Farang Pricing At Its Worst.

Nibbles48

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I cannot believe some of the retorts here on this subject! I read a book, sometimes I enjoy it, sometimes I suffer it, sometimes I puts it down and forget it. I seldom post-analyse it for its content. I have some doubts about a lot of these posters who say "I've been here for xxx years ." I've been regularly visiting the Far East from the early fifties - honestly - and throughout the area the "Farang" or whatever he is called in whichever country, has always been asked to pay more than the locals. In those far off days I was advised that it was always wise to bargain, and I've been chased out of a market and followed to others, for being to "clever" at it! Farangs have always, and will always be cheated, in whatever market place they go to, but the answer is to be as clever as the seller! Even in the Malls I bargain, and in most cases win! If I dont get a reduction, I go somewhere else. I walked away from "Van Hueson" shirts and been chased through the market to clinch the deal. Better a lost profit than a lost sale! Keep the3 "tales" coming, they are good entertainment!

I

To all the Idiots that think it doesn't go on I would like to know what planet your on.

They are on the thai apologists planet, and will NEVER believe one negative word about a thai. They are pathetic, period.

If you do not follow the Falang is always taken advantage of BS that many post to all the time with claims they are double priced, Then state it is a common practice in Thailand, that vendor told them to their face, "This is Thailand and Falangs are required to pay more".

Plain and simple it is not a common practice, because if it was we the long time residents of the country would have been told the same thing. Most of you ,even if it did not happen to you jump on the anti-Thai bandwagon, If some one has honestly stated that has never happen to him the haters, ID him as a Thai-apologist, I prefer to label myself as "a non-believer of the Farang anti-Thai BS'ers clan".

There is double pricing at the state parks, is nothing new common knowledge to every long time resident in Thailand, as most of us do not go to those sites.

Varangkul- post confuses double pricing with bargaining at a market where most items may not have a price, the common practice the "world over" is to ask a higher price so you have a leeway in getting the price you want for the item sold, and the buyer feeling he got a good deal.

Other posters have complained that a Tee-shirt marked at a certain price, and they ask for a bigger size over the normal X-large, XXtra large that are price higher as double pricing . Back in the home country that is a common practice, at Walmart, K-mart a t-shirt is priced at $10.00 larger sizes are two dollars more, as I have for most of my life had to purchase Big and Tall sizes and that is a very common practice in the States!

Another poster post to his son being double-price for an amusement ride in Chaing Mai, because he is big for his age. Also another common practice back home as they have "weight limits" on their rides and have tall-ness limit marks, if you complain they ask the child to stand under the marked limit, if he is taller, you have to pay a higher price!

Now, that leaves the people that claim they have been told to their face, "This is Thailand, Falang's are required to pay a higher price".

Now that Has Never happened to me in 13 years. Plain and simple and I for that fact alone, will say it is not a common practice in Thailand.

Cheers

• Like 1

Is it Thursday already? I thought Thursday was the trot out the old Farang pricing threads.....Wednesday is 'Thai bad driving skills" topics.....sheesh somebody send the newbie the list of topics/days!

I heard the same story once...except the shop keeper saw the fat, lazy bastard of a Falang and ran after the wife to say she could do better and to dump the fat, lazy bastard....knowing her stupid farang husband could not understand even the basics of Thai told her husband the shop keeper was a bad person wanting to charge her extra because her husband was a farang.

Funny world this is.

55555. Good one. This is probably more believable than the OP's version.

"It never happened to me, hence is not possible".

"You do not understand, my girl is different".

"Don't worry, go to the police to sort it out".

"In any situation, all depends by your attitude".

Gotta love these lines. They depict very well the mental state of whose do believe them.

Unfortunately their preferred pasttime is to come to threads spewing judgment.

Perhaps it has more to do with where you are living. In Udon, I have not yet seen dual pricing, neither for clothes, food, or haircuts. My wife goes to the beauty shop down the street and gets a 200 baht doo.

However, it does stand to reason that we are handicapped when haggling at an open market. I have seen this in many countries, not only Thailand. There are greedy people and good people all over the world, by the way.

