Which Smartphone for email?

vspin134

I am getting a new smartphone soon. Currently using bold 9900 and looking for fresh device that can handle what I need. My priority is email task(I do business using emails 10 email accounts). Also nice to have social media and all too but again not main priority. Any suggestion anyone ?

There are plenty of email apps available in the play store, the best of which in my opinion (and many others) is k9 mail. I have 6 accounts setup in mine and works like a charm

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus SlimKat using Tapatalk

Edited by dharmabm

Not Samsung. Their email app is crap.

Thanks it is good to know

Good to know but to say don't buy a Samsung because their email is crap is crap in itself. Agreed the Samsung app is crap but a Samsung smart phone running Android can use any email client from playstore and Gmail kicks arse on it.

• Like 2

Why would you use Samsungs app?

Everybody knows Android Gmail app is the best email app.

If you are using phone mostly for typing, get something with screen size at least 5 inches, lots to choose from.

But if you are typing a lot, get something larger, Galaxy Note screen is 5.7 inches, I had Note 2, same screen size, those .7 inches make a huge difference, when typing.

But Note might be too big for every day use, and to use as main telephone. You need both hands to use it, screen is so large, one thumb wont reach every key.

So advising not to get Samsung is not a good advice. Op system is Android, there is no difference which manufacturers phone you use, download a good email app, and thats it. It would be like advising not to buy Vaio notebook, because you dont like some pre installed bloatware.

Sent from my C6903 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

They sell more phones worldwide than any other phone maker and you say not Samsung because of the email app...Well live and learn, just

off to dump my note on your advice..........cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

http://getandroidstuff.com/best-android-email-app-alternatives-for-free/

http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/tablets-in-the-enterprise/five-best-email-apps-for-android-tablets/

Edited by MB1

Samsung now sells 1 million mobile devices EVERY DAY

http://m.gsmarena.com/samsung_sells_1_million_mobile_devices_iper_day_i-news-7082.php

So if you dont mind their all plastic design, Samsungs are best value.

For past 2 years every time Samsung comes up with new flagship phone, that phone is the best phone on the market, at that time. S2, S3, S4 were best phones on the market, regardless of price, when released. Same goes for all three Galaxy Notes. When first Note was released exactly 2 years ago, Samsung created a whole new device, a phablet.

Another poster advised you not even consider Samsung. Dont disregard Samsung, just cos some pre installed app sucks. Try some other email apps, and use which one you like.

If you are using phone mostly for typing, get something with screen size at least 5 inches, lots to choose from.

But if you are typing a lot, get something larger, Galaxy Note screen is 5.7 inches, I had Note 2, same screen size, those .7 inches make a huge difference, when typing.

But Note might be too big for every day use, and to use as main telephone. You need both hands to use it, screen is so large, one thumb wont reach every key.

So advising not to get Samsung is not a good advice. Op system is Android, there is no difference which manufacturers phone you use, download a good email app, and thats it. It would be like advising not to buy Vaio notebook, because you dont like some pre installed bloatware.

I'm on my 3rd Samsung Android phone. It will be my last, and not just because of the email app. The complete balls-up they made of the Android 4.3 roll out comes into it. As do the creeping restrictive practices such as making certain functions not work with customised phones and of course the reported feature in 4.4 which blocks SIMs from outside the phone's home region. Time to move on.

BTW, he said he has 10 business email accounts. He doesn't say they are gmail.

• Like 1

I'm on my 3rd Samsung Android phone. It will be my last, and not just because of the email app. The complete balls-up they made of the Android 4.3 roll out comes into it. As do the creeping restrictive practices such as making certain functions not work with customised phones and of course the reported feature in 4.4 which blocks SIMs from outside the phone's home region. Time to move on.

No only two of those emails are gmail and hotmail, the rest are business email with pop3.

They sell more phones worldwide than any other phone maker and you say not Samsung because of the email app...Well live and learn, just

off to dump my note on your advice..........cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

http://getandroidstuff.com/best-android-email-app-alternatives-for-free/

http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/tablets-in-the-enterprise/five-best-email-apps-for-android-tablets/

I say not Samsung for a number of reasons. The email one is most relevant here.

I've also had 2 simply die on me. The S3 I got back, factory reset for some reason, after 3 weeks. The S2 they wouldn't touch because I had bought it online rather than through a store. My brand loyalty to them has been seriously tested.

No only two of those emails are gmail and hotmail, the rest are business email with pop3.

