechless. They never thought of that.

No, could not buy the beer. Went to a local shop.

It doesn't help. The law doesn't exclude you and the 7/11 clerk must follow the law.

And you could buy the beer for your Thai friend.

(well the thai friend could buy stock of beer a day before and that would make the complete law nonsense).

But I can understand that law more than the time restrictions and the no alcohol Buddhist days (where does Buddha say, to punish these who don't want to follow).

What doe this have to do with the Ministry Of Transportation keeping the trains on the track? whistling.gif

I think they are trying to keep the train engineers from operating the train drunk. Having sober engineers would be the first logical step in making an effort to keep the trains on the tracks.

Secondly, those who repair and maintain the tracks need to work sober.

If they can't drink, they can't cause accidents, fight, and rape women.

Tourists who have the nerve and interest to travel north to Chiang Mai, Nong Khai or Ubon or southwards, usually enjoy a few beers along with some tasty Thai food while the train thunders along at 50mph. If a passenger gets obnoxiously drunk, there are railway police on board as well as the conductor who can safely eject them at the nearest station.

Why spoil the pleasure of many to avoid the excesses of the few?drunk.gif

cheesy.gif width=32 alt=cheesy.gif> cheesy.gif width=32 alt=cheesy.gif> Thunders along at 50 mph, rattles-shakes-clangs. clickety click. clickety clack, oooppps.

MILES per hour???? Oh, you mean KILOMETRES per hour...

"The network said that this should help reduce sexual harassment, fighting and disturbance caused by the drunk".

Then they should stop the drunk from travelling - find him and stop him I say... tongue.png

• Like 1

Why spoil the pleasure of many to avoid the excesses of the few?drunk.gif

cheesy.gif width=32 alt=cheesy.gif> cheesy.gif width=32 alt=cheesy.gif> Thunders along at 50 mph, rattles-shakes-clangs. clickety click. clickety clack, oooppps.

MILES per hour???? Oh, you mean KILOMETRES per hour...

"The network said that this should help reduce sexual harassment, fighting and disturbance caused by the drunk".

Then they should stop the drunk from travelling - find him and stop him I say... tongue.png

There should be rail line BLOCKS every 10 kilometers, and have all passengers give a breath test, and fined 300 bht for failure. Later to be shared between rail bosses.cheesy.gif

Pulling out from the main station in the late afternoon and enjoying a beer with whom ever in the club car, watching bangkok slip by is one of the best ways to Travel,and cheap. The fuel cookers could do with punting as I think they are an accident waiting to happen, especially after a couple.

Unfortunately staff don't know how (or are afraid) to cut people off. I only went on a few overnight train trips, and would bring a bottle of two of wine with me (with friends). It was great fun. Pity that the people who cannot handle their alcohol and behave spoil it for everybody.

• Like 1

Beer or no beer who the hell in their right mind rides the train ant where. A friend just came up to Chiang Mai from Bangkok by train even on the new tracks it took 18 hours. Ride the train your kidding.

Better fly for 1000 baht more, in 1 and a half hours. for sure.