No we're not, know what you want to pay and stick to it.......dead easy.

I cannot believe some of the retorts here on this subject! I read a book, sometimes I enjoy it, sometimes I suffer it, sometimes I puts it down and forget it. I seldom post-analyse it for its content. I have some doubts about a lot of these posters who say "I've been here for xxx years ." I've been regularly visiting the Far East from the early fifties - honestly - and throughout the area the "Farang" or whatever he is called in whichever country, has always been asked to pay more than the locals. In those far off days I was advised that it was always wise to bargain, and I've been chased out of a market and followed to others, for being to "clever" at it! Farangs have always, and will always be cheated, in whatever market place they go to, but the answer is to be as clever as the seller! Even in the Malls I bargain, and in most cases win! If I dont get a reduction, I go somewhere else. I walked away from "Van Hueson" shirts and been chased through the market to clinch the deal. Better a lost profit than a lost sale! Keep the3 "tales" coming, they are good entertainment!

I

To all the Idiots that think it doesn't go on I would like to know what planet your on.

They are on the thai apologists planet, and will NEVER believe one negative word about a thai. They are pathetic, period.

If you do not follow the Falang is always taken advantage of BS that many post to all the time with claims they are double priced, Then state it is a common practice in Thailand, that vendor told them to their face, "This is Thailand and Falangs are required to pay more".

Plain and simple it is not a common practice, because if it was we the long time residents of the country would have been told the same thing. Most of you ,even if it did not happen to you jump on the anti-Thai bandwagon, If some one has honestly stated that has never happen to him the haters, ID him as a Thai-apologist, I prefer to label myself as "a non-believer of the Farang anti-Thai BS'ers clan".

There is double pricing at the state parks, is nothing new common knowledge to every long time resident in Thailand, as most of us do not go to those sites.

Varangkul- post confuses double pricing with bargaining at a market where most items may not have a price, the common practice the "world over" is to ask a higher price so you have a leeway in getting the price you want for the item sold, and the buyer feeling he got a good deal.

Other posters have complained that a Tee-shirt marked at a certain price, and they ask for a bigger size over the normal X-large, XXtra large that are price higher as double pricing . Back in the home country that is a common practice, at Walmart, K-mart a t-shirt is priced at $10.00 larger sizes are two dollars more, as I have for most of my life had to purchase Big and Tall sizes and that is a very common practice in the States!

Another poster post to his son being double-price for an amusement ride in Chaing Mai, because he is big for his age. Also another common practice back home as they have "weight limits" on their rides and have tall-ness limit marks, if you complain they ask the child to stand under the marked limit, if he is taller, you have to pay a higher price!

Now, that leaves the people that claim they have been told to their face, "This is Thailand, Falang's are required to pay a higher price".

Now that Has Never happened to me in 13 years. Plain and simple and I for that fact alone, will say it is not a common practice in Thailand.

Cheers

And if you produce a Thai driving licence you will get into most Public attractions at Thai prices.

• Like 1

The unbelievable part is that they got the money back. I have never experienced anything like this, but I don't know Thais to give a refund easily. I assumed she would accept the sale after some resistance or just take the pants back and not want to give the money back. A little weird.

I do not deny that people could have problems making purchases, as it has happened all over the world and Thailand should not be any different.

What I do dispute is that the "woe is me" Farang add to that vendors have told them to their face "That the Falang's are required to pay more" for a purchase in Thailand, that is the statement I take "issue" with, and they add insult to injury that.

1. It has happened to all but some are to dense to realize it happens to them.

2. They also believe all Falang's are not capable to do their own shopping alone, must depend on their wife's.

3. That the Thai wife's plot with the salesperson to overcharge and get a cut of the overcharge.

I have always done my own shopping, and have a good idea what I will pay for a purchase and will not pay more, if the vendor does not lower the asking price to what I am willing to pay then, No Sale, I walk away and always find a vendor that will sell at a fair price. I as the purchaser controls what I buy and if the price is not right, I will not buy it. (So Simple)

How did these people that depend on someone else, buy what they needed, before they got married?