I'm sure you'll find Samsung fine, but personally, I wouldn't try to run a business using one.

Different Android versions have nothing to do with Samsung, or any other hardware maker. Android is operating system developed by Google.

LG, Sony, HTC, they all use Android OS.

Right now Im using Sony Z1 4G version. Out of the box it comes with lots of useless Sony preinstalled bloatware, and most of them cant be fully uninstalled, I just dont use these apps, I use apps that I like.

Nothing wrong with Samsung. They make some of best phones.

Sent from my C6802 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I'm sure you'll find Samsung fine, but personally, I wouldn't try to run a business using one.

just bought Blackberry Q10 yesterday...works great but without LINE app (most Thai colleagues keep asking me one...I still resist using that App)

Different Android versions have nothing to do with Samsung, or any other hardware maker. Android is operating system developed by Google. LG, Sony, HTC, they all use Android OS. Right now Im using Sony Z1 4G version. Out of the box it comes with lots of useless Sony preinstalled bloatware, and most of them cant be fully uninstalled, I just dont use these apps, I use apps that I like. Nothing wrong with Samsung. They make some of best phones. Sent from my C6802 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Not the case.

They customise them for their own hardware. And 4.3 for the Galaxy S3 and certain other versions was a complete technical and PR disaster. I finally installed the bug fixed version 2 days ago about a month after they withdrew it because of all the complaints about bricked phones or other problems. Luckily, the only problems I noticed were that the screen took about 10 seconds to come to life after pressing the button, and my morning alarm didn't go off a few times.

Yes Samsung may sell the most devices daily but that's not what the OP is looking for...

The op's currently on a blackberry... For which having multiple email accounts that aren't run of the mill are pain in the arse!

Had the OP had asked this question prior to iOS7 I'd have said jump on the apple bandwagon... But iOS7 has <deleted> the email experience...

It has improved with the various updates but I haven't re-attached a hotmail account to my phone email because I don't need to.

It seems to run fine alongside business email accounts on the iPad if I need to use that account.

But surely anything's an upgrade from BlackBerry :P

Different makers add their own features, they start with clean Android, and then add their own stuff. There is no need to use any Samsung app that they preinstall on top of basic Android.

Samsungs makes some of the best smartphones. That is universally recognized.

At the moment all things considered, right now, Samsung Note 3 is the best phone for any money. That not my personal opinion, that is the opinion of most trusted tech review sites. At the moment nothing beats Note 3.

just bought Blackberry Q10 yesterday...works great but without LINE app (most Thai colleagues keep asking me one...I still resist using that App)

refusing to use LINE doesn't make much sense. it's a whatsapp and skype killer in one. excellent app.

for business, I would use the Samsung S4.

Plenty of power, responsive, fast.

The note 3 might be an even better choice, but it doesn't support 2 Sims as the S4 does (important for me).

Edited by manarak

16 Gb version of Apple 5s cost 23.900 baht. 23.900 baht for a phone with 4 inch display, no memory card slot? That is bad joke.

IPhones dont have memory card slot. So if you want 32 Gb version, it' ll cost you 27.999 baht. LOL

And to top it off, 64 Gb phone is 31.900 baht. 31.900 baht for phone that has 4 inch display.

A poster few posts above this post would have almost recommended the iPhone. That is the funniest thing Ive seen all day!

Edited by valgehiir

16 Gb version of Apple 5s cost 23.900 baht. 23.900 baht for a phone with 4 inch display? That is bad joke.

IPhones dont have memory card slot. So if you want 32 Gb version, it' ll cost you 27.999 baht. LOL

And to top it off, 64 Gb phone is 31.900 baht. 31.900 baht for phone that has 4 inch display.

A poster few posts above this post would have almost recommended the iPhone. That is the funniest thing Ive seen all day!

Go on then, why hide behind not quoting me, I'm not afraid to say that I prefer the iPhone over the Samsung.

But a typical reply from a Samsung fanboy..

Go on then, why hide behind not quoting me, I'm not afraid to say that I prefer the iPhone over the Samsung.

I didn't quote you because there was no reason to quote. On mobile device, scrolling and scrolling.... And then scrolling some more, thanks to endless quotes is no fun.

As for Samsung fan boy... Not really. I've owned only one, a Note 2, and I had it for 1 months, sold it cos I never liked the design. The phone itself was perfect, but Samsungs look like soap boxes, especially white versions.

