Driving out of Bangkok - Ayutthaya + Kanchanaburi

tc4mez

My family & I will be coming over to Bangkok soon. We are planning to rent a car & drive out to Ayutthaya follow by Kanchanaburi (3-4 days) before returning to Bangkok City (3-4 days) to be covered by BTS, MRT & Taxi.

Some info:-

Travelling members - My mum (60s) + wife & me

Travelling duration - 7 to 8 days

Relying on Google Map on tablet

Using 1 week prepaid SIM

Budget for hotel per night (triple room/family room preferred) 2000-3000 baht

Places which we want to cover & need advice on:-

Ayutthaya UNESCO site

Kanchanaburi Railway Bridge

Kanchanaburi Tiger Temple

Maeklong Railway Market

Looking to spend 3-4 days on the above places & it's vicinity.

Have yet to reserve the rental car but looking at AVIS at the moment.

For Ayutthaya, is there a need to spend a night there?

If needed, any hotel recommendation?

For Kanchanaburi, is 2 night stay sufficient?

Any input is greatly appreciated, thanks in advance

tc4mez

I got a free GPS app for my tab that covers Thailand. It's not as good as TomTom or others like that, but it was OK. I like it better than Google maps since you don't need internet access, only GPS. You might think about this.

As for the tiger temple, it's a highly debated attraction. Many are advocating not to go there. Do the research on your own. But seems to be quite dodgy. Most elephant camps are in the same category. And many are hurt every year riding and being around these magnificent beasts.

http://www.travelfish.org/sight_profile/thailand/central_thailand/kanchanaburi/kanchanaburi/392

As you probably know, the bride in Kanchanaburi is not the original bridge. It's OK, but the train ride is pretty cool. Plus visiting the section where they cut the path out of solid rock. Worth a visit if you have time.

http://wikitravel.org/en/Kanchanaburi

Others can help here, but Ayutthaya can easily be done as a day trip from BKK. Getting in and out of the city with your own transport can be tough. Unless you know the city quite well.

Kanchanaburi can also be done with a taxi hired out of Bangkok. We did that several years ago with my mom and dad and it was great. No worries about driving, where to turn, police, etc. And it wasn't that expensive. Not much more than you'd pay for the car rental. You can do Kanchanaburi with only 1 nights stay. Leaving BKK early one day and returning late the next. But, there are plenty of things to do and see there. Erawan falls are beautiful.

Just be careful when staying on the river. Especially on the weekends. Huge floating disco boats go up and down. We heard Boom, Boom, Boom till the sun came up.

• Like 2

Just a note, the Mae Klong railway market (I assume you mean the one with the train going through) is in Samut Songkhram 13.4075,99.998884 there are only a few trains a day so check the timetable (somewhat inaccurate anyway) if you want to catch the train passing through.

Samut Songkhram also has a floating market if you want to make the trip worth while (IIRC it's closed on Wednesdays, do verify).

You can do it by (a slow) train from Wongwian Yai SRT station in Bangkok, to Samut Sakhon, ferry across the river, then train again to Samut Songkhram. Again check the timetables to ensure you can get the connecting train across the river.

• Like 1

Sygic SE Asia GPS app for iphone or Android. No CELLPHONE NETWORK required. Internal database.

Preload all route your routes, voice prompt.

It is unbelievably dangerous driving in Thailand. The WHO listed Thailand as the second most dangerous country in the world to drive in. BELIEVE ME, you will not be on vacation driving in Thailand, more like the most gut wrenching stressful experience you can have on the road. If you have kids in the car, it may be to much for them.

Not sure what county you are from, but unless it is the UK or a few others, you will be driving on the other side of the road everywhere you go. That combined with the Thais habit of driving in the wrong direction on highways makes for some interesting moments. You have women and children in the car?

Use extreme caution, never assume anything, if in doubt, miss your turn or just pull over.

Good luck.

The first time I went driving in Thailand I couldn't believe what I saw. You get used to it but it takes time.

I too would suggest taking a train (but.not a trip that leaves you only 1 hours time to look around). There is a bus service frim Mochit also.

I reckon you can 'do' Kanchanburi in two days but you really should go visit the Erawan waterfalls, take your bathing stuff.

Sygic SE Asia GPS app for iphone or Android. No CELLPHONE NETWORK required. Internal database.

It is unbelievably dangerous driving in Thailand. The WHO listed Thailand as the second most dangerous country in the world to drive in. BELIEVE ME, you will not be on vacation driving in Thailand, more like the most gut wrenching stressful experience you can have on the road. If you have kids in the car, it may be to much for them.

Not sure what county you are from, but unless it is the UK or a few others, you will be driving on the other side of the road everywhere you go. That combined with the Thais habit of driving in the wrong direction on highways makes for some interesting moments. You have women and children in the car?

Use extreme caution, never assume anything, if in doubt, miss your turn or just pull over.

Good luck.

