Alcohol sale on train may be banned in Thailand

webfact

Sharia Law comes to Thailand. Dictatorships always stop the simple pleasures, first.

Remember it was a former incarnation of PTP that decide to hurt the tourist trade and Thai pockets by closing bars at 2.00pm when the rest of the World was opting for 24 hours a day

Same gang who took a seventh of street traders income by saying, " You Are Closed On Mondays.". But they do care for the working classes.

Yingluck and her gangs travel expenses could have built a few schools or hospitals, but <deleted> handbags, lv designs suck, seem more important.

Edited by Soi Sauce

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What doe this have to do with the Ministry Of Transportation keeping the trains on the track? whistling.gif

Because with this rule, the driver can't drink anymore also...

That's while in the train. He can crawl to the engine complete plastered, though. Means even more stops because he needs to refill his laukhau level.

"while the train thunders along at 50mph". You wish... while we were headling towards Lamphum last time coming from BKK the train had an average speed of 28.5 mph.That is why I fully support the hi-speed project in hope we will get towards the 50 mph at the end of this decade :-)

Edited by shunima

I smell classic diversion tactics along 'leaves on the line'....methinks someone is trying to show his bosses he is actually doing something behind his desk all day after all instead of the square root of <deleted> all.....

The trains keep de-railing, run late and slow because everyone is drinking.....

It would be a criminal shame.

As I'm not too keen on flying I take the long distance train here a lot and have met some real charachters (from all over the world) over a few beers in the restaurant car.

Apologies for being nostalgic here but I'll wager a fair few here remember the old Visa Run parties on the BKK - Butterworth train on the last Sunday or Monday of most months....by heck them were the days....

Is this the same writer who just put together the article about "Thailand lagging behind in English"?

If so he's just proved his point superbly!

Alcohol sale on train may be banned - and - sexual harassment by drunk

Reminds me of the sign outside a shoe shop . . . GIANT SELL SPORT SHOE

All those plural noun is dam tricky, eh?

R

Edited by robsamui

Can't wait for the next election. Alcohol banned for the weekend! Great notice. We can all go to the local mom and pop who sell alcohol anyway. These people are crazy with their rules.

I once told a 7-11 clerk (knowing I would not win), when she told me that I could not buy alcohol because of the voting, I told her I am a farang. I cannot vote, so can I buy anyway? Left her speechless. They never thought of that.

No, could not buy the beer. Went to a local shop.

It doesn't help. The law doesn't exclude you and the 7/11 clerk must follow the law.

And you could buy the beer for your Thai friend.

(well the thai friend could buy stock of beer a day before and that would make the complete law nonsense).

But I can understand that law more than the time restrictions and the no alcohol Buddhist days (where does Buddha say, to punish these who don't want to follow).

Naaah - the law-makers understand full-well that nobody is going to buy their lao khao the day before the shops are shut . . . the voters can't see that far into the future.

R

Edited by robsamui

Please god no!! Having a beer in the dining car is the only way to enjoy the ridiculous time it takes to get from point A to point B in Thailand. Plus it has been proven that if you are drunk and in an accident you are less likely to suffer serious injuries because your body relaxes like a baby and not tenses up leading to broken bones. I only mentioned that part because of the constant train accidents.....this does not mean I approve of car/motorbike drivers being drunk.

Or train drivers I hope.

Fed-up commuters want booze ban on trains, stations
The Nation

30222284-01_big.jpg

BANGKOK: -- ANTI-ALCOHOL advocates yesterday called on the Transport Ministry to ask the Public Health Ministry to ban the sale of alcohol at train stations and on trains.

Anti-Alcohol Organisations Network director Songkran Pakchokdee submitted the petition and said a ban should reduce sexual harassment, fighting and disturbances caused by drunk passengers.

Transport Ministry permanent secretary Somchai Siriwatanachok said the ministry would speedily request that the Public Health Ministry issue such an order. Under the alcohol control law, drinking in prohibited areas is punishable by imprisonment of up to six months and a fine of up to Bt10,000, or both.

In the meantime, the State Railway of Thailand (SRT) has been instructed to increase surveillance to prevent drink-related disturbances, said Somchai. He also noted the SRT had issued an announcement to regulate sales of alcohol.

Songkran revealed that a survey of 1,160 train passengers aged 15 and over at eight train stations in Bangkok during December 3-10, found that 86 per cent of the polled people viewed alcohol sales and drinking on trains as a big problem and a disturbance to passengers. Of the people interviewed, 94 per cent agreed with a ban on alcohol sales on trains as a safety measure. Also, 86 per cent favoured extending the ban to cover train stations, according to the poll.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-12-17

"Fed-up commuters want booze ban on trains, stations"

"Songkran revealed that a survey of 1,160 train passengers aged 15 and over at eight train stations in Bangkokarrow-10x10.png during December 3-10, found that 86 per cent of the polled people viewed alcohol sales and drinking on trains as a big problem and a disturbance to passengers."

It sounds fairly reasonable to ban alcohol sales on commuter trains within Bangkok, because it was local Bangkok commuters they surveyed and expressed that precise wish. However, how did they jump from this to a nationwide ban which includes long distance travel? Hang-on, I know the answer.....TiTfacepalm.gif

"Public Health Ministry, asking for a ban of alcohol sale at train stations and on the train.
The network said that this should help reduce sexual harassment, fighting and disturbance caused by the drunk."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And increase the nearest 7-11 sales by 300% & the vendors who jump on the trains by 400%

Wouldn't a better idea be to just ban drinking alcohol while on any public transport---------------

Please NO! It is very charming and fun to sip a beer on a Thai train while waiting to get to the destinations.....please make loud drunken behavior on a train a big fine inatead--it would yield a lot more revenue!

Agreed. However this isn't about making trains safer. It's because they don't want anyone drinking alcohol at all. It's always about controlling people and making sure they only do what is "right" and "moral".

• Like 1

Please god no!! Having a beer in the dining car is the only way to enjoy the ridiculous time it takes to get from point A to point B in Thailand. Plus it has been proven that if you are drunk and in an accident you are less likely to suffer serious injuries because your body relaxes like a baby and not tenses up leading to broken bones. I only mentioned that part because of the constant train accidents.....this does not mean I approve of car/motorbike drivers being drunk.

It's already illegal if you are a passenger in a car, taxi or bus.

But Hey, buy a bottle before you go to the station and get on board. Just keep it subtle.

Ha ha, till the second bottle kicks in lol

Edited by Bpuumike