Ring Roads...How many of them?

funcat

I was trying to explain the location of something on The Ring Rd and my friend kept referring to The Super Hgwy(as The Ring Rd)....

From my understanding there is :

The Super Hgwy....

The Ring Rd...

and...The 2nd Ring Rd

....That's how they build them...now,some people saying ,that we have 3 Ring roads...??...so,what is it and what's the 'norm' how to describe them?

What's the official designation for Klongchalapathan - Canal Rd?

Is it classified as a ring road or just a highway?

I think it is used to complete the 2d and 3d ring roads. It will probably also complete the 4th ring road if it is ever finished.

What's the official designation for Klongchalapathan - Canal Rd?

Is it classified as a ring road or just a highway?

I think it is used to complete the 2d and 3d ring roads. It will probably also complete the 4th ring road if it is ever finished.

It is officially Highway 121 and the only true ring road around Chiang Mai.

"I was trying to explain the location of something on The Ring Rd and my friend kept referring to The Super Hgwy(as The Ring Rd)...."

Thais will never refer to the term "ring road" (90% will have empty look on their face - even fluent English speakers if you use this term) and neither do I because it confuses them too much. they will always say "super" or Thannon yai meaning large road, with the exception of the 121 which they refer to as "Thannon 700 Pi".

the very end of this article references the 4th Ring Road. There are more references having to do with the planning of the Ring Roads that I am not going to look for.

I know many Thais that know exactly what the Ring Roads are. My first trip to Chiang Mai these were called "Ring Roads" by the Thais I associated with and at that time it was difficult to get from the airport to the Superhighway on Mahidol.

Many Thais do know what the Ring Roads are and refer to them as Ring Roads and it is possible to drive around Chiang Mai city on all of these routes plus more.

I suppose it is up to a person's perception.

http://www.pattayadailynews.com/en/2013/01/03/chiangmai-politician-pushes-for-second-airport/

Edited by hml367

OK guys....keep going....wink.png

...I couldn't imagine,that this can be much more complicated...tongue.png

Actually, I think it can get more complicated.... There was talk of a flyover to bypass Nimmanheimin and Wing 41 in the past.

In addition, I think they are already actively working on extending the canal road further south.

OK guys....keep going....wink.png

...I couldn't imagine,that this can be much more complicated...tongue.png

Actually, I think it can get more complicated.... There was talk of a flyover to bypass Nimmanheimin and Wing 41 in the past.

In addition, I think they are already actively working on extending the canal road further south.

Which will of course be named the Hang dong san patong bypass....and that's a right mouthful aswell.

Sent via tin can and string after pigeon shot

Just to throw another monkey in the blender, where the 1095 short cut joins the 107 they seem to be builing a new road on the eastern side of the 107.

Anyone know if this is going to be just a short cut to the 1001 or a new outer outer ring road bypass super snafu ?

"I was trying to explain the location of something on The Ring Rd and my friend kept referring to The Super Hgwy(as The Ring Rd)...."

Thais will never refer to the term "ring road" (90% will have empty look on their face - even fluent English speakers if you use this term) and neither do I because it confuses them too much. they will always say "super" or Thannon yai meaning large road, with the exception of the 121 which they refer to as "Thannon 700 Pi".

121 is not the 700 year road. This is the official name of 3029, which is the inner ring road.

• Like 1

367 says

'Actually, I think it can get more complicated.... There was talk of a flyover to bypass Nimmanheimin and Wing 41 in the past.

In addition, I think they are already actively working on extending the canal road further south. "

Yes this is as I understand matters.

At the Suthep end of Nimman the Shop Houses are being knocked down. There was an article in City Life by, Pim (editor), in which she interviewed the new Mayor and linking Nimman to Mahidol Rd was mentioned. But what about Wing 41 ? The mayor then Stated. 'That is a BKK problem'.

More than once when I have dined at Yummy Pizza it has been mentioned that the Canal Rd is being lengthened and altered both ends to permit construction of an outer ring road.

john