Over-dramatic scaremongering.

• Like 2

I followed this guy to get to Kanchanaburi. No need for a car. Train was cheap and great fun.

http://www.renegadetravels.com/bangkok-to-kanchanaburi-river-kwai-bridge-and-death-railway/

http://www.renegadetravels.com/4-star-hotels-in-bangkok-kanchanaburi-phuket/

He also has the market and Ayutthaya. I haven't been to Ayutthaya yet. Many do it as a day trip. Depends what you want to see I suppose.

http://www.renegadetravels.com/trains-runs-through-middle-of-maeklong-market-in-thailand/

http://www.renegadetravels.com/?s=ayutthaya

Have fun.

Just rent the van with a driver - we have had great experience with them from Golden house anyway. Even living here and having a car if friends and family show up we rent a van - why drive yourself and run the chance of auto claims getting lost etc etc etc. Plus you can sleep between stops if you want. If you think about the car rental you may find the van cost with driver is the nearly the same.

I got a free GPS app for my tab that covers Thailand. It's not as good as TomTom or others like that, but it was OK. I like it better than Google maps since you don't need internet access, only GPS. You might think about this.

As for the tiger temple, it's a highly debated attraction. Many are advocating not to go there. Do the research on your own. But seems to be quite dodgy. Most elephant camps are in the same category. And many are hurt every year riding and being around these magnificent beasts.

http://www.travelfish.org/sight_profile/thailand/central_thailand/kanchanaburi/kanchanaburi/392

As you probably know, the bride in Kanchanaburi is not the original bridge. It's OK, but the train ride is pretty cool. Plus visiting the section where they cut the path out of solid rock. Worth a visit if you have time.

http://wikitravel.org/en/Kanchanaburi

Others can help here, but Ayutthaya can easily be done as a day trip from BKK. Getting in and out of the city with your own transport can be tough. Unless you know the city quite well.

Kanchanaburi can also be done with a taxi hired out of Bangkok. We did that several years ago with my mom and dad and it was great. No worries about driving, where to turn, police, etc. And it wasn't that expensive. Not much more than you'd pay for the car rental. You can do Kanchanaburi with only 1 nights stay. Leaving BKK early one day and returning late the next. But, there are plenty of things to do and see there. Erawan falls are beautiful.

Just be careful when staying on the river. Especially on the weekends. Huge floating disco boats go up and down. We heard Boom, Boom, Boom till the sun came up.

Why isn't that the original bridge if you go to the Railway Museum you will see photos of the bridge and it looks like the original.

• Like 1

The 'original' bridge was a wooden structure being built further upstream. I think that on the advice of british Pows this was abandoned and a new +later bombed) one was built in the position where you see its replacement today.

The film is not a historical reconstruction of events, the book author never visited Thailand. The river Kwai was to be found on a map so he used that name. Unfortunately a long way away so the locals simply renamed their river to keep up with tourist demand.

Good luck.

BANGKOK: -- Police say 474 road accidents killed 86 people and injured 885 between Friday and Saturday, the first two days of the so-called "seven dangerous days".

The road toll is expected to rise further over the coming days.

Yesterday, the Road Safety Center released statistics from road accidents reported on Friday and Saturday only.

Drunk driving and speeding were the major causes of accidents during the opening days of the festive period, according to Department of Probation director-general Ruenvadee Suwanmong-kol, who chaired yesterday's press conference.

Good luck.

BANGKOK: -- Police say 474 road accidents killed 86 people and injured 885 between Friday and Saturday, the first two days of the so-called "seven dangerous days".

The road toll is expected to rise further over the coming days.

Yesterday, the Road Safety Center released statistics from road accidents reported on Friday and Saturday only.

Drunk driving and speeding were the major causes of accidents during the opening days of the festive period, according to Department of Probation director-general Ruenvadee Suwanmong-kol, who chaired yesterday's press conference.

And as we know, these numbers are under reported.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/688565-thailand-ranks-the-worlds-third-in-highest-road-fatalities/

We have toured most of Thailand by personal van and never had an accident YET. The problem we have is find where we want to go, and we have lived in Thailand a long time. I would suggest hiring a van with driver to prevent lost time going in circles (or the wrong province.) All your locations of interest are an easy day ride (4 road hours or less) from Bangkok.

I have been living in Thailand for just under 3 years and I travel a lot everywhere but " I only use the train" cheap and great fun ( Pattaya - Bangkok only 31 baht)

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I've been driving in LOS for 5+ years and would definately take the train/boat/taxi route if I was visiting. I have relatives in Kanchanaburi, so have driven there often from our home in Rangsit. Uninteresting drive, but great destination. As stated prior the Hellfire Pass Museum is a must see. Sai Yok National Park has houseboats for day/overnight stay, quite cheap and great in the hot summer months. Ayutthaya is a day trip from BKK, but with so much to see I would recommend an overnight stay. Skip the driving if you can, dangerous and frustrating.