I have come to the conclusion that many of the "woe is me" type married some real winners, that will cheat their own husband and family to share an overcharge with a waiter? Many are still angry, over being outsmarted by a Rice-Farmer Daughter.and as a result hate all Thai's.

What ever their reason is, they do have a right to their opinion and story, but when they attempt to include me in their "woe as me" world and adventures.

That where I draw a line, It has not happened to me!

Cheers

Edited by kikoman

Not really double-pricing but....while trying to buy a pair of jeans the other week the lady at the stall was so so so busy on the mobile to her boyfriend/husband discussing nothing of importance I gave up after 10 minutes of trying to get her to take my money and left.

Not really double-pricing but....while trying to buy a pair of jeans the other week the lady at the stall was so so so busy on the mobile to her boyfriend/husband discussing nothing of importance I gave up after 10 minutes of trying to get her to take my money and left.

You waited 9 minutes too long.

• Like 2

Cheers

There were many posts of double pricing schemes but you cherry-picked a few examples that suit you.

The real issues here is not haggling at markets but the mentality of people who prefer to NOT make any money if they cannot screw someone for 2 or 3 time more than what the normal price is.

No, it does not happen to me daily, luckily. It does not happen even weekly or monthly, but at least once or twice a year, it DOES happen. Now it all depends on what you do. If you stay in your little village and never go anywhere around Thailand, then it may "never" happen to you.

That it is a "well-known fact" that entrance to national parks are 5 times higher for farangs than to Thais does not make it acceptable policy. It is actually one of the most striking examples of how national psyche of "farangs should pay more" propagated into government policies.

This practice is becoming more accepted even in temples (more touristy ones). Wat Arun, Wat Pho, Doi Suthep and not to mention Wat Phra Kaeow with ridiculously high price tag.

People working for a company or government who actually do not lose anything if you take your business elsewhere (National Park staff, railway staff, etc) also tend to show this behavior and there is nothing you can do to "show them" by walking away.

Still, I find private business owners the most amazing when they let sale go because they someone noticed their shameless overcharging attempt. But, thankfully, these cases are rare and typically occur in the most touristy places. That's why OP's story is interesting. It's an extreme case and it happened in Korat. So, why don't you people just take it for what it is? It's an experience a guy shared here.

No, this behavior is not specific for Thailand. It's a common practice in many poorer countries and Asia in particular. Still, it does not make it any less disgusting. So all those people who are claiming that it does not happen to them are living in their villages without going around Thailand at all, oblivious to what is happening to them or extremely lucky and should go out and buy lottery (assuming they are not simply lying about it). I can only hope I have such hassle-free stay in Thailand in the future

cheers

And if you produce a Thai driving licence you will get into most Public attractions at Thai prices.

It has not been my experience. Out of at least ten attempts I got in once for Thai price, once had to pay farang price and the rest I just turned away after they demanded 5x Thai price. It depends on the staff and if that park if frequented by the long term farangs or tourists.

It's sometimes hard to turn back after you have driven a few hundred km and run into a greedy employee. That's the only time I paid farang price at a national park (I even had a work permit application receipt, which was good enough for employment but not for the NP staff). So I simply don't go to national parks any more.

Cheers

There were many posts of double pricing schemes but you cherry-picked a few examples that suit you.

The real issues here is not haggling at markets but the mentality of people who prefer to NOT make any money if they cannot screw someone for 2 or 3 time more than what the normal price is.

No, it does not happen to me daily, luckily. It does not happen even weekly or monthly, but at least once or twice a year, it DOES happen. Now it all depends on what you do. If you stay in your little village and never go anywhere around Thailand, then it may "never" happen to you.

That it is a "well-known fact" that entrance to national parks are 5 times higher for farangs than to Thais does not make it acceptable policy. It is actually one of the most striking examples of how national psyche of "farangs should pay more" propagated into government policies.

This practice is becoming more accepted even in temples (more touristy ones). Wat Arun, Wat Pho, Doi Suthep and not to mention Wat Phra Kaeow with ridiculously high price tag.

