It's cold. Turn on your air conditioners

lahgon29

Maybe not the same thing but when you open the door of the fridge it will getting warmer in the room ...

Not if you manage to put the coils at the back outside and close the bedroom door it won't.

But there is the answer, move the fridge into the bedroom!

Also a ceiling fan will work better than an AC when it comes to moving the warm air around......

Someone suggested 'well if it works, why not?'..... well the electricity bill of course.

Not many ACs in Thailand are reversible, but 2 of mine are........ sadly not the one in the main bedroom.

My bedroom is warm early evening due to the late afternoon sun on the wall and through the window, so I cool it down to 23 degC before bed-time and then turn the AC off. So quiet....... but now I am disturbed by noises outside that used to be masked.

I guess there might be a warming effect from the AC, but can only think it is due to the previously stated moving of warm air from the ceiling area, and the heat from the fan motor, a thicker quilt would be a better solution.

The aircon will dry out the moisture in the room.

Indeed.

Humidity is a dual edged sword, when it is hot and humid, the moisture on your skin cannot evaporate quickly enough to cool you down, when it is cold and humid, the moisture in the air will suck the heat out of your body.

Removing the humidity in a room when the conditions are cold will not change the physical temperature, but to you it will feel warmer.

i hate to spoil an interesting theory with the fact that if you remove moisture you will feel warmer. the opposite is the case except at very low temperatures <10ºC.

Funny logic. Note that the refrigerant, once it's been cooled by compressor fan and gone through the expansion valve, is way way colder than the ambient and that if the unit did spur on, it certainly wouldn't warm the room up!

Regardless of the physics of it all, I accidentally left an aircon on in one of our rooms the first day of the latest cool spell here in bangkok.

Guess what, that room was warmer than outside.

On another note, dealing with unfamiliar temps with stupid actions isn't combined to Thailand. When I used to work in London and we had a stretch of + 28 degree weather, the Brits would turn on the aircon AND open the windows. Couldn't be told otherwise.

The aircon will dry out the moisture in the room.

Indeed.

Humidity is a dual edged sword, when it is hot and humid, the moisture on your skin cannot evaporate quickly enough to cool you down, when it is cold and humid, the moisture in the air will suck the heat out of your body.

Removing the humidity in a room when the conditions are cold will not change the physical temperature, but to you it will feel warmer.

i hate to spoil an interesting theory with the fact that if you remove moisture you will feel warmer. the opposite is the case except at very low temperatures <10ºC.

Only if you are cold blooded Herr Doctor,

setting the A/C to 25 when the temperature in the room is 15 means that the A/c will never go on since the ambient temperature is already lower than the desired set temperature., the A/C will kick in if the temperature goes over 25, and will stop as soon as it falls to below 25, it is really a simple proposition,

unless the A/C is a revers cycle model and the select switch is set to "heat" those units reverse the cycle and instead of cooling the room and expelling the heat outside, they try to cool the outside and expel the heat inside thus heating the room.Some good reversible A/C units have an electric heating element that can be used for emergency heat.

You can set the A/C to "Fan only" and this might circulate some of the warmer air near the ceiling, but the affect will be negligible since that air will quickly cool down also.

A portable A/C can be used to heat a room, simply place the A/C outside the room crank it down as low as it will go,(certainly lower than ambient temperature) and place the exhaust pipe to blow inside the room.

I think most, if not all, aircons in Thailand have a dehumidifier setting which takes the moist out of the air and makes the temperature feeling more comfortable.

Have you ever noticed that when in Thailand it's 20°C you will need a coat, while the same temperature in your home country will make you sweat ?

It's because of the high humidity in the air in Thailand.

That is very true Peter,

but , and that's a big But , (no no not a big Butt get your mind out of the guttertongue.png ) in order for the A/C to remove the Humidity it has to be running,

in order that the A/C is running it will have to be set lower than the room temperature, Since it is set at less than the room temperature it will be cooling the room, any advantage that can me gained by the lower humidity will be more than negated by the drop in temperature , Boooombiggrin.png

• Like 1

That is very true Peter,

but , and that's a big But , (no no not a big Butt get your mind out of the gutter:P ) in order for the A/C to remove the Humidity it has to be running,

in order that the A/C is running it will have to be set lower than the room temperature, Since it is set at less than the room temperature it will be cooling the room, any advantage that can me gained by the lower humidity will be more than negated by the drop in temperature , Boooom:D

thumbsup.gif

It is possible to use any A/C unit to warm up a room.

1, turn on air con unit

2, Poke stick into front of wall unit until it engages with and stops the fan.,

3 Leave stick in place,

Fan motor now overheats and warms room !

NB.... This may not work a second time.

(Caveat.... not really suggesting anyone actually try this)

setting the A/C to 25 when the temperature in the room is 15 means that the A/c will never go on since the ambient temperature is already lower than the desired set temperature., the A/C will kick in if the temperature goes over 25, and will stop as soon as it falls to below 25, it is really a simple proposition,

unless the A/C is a revers cycle model and the select switch is set to "heat" those units reverse the cycle and instead of cooling the room and expelling the heat outside, they try to cool the outside and expel the heat inside thus heating the room.Some good reversible A/C units have an electric heating element that can be used for emergency heat.

