PM Yingluck turns down call for resignation

webfact

None. They voted for her brother.

Her brother wasn't on the party list. The 297 MP's that voted for Yingluck to become PM didn't vote for Thaksin either.

Her mandate is undisputed.

I dispute it - it's hypocritical to do away with appointed senators when you have an appointed (Note NOT Elected) PM

If nobody in the electorate voted for her, how is this democratic?

She was chosen because she is her brother's sister

Hell! She wasn't even a member of PTP and even now isn't the leader

It's all a big con

She was first on the party list vote for the party that garnered the most votes. You don't get any closer to being elected into the role directly under Thailand's system, or any parliamentary system for that matter. I don't know of any country where the office of PM is elected by direct suffrage. People knew what they were getting when they voted for PT.

You're asserting that Thaksin shoehorned her into the role because he wanted his sister as proxy. I disagree: any other PT stooge would have served his interests just as well. I'm advancing instead the proposition that PT executives instead chose to put a Shinnawatra on top of their party list because they knew that would net them the most votes in the election. The name may be reviled in Bangkok but in the Northeast it's still very popular.

Is it really a con if the voters know exactly what they're going to get, and vote for it anyway?

Yes. If the real PM is a criminal on the run

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

She wasn't elected.

PTP were elected and she was put up as a puppet to get the Thaksin vote. To an educated person... 'Thaksin' was elected. Seeing as Thaksin was ousted for corruption, then nobody REPRESENTING him should be able to sit in power over the land.

She knows nothing of politics, she is a danger to this country, she is a danger to the economy with the Thaksin populist policies, and if you hadn't noticed it... There are millions in Thailand that want to 'un-elect her, by bloody force if necessary.

If Thaksin is prepared for a bloody war just to keep his puppet there, then that says a lot about the guy while he sits sipping fine wines in Dubai and catching up on the daily news on how many people have lost their lives in 'HIS NAME'!

Do you not believe that this can no longer descend into a massive blood loss?

Do you not think that Yingluck probably wants out of this but can't do it because of pressure from Thaksin?

There may only be one way to resolve this issue. Suthep was right. If this all goes crazy, better look for a Thai speaking school in UAE because if Yingluck has to join brother, then her son will obviously need to follow her.

Edited by Nibbles48

Her brother wasn't on the party list. The 297 MP's that voted for Yingluck to become PM didn't vote for Thaksin either.

I dispute it - it's hypocritical to do away with appointed senators when you have an appointed (Note NOT Elected) PM

It's all a big con

The Thai PM is not directly elected, so disputing her mandate on that basis only shows ignorance about the electoral process. The Thai PM however is indirectly elected, elected by Mp's who in turn are elected by either the constituenty or by party list, which in both cases is done by the electorate. So yes the Thai PM is not appointed but democratically elected. Futhermore, as far as I know Yingluck was on the party list in 2011 and ran the PT campaign. Certainly the 15.7 million people that voted PT on the party list, mist have had a pretty good understanding who they were voting for.

By the way, this isn't special, as in many countries the PM isn't directly elected.

She is there for her DNA. Not her political experience and that's not democratic.

Find me another PM in the whole world in such a situation

Kim Jong Un

• Like 2

It's all a big con

The Thai PM is not directly elected, so disputing her mandate on that basis only shows ignorance about the electoral process. The Thai PM however is indirectly elected, elected by Mp's who in turn are elected by either the constituenty or by party list, which in both cases is done by the electorate. So yes the Thai PM is not appointed but democratically elected. Futhermore, as far as I know Yingluck was on the party list in 2011 and ran the PT campaign. Certainly the 15.7 million people that voted PT on the party list, mist have had a pretty good understanding who they were voting for.

By the way, this isn't special, as in many countries the PM isn't directly elected.

If ignorance was a bar to posting on TV it would be a very quiet Forum!

It's all a big con

That.s how it works in the UK.

jb1

It's all a big con

I'm sure most people here would contest this, as they say even Abhisit was legally elected PM. Yingluck's party actually won the election and won with her at the head of the campaign as prospective PM. She was then voted PM by parliament and it didn't even require the assistance of the courts, military or PAD! But even if PT had voted for some complete unknown as PM after Yingluck had lead the election campaign, that would be fine as it's the vote in parliament that counts, not the issues surrounding it.

