Fitness & good diet for the over 50's - good advice, not scams

simon43

They shit in the street ??.....

Well, not the majority.... and certainly not in the embassy district...... I'm sure those visitors who 'shun' the poorer districts never see this squalor, but apart from my paid job in the international school during the week, I also teach for free at the weekends in slum areas like Data Township.

During my last stay in Yangon, I saw many people openly defacating on the pavement, adults and children. It's no surprise that the country is 6 points lower than Bangladesh on the UN sanitation stats....

BTW, the poster who previously suggested that I follow a Singha diet obviously did not see my OP and request not to include 'drink p*ss' diets smile.png

Robblok, I had a prostate check a few years ago in Pattaya after having a T injection (not immediately afterwards). It showed a slight increase in the prostate cancer levels and the doctor suggested that I'd be at lower risk by trying to increase my T levels naturally, rather than injections. But even with natural T increases, he also suggested annual check-ups to ensure that the prostate cancer levels have not dramatically increased.

Edited by simon43

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

... cut out alcohol, fried food, bread, sweets, fizzy drinks, sweet drinks, sweet fizzy drinks, eat lots fruit and vegetables, legumes,etc....that'll do for....er starters

Might as well slit my wrists than have the 'fun' of that diet....

Juicing fresh fruit is ok - plenty of fresh fruit of all sorts in the markets

Eating nuts is gnerally ok if they are locally-grown. Imported nuts are expensive

Muesli etc i s good but imported and expensive

Plenty of fresh fish on sale, but I'd need to cook it (which I can't..). But the Chinese street shop does boiled (broiled) local fish (not fried).

Surprisingly, imported wines start at a reasonable rate. A glass or 2 of red wime per day should do me fine

Most of the common, local food is fried or rice etc ==> I should avoid this

I think the general idea is that I should eat more fruit and vegetables, cut down on sugary things, do some cycling/jogging and some weights exercise.

Off-topic, but when the sanctions were still in place, it was very hard to find any decent western food in the local shop. On rare occasions, I would find a New Zealand cheese that had been imported via a circuitous route via the EU, Cyprus etc. I would buy up the whole stock (3 packs!), because it would be months before I'd see cheese again.

Simon

They shit in the street ??.....

Well, not the majority.... and certainly not in the embassy district...... I'm sure those visitors who 'shun' the poorer districts never see this squalor, but apart from my paid job in the international school during the week, I also teach for free at the weekends in slum areas like Data Township.

During my last stay in Yangon, I saw many people openly defacating on the pavement, adults and children. It's no surprise that the country is 6 points lower than Bangladesh on the UN sanitation stats....

BTW, the poster who previously suggested that I follow a Singha diet obviously did not see my OP and request not to include 'drink p*ss' diets smile.png

Robblok, I had a prostate check a few years ago in Pattaya after having a T injection (not immediately afterwards). It showed a slight increase in the prostate cancer levels and the doctor suggested that I'd be at lower risk by trying to increase my T levels naturally, rather than injections. But even with natural T increases, he also suggested annual check-ups to ensure that the prostate cancer levels have not dramatically increased.

xsick.gif.pagespeed.ic.tVTSNn-2vr.png The perfect land for a diet......Get hungry, go for a walk and you feel no need to eat for another 2 hours.......When I clean the "presents" my dog leaves, I finished hungry for 30 min...If seeing and smelling these pavement gifts, I guess I don't need to eat for many hours.....

... cut out alcohol, fried food, bread, sweets, fizzy drinks, sweet drinks, sweet fizzy drinks, eat lots fruit and vegetables, legumes,etc....that'll do for....er starters

Might as well slit my wrists than have the 'fun' of that diet....

Juicing fresh fruit is ok - plenty of fresh fruit of all sorts in the markets

Eating nuts is gnerally ok if they are locally-grown. Imported nuts are expensive

Muesli etc i s good but imported and expensive

Plenty of fresh fish on sale, but I'd need to cook it (which I can't..). But the Chinese street shop does boiled (broiled) local fish (not fried).

Surprisingly, imported wines start at a reasonable rate. A glass or 2 of red wime per day should do me fine

Most of the common, local food is fried or rice etc ==> I should avoid this

I think the general idea is that I should eat more fruit and vegetables, cut down on sugary things, do some cycling/jogging and some weights exercise.

Off-topic, but when the sanctions were still in place, it was very hard to find any decent western food in the local shop. On rare occasions, I would find a New Zealand cheese that had been imported via a circuitous route via the EU, Cyprus etc. I would buy up the whole stock (3 packs!), because it would be months before I'd see cheese again.

Simon

Ask them for steamed fish every time, sure they must do it there as well and see if they can throw the vegies in with it maybe so not cooked in their recycled oil.

It is not hard to cut out all the rubbish, I did it and I am not one to do things easily.

When they cook your food, tell them no salt, no sugar and no msg....they put it in everything here, presume there also.

Also if you eat a lot of rice and like it, find one shop you can go to regularly, maybe 4 times a week and get them to cook what and how you like it, take them a bag of brown rice and ask them to cook that for you and keep it for you exclusively, may take a little longer, but enjoy the wine and the view while you wait...take a photo of them shitting in the st please.

Of course, meals made with white rice are very common from the street shops, but I cannot recall seeing brown rice. I don't think that any street stall is going to cook from my private supply of brown rice....

How do dairy products feature in a diet? I always assumed that I should drink a lot of milk for strong teeth and bones. I usually drink about 1 litre of 0-fat milk every day, and there are excellent, natural yogurts available in Myanmar.

Another story - The milk pasteurisation process in Myanmar was always hit or miss. When I buy milk, I carefully shake the bottle to try to hear 'lumps' of sour milk. Typically 50% of the milk that I buy has already gone bad, even though it's well within the sell-by date....