THAI to launch in-flight internet services soon

webfact

THAI to launch in-flight internet services soon

181872-imagepng-267403-728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The national flag carrier, Thai Airways International, will soon provide in-flight internet services for passengers now that the Telecommunications Committee of the National Broadcasting and Telecommunications Commission has granted a licence to the airliner.

Mr Korkit Darnchaivichit, vice chairman of the NBTC, said Wednesday that a licence to operate in-flight internet services had been granted to THAI by the Telecommunications Committee and the next step is for THAI to submit required documents to the committee plus a reconfirmation that it will provide the services.

THAI has informed the Telecommunicatioins Committee that it plans to provide in-flight internet services on six A380 and seven A330-300 Airbus aircraft in the initial stage with plan to expand the services to more aircraft.

The NBTC board also endorsed the IC charge for operators of the third category of telecom services which include cellphone, basic phone and international phone serive at 45 satang per minute.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/thai-launch-flight-internet-services-soon/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2013-12-19

• Like 1

Retuned to Thailand last week from the UK with Ethiad Airways. Using my sling box and I pad was able to watch Liverpool v Spurs live at 30'000 feet connected to the planes WiFi. Connection during the whole of the flight was perfect.

Well that certainly beats Emirates inflight internet. I returned from Dubai last week on a newish A380, paid my US$10 and scarcely had enough connection time and quality to check my email, and even then it was almost as slow as an old dial-up connection. There was a connection for about 45 minutes before we reached India, and then no connection over India for the duration. I had about 10 minutes between India and Thailand, and that was it.

So I am curious - you must have crossed India, and that would be most of the flight time. Emirates says that by regulation, they are not allowed to provide internet whilst over India or China. Did you have a connection over India?

Retuned to Thailand last week from the UK with Ethiad Airways. Using my sling box and I pad was able to watch Liverpool v Spurs live at 30'000 feet connected to the planes WiFi. Connection during the whole of the flight was perfect.

Well that certainly beats Emirates inflight internet. I returned from Dubai last week on a newish A380, paid my US$10 and scarcely had enough connection time and quality to check my email, and even then it was almost as slow as an old dial-up connection. There was a connection for about 45 minutes before we reached India, and then no connection over India for the duration. I had about 10 minutes between India and Thailand, and that was it.

So I am curious - you must have crossed India, and that would be most of the flight time. Emirates says that by regulation, they are not allowed to provide internet whilst over India or China. Did you have a connection over India?

Maybe for the first 7 hours to Abu Dhabi was ok, then only 2 hours of the rest of the flight of 6 hours would be over Sth India.

I've flown over 130,000 miles this year so far and the cheapest in-flight Internet service I've seen was $9.95 per flight on Delta. Never saw free internet, not even in business/1st class. The connections were okay but the didn't allow VoIP. 45 satang/minute seems reasonable if the speed is decent.

I've flown over 130,000 miles this year so far and the cheapest in-flight Internet service I've seen was $9.95 per flight on Delta. Never saw free internet, not even in business/1st class. The connections were okay but the didn't allow VoIP. 45 satang/minute seems reasonable if the speed is decent.

45 bht a minute seems to be the going rate for the non stop Thai to UK flight.

TV on monitors over the AISLE still on many Jumbo's, LOVE IT. crane your neck in economy to watch a movie, for a premium cost. amazing Thai thinking.

Only 2 jumbos have the old TV monitors, the rest now have personal screen in economy

So they should, are the 2 on the TG916/7 run to LHR ??? near the same jumbo's as I travelled on over 20 years ago. and still near the highest prices on that route.

How about launching some lower cost flights to more destinations guys? those LLC airlines

are killing you out there... and this is why you're in the red most of the year... wake up....

I'd really like to be a CEO, that would allow me to be just as stupid and still earn millions ...

I only used it on the London Abu Dhabi sector, I was in business class and price was same for all classes 27$Us for flight duration. I don't know about second sector as I was sleeping so didn't use it, however they announced that it was available at the start of the flight so I'm presuming it would work over India and China. Incidentally Ethiad business class is so superior to Thai business class it must be embarrassing for our national airline