Its as undemocratic as giving all the sheep a vote in new Zealand

Just a reminder to our yellow shirted friends that Suthep was model politician in his years in government.

In1995, as part of the Sor Por Kor 4-01 land reform scheme, Suthep gave title deeds to 592 plots of land in Khao Sam Liam, Kamala and Nakkerd hills of Phuket province to 489 farmers. It was later found that members of 11 wealthy families in Phuket were among the recipients. Suthep addressed a huge crowd in his Surat Thani constituency a month before a no-confidence debate and called on his supporters to march on Bangkok in the hundreds of thousands to defend his reputation.The scandal led Prime Minister Chuan Leekpaiof the Democrat Party to dissolve the House of Representatives in July 1995 in order to avoid the no-confidence debate. In subsequent elections, Thai Nation Party won a majority, leading to the downfall of Chuan Leekpai's Democrat Party-led government.

In 2009, Suthep was accused of violating the Constituion of Thailand by holding equity in a media firm that had received concessions from the government. Under the 1997 Constitution of Thailand, which Suthep had supported, Members of Parliament are banned from holding stakes in companies which have received government concessions. In July 2009, the Election Commission announced that it would seek a ruling by the Constitutional Court to disqualify Suthep.

Suthep held a press conference a day later, announcing his decision to resign from Parliament. Suthep's resignation as an MP did not affect his status as a Deputy Prime Minister and as a Cabinet member. If his case had been submitted to the Constitution Court, he would have been suspended from duty as Deputy Prime Minister. He insisted his resignation was not a proof that he had done anything wrong but that he was worried about status as Deputy Prime Minister.

Perhaps, our yellow buddies may like to list the inappropriate behaviour(s) of PM Yingluck Shiniwatra, as I cant find anything on Wikipedia.

I don't take sides, but the yellow-leaning bunch seem to be avoiding this post like the plague. Please make a note that I did not flag this post as liked.

Someone always tries to stop a lively argument by bringing in facts.cheesy.gif

Edited by FangFerang

She was first on the party list vote for the party that garnered the most votes. You don't get any closer to being elected into the role directly under Thailand's system, or any parliamentary system for that matter. I don't know of any country where the office of PM is elected by direct suffrage. People knew what they were getting when they voted for PT.

You're asserting that Thaksin shoehorned her into the role because he wanted his sister as proxy. I disagree: any other PT stooge would have served his interests just as well. I'm advancing instead the proposition that PT executives instead chose to put a Shinnawatra on top of their party list because they knew that would net them the most votes in the election. The name may be reviled in Bangkok but in the Northeast it's still very popular.

Is it really a con if the voters know exactly what they're going to get, and vote for it anyway?

Zlot, let's not blow smoke. YL is first on the PT party list because she is head of the Party. Abhisit is first on the Dem's list because he is head of the Dem's. That is all that means.

I agree, people knew what they were getting when they voted PT. Thaksin openly said she is his proxy. He chose her not anyone else, so it is not for you to say any other "PT stooge" would have served his interests just as well. That was his decision to make, not yours.

My view is that this isn't about politics. The protests aren't because certain people want the Democrats to be the ruling Party. Actually, I doubt they could care less. There are other issues at play.

Know a few people that voted for PT last time who wouldn't have voted for Thaksin if he'd been their leader. But at least one won't be voting PT again. Not after the rice scheme (Dems won't be getting his vote either though). Noticed when I was in Issan earlier in the year, the few people* I chatted to about politics seemed more enthused about YL than they did Thaksin. In Chiang Mai they still seem more Thaksin orientated. But this is very a superficial analysis. Polls consistently seemed to show Yingluck was significantly more popular than Thaksin during the last couple of years though. In their view, she's still a Shinawatra, but without the baggage of Thaksin I guess.

*OK, it was mainly a drunken head teacher and another teacher from Kalasin getting drunk in a bar in Nong Khai at 3pm, they had supposedly been to Udon for a conference earlier that day and had opted for some drinking in NK before they returned. I remember asking them if they were red shirts and they were like 'Of course. We're all red shirts. Everyone around here is red!'

Well, technically, her mandate is disputed, by the tens of thousands who have been disputing it on the streets of Bangkok and cities around the country lately. Just saying...

