Before you start shopping, here are the key things to watch: Thai opinion

webfact

STOPPAGE TIME
Before you start shopping, here are the key things to watch

Tulsathit Taptim

BANGKOK: -- Let's avoid discussing Suthep Thaugsuban as much as we can today. His is a bandwagon screaming recklessly and fearlessly ahead in complete disregard of the possibility of its wheels coming off. We will have plenty of time to analyse it when it reaches the destination or ends in a wreck.

Although much of the following list of "Things to watch" has to do with him, we can still leave his name out, at least temporarily. To borrow many people's words of wisdom, Thai politics has become bigger than any one particular person.

So, here are major questions as Thailand teeters on towards the unknown. You must have already asked these questions, or at least some of them - I'm just putting them together. Some simply have no answers. Or none that I know of, anyhow.

1. Will she or won't she? Initial whispers from the Pheu Thai Party have it that Yingluck Shinawatra has had it and will not defend her prime minister's title. Thing is, it might not be totally up to her, as Pheu Thai will struggle to find a good replacement or even someone who may not be quite qualified but is willing to try.

Yaowapa Wongsawat would sail straight for big storms from Day One. Her husband Somchai Wongsawat must still be haunted by the Suvarnabhumi Airport seizure. Pheu Thai leader Jarupong Ruangsuwan might be eager, but a government led by him would have catastrophe written all over it even before the first Cabinet was announced.

In spite of what's happened over the past few weeks, Yingluck seemingly remains the best and most adored Pheu Thai option. Will she become a woman scorned and return to the pit of fire? Or will she have to be dragged back to the fray kicking and screaming?

Remember this name, Pongthep Thepkanchana. He might not be the most outstanding Pheu Thai politician, but the party could finally turn to him and prop him up as its prime ministerial candidate.

2. Will he or won't he? Abhisit Vejjajiva retained his Democrat leadership yesterday and has vowed to stay on the battlefield, but that won't end speculation about his future overnight. Will Abhisit continue to be Democrat leader in the next election? Or will he remain in the post come the end of next year?

He had been bruised even before the uprising led by Suthep Thaugsuban further muddied the Democrat leadership. Should someone like Surin Pitsuwan or Supachai Panitchpakdi or Korn Chatikavanij or even Jurin Laksanavisit be given the helm to refresh the party's image anytime soon?

A "Prime Minister Abhisit" would be beset by red storms from the beginning. Charges related to the 2010 Rajprasong crackdown are very much alive. One little spark and "red" protesters could fill the streets.

3. Will it or won't it? The amnesty bill is dead, the Yingluck government has always insisted. Not quite, as the bill has to be confirmed as dead by the next House of Representatives. Will the bill come back from the "grave"? What if Pheu Thai wins the next election by a landslide and someone, again, entertains the crazy idea that "the majority of Thais" want this piece of legislation? That's unlikely, but not entirely impossible.

Due to the House dissolution, the new House of Representatives has to confirm the bill within 60 days if it wants to do so. A less scary scenario has a milder version of amnesty taken up by the new House. Again, that new House will have to push the boundaries of political credibility to do that.

4. Will it or won't it II? Will the Bt2-trillion borrowing scheme stay alive? It has cleared the House of Representatives but got stuck in the Constitutional Court. If the judges veto it, as they did with the charter amendment bill for an all-elected Senate, more fuel will be thrown into the political fire.

5. Will they or won't they? Impeachment charges against the MPs and senators who passed the Senate-related charter amendment bill are very much alive. The lawmakers and ex-lawmakers face uncertain futures. Will they lose their parliamentary status after the next election?

The Senate can drag its feet on the impeachment process, but an indictment by the National Anti-Corruption Commission will be enough to raise political hell.

This is a serious matter that has been somewhat overshadowed by street turmoil, Suthep's daredevil defiance of political gravity and Yingluck's tears.

6. Will they or won't they II? Of course, will the generals "do it"? Some will say they are being pushed, but others see them as opportunists lurking in the shadows. And as usual, the "denials" made on an everyday basis mean little.

7. Will we or won't we? The nation along with the rest of the world has been told a general election will take place on February 2 next year. Will we see that happen? We have about a month and a half, and it's a period marked by endless shopping, boxing and drinking.

Can we, in approximately 45 days, be ready to undo what the past 12-13 years have done to us? A "yes" is simply optimistic and a "no" could endorse that guy Suthep. Well, we need to mention him after all.

Writer's note: This article had to be submitted before the Democrats decide what to do with the February election. The decision, surely, will have a strong bearing on the answers to some of the questions.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-12-18

• Like 1

"In spite of what's happened over the past few weeks, Yingluck seemingly remains the best and most adored Pheu Thai option. Will she become a woman scorned and return to the pit of fire? Or will she have to be dragged back to the fray kicking and screaming?"

