Expatriate Medical & Health Insurance suggestions?

Travel Dude

I am a 45 years old expat living in Bangkok. I have a BUPA Medical Platinum care at Thb. 53,000 / year. It covers Room/board 10,000/day, Hospital expenses at 2 Million, 28,000 outpatient/year and 1 million medical evacuation/repatriation. This should cover most emergency expenses and allows to use international quality hospitals. I am about to renew for 2014 but was wondering if anyone knows about a better priced or similar price with better conditions? Please be specific.

Recommendations depend on whether you think 2m Baht is sufficient coverage. Even today, for something serious, 2m in an International hospital can disappear quickly so in 20 or 30 years how far do you think it will go ?

Medical insurance unlike any other insurance is for the long term and you need to look well ahead and plan the best you can.

• Like 1

If you continue wth BUPA they will renew your insurance however old you get.. Many other insurance companies have a cut off age. BUPA can adjust your plans to suit your needs. But once you get older your premiums will get very expensive. I would stick with them if I were you and see how things go

• 2 weeks later...

I have recently purchased health insurance. I compared various different companies and came to the conclusion that the best coverage and price was being offered by AXA, PPP.

I bought the International Health Plan Comprehensive covers my wife and I worldwide. Check them out, take special care to compare coverage on something like cancer, our policy has no limit and only a £250.00 annual deductible.

I am 57 my wife is 48 with no previous history of serious illness, our payment is £369.xx monthly.

It should be noted though that it says "worldwide", however, it does not cover illness when in the USA, if travelling there it only covers emergencies.

Last year, at 69, I check with AIA and was plan for me, including life insurance, costing 37.000THB/year....and 25.000THB/year for my wife.

I do not remember details. I am in a group plan now trough my company.

• Like 1

I've been researching the same topic here in Sydney to get cover for my travel into Thailand should they insist on medical coverage for entry into the kingdom, i saw BUPA, heavily advertised here in Sydney but also saw this website that i will ring up after the holidays http://www.worldcare.com.au/

I really don't know which direction to go and i'm still looking,, hope i find something soon.

In my oppinion the BUPA plan is the best you can get, as BUPA is not a public holding company, and does not distribute any profits to their shareholders, as there are none. BUPA does invest their overheads within their company, to the benefit of all patients and their executive board as well. Please check their benefits and compare them with other companies. Thats all I can say.

• Like 1

I had applied with Bupa two weeks ago for the platinum plan after being in Chaig Mai for a week or so,thought some health insurance might be a good thing to have seeing I was going to be here for six months out of the year on a retirement visa and am going to buy a motor bike to get around on.Seeing that I am 63 Years old they gave me a quote of $188.00 per month I thought about it and decided ok!I will go for it what the hell It's only money and a little peace of mind besides.Ok went down hill from there being the honest person that I try to be when filling out the application I said yes ,to have you diabetics.I have had It for over 15 years and watch my diet and exercise ,so have it under control very little medications.They came back with this list of exclusions that with the exclusions they put on a new policy holder I would have been crazy to take out the policy.Even if I would put a bike down and need a lot of medical attention They would only pay half the bill and with the platinum plane that would only be six thousand dollars.

So I decided it would make more sense to self insure my self and take what it would cost for a one month premium and buy medivach insurance for an Ambulance ride back to the states were I have the Veterans administration to take care of my ass need be.

1. Medical insurance is a rip off.

2. Even a 1 million baht in saving will cover almost everything.

3. I had a major procedure done at Sirina Karin Hospital Khon Kaen 90,000bt plus 40,000 for sterilized

instruments sent sealed from Johnson and Johnson. 5 day stay private suite.

The main reason I came here from the USA is because health insurance costs were out of control.

Fully agree with prvtdetdave !

We maintained BUPA full coverage for 12 years, for both my spouse and myself, and then we realized that their coverage is good, as long as you do not need it; read the small prints: for example, after the first year of a cancer-type problem, they may stop paying on that particular disease...and their maximum coverage during a given year is usually not that high !

So, for the last 10 years, we did put the equivalent of the very expensive premium BUPA was requesting for the both of us (not that young anymore) in our Bank, pay for our medical bills ourselves and hope for the best. So far we have accumulated a very large sum saved over these ten years...and still counting. A medical insurance provided by a company is certainly a product offered by this company intended to make money; it is a not a governmental scheme to protect citizens.

• Like 2

Why does everyone always advise international health insurance? You can find much cheaper options if you take out an insurance for Thailand only plus a medivac insurance, plus self insurance.

There are so many stories of people being refused payments because of 'pre-existing conditions' (these guys have a vivid imagination) or whatever. And as mentioned, even if you do have a lifetime's guarantee of coverage, premiums increase drastically with age.

http://www.thaihealth.co.th/company_eng.php