Well yes...so now let's see who the people vote for in the general elections in Feb

• Like 1

Yingluck's corruption is just as illegal as Suthep's and all the other Thai, and other countries', politicians.

But if the Thai people choose to elect her party again, she has the right to be Prime Minister.

Far more corrupt, IMO, are those calling for the election to be postponed and a non-democratic junta put in place.

As far as I know she has not been convicted for any corruption charges, sure her brother has but that does not make her guilty.

If all the other side has to offer is guilt by association or that she is a puppet (which I have never seen any proof) they have no chance of winning a election ever! There only platform seems to be tell lives often enough all the time and sooner or later you will get a few people to believe.

Whilst she has not been convicted, she spends very little time doing her job to try and avoid the muck sticking to her, meanwhile there is plenty of evidence of the cronies and brown nosers doing corrupt things. They gave a new passport to the convicted criminal for one, that is bad enough in itself ! She is an absolute puppet who has no clue what she is doing and has never done anything to make me think she has any clue, she just blindly follows orders from the fugitive. She won't answer reporter's questions and walks away as she doesn't know what those political words mean...and as for the economy she has no clue and neither does she care, as long as this job makes her richer and richer and lets her go on lots of expensive shopping trips....

Edited by tingtongteesood

She is there for her DNA. Not her political experience and that's not democratic.

you are acting silly. How she got to lead PT is inconsequential. What matters is that she did run and PT did receive 265 seats in parliament, it doesn't get more democratic, since the Thai electorate gave PT these seats, knowing full well how and why she ran. Edited by sjaak327
  • Like 1

you are acting silly. How she got to lead PT is inconsequential. What matters is that she did run and PT did receive 265 seats in parliament, it doesn't get more democratic, since the Thai electorate gave PT these seats, knowing full well how and why she ran.

Makes it clear that the Thai Democracy is still in it's infancy.

It's all a big con

"Is it really a con if the voters know exactly what they're going to get, and vote for it anyway?"

Conversely, I wonder what the Thai citizens who voted for the "Friends of Newin" MP's thought when their MP's took their votes over to the democrats and hence enabled abhisit to be voted in as PM?

She toasted the opposition in the last election and will probably increase the margin in Feb. Its a good choice and good to see her not be discouraged by low lifes such as Suthep who the other day make a disappointing remark towards Yinglucks 10 year old son.

• Like 1

It's all a big con

Wrong,blood is thicker than water.

Yingluck's corruption is just as illegal as Suthep's and all the other Thai, and other countries', politicians.

But if the Thai people choose to elect her party again, she has the right to be Prime Minister.

Far more corrupt, IMO, are those calling for the election to be postponed and a non-democratic junta put in place.

As far as I know she has not been convicted for any corruption charges, sure her brother has but that does not make her guilty.

If all the other side has to offer is guilt by association or that she is a puppet (which I have never seen any proof) they have no chance of winning a election ever! There only platform seems to be tell lives often enough all the time and sooner or later you will get a few people to believe.

She hasn't been convicted on any charges, despite clear evidence of law-breaking, starting with her committing perjury. Which is the whole point of the protests - it doesn't matter how rich, powerful or popular you are, you shouldn't be above the law. Being elected is not a licence to ride rough-shod over the rest of the electorate, or to make laws to benefit your family, or to continue inept and catastrophically expensive policies to pander to your voter base and fill the pockets of you and your cronies.

• Like 2

you are acting silly. How she got to lead PT is inconsequential. What matters is that she did run and PT did receive 265 seats in parliament, it doesn't get more democratic, since the Thai electorate gave PT these seats, knowing full well how and why she ran.

Makes it clear that the Thai Democracy is still in it's infancy.

Why ? Because the Thai electorate didn't vote for the one you preferred ? Her reasons for running were clear, and so was the message the Thai electorate sent out, the fact of the matter is they preferred her over Mark. A good democrat would maybe start wondering why, instead of screaming vote buying and other silly stuf.

• Like 2

I understand Thaksin's criminal wrong doing. Suthep's as well, but I don't know of anything in Yingluk's past, shady or not.