In spite of? She's only enhanced her reputation since the amnesty bill in the eyes of most neutrals. Still I'd agree with those who say it'd be better if a Shinawatra didn't run as PM candidate for PT in this election.

If I were PT, I'd choose Chaturon for next candidate. If I were the Democrats, probably Korn or Alongkorn. Someone who can take them forward after the mess they've been in the past few years. Abhisit is tainted and has already proven he isn't the man for the job.

I normally agree / respect a lot of what Khun Tulsathit writes but IMHO he's too serious in this piece.

IMHO:

- Khun Suthep is aiming for less corruption, massive reduction in vote buying both in cash at election day and obvious & very costly populist policies, none of which will ever reduce the gap and will never get a much bigger percentage of the whole Thai population into a better quality of life through their own productivity.

- Khun Suthep is not explaining all of this very well, but that doesn't mean he's wrong.

- The battle is not yet one, the paymaster and his kin and cronies and PT (the paymasters get very rich very quickly club) will fight hard and dirty to keep the current status quo and they will not give up quickly.

- The battle is won when there are solid and watertight reforms passed properly through the legislation process and when there is an election based on long-term real benefits and without vote buying and without populist policies which have no long-term positive effect.

The biggest danger I see is that Mr. Suthep and his followers lose steam.

Ultimately I hope Mr. Suthep and his followers make things clearer and more focused and continue to get strong support .

Good luck, please have the courage, it will be long-term battle, and win the day for the long-term benefit of Thailand.

Edited by ratcatcher

if Thailand want to heal, their is only one solution: put Abhisit and Suthep in jail for long time, for the murders of 90 people in 2010!

Can you tell me what you think about jailing Thaksin for his extra judicial killings both in the 'drug wars' and in the deep south?

Do you honestly believe that Abhsit and Suthep murdered 90 people? How many of those killings were red on red or black on red?

Can you explain why the reds stole huge amounts of arms from the military and let me know if anyone was killed with these weapons?

Can you tell me why Hun Sen helped the reds by smuggling weapons and ammunition over the border from Cambodia?

Could you tell me the meaning of the speeches by the red leaders in 2010 (available on You Tube) in which they encouraged their followers to burn and commit violence?

If not .... why not?

You seem to be in possession of so-called facts about Abhisit and Suthep so why do you not have facts about Thaksin?

Let me know, please.

replying to that post is akin topost-9891-0-67085300-1387331447_thumb.jp

• Like 2

"In spite of what's happened over the past few weeks, Yingluck seemingly remains the best and most adored Pheu Thai option. Will she become a woman scorned and return to the pit of fire? Or will she have to be dragged back to the fray kicking and screaming?"

In spite of? She's only enhanced her reputation since the amnesty bill in the eyes of most neutrals. Still I'd agree with those who say it'd be better if a Shinawatra didn't run as PM candidate for PT in this election.

If I were PT, I'd choose Chaturon for next candidate. If I were the Democrats, probably Korn or Alongkorn. Someone who can take them forward after the mess they've been in the past few years. Abhisit is tainted and has already proven he isn't the man for the job.

I think your choices for both PT and Dem are sound. Chaturon Chaiseng, well educated, speaks English and doesn't carry too much baggage.

Dems with Korn sounds like a good choice, whether he's willing to take the chance is open for discussion. he certainly has the credentials.

Abhisit is a marked man with regard to 2010.

Of course Thida could always step up to the plate for PTP. I think she'd get things done and tell the desert rat where to go.

"Of course Thida could always step up to the plate for PTP. I think she'd get things done and tell the desert rat where to go."

Interesting idea...

I think your choices for both PT and Dem are sound. Chaturon Chaiseng, well educated, speaks English and doesn't carry too much baggage.

Dems with Korn sounds like a good choice, whether he's willing to take the chance is open for discussion. he certainly has the credentials.

Abhisit is a marked man with regard to 2010.

Of course Thida could always step up to the plate for PTP. I think she'd get things done and tell the desert rat where to go.

"Of course Thida could always step up to the plate for PTP. I think she'd get things done and tell the desert rat where to go."

Interesting idea...

Kinda like this.

post-9891-0-53123400-1387332169_thumb.jppost-9891-0-47503000-1387332177_thumb.jppost-9891-0-49993200-1387332219.jpg

• Like 1

if Thailand want to heal, their is only one solution: put Abhisit and Suthep in jail for long time, for the murders of 90 people in 2010!

Go to the court and tell them you are eye witness...cheesy.gif Or lynch them by yourself, if you have the b... to do it...laugh.png.pagespeed.ce.SDkxrRteka.png

• Like 1

So you forgot to include Thaksin, was the reason being he is a hero in your eyes, along with his family and cronies. Corrupt government is of no concern to you ??

