Bar parties - do you like them?

addy77

Bar parties - do you like them?  

28 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I'm not a fan of the Pattaya nightlife but tonight I found myself at my girlfriend's friend's bar's opening night party. The rice, potato salad, BBQ pig, and larb went down nicely. But hard to enjoy the food with smoke blowing in my face and the excessively loud live music. I'm also looking at restlessly as some proud parents brought their newborn for all to meet. Newborn also subjected to loud music and smoke. So that will be the last one for a long while, I hope.

The term "balloon chaser" refers to those who go to bars to enjoy the buffet. They go where they see balloons, hence the chasing terminology. It's somewhat tasty and good value if you don't drink much, like me.

Is it law to have a BBQ pig? I don't chase these things for the reasons you said but why not chicken or ribs?

The BBQ pig seems to be pretty traditional for all Thai celebrations, but not all bar parties have the pig. The last one I went to had Thai food, chicken, curry dishes, etc. I must admit it does piss me off a bit to see the same "balloon chasers" with their small bottle of water, pigging out and then disappearing. If your budget is that small that you have to go scrounging free meals you shouldn't be living here. Pathetic.

I drink water because I don't like alcohol and that's my drink of choice when dining anywhere. How many bottles should I consume so as not to appear as a cheap charlie??!! Also, once I finish eating, I'm done with the loud music and smoke for the time being (that's normal?).

I didn't realize there's decorum in how long or how many bottles of water I must consume in a bar that puts out food. As an expat, for all you/they know, I might be back 365 times/year.

I drink water because I don't like alcohol and that's my drink of choice when dining anywhere. How many bottles should I consume so as not to appear as a cheap charlie??!! Also, once I finish eating, I'm done with the loud music and smoke for the time being (that's normal?).

I didn't realize there's decorum in how long or how many bottles of water I must consume in a bar that puts out food. As an expat, for all you/they know, I might be back 365 times/year.

If you go to a bar party, gorge on free food for the price of a small bottle of water, it's hardly the same as ordering water in a restaurant where you're paying for the food. Then you have the hide to complain about the smoke and loud music!

It's not the bar putting out the food (unless it's a pool competition or a staff birthday celebration). It's a customer/patron of the bar that is paying for it all.

If I happen across a balloon party at a bar other than my local and choose to accept some free food, I seek out the person who is throwing the party, wish them a happy birthday or whatever and buy them a drink.

No problem with drinking water, but I hope you express your gratitude in some way to the person paying for the food.

It's not the bar putting out the food (unless it's a pool competition or a staff birthday celebration). It's a customer/patron of the bar that is paying for it all.

If I happen across a balloon party at a bar other than my local and choose to accept some free food, I seek out the person who is throwing the party, wish them a happy birthday or whatever and buy them a drink.

No problem with drinking water, but I hope you express your gratitude in some way to the person paying for the food.

I think the OP already said that it was a new bar, so I imagine the bar owner was paying for the food. I have been to several bar parties locally, they all have either been the opening of a new bar, pool league presentations or birthdays. I can't recall any where a private individual has put on a free food spread.