So while I am no fan of her populist schemes and the amnesty legislation, she was elected democratically and the amnesty bill

got Reds and Yellows off the hook not just her brother and the Redshirt members. While not perfect democracy is the best form

of government we have. Suthep if he really wants to end political corruption he should work toward in in the framework of

democracy. However I am a bit of a cynical and think he wants to stop corruption by the Red shirts but keep things status quo

in the Yellow camp.

well on the other hand she has been elected ...so why resign now ?

Because if she doesn't resign, then people may up dying in an attempt to remove her!

Why the heck can't Thais follow their own laws for a change ? the caretaker PM is the one previously in power when there is a dissolution and elections called. Abhisit was caretaker PM in the lead up to the 2011 elections.Yingluck has not had any real charges against her apart from a load of shouting by this clown Suthep there is no reason for her to step down when its being put back to the people to decide, the same as Abhisit did.

Get on with the flipping elections and contest it with the whiter than white, reform loving, incorruptible ever so popular Suthep and co. Im sure the people will come out in their millions to back him. thumbsup.gif

She wasn't elected.

PTP were elected and she was put up as a puppet to get the Thaksin vote. To an educated person... 'Thaksin' was elected. Seeing as Thaksin was ousted for corruption, then nobody REPRESENTING him should be able to sit in power over the land.

She knows nothing of politics, she is a danger to this country, she is a danger to the economy with the Thaksin populist policies, and if you hadn't noticed it... There are millions in Thailand that want to 'un-elect her, by bloody force if necessary.

If Thaksin is prepared for a bloody war just to keep his puppet there, then that says a lot about the guy while he sits sipping fine wines in Dubai and catching up on the daily news on how many people have lost their lives in 'HIS NAME'!

Do you not believe that this can no longer descend into a massive blood loss?

Do you not think that Yingluck probably wants out of this but can't do it because of pressure from Thaksin?

There may only be one way to resolve this issue. Suthep was right. If this all goes crazy, better look for a Thai speaking school in UAE because if Yingluck has to join brother, then her son will obviously need to follow her.

Your rants are getting more and more inflammatory and hysterical ThainyTim, your impotent fury is a wonder to behold, absolutely hilarious. I can practically see the steam coming out of your ears from here! The biggest danger to this country is this seditious nonsense you are spouting. "Millions in Thailand that want to un-elect her, by bloody force if necessary". "Descend into a massive blood loss". "Better look for a Thai speaking school in Dubai". Etc etc. I presume these are the views of your Thai wife and family, three of whom you have said were ardent fans of the present government, but now have miraculously 'seen the light', and will now be voting for Suthep. Except that they won't will they, because Khun Suthep doesn't believe in one person-one vote, ie democracy. No sir, nothing as vulgar as that for him! I assume where you come from the right to a vote is taken for granted, yet here you are on here, day after day supporting the taking away of this basic right from the Thai people. Or are you one of these naive people who believe that Suthep and his self appointed 'Great and Good' who want to take over the country, deep down, are all benign democracy loving people who after getting their hands on power and their feet under the table, will be prepared to give all this up and have a free election knowing the result will definitely mean another drubbing at the hands of the electorate? Hmm!

I think you should calm down and take a few deep breaths before posting any more of this dangerous, intimidatory, and quite frankly childish nonsense. Perhaps a new user name may be in order soon, you are on your fourth in just a couple of weeks or so, must be some kind of record.

BTW, loved your Hans Christian Andersen effort on the General Topics forum!smile.png

• Like 2

well on the other hand she has been elected ...so why resign now ?

Because if she doesn't resign, then people may up dying in an attempt to remove her!

Why the heck can't Thais follow their own laws for a change ? the caretaker PM is the one previously in power when there is a dissolution and elections called. Abhisit was caretaker PM in the lead up to the 2011 elections.Yingluck has not had any real charges against her apart from a load of shouting by this clown Suthep there is no reason for her to step down when its being put back to the people to decide, the same as Abhisit did.

Get on with the flipping elections and contest it with the whiter than white, reform loving, incorruptible ever so popular Suthep and co. Im sure the people will come out in their millions to back him. thumbsup.gif

Can you see the DSI, AG or RTP following up on anything and pressing charges? The illegally issued passport, and failure to answer the Ombudsman's questions for over 2 years would be enough to ensure the resignation of most PM's in a democratic country.

But democracy is a mockery here.

• Like 1