Retired Thai military chiefs call on top brass to back public

webfact

Retired military chiefs call on top brass to back public
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Three retired military chiefs on Friday issued a joint statement calling on the Royal Thai Armed Forces to show their stance by siding with the people and calling on the caretaker prime minister and her Cabinet to step down in order to make way for much-needed reform.

General Wimol Wongwanich, who was Army commander until 1995; Air Chief Marshal Kant Phimanthip, Air Force commander until 1997; and Admiral Wichet Karunyawanic, Navy commander until 1997; cited the Yingluck government's dismissal of the Constitutional Court's verdict on charter amendment as one of the key reasons. They also cited the Pheu Thai-dominated vote backing the legislation, and the lack of action in combating defamation of the monarchy.

"It is time for the Armed Forces' commanders to take a stance and side with the monarchy and the people. Also, the caretaker PM and her Cabinet must quit and make way for the private sector, civil servants, academics and the public to implement reforms and lead the country out of the crisis," the statement said.

Colonel Thanathip Sawangsaeng, spokesman for the Defence Ministry, yesterday welcomed the statement from the former military chiefs, but cited the ministry's stance to protect the Constitution through lawful means.

"Defence Ministry permanent secretary General Niphat Thonglek received the statements and thanks the chiefs for their concern," he said. He said the ministry will speak to the Election Commission and find out how to act upon a proposal to get military personnel to help in the voting process. He reiterated that the ministry supported the February 2 election.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-12-17

General Prayuth repeated the army will remain neutral. No use spending energy trying to change the minds of the generals. Try to pursue changes by playing the politics-game.

Good idea. Offer the new guy more money, than Thaksin did clap2.gif

wai.gif

Some of these old Commanders went of to war to give the freedom to the citizens of Thailand. They were part of The Queens Cobras, The Black Panthers, RTVF which went to Vietnam. There were also those that volunteered to become parts of the 333 and 335 SGU, till just recently these military personnel were nor recognized, for what they did. They became known as the Unknown Warriors. Some of these men gave there all for the freedom Thais have. The blood of the military gave Thailand Freedom, While the politicians now threaten the very freedom these brave men fought and died for. Thank you UWA 333.

• Like 2

Why does the Thai army continually interfere in the affairs of public debate and politics? Because Thailand essentially is a military junta. Call it what you want, that's what it is and has always been. It is astonishing that foreign governments play along with the hypocrisy and denial of Thailand.

• Like 2

The people have already voted, and due to this unrest, will get to vote again Feb 2nd. The real issue for the protesters is what means can they find to take away the vote from people who don't vote the way the protesters want. This continues to go on in Venezuela just as it does here until the protesters can come up with a better plan to help the disadvantaged that will dislodge the party in power.

• Like 1

Retired military chiefs should say retired ,keep out of the issue at hand and in general shut up ,the military is the province of the crown and therefore should respect the elected government of the day, not to go about backing public disorder and any despot that happens to show up for a dictatorship.bah.gif

• Like 1

These buggers can't see beyond Bangkok. "The public" does not support the dems in the majority. That is why dems are so against elections: they will lose. "The public" does not want them, so they call on trad backers the military. I wonder what would happen if red shirts laid siege to Bangkok and stopped the supply of food? Maybe then they might respect "country bumpkins" who produce the food they eat....

• Like 1

I like the old generals. The new ones are pussies.

I think, the new ones, were for sale, that is why Thaksin has them in his pocket. Money #1 xsick.gif.pagespeed.ic.tVTSNn-2vr.pngwai.gif

Next time you meet one of the current generals, maybe you'll say this to his face?

Love it.

Existing and retired generals are solidified in this. Col. Romklao isn't forgotten.

These buggers can't see beyond Bangkok. "The public" does not support the dems in the majority. That is why dems are so against elections: they will lose. "The public" does not want them, so they call on trad backers the military. I wonder what would happen if red shirts laid siege to Bangkok and stopped the supply of food? Maybe then they might respect "country bumpkins" who produce the food they eat....

I wonder what would happen if red shirts laid siege to Bangkok.

Didn't they already do that in 2010?

• Like 1

I wonder what would happen if red shirts laid siege to Bangkok.

Didn't they already do that in 2010?

I presume if the Democrats by hook or crook were somehow shoehorned back into Govt, what we saw in 2010 would be child's play compared to if it happened again, and in terms of the general state of protesting (non violent) i would completely agree.The military know this which is why they are staying well out of it.

Back the public?

How do you decide the will of the public?

Its a prickly question. Very difficult to remedy. But the public "will" is already identified as wanting and needing change, or as they put it "much needed reform".

Usually, in other countries, it comes about by the ongoing process of transparency. This is not an overnight thing. Constant pressure being applied, through investigations and exposures of individual corruption.

Then attention given to appropriate sentences being given and Thailand has a long way to go on that one.

One step at a time. One case at a time.

As it is the public are prepared to make a lot of noise which dies down the next day, week, or month but individuals have to take on the responsibility of working at the investigations, one case at a time.

At least this latest commotion has let the government know beyond doubt, what the general public feel about Thaksin and any suggestion he returns

a free man, or a guiltless criminal.

Call it what you want, but, over turning ptp has nothing to do with backing the public. This statement would suggest that there is some kind of majority in supporting Suthep, which is highly unlikely.

These people know nothing about freedom whatsoever.

Back the public?

How do you decide the will of the public?

Its a prickly question. Very difficult to remedy. But the public "will" is already identified as wanting and needing change, or as they put it "much needed reform".

Usually, in other countries, it comes about by the ongoing process of transparency. This is not an overnight thing. Constant pressure being applied, through investigations and exposures of individual corruption.

Then attention given to appropriate sentences being given and Thailand has a long way to go on that one.

One step at a time. One case at a time.

As it is the public are prepared to make a lot of noise which dies down the next day, week, or month but individuals have to take on the responsibility of working at the investigations, one case at a time.

At least this latest commotion has let the government know beyond doubt, what the general public feel about Thaksin and any suggestion he returns

a free man, or a guiltless criminal.

Call it what you want, but, over turning ptp has nothing to do with backing the public. This statement would suggest that there is some kind of majority in supporting Suthep, which is highly unlikely.

These people know nothing about freedom whatsoever.

Open your eyes. Millions of people were on the street suppoerting Suthep.

Suthep represents the "public".

Suthep's will is the "Public" will.

what we saw in 2010 would be child's play ... The military know this which is why they are staying well out of it.

In my view there was nothing child's play In 2010.

Do you really think the military is afraid?

Yes, i think they are afraid of the repercussions of it happening again, and how much support they would have both from asking their own troops to turn their guns on their own rural countryman or from the international community. In addition, i am sure they are mindful on a personal level of ending up in somewhere like the Hague, such is the tit for tat nature of Thai politics.

And you have completely butchered my quote and at no point have i downplayed events of 2010, but you know that.

• Like 1

I like the old generals. The new ones are pussies.

I think, the new ones, were for sale, that is why Thaksin has them in his pocket. Money #1 xsick.gif.pagespeed.ic.tVTSNn-2vr.png

wai.gif

Thaksin, Thaksin, Thaksin, the military falls under political control in all democracies other than Thailand of course. So after the "un" Democrats lose the next election are we still going to here this Thaksin bleating? I think so.

Thailand has to mature as Japan and others had to, it's just a little slower here!

Actually it probably has more to do with every election Thaksin takes part in being rigged in his favour ( as proven by 3 parties dissolved and banned for proven electoral fraud ). Also ridiculous populist policies that cripple the country's economy ( such as the rice scam ). So stop with your bullshit rhetoric and let's have some facts please.