Thai Foreign Ministry asked to rethink free visa fee decision

• Replies 386
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well if they go through with this, I sure hope that its visa on arrival. The United States is a huge country, and there's only a total of 4 consulates/embassies. Why fly across states to apply for a visa (last I checked, you had to show up in person) when you can just go to Japan, Malaysia, Cambodia, Indonesia, Hong Kong, etc with either no visa required or inexpensive visa on arrival.

All things considered, and I mean all things, why shouldn't they apply the same restrictions to foreigners, as Thai citizens are subjected to.

Whilst it will certainly affect me, if it would mean being here in Thailand with noticeably fewer ugly pigs from the aforesaid 17 countries, it may be worth it.

Edited by TechnikaIII

applying for visas to visit the US and England by Thai nationals is very complicated and problematic.

So are we to believe that this is a tit-for-tat measure rather than a opportunity to extract more money from the 'millionaire tourists' that only visit Thailand? wink.png

Think everyone has missed the point on this one......the government is in the hole over the rice scam they are looking for ways to make additional income

They used to make a fair amount of money allowing imported 2nd hand cars, now, no more!

If understood by a local booze importer, that tax revenue has dropped significantly too because of unreasonable increased alcohol import duty and importers not bringing it in in the same quantity.

For a Thai to visit Canada it is a major pain in the ass to get a visa, and the fees are 2,250 THB.

Really I don't see why they shouldn't charge us in a tit-for-tat fashion.

It has been quite a number of years since I had to get a visa to enter Thailand (on 1 year extensions for the past 7 years) but it was pretty easy at the Consulate in Vancouver 8 years ago.

Now where my b*tch on the whole situation is, I have been here for 8 years with a good solid income, wife (same wife) two kids, etc. and for me to get any form of residence or god forbid citizenship is a major pain. My wife on the other hand had her permanent residence in 1.5 years and her Canadian citizenship in less then 3.

Edited by wade72
  • Like 1

The 17 countries are Australia, England, the United States, Germany, France, Sweden, Canada, the Netherlands, Italy, Switzerland, Denmark, Finland,Norway, Israel, United Arab Emitrates, Spain and New Zealand.

Am I to assume that residents in Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland will continue to get free exemption ? rolleyes.gif.pagespeed.ce.hZ59UWKk-s.gif alt=rolleyes.gif pagespeed_url_hash=2070704717 width=20 height=20>

totster xsmile.png.pagespeed.ic.TZt5dYe8BC.webp

No the rest of the world mainly sees you all as the same, your the only ones that see much of a distinction.

How do you know? Have to you been to the "rest of the world" and asked them? Or have you decided for them?

For a Thai to visit Canada it is a major pain in the ass to get a visa, and the fees are 2,250 THB.

Really I don't see why they shouldn't charge us in a tit-for-tat fashion.

It has been quite a number of years since I had to get a visa to enter Thailand (on 1 year extensions for the past 7 years) but it was pretty easy at the Consulate in Vancouver 8 years ago.

Now where my b*tch on the whole situation is, I have been here for 8 years with a good solid income, wife (same wife) two kids, etc. and for me to get any form of residence or god forbid citizenship is a major pain. My wife on the other hand had her permanent residence in 1.5 years and her Canadian citizenship in less then 3.

Agree with you regarding PR and citizenship. There should be a clear route for those of us married to Thai ladies who want to provide a home here for our families. My wife went to the UK on a spouse visa, got ILR and then citizenship having past the required tests and attending the ceremony.

Here, the process is not so clearly defined or certain,

I'm all for reciprocity on residence and citizenship. Providing its not one way or just on the bits someone wants to pick out.

For visa exemptions. Many countries charge for visa on arrival - Qatar and Bahrain for example. IO has credit card scanner or cash register. There is no big hold up at their immigration. However, they're not handling regular plan loads of tourists. Making people get a visa before travel will make some people go elsewhere simply because its easier.

Maybe this is connected with the "entry fee" also recently proposed to supposedly recover medical fees spent on tourists.

All ideas to raise cash for a strapped government and provide some extra incomes.

60 days tourist visas (and other visas) are still to be applied at consulates and paied for, only 30 days entry stamps are free.

and no, visas are not reciprocal, but part of diplomatic negotiations, for example: we will give you free entry stamps for you buying from us 1 mln tons of rice and bananas.

just when tourist numbers drop drastically at the top of the high season, due to ultra royalists running amok through the streets of bkk, and with a danger from them cloning airports, immigration come with a grand money skimming plan

Edited by londonthai

"exempt visa fees for tourists and travelers" Those staying on long-term visas are not included in this free scheme and, if the OP is correct, nor are Scottish, Welsh or Northern Irish People.

"The 17 countries are Australia, England, the United States, Germany, France, Sweden, Canada, the Netherlands, Italy, Switzerland, Denmark, Finland,Norway, Israel, United Arab Emitrates, Spain and New Zealand."

And amazing no Russians?

Getting past the England / United Kingdom mistake, that 10 year visa the US offers tourists lets you stay six months at a time for 160 USD. Let's see Thailand match THAT kind of reciprocity. (http://www.path2usa.com/visitor-visa-faq). Change that first, Thailand.

BK mag pointed out a projection by Kasikorn Thai Research Center that claims Thai visitors to Japan will increase 50% in one year because Japan now lets Thais in with a visa on arrival. Wouldn't the reverse of that be true as well - a decrease of 50% by adding on a visa fee? (http://bk.asia-city.com/travel/article/thai-citizen-travel-visa-free-uk-us-france-japan)

"No the rest of the world mainly sees you all as the same, your the only ones that see much of a distinction.

How do you know? Have to you been to the "rest of the world" and asked them? Or have you decided for them?

Mainly just decided for them, <deleted>"

Vulgar as well as self opinionated then, judging by your intelligent response.

The original article is quite puzzling.

It mentions 17 countries, yet a total of 48 countries can get a 30-day stamp at Suvarnabhumi.

Also, the article mentions visa fees, while the stamp is obviously not a visa.

It is for free tourist visas. Same as they did a few years ago.

"exempt visa fees for tourists and travelers" Those staying on long-term visas are not included in this free scheme and, if the OP is correct, nor are Scottish, Welsh or Northern Irish People.

"The 17 countries are Australia, England, the United States, Germany, France, Sweden, Canada, the Netherlands, Italy, Switzerland, Denmark, Finland,Norway, Israel, United Arab Emitrates, Spain and New Zealand."

And amazing no Russians?

Russian are more penny pinching than the countries named. He's only targeting ones who he thinks can pay a lot !

Or how do we get the last buck out of these tourists ...... They can also start to think about an exit fee !!!bah.gif

Its not often the Thais are ''fair''.

So get the Falang to jump through the same hoops as the Thais have to, too vist the UK, and charge the same.

Or are ''we'' the chosen race not them?

The simple answer is waiving visit visas boosts tourism. If people have to apply for a visa, and pay for it to visit then they will think twice about visiting, and most likely will go somewhere easier to visit for a holiday.

Thus, if they make visas for holiday visitors difficult, less tourists will come.

Think of me of a brit: if I have have to go to the Thai embassy to get a visa for a holiday, and take half a day to go and get it off work, I might think, nah, I will go to the Carribean instead.