7/11 vegetarian food with soy meat, where else to buy fake meat ?

questionsreplies

Here is the nutrition summery for Ground Beef

[...]

TVP or kaset is produced by thermoplastic extrusion of defatted soy protein flour with a protein content of 50%.

[...]

Thanks for this, but what are you saying here?

What is the connection between beef and defatted soy protein flour?

I am saying that fake meat is primarily made of fat and that TVP contains gasoline

Edited by Kitsune

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

TVP contains gasoline

This statement is not only alarmist, but based on an ill-informed view of scientific reality.

Please read the label above and be assured that this food does not contain "gasoline".

Yes we are aware that chemicals are used to process the base ingredient.

Edited by Morakot
  • Like 2

http://www.youtavegetarian.com/product.php?lg=en

Are the largest producer here, you can phone and they will deliver. If you visit the shop off Rama 2 they do not charge tax. Plenty of tinned stuff (you can get some at Tops) and frozen stuff, fridge is full of it. 7-11 do not sell veg stuff outside of the veg festival from what I have seen. it's not as good as quorn stuff but still better than nowt. I like the chicken wings and the drum sticks on lemon grass, the 'fish' stuff I am not so keen on, it's not expensive at all.

Edited by sms747

TVP contains gasoline

This statement is not only alarmist, but based on an ill-informed view of scientific reality.

Please read the label above and be assured that this food does not contain "gasoline".

Yes we are aware that chemicals are used to process the base ingredient.

Hexane is a byproduct of gasoline refining. Soybean processors use it as a solvent—a cheap and efficient way of extracting oil from soybeans, a necessary step to making most conventional soy oil and protein ingredients. Whole soybeans are literally bathed in hexane to separate the soybeans’ oil from protein

Hexane [...] Soybean processors use it as a solvent—a cheap and efficient way of extracting oil from soybeans, a necessary step to making most conventional soy oil and protein ingredients. Whole soybeans are literally bathed in hexane to separate the soybeans’ oil from protein

Good, but how do you know which solvent Thai manufactures use and what is the remaining hexane level in the final food product? Ten, 20 parts per million?

Some manufacturers use isohexane (2-methylpentane).

behindthebean_color_final.pdf

Hexane [...] Soybean processors use it as a solvent—a cheap and efficient way of extracting oil from soybeans, a necessary step to making most conventional soy oil and protein ingredients. Whole soybeans are literally bathed in hexane to separate the soybeans’ oil from protein

Good, but how do you know which solvent Thai manufactures use and what is the remaining hexane level in the final food product? Ten, 20 parts per million?

Some manufacturers use isohexane (2-methylpentane).

1/ ISO Hexane is a compound of hexane, it's like the brother of hexane which again is a by product of gasoline

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2-Methylpentane,

so really if you want to eat food that has been soaked in that go ahead, but I'm not.

2/ It's only organic TVP that uses not so cheap isohexane, here in THL I bet they use the cheap stuff ...Organic TVP which by the way, I have never seen in Thailand.

3/ Anyway the product has already been cooked at 200deg before, so when you cook it, AGAIN and after its bath in gasoline it is virtually nutrient empty.

Proteins are heated to a temperature of 150-200°C, which denatures them into a fibrous, insoluble, porous units. Going into a simple biology lesson here, the term denature means pretty much what it sounds like – to lose one’s nature. It is a term we use in biology when explaining the nature of proteins. Proteins are very temperature sensitive and even a slight change in temperature can denature them, making them lose their structure and function

4/ The claim of TVP industry is that they manage to clean the product well enough to get rid of hexane. Yeah right it's been soak in the nasty stuff but we clean it don"t worry

5/ Why bother with processed nasty products, when you have plenty of natural healthy delicious real legumes nutrients packed around such as, sweet potatoes, chickpeas, pumpkin, etc, which are also cheaper ?

Edited by Kitsune

Thank you, i found protein kaset, but are you sure that they are bad? fat and msg?

I think only the "J festival type" ready-meal are not very healthy.