You can set the A/C to "Fan only" and this might circulate some of the warmer air near the ceiling, but the affect will be negligible since that air will quickly cool down also.

A portable A/C can be used to heat a room, simply place the A/C outside the room crank it down as low as it will go,(certainly lower than ambient temperature) and place the exhaust pipe to blow inside the room.

I think most, if not all, aircons in Thailand have a dehumidifier setting which takes the moist out of the air and makes the temperature feeling more comfortable.

Have you ever noticed that when in Thailand it's 20°C you will need a coat, while the same temperature in your home country will make you sweat ?

That is very true Peter,

but , and that's a big But , (no no not a big Butt get your mind out of the guttertongue.png ) in order for the A/C to remove the Humidity it has to be running,

in order that the A/C is running it will have to be set lower than the room temperature, Since it is set at less than the room temperature it will be cooling the room, any advantage that can me gained by the lower humidity will be more than negated by the drop in temperature , Boooombiggrin.png

Now I have a surprise for you. In dehumidifying mode there is no temperature setting possible .

post-187611-0-00858100-1387433722_thumb.

• Like 1

That is very true Peter,

Now I have a surprise for you. In dehumidifying mode there is no temperature setting possible .

attachicon.gifdry setting.JPG

Yep, was waiting for that one, my unit is the same. Set the mode to the little raindrop image and the unit cycles perfectly well.

Sometimes, the best way to understand how something works is to push all the buttons.

Edited by Thaddeus

I suppose there are few reverse cycle air cons sold in Thailand. just like I discovered that my new car had no heater. I'd never heard of that one until I looked for the de-mister heater. HA!

Not only does our new car not have a heater, it doesn't have an airflow over the windscreen interior. They actually put blanking strips where the air inlets are.

So, when we went on a drive early morning, the windscreen fogged up and it was a case of having to drive with the windows open and freeze to be able to see where we were going. Even a cloth couldn't stop the screen fogging.

Amongst all the stuff we stuffed into a sea container when we moved back here from Oz was a Dimplex Oil Filled Heater.

Thought at the time we'd NEVER need it in CNX........ah well, just another example of how smart I was to pack it!

that's the best kind of room heater in my opinion. I was wishing I had one here, and I doubt they're on sale anywhere.

• Like 1

That is very true Peter,

attachicon.gifdry setting.JPG

The operative word in that note jpg is "as much as possible"

please understand that the dehumidifying affect of A/C's happens through condensation, In order for condensation to happen you need a lowering of the temperature, The dehumidifying mode might set the A/C to the highest temperature possible that will condensate the humidity in the air, but that temperature still has to be lower than ambient temperature.

let me see is I can approach the subject from a different tact.

The change of a material through it's different states, (solid, liquid, vapor) depends on the frequency it's molecules vibrate.

Solids have the lowest frequency, and gases the highest,

in order that you move from one stage to an other, energy has to be added or removed,

Imagine shaking an aple tree, you either shake it faster or you shake slower, if you shake it real fast the apples will fall.

For a gas (water vapor) to condensate to water (a liquid), energy has to be removed lowering the vibration frequency of the material,

Temperature is nothing more than the frequency materials vibrate at

lowering the frequency a material vibrates is lowering it' temperature

Edited by sirineou

Maybe not the same thing but when you open the door of the fridge it will getting warmer in the room ...

As the compressor and heat exchanger is in the room.

The AC is out side.

You are tight Chao Lao

the refrigerator removes heat from inside the refrigerator and expels the heat inside the room, every time you open the door of the refrigerator cold air escapes in the room, and the temperature in the refrigerator rises , the thermostat detects that rise in temperature activating the refrigeration cycle (compression, decompression of refrigerant) and heat is expelled via the heat exchange in the back of the refrigerator.

Any heating of the room is local.,

Theoretically, the heat expelled in the room should be equal to the cold air expelled in to the room via the opening of the door, thus no net change of temperature in the room.

I said Theoretically because heat is introduced inside the refrigeration via the introduction of new food , and the biological process of food decomposition,

to that extend since the heat that is introduced in the refrigerator is not removed from the room, the temperature in the room will rise, but such rice should be negligible.

Edited by sirineou

please understand that the dehumidifying affect of A/C's happens through condensation, In order for condensation to happen you need a lowering of the temperature, The dehumidifying mode might set the A/C to the highest temperature possible that will condensate the humidity in the air, but that temperature still has to be lower than ambient temperature.

The change of a material through it's different states, (solid, liquid, vapor) depends on the frequency it's molecules vibrate.

in order that you move from one stage to an other, energy has to be added or removed,

Imagine shaking an aple tree, you either shake it faster or you shake slower, if you shake it real fast the apples will fall.

For a gas (water vapor) to condensate to water (a liquid), energy has to be removed lowering the vibration frequency of the material,

So now explain me the following.

