BAAC says it can pay Thai rice farmers only till end of this month

webfact

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sure Kittirat and Boonsong have seen this snippet of good news?

http://vietnamnews.vn/economy/249119/rice-exports-drop-following-falling-demand.html

A pity the article didn't go into details, like to explain why

"Indonesia did not buy at all while the Philippines and Malaysia reduced imports, he said."

Competition fierce, or did those countries have sufficient local produce?

http://vietnamnews.vn/economy/249119/rice-exports-drop-following-falling-demand.html

"Indonesia did not buy at all while the Philippines and Malaysia reduced imports, he said."

No, I'm guessing it's simply that there isn't a vibrant market for rotten rice in those countries...!!

• Like 1

Heres your answers rubl........... Indonesia Records a Rice Production Surplus of 5.4 million Tons This Year

Minister of Agriculture Suswono said the government need not import rice next year, since domestic production in 2013 will suffice. Indonesia records a rice production surplus of 5.4 million tons this year. http://www.thepresidentpost.com/?p=36570

Malaysia has imported nearly 30 percent of the national rice requirements, Secretary General of the Ministry of Agriculture and Agro-based Industry Hashim Abdulla announced on November 26. The country, however, is heading for zero rice imports by implementing several measures to ensure self-sufficiency, he added.

Currently, local price production can only meet 72 percent of the population’s need, as such, the government is extending rice cultivation area in Pahang, Sabah and Sarawak states as part of its efforts to reduce imports from neighbouring countries. http://en.vietnamplus.vn/Home/Malaysia-imports-30-pct-of-countrys-rice-requirements/201311/42566.vnplus

Typhoons could cause 2M tons of rice imports in 2014

The Philippines, one of the world’s top rice consumers, may need to import as much as 2 million tons of the grain in 2014 as it looks set to miss self-sufficiency targets following two strong typhoons, traders and farming experts said. That would mark the largest rice imports in four years by the Southeast Asian country, the world’s biggest buyer in 2010, when it purchased a national record of 2.45 million tons.

Higher demand from the Philippines is unlikely to have a huge impact on global rice prices as world production is forecast to exceed consumption next year. http://www.mb.com.ph/typhoons-could-lead-to-2m-tons-of-rice-imports-in-2014/

So if world production of rice will exceed its consumption who will buy all the old rice Thailand has in storage costing millions in storage fees and overheads, my guess it will remain there till it rots away. Thaksin's rice scam the gift that just keeps taking.

Edited by waza
  • Like 1

According to another poster in this thread, you're very well off. So why can't you afford to pay for Christmas? A bit of a delay in payments shouldn't matter to someone with your fabulous wealth.

That was a bit harsh.

Still, at least you didn't tell him Santa doesn't really exist. wink.png

"Santa doesn't really exist"

Oh Yes He Does ! He lives in Dubai, and delivers goodies with his private-jet, or there is also a come-and-collect service-option, I've heard ! laugh.png

And Seasons' Greetings to All on Thaivisa ! wai2.gif

• Like 2

I have not seen one farmer that has not been paid yet. I just don't believe it sorry. If thousands of farmers would not have been paid yet they would be in Bangkok already.

The Rice Mills are the one that didn't have been paid yet but many give cash out to farmers that bring their supply in for a discount.

Most rice from farmers in Isaan at least that I know off don't qualify for the pledging as the quality is not Grade A. Many have been turned down in our village.

Get your head out of your rice sack and look around.

My family has not been paid!

See us?

Believe it!

That pretty much means no ( or a very meager ) Christmas for my children.

Yes, being half farang they do expect Santa to show up.

You have a red suit and a few gifts you can bring by?

Merry Christmas Blind Man!

According to another poster in this thread, you're very well off. So why can't you afford to pay for Christmas? A bit of a delay in payments shouldn't matter to someone with your fabulous wealth.

My first inclination was to just ignore this comment, but I can't!

What leads you to believe I am "well off"?

What poster was that?

I don't know what it is about me that makes people think I am "well off"!

I was told recently that the Thai people in the area I live in all think I am a very wealthy man who's wife does not like him to spend money!!

She doesn't like me to spend much, but we are not wealthy at all.

I am living on the tightest budget I have ever lived on in my 60 year life so far!

Keeping money in the bank as required for my visa and no real employment while still having to wait for my pension to start does not make me feel very wealthy!

The money generated by the farms my wife owns is an important part of making ends meet right now and delayed payments do not help!

My 5 year old will have a Christmas this year, but nowhere near the quality of Christmas I would like to give her.

I find it amusing that some think I am so "well off" but don't understand why they think so.

Maybe it's just that I am such a sharp dresser and a hansom man?

The point of my original post was that even though the poster "has not seen any farmers who have not been paid, we are out here, many of us.

Merry Christmas to all...

• Like 2

I have not seen one farmer that has not been paid yet. I just don't believe it sorry. If thousands of farmers would not have been paid yet they would be in Bangkok already.

The Rice Mills are the one that didn't have been paid yet but many give cash out to farmers that bring their supply in for a discount.

Most rice from farmers in Isaan at least that I know off don't qualify for the pledging as the quality is not Grade A. Many have been turned down in our village.

Get your head out of your rice sack and look around.

My family has not been paid!

See us?

Believe it!

That pretty much means no ( or a very meager ) Christmas for my children.

Yes, being half farang they do expect Santa to show up.

You have a red suit and a few gifts you can bring by?

Merry Christmas Blind Man!

My first inclination was to just ignore this comment, but I can't!

What leads you to believe I am "well off"?

What poster was that?

I don't know what it is about me that makes people think I am "well off"!

I was told recently that the Thai people in the area I live in all think I am a very wealthy man who's wife does not like him to spend money!!

She doesn't like me to spend much, but we are not wealthy at all.

I am living on the tightest budget I have ever lived on in my 60 year life so far!

Keeping money in the bank as required for my visa and no real employment while still having to wait for my pension to start does not make me feel very wealthy!

The money generated by the farms my wife owns is an important part of making ends meet right now and delayed payments do not help!

My 5 year old will have a Christmas this year, but nowhere near the quality of Christmas I would like to give her.

I find it amusing that some think I am so "well off" but don't understand why they think so.

Maybe it's just that I am such a sharp dresser and a hansom man?

The point of my original post was that even though the poster "has not seen any farmers who have not been paid, we are out here, many of us.

Merry Christmas to all...

Sorry, that was a bit needlessly provocative of me. No one said you specifically were well off. I just wondered what your response would be to accusations by other posters that the pledging scheme only applies to those farmers who're already wealthy. I hope you get paid soon anyway. Have a good Christmas.