A meal made from raw protein kaset will be as good/ bad as you make.

cheesy.gif

Raw protein kaset !

Beautiful oxymoron : it's like saying hot snow or dry water

Protein kaset or TVP is by definition COOKED at 200 DEGREES

What did you call me ? ill-informed?

Morakot you're so funny!

Edited by Kitsune
  • Like 1

[...]

ISO Hexane is a compound of hexane,

[...]

It's only organic TVP that uses not so cheap isohexane

I detect a logical flaw in your thought: Hexane the "evil" petrochemical product -- isohexane the something "organic" brother made from the evil petrochemical product...

If you like to make a constructive point, beyond an alarmist half-truth, elaborate on the toxicity of hexane and the role of metabolites, rather than irrelevant operational processes in the making of the compound.

Edited by Morakot

Surely you have a good fresh food market near you. They all have fresh soy products, - much better than 7/11

Absolutely!

But hang on Kitsune might tell us in a minute that tofu may contain an industrial chemical, called calcium sulfate, a coagulant that is also used for making gypsum. w00t.gif

Edited by Morakot

Surely you have a good fresh food market near you. They all have fresh soy products, - much better than 7/11

Absolutely!

But hang on Kitsune might tell us in a minute that tofu may contain an industrial chemical, called calcium sulfate, a coagulant that is also used for making gypsum. w00t.gif

No but it's not what nutritionists call a class 1 food as such (whole food/ vegetables) which should be our prime source of food.

It's a class 2 food as it is processed after all even though, some companies are reducing the process, it's still a good product but also the fact remains that a vast majority of soy beans in the world are GMO. And I am not sure what the stance is here, but I do know they import soy bean from the US where 80% of the crops are GMO.

Radiance Wholefoods is another good source - for lots of odd and interesting things. Im getting into Quinoa.. gradually.

Very interesting! In what form is it and where do you buy this from?

Organic Quinoa : a hefty 250 THB a kilo from Villa Market.

If you see any cheaper please tell me

They sell it red and white I think, dry not sure if pre-scrubbed/washed. I have used it for a week and have to say it tastes good.

Ive been trying to up my protein.

Only problem is it isnt exactly cheap

http://radiancewholefoods.com/index.php/shop-online.html#!/~/category/id=3811729&offset=0&sort=normal

http://radiancewholefoods.com/index.php/shop-online.html#!/~/category/id=5025570&offset=0&sort=normal

Did not see quinoa

WOW your stuff is really expensive !

I get my chickpeas (non organic) at 40B for 500g / your shop is 125B !! day light robbery !

Red lentils same around 50B a kilo (Makro) your shop online 90B

EDIT: OOPS sorry did not realize it was all organic!

makes sense I guess, still it's pricey I think you can find cheaper

Edited by Kitsune

Just for the record its not my shop. They're well known

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

"your" shop was obviously for "the shop you recommend", obvious since I also told you, you "could find cheaper elsewhere". (that implied you were a customer their not the owner)

People who dont eat meat are strange. They usually look underfed and weak. Mankind are meat eaters we are not cows. If you dont eat meat you will eventually waste away to nothing. Why do all the vegetarians look like they just bought their clothes from a rubbish dump and havent had a bath for 6 months?

People who dont eat meat are strange. They usually look underfed and weak. Mankind are meat eaters we are not cows. If you dont eat meat you will eventually waste away to nothing. Why do all the vegetarians look like they just bought their clothes from a rubbish dump and havent had a bath for 6 months?

4sLhZRj.gif

Edited by Morakot
  • Like 1

these don't look so bad:

http://www.pinterest.com/govanbasson/famous-veganvegetarian-stars-athletes/

• Like 2

The exact definition of an American president ! :)

• Like 1

I bet a lot of those Hollywood vegetarians are fos.

Right.

Most people think like Krungribo that "all the vegetarians look like they just bought their clothes from a rubbish dump and havent had a bath for 6 months".

Do you really think Hollywood stars would jeopardize their image for BS?

And Bill Clinton ? He's BSing also?

Edited by Kitsune