People working for a company or government who actually do not lose anything if you take your business elsewhere (National Park staff, railway staff, etc) also tend to show this behavior and there is nothing you can do to "show them" by walking away.

Still, I find private business owners the most amazing when they let sale go because they someone noticed their shameless overcharging attempt. But, thankfully, these cases are rare and typically occur in the most touristy places. That's why OP's story is interesting. It's an extreme case and it happened in Korat. So, why don't you people just take it for what it is? It's an experience a guy shared here.

No, this behavior is not specific for Thailand. It's a common practice in many poorer countries and Asia in particular. Still, it does not make it any less disgusting. So all those people who are claiming that it does not happen to them are living in their villages without going around Thailand at all, oblivious to what is happening to them or extremely lucky and should go out and buy lottery (assuming they are not simply lying about it). I can only hope I have such hassle-free stay in Thailand in the future

cheers

Your statement confirms more my statement that I posted to, you said you may run into it once or twice a year that it does happen, [RE: Post #218] My statement that some people have problems while making purchases happen all over the world and Thailand is no different. I take issue with those posters that state that it is common knowledge in Thailand "That Farangs are required to pay more" and that it is a common practice in Thailand.

I state no one has ever wanted to charge me more because "This is Thailand and Farangs pay more" which is an response to those that say all Farangs are double priced, but they are to dumb to realize that they are.

I found out 12 years ago at state parks that Farangs are charged more than Thai's and have not sought to go to a State park since then, It only happened to me once.

I stand by my response to those people, That say all farangs are double priced, it has not happened to me in 13 years!

Cheers

Edited by kikoman

I state no one has ever wanted to charge me more because "This is Thailand and Farangs pay more" which is an response to those that say all Farangs are double priced, but they are to dumb to realize that they are.

I found out 12 years ago at state parks that Farangs are charged more than Thai's and have not sought to go to a State park since then, It only happened to me once.

I stand by my response to those people, That say all farangs are double priced, it has not happened to me in 13 years!

Cheers

I absolutely agree with you Kilkoman, 14 years in Thailand I have never come across the statement ""This is Thailand and Farangs pay more" or been charged a higher price because "This is Thailand and Farangs pay more".

But thats a long way from saying I have not been charged more in Thailand because I am a foreigner.

I don't get charged more for being a foreigner at the local shop or restaurant where I am known personally, but that again is a long way from saying I don't get charged more for being a foreigner at shops or restaurants.

I'm not blind and I read Thai so I do frequently see signs stating Thai prices and higher foreign prices, at national parks of course, but also at private businesses.

Like you, or anyone else, I can choose whether to give these places my business, this is an easy choice when the dual pricing policy is overt.

But where you and I see those signs on government run establishments stating a dual pricing policy, so do the Thai people who go to those places. They read what you and I read and they like you and I understand that these government run facilities have a dual pricing policy.

If the government are doing this, why then shouldn't a Thai business do likewise? As I've said above, some Thai business go as far as to overtly displaying their dual pricing policies at the entrance - its honest of them to do so (though I notice they often use the Thai numeral script of the Thai prices - odd since I've almost never seen Thai people using that script in their everyday usage of writing down numbers… perhaps they aren't being as overt as I have assumed).

Given the official dual charging at government run establishments, the demonstrable overt copying of that practice by some Thai private businesses it is awfully difficult to argue that other private Thai businesses are not practicing dual pricing.

Less overt these might very well escape my or indeed anyone else's notice.

But then of course they do get noticed by foreigners. I have certainly noticed dual pricing on the basis of nationality.

As someone who speaks reads and writes Thai, I hear and read what is going on around me in Thai as if it where in my native language. If I ask a member of staff for a price and they in turn ask their boss and my nationality is mentioned I hear it.

If a Thai person standing in the queue near me is quoted a price I hear it, my memory is not yet so bad that I forget that price when I get my own quote.

You are right, I never hear "This is Thailand and Farangs pay more", I've never been chased down the street for an additional 'Farang supplement' to the price I have paid or anyone else has paid on behalf.