I love the design of iPhone, but I think they are grossly over priced, and there is no excuse not to have a memory card slot. Apples business model to make customer pay $100 in order to have 16Gb step up for more storage is insulting.

So there, I do not like Samsungs plasticky design appealing, but they are very good phones.

This is typed on Sony Ultra, and for phone I use Sony Z1.

So no, not a typical reply from Samsung fan boy.

Edited by valgehiir

16 Gb version of Apple 5s cost 23.900 baht. 23.900 baht for a phone with 4 inch display? That is bad joke.

I could say that's a typical reply from an Iphone fan but I won't...facepalm.giffacepalm.gif

Personally I'm now Samsung after being Nokia for years, freinds are Iphone and some are Samsung some Nokia , one freind after playing with my note became a Samsung convert after years of praising Iphone and slagging off other brands.....

As long as your happy with the phone you have and it can do what you want/need it to do then up to the buyer, but buyers should do a bit of research before buying a phone which can be quite an expensive purchase...

Buying a phone because it's a fashion statement which some people do is IMO for the kids.....With the parents normally paying for it...w00t.gif

Exactly, as long as you are happy with the phone you've chosen, all is well.

This Android vs iPhone is very much a topic for kids commenting on tech channels on Youtube.

Phone is a tool, nothing more. It is an appliance. To be a fan boy to some appliance is a teenager territory.

Should we argue and defend our choises about refridgerators in our kitchen? Are Electrolux guy, or LG guy!??? LOL.

The OP asked what is good device, if main use is emailing. That means you type a lot, and you read small text all the time. So I advised to go for large screen size. There is no need for 2.2 GHz processor, or 2 gigs of ram. Good, large screen is most important.

So the most logical chouce would be Samsung Note 2 or Note 3. Note 2 you can buy at authorized dealer for around 14.000, new in a box.

Note 3 is substancially better device, it is cutting edge at the moment, 1080p displey, Snapdragon 800 QUAD core processor. It has more processing power than many brand new laptops.

But just for emails, a bit of overkill, and cost is around 21.000. Then there issue of size, only OP can tell if it fits in pocket, what if OP wears only hipster skinny jeans? We dont know.

But iPhone 4 inch displey is definitly not for users who type a lit, unless their moto is 'beAuty knows no pain' They are beautiful phones, but way to small, and brutal pricing.

Anyways, get something with large screen!

I am still resisting on larger screen use. Don't want to carry around like that all day. I also resist on using LINE to communicate with client. I resist on using plastic fashion device like most Korean products. I fine myself resisting on many things but I do and how i communicate with client has been the same for past years. My main communication tool would be MS outlook and sync all my contact with my blackberry (over 2000 contacts now). I do keep all my personal+business emails since year 2003 or so on my notebook. I use pop3 to download emails onto my ms outlook and I have more than one person downloading those same emails accounts (6-7 business accounts) too keep track of clients across. I am not sure why I keep the same practice using exclusively only thinkpad line for my laptop and blackberry for my smartphone. In have to mention I have to carry iPhone too for some app like magic jack to keep my US/Canadian local number close to me all time. Am in living in the past or should I change to Korean product and use LINE with my client. I can't just support clients in thailand with LINE unless the message will just keep coming in all day and all nights not to mention all those fancy but unnecessary stickers. What should I do?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Let's try a sensible reply.

You use it mostly for email, so a large screen phone with good resolution is what you want.

That rules pretty much out anything iPhone as their screens are tiny compared to many Android phones.

Next to look into is resolution, you want a crisp display. This rules out the 10,000 Baht phones as the pixel density is not that great.

The aforementioned k9 app is great to handle multiple mail accounts and it can be installed on any android phone.

Hope this helps B-)

I'm using at the moment the Samsung stock mail app and find it also usable, but I have only one email address on it at the moment.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I like to add that Samsung repairs for free any phone purchased in Thailand, no need to show the receipt. I had several second hand Samsung phones in the past and all got fixed for free.

They do not, however, honour international warranties of phones purchased outside of Thailand.

• Like 1

As for line Messenger: I like it for quick chats, but business communication is strictly done by email.

Interestingly, today's youngsters haven't heard of email...

As for line Messenger: I like it for quick chats, but business communication is strictly done by email. Interestingly, today's youngsters haven't heard of email... Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Totally agreed. Once ask to send email in they say "can I LINE you? I say yes but I don't use LINE and my blackberry can't install LINE". Their faces filled with wonder...they must have thought I am very low tech....