In Thailand the average humidity over the year is about 80%, while the average humidity in my home country in central Europe is below 70%.

When it's 20°C in Thailand, you will need a good coat because it feels like freezing, while the same temperature in my home country feels pretty comfortable.

So now explain me the following.

In Thailand the average humidity over the year is about 80%, while the average humidity in my home country in central Europe is below 70%.

When it's 20°C in Thailand, you will need a good coat because it feels like freezing, while the same temperature in my home country feels pretty comfortable.

There is no depute that relative humidity has an affect on how humans tolerate heat,.One way that Humans get rid of heat , is via perspiration, the more the air near the skin is saturated with moisture (humidity) the more difficult it is for that air to absorb the perspiration. In a 100% humid area that perspiration will not be evaporating cooling the skin down and you will feel hot. In an area with low humidity (dry air) the air will immediately absorb the perspiration, thus cooling t you down .

What is in depute is whether running your A/c will have a warming affect in a room,

to this the following facts exist

A ) the A/C will remove Humidity from a room, not add. so the room will feel cooler because of that

B ) in order for the A/C to remove the humidity it has to cool the air , making the room not only feel colder, but be colder

The combination of this facts will make a room be and feel cooler not warmer.

Edited by sirineou

This Thread is turning in to seminar ion thermodynamics, Sorry about thatsad.png

As any one married to a Thai girl know , you will never win this argument with her,on the merits of rational argument,, so put on a coat, turn on the A/C, wait until she gets nice and cold, and give her a way out.

just comment to the wife How this will make the electric bill so much higher this month,

The A/C will be off in a second.laugh.png

• Like 1

Let's continue with the seminar on Properties of Humid Air.

Quote - "A) the A/C will remove Humidity from a room, not add. so the room will feel cooler because of that" (Post 51)

To just say "humidity" is simplifying things. If your a/c cools air, it can increase one measure of humidity while decreasing another.

Cool air can hold less water vapour than warm air.

The relative humidity (RH) - the relationship between the actual mass of water in the air at a particular temperature compared to the maximum the air at that temperature can hold before condensation occurs - increases as air is cooled. At the same time the absolute humidity - kg water vapour per kg dry air - remains the same until RH is 100%.

At a certain point (100% RH) condensation will begin and the mass of water vapour in the air will decrease. RH remains constant at 100% while absolute humidity reduces.

As RH increases with cooling, its ability to absorb water - your sweat - is reduced and you feel warmer because your body isn't being cooled so much by the evaporation of perspiration. Therefore air at, say, 20C with high RH will feel warmer than 20C air at low RH. Pretty much as was said about arid conditions & humidifiers in Post 22.

So, in a way, I suppose running your a/c when it's cold CAN create the sensation of warmth in the room if it increases RH.

Edited by MartinL

Let's continue with the seminar on Properties of Humid Air.

No let's don't,, and say we did

, your premise is wrong,

we are not disusing the properties of Humid air, we are discussing weather or not turning the A?C on,, will make the room feel warmer, Any discussion about humidity is done with in that context,

We already established that if the only Thing an A/C did was remove humidity. then the concept might be true,

but it does not,

it also cools the room to a degree greater than any feeling of warmth the humidity change might induce while doing so..

My first response in this thread made exactly that point

I am sorry that some people don't get this simple concept, and others want to talk about the price of tea in china, but I said all that I can say on the subject with out boorishly repeating my self.

I am now heading to the Isaan forum where there is a very interesting thread titled "Isaan girls. Good or Bad"

I say "Good" what you thinktongue.png

Edited by sirineou

Dear Sirineou,

My most sincere & humble apologies for not realising that your proclamation on this subject was the definitive word in any discussion and that, in any event, discussions were not allowed to wander off-topic - or at least, off-topic according to your assessment of the state of the proceedings.

The principles I mentioned in my post are based on the information contained in a psychrometric chart, which forms the basis for the engineering design of all air conditioning systems and so are very much on-topic, IMO.

But never mind, I'll bow to your self-proclaimed superior knowledge and bug-out of here too.

See you in the Isaan Forum, maybe, which is my "Local". Must remember never to dispute anything you might say, though.

BTW - My Isaan girl is extremely good and I'm not only saying that for fear of contradicting you.

Bye, O Great Brain.

Dear Sirineou,

My most sincere & humble apologies for not realising that your proclamation on this subject was the definitive word in any discussion and that, in any event, discussions were not allowed to wander off-topic - or at least, off-topic according to your assessment of the state of the proceedings.

The principles I mentioned in my post are based on the information contained in a psychrometric chart, which forms the basis for the engineering design of all air conditioning systems and so are very much on-topic, IMO.

But never mind, I'll bow to your self-proclaimed superior knowledge and bug-out of here too.

See you in the Isaan Forum, maybe, which is my "Local". Must remember never to dispute anything you might say, though.

BTW - My Isaan girl is extremely good and I'm not only saying that for fear of contradicting you.

Bye, O Great Brain.

I knew If I explained my self properly you would see things my way.biggrin.png

Now be quiet, Be vely vely qwiet I am hunting wabbit.