I absolutely have with my own ears heard in a language I speak and understand heard the price adjusted upwards for 'the Farang' and I absolutely have with my own ears in a language I speak and understand heard a property vendor negotiating a false price with the wife of a foreigner, the foreigner standing by dumbly smiling as he's being ripped off by the vendor and his own wife.

For the record, that happened well off the tourist trail and well away from any area of high foreigner population.

But you are absolutely right …. I have never once come across… "This is Thailand and Farangs pay more" - Not said or written in English and certainly not said or written in Thai.

So I'm with you on this Kilkoman… it simply does not happen.

• Like 1

Nakhon Sawan is a lot different than Bangkok or Pattaya, I usually shop at Makro, Big C, Tesco, I have purchased my medication from the same drug store for 8 years, I have enrolled in the 30 baht health care plan and my wife says from now on my medication will be free, (that remains to be seen} The restaurants I eat at all have priced menus, I look at what they are serving prior to entering the place.

I purchase all of my XX Large tee-shirts from a stall for 180-230 baht, my wife cuts my hair, my wife makes all of my dress shirts The only items I will buy is Teak furniture and we get great deals, as we only buy what looks good and at the right prices, our food we purchase off of the market trucks that drive by our house daily, our pork we buy from my son in laws store.

My medical care I get at the local hospital and pay 20 baht for a doctors visit and 100 baht for monthly blood test, i had a complete physical, X ray, blood test, lab work for 600 baht.

The food stalls we eat at are in the 30-35 baht range and if they don't sell their wares, they do not eat, they always charge the same prices, Once a year we will go to Bangkok, We shop at Foodland, Villas and Verasu, where I purchase a years suppy of the foodstuff not available in Nakhon Sawan. This year is the first year we have not gone to visit friends in Pattaya and Sattahip.

I know what I want to purchase and the price I am willing to pay, I do not buy things on the spur of the moment.

I have always paid the posted price, posted for all Thai's and Farang, and have never been asked to pay more because I am a Farang!

Cheers

Thai apologists can be in denial of truth under the excuse of them speaking broken Thai, holding a DL, or just being handsum men, then repost until blue in the face, but that won't change the facts:

Dual pricing happens in Thailand, and not just at national parks.

Edited by paz

I often have someone trying to rip me off but only for small amounts.

A couple of years back my wife and I were looking at houses. She saw one advertised for sale down south (I forget exactly where .. maybe Rayong) and advertised at 8 million baht. She called and the owner said he was willing to negotiate the price. When we turned up and he saw I was farang the price went up to 15 million. Needless to say we walked away.

Another time we went with friends to Hua Hin. My friend, an American, is doing scientific research and teaching at a university here. His wife is a Finance Director at a top international company ( both in their late 30s). We went into a little antique shop and the owner said to his wife, "Get your "boyfriend" to buy as much as possible and I'll buy it back from you when he goes home." My friend and I both speak Thai so needless to say we all walked out.

Thais are just so greedy when they see farangs.

• Like 2

Sorry, but I find this incredibly difficult to believe.

I have had store and market stall vendors trying it on with me on goods that are not priced, but never in my whole 30 years in Thailand had anything so blatant as a store owner chasing out of a shop demanding extra money for priced up items because it was bought for a farang, plus how did the staff member at the beauticians know the OP`s wife was married to a farang if he was not there? Unless this particular staff member had psychic powers?

If you are a local they know so and want your repeat business at local prices.

Thai apologists can be in denial of truth under the excuse of them speaking broken Thai, holding a DL, or just being handsum men, then repost until blue in the face, but that won't change the facts:

Don't you like Thais?

IMHO, it only happens to those that look gullible or just come off the boat.

• Like 1

Don't you like Thais?

IMHO, it only happens to those that look gullible or just come off the boat.

That's my point exactly, it's just our fault to being farangs (the name that people like you routinely use), and we deserve it in full.

There shall be no fairness, no justice, no humanty. Only the inflexible law of the jungle, in which you probably come out as a scary big white gorilla..

How paranoid do they get?

