Thai Foreign Ministry asked to rethink free visa fee decision

• Replies 386
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really hope they implement this... It will be abolished again within 6 months when they see that millions will go elsewhere.

Not because of the extra cost, because of the extra hassle having to acquire a visa. When I want to travel, a visa requirement can make the difference between what countries I visit. i can't be bothered with convoluted visa applications. So much simpler to go to a similar country whre I just get my stamp at the immigration desk.

Good point... I am guessing many Thais feel the same way....

Yes, it is true, it is far more difficult for thais to enter europe, then it is for europeans to enter thailand.

Now, why would that be?

If 1000 europeans enter thailand with no hassles, 999 will return before their visas expire, 1 will stay on illegally for working / whoring / or whatever.

If 1000 thais enter europe with no hassles, how many will return before their visas expire?

Please Samran, answer that one.

What with all 'em braggers on this forum who proudly boast about how they or their mates overstayed in LOS by millions of years yet only had to to pay a 20,000 THB fine for their sins, looks like you'll need to gather together a group of several hundred thousand Europeans then!

Edited by OJAS
  • Like 2

Yes, it is true, it is far more difficult for thais to enter europe, then it is for europeans to enter thailand.

Now, why would that be?

If 1000 europeans enter thailand with no hassles, 999 will return before their visas expire, 1 will stay on illegally for working / whoring / or whatever.

If 1000 thais enter europe with no hassles, how many will return before their visas expire?

Please Samran, answer that one.

All the Thais I know who go there now return before their visa expires.

I would guess the number would be less than the amount of UK overstayers, overstaying their Thai visas. :)

OK, OK, we know it should be "UK", a visa-free holiday is on offer for the next person to observe this smile.png

Meanwhile, does anyone actually understand exactly what they are on about?

It seems to me they want to scrap the visa exempt status for the listed countries.

totster :)

"Immigration commissioner Pol Lt-Gen Panu Kerdlarpphol explained that the reason for reconsideration was that the 17 countries still charge visa fees on Thai nationals.

The visa fee exemption should be reciprocal …."

So he wants reciprocity? How about for land ownership? How about for entrance to parks and national museums?

Reciprocity is a two way street, not just useful for one side!

Indeed. In most of those countries listed a Thai in a genuine relationship with a citizen can go through a process of permanent residency and then citizenship withing a few years, assuming no criminal record etc.

As per the usual excuse/justification of ridiculous immigration rules here: Well if Thai tourists don't like the visa requirements in the US or those other Western countries they are welcome to travel elsewhere instead, they don't need a visa to go to Laos, Vietnam etc.

• Like 2

What a crock of sh.&. It has gone down so much already tourism and now they want to mess it up all the way. Ok we can pay for the visa but charge all those Thais in our country 10 times the price on whatever they wanna buy... So then it's fair atheist style.

God am I glad I am leaving this shit for good... Really fed up with this country and their stupid laws

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 2

Being from the States, Thais have to go through hell to get a visa or even try to get a visa, so I have mixed emotions on this issue.

imagine the hell of applying for the visa to the US then the hell of security entering the country then there's the hell of being there.

I went to the US where Pittsburgh is. It seemed to be a much nicer country than the US that you go to. The immigration staff at Atlanta were polite and friendly, and my travel authorisation came over the internet in the space of a few minutes.

SC

• Like 1

quote: "The immigration chief said further that charging visa fees would help screen visitors to Thailand, especially criminal elements and tricksters who may capitalize on the privilege to come to Thailand to seek refuge or to commit crimes."

i guess the 17 countries(which are economically viable) have the most criminals and tricksters... hmm what about the other 999 countries that are corrupt? get to come in for free? its a joke... i guess the tea pot is getting low...need to fill it up... if they'd stop stealing money from each other and the foreigners, then they wouldn't have any need for this... btw, did the requirement for foreigners to buy insurance get passed? is that a requirement?

Erm...... lets skip Bangkok on our next trip to Vietnam, Myanmar or Cambodia.....

Just as I skipped a 2 day transit through Delhi to visit Agra, recently, on account of visa fees.

I must say, I welcome the idea.

This will definitely get rid of trash tourists who clog up the airports and streets. Most westerners have been to Thailand at least once amyway....

• Like 1

The balance of power and wealth between East and West is slowly changing. This is the way wealthy countries act towards less-wealthy ones, and it's interesting to see how the Daily Mailers and Daily Expressers bleat about being treated far better than their country treats its immigrants.

Expect more of this.

• Like 1

The difference is that the foreign countries system is clearly documented and transparent to a large extent to the majority of applicants. The Thai system is littered with hoops and stumbling blocks and generally dependant on the mood and whim of immigration officer or official you deal with each time.

But it wouldn't be, right? Everyone would potentially pay the same fee, or at least a country-specific fee. I don't see how the immigration officer would have any discretion in this. In fact, if done like other countries, the officer who stamps your passport would be different from the one who takes your cash. This is how it works in Cambodia, which is arguably more corrupt than Thailand. And the fee collection system works there (even if it's a little amusing to see 7 officers collecting fees from a lineup of westerners then later trying to match faces to passport photos).

Why shouldn't Thailand do this if places like the US charge money for entry and also make it difficult for Thai nationals (and others!) to go there?