You hardly deserve an answer because of your stupid rant.

"....stupid rant"

my friend you are losing your head and your mindlaugh.png alt=laugh.png pagespeed_url_hash=4020895376>

... soon you will lose for the 6th time the electionclap2.gif.pagespeed.ce.z5euFoXm0J.gif alt=clap2.gif pagespeed_url_hash=892957568 width=31 height=25>

So bender, why don't you answer the valid point about the paymaster past record, he was the pm when 2,000 Thai folks assassinated. Under your analysis he's therefore responsible. And what the the tak bai incident, same analysis, he was pm, so he's responsible.

Please share your comments on these incidents, incident of trying to divert by nasty personal comments.

Edited by scorecard
  • Like 2

There is no provision in the Thai penal code to charge someone for murder because deaths occurred from instructions made in an official capacity. If it is found that he abused his position by giving those orders then he should be charged with Corruption and the NACC should investigate the matter. The DSI is out of line.

Any Thaksin fans care to explain to me why the DSI would investigate Abhisit and Suthep for murder and completely ignore the thousands of innocent people Thaksin had killed in 2003?

• Like 2

There is no provision in the Thai penal code to charge someone for murder because deaths occurred from instructions made in an official capacity. If it is found that he abused his position by giving those orders then he should be charged with Corruption and the NACC should investigate the matter. The DSI is out of line.

Any Thaksin fans care to explain to me why the DSI would investigate Abhisit and Suthep for murder and completely ignore the thousands of innocent people Thaksin had killed in 2003?

"Any Thaksin fans care to explain to me why the DSI would investigate Abhisit and Suthep for murder and completely ignore the thousands of innocent people Thaksin had killed in 2003?"

well you might wait some time, because on this forum, it seems to me, there are only people who hate Suthep and people (like you) who hate TS....

But it goes completely wrong when some daft people whistling.gif because of their hate for TS, will show support to real criminals like Suthep.

Do you support Suthep? yes of course!

Do i support TS? please for god sake read again this thread, i already answered in my post #19 !!!!laugh.pnglaugh.pnglaugh.pnglaugh.png (i should not ask you so much, you dont bother with fact because you are blinded by hate)

Until the population have received sufficient education to understand what 'one person / one vote, majority wins' and accept it , there is no solution to the problem - since all sides pay for votes it is a level playing field.

Why do we have to have the pubs shut for elections ? If they all had a drink they might chill.....

My dear Bender, you seem to be a bit biased. You want the Dems put away for alleged crimes, but don't seem to want the same justice for the other side for their alleged crimes or even crimes some have been convicted of. If Thailand really wants to heal, all the people who have committed crimes need to go to jail for a long time. Thailand needs fresh faces, not the same old cronies of either party.

So you forgot to include Thaksin, was the reason being he is a hero in your eyes, along with his family and cronies. Corrupt government is of no concern to you ??

You hardly deserve an answer because of your stupid rant.

Bender behaves here on this board, same as Suthep on the road.

Only oneway thinking.

Like Suthep, unable to reflect sometimes himself.

"Any Thaksin fans care to explain to me why the DSI would investigate Abhisit and Suthep for murder and completely ignore the thousands of innocent people Thaksin had killed in 2003?"

well you might wait some time, because on this forum, it seems to me, there are only people who hate Suthep and people (like you) who hate TS....

But it goes completely wrong when some daft people whistling.gif because of their hate for TS, will show support to real criminals like Suthep.

Do you support Suthep? yes of course!

Do i support TS? please for god sake read again this thread, i already answered in my post #19 !!!!laugh.pnglaugh.pnglaugh.pnglaugh.png (i should not ask you so much, you dont bother with fact because you are blinded by hate)

If you don't support TS then why all the pro-government propaganda? Why this "if you don't support the government then you support Suthep" attitude?

Edited by wprime

Get real Bender.

When an illegal armed militia starts wandering the streets in your home country tell us all exactly what should the response of the elected government be.

I'd like to see a movement in PT to draft Thida for PM. I like her style and smarts. I think she'd even scare Thaksin.

You're right Frank, there could be no better way to turn off potential Pheua Thai voters.

She reminds me of my Maths teacher back in Mattayom1-3. Humourless, fearsome and utterly without charm- rather like Maths itself!

Murders my ass, they were fighting a group of heavily armed rioters that were attacking people and places indiscriminately. By the way 90 people died total but many of those were outside of the 'crackdown' and many were killed by the reds themselves. The idiots who didn't go home and decided to take on the army deserve what happened. People who were killed by reds and others who got caught in the cross fire and were not red rioters, RIP to them. All of their deaths are on Thaksin's hands. To the puppet master everyone of them is just 'collateral damage'.

• Like 2