They don't trust their Thai wife, they believe everyone is trying to steal their money, they trust no one in Thailand What a miserable life they must have, where do they hide their money at night so their wife won't steal it and share it with some handsome shop owner. When they awaken in the morning they still have to live in a country they do not like, still have to keep a close on the money, just another day in their own private Hell.

I as a village farang always get a great night sleep, leave my money on the floor and wake up to another wonderful day in a country I love, among my family and friend.

It does not get any better then that.!

Cheers

• Like 1

I've been married for 12 years and this has never happened to us.

Maybe it's time to go out shopping more.

Sent from my GT-I9070 using Tapatalk

Life must be extremely difficult for you in Thailand.

I think if some of you chose your partners better and married more attractive wives, than they wouldn`t have to visit the beauticians so often and risk being double charged for being married to farangs.

I agree to some extent, but only in an amused sense.

My wife is anything but 'easy on the eye'. In fact, she is a bit of an ugly duckling. But you will never find a more sincere and honest person, as well as fun loving and adventurous. My wife is perfect for me in every way that I find important. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

I can trust my wife to the ends of the earth. She is as honest as they come. I would say she is one of the least attractive of all the local farang wives, but all the local farangs who know us, really like her.

A lot of farangs with stunning wives I have seen, a lot of them I would not trust as far as I could throw them, and some are downright mouthy bitches with an obvious superiority complex showing off all they have because they snagged a man with money, which I personally find quite ugly.

Steady on fella. Your wife sounds lovely,,, quote "honest, adventurous, fun loving and sensitive".

Describing her as "an ugly duckling", "anything buy easy on the eye" and even worse "one of the least attractive of the farang wives" is not good. I hope your poor wife doesn't read your post to see your public betrayal.

As for dual pricing I agree it is sometimes blatant. Just today my "beautiful" girlfriend (who is actually from the Philippines) whilst buying some toys for a friends kids for christmas asked me to disappear so we didn't get ripped off. She then went off with her sister and came back spending very little,, she does speak some Thai so it helps I guess. In general I find the dual pricing annoying as well.

But as another poster stated, we have Big C, Tesco, 7 Eleven and many other chains so we can always shop there. In the end the big shops will kill of a lot of the little ones anyway over time (anyone who lives in the West has seen this i am sure). So, the locals are their own worst enemy in the end and they are probably living on borrowed time.

• Like 1

Describing her as "an ugly duckling", "anything buy easy on the eye" and even worse "one of the least attractive of the farang wives" is not good. I hope your poor wife doesn't read your post to see your public betrayal.

I admire him for being honest. However, I am guessing that there is no way for his wife to know what he said on Thai Visa.

For what it is worth, I have only known one farang in 20+ years that had what I would call really good looking wife and she was a "good girl". Of course, I have known plenty that had temporary relationships with really hot hookers, but they never seemed to last.

Along the road from Pattaya to BKK there is a market with dried snacks, 20 shops in a row who all sell the same products without showing the price.

Last weekend we were there and bought a kg of dried durian. 470 baht.

Today my friends were there (all Thai) and we asked them to bring another kg and it was 700 baht suddenly so they didn't buy it.

From now on i never buy when i don't see the price and prefer to go to Foodland only.

I admire him for being honest. However, I am guessing that there is no way for his wife to know what he said on Thai Visa.

For what it is worth, I have only known one farang in 20+ years that had what I would call really good looking wife and she was a "good girl". Of course, I have known plenty that had temporary relationships with really hot hookers, but they never seemed to last.

Relationships with really hot hookers that don't seem to last,, what a surprise. Also, why do you think that attractive women are not "good" girls? Are you referring to attractive women that have been working in bars looking for their next pay check? If so, what do you expect..

My girlfriend is beautiful, we have been together for 3.5 years and are very happy,, each year we get happier. My point was it doesn't matter if your wife / girlfriend is not amongst the best looking women in the world, very few women are, the point is you don't say it about your other half,,, don't you guys know anything about women?

Anway, I hope that they are both very happy, they seem to be and that's all that really matters in the end.