Thai Foreign Ministry asked to rethink free visa fee decision

Should the 17 countries charge Thais more for visiting our national parks, zoo, museums, etc then ? Or do the immigration people think that charging foreigners 200% more than Thais to visit certain attractions is fair ?

Why not start another dual charging debate on one of the many dual charging threads? It's completely off topic here.

• Like 1

• Replies 386
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"The immigration chief said further that charging visa fees would help screen visitors to Thailand, especially criminal elements and tricksters who may capitalize on the privilege to come to Thailand to seek refuge or to commit crimes."

I actually find merit in this, it may help dissuade people (criminals) from coming here if they have to go through a visa application process in their own country. IF you were a criminal would you surrender your passport to anyone if you planned on fleeing your country? If let's say you were, ummmwhistling.gif, Thaksin? If he had to apply for a visa to Canada before he left Thailand, would he bother? No, probably not, probably just go somewhere he can land and get in without question for 30 days?

...n just when you think you've heard it all...

• Thainess on steroids.
  • What about reciprocal arrangements on land ownership, etc...
  • Immigration employees (or any positions for that matter) are far more expensive than in Tryland.
  • With so many Asians landing [in the west] and then going AWOL, in many cases to work in a less than legal/savoury trade. Not to mention very unlikely to properly 'spend' in the new found land. Then there's the money they send off-shore...
  • Spouses getting benefits, pensions, etc...
  • Tryland's being supported by tourism, yet they wanna do their best to deter the very hand that feeds them...?

The mind boggles! blink.png

Should the 17 countries charge Thais more for visiting our national parks, zoo, museums, etc then ? Or do the immigration people think that charging foreigners 200% more than Thais to visit certain attractions is fair ?

I can totally understand why this p*sses so many off, but I had an experience as a youngster that just sees me avoid places with 'Farang prices'.

As a nipper, at the ice-cream van outside one of the entrances to Crystal Palace Park, South London, we [family] were waiting in line behind some Japanese tourists. They were charged £5 for a can of coke! Can't remember how much the real price should have been, but this was circa 1980! w00t.gif

Sure, an independent trader, not a government, but even so...

I completely agree. An eye for an eye ! THEN of course all the mentioned countries must also adjust the other laws.

Such as in most mentioned countries Thais can become full citizens, vote and be voted for within 5 years. When on

Holiday they can even buy a car or a house (just bring money). And when married with a national of those countries

do not have to report to the police anymore AT ALL! Can we agree on that??? w00t.gif

Besides that'll never happen in a society where the Chinese have all the influence (second generation at most!) wai2.gif it's a great thought. It'll be nice and quiet again in a lot of places in Thailand. Add onto that the new rule about married foreign couples, the 500 B entry plan (even if you already paid for your visa!) and Indonesia, Malaysia, Cambodia, Laos and the Philippines will have a field day with this. clap2.gifcheesy.gif Thank you! wai.gif

Edited by rebelplatoon

I completely agree. An eye for an eye ! THEN of course all the mentioned countries must also adjust the other laws.

Such as in most mentioned countries Thais can become full citizens, vote and be voted for within 5 years. When on

Holiday they can even buy a car or a house (just bring money). And when married with a national of those countries

do not have to report to the police anymore AT ALL! Can we agree on that??? w00t.gif

Besides that'll never happen in a society where the Chinese have all the influence (second generation at most!) wai2.gif it's a great thought. It'll be nice and quiet again in a lot of places in Thailand. Add onto that the new rule about married foreign couples, the 500 B entry plan (even if you already paid for your visa!) and Indonesia, Malaysia, Cambodia, Laos and the Philippines will have a field day with this. clap2.gifcheesy.gif Thank you! wai.gif

The truth is that no matter how much Thailand increases or stiffens visa prices and bureocracy, while never changing foreign property, work and basic rights laws, Westerners will continue to prefer it as an vacation, expatriation, or retirement desitination over other countries. It may take decades before that will change.

We can debate on why is that and if it is right until blue in the face, but that won't change the facts. Thai bureocracts, politicians, and ultimatly Thai people too, know that perfectly, and are well determined to exploit their current dominant position in the region to the full extent. One don't lower prices when customer are buying.

Or how do we get the last buck out of these tourists ...... They can also start to think about an exit fee !!!bah.gif

They already charge an exit fee. It is just built into your airport taxes so you don't see it.

I can understand if you let people from country "A" into Thailand for free, while country "A" also charges Thai people 2,000 baht to enter their country, maybe there should be a fee. Tit for Tat.

OP needs to be corrected in that it's Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

The way I understand it is:

United Kingdom consists of the countries of England, Scotland, Wales and N. Ireland.

Great Briton is an island.

Some territory of Wales, Scotland, and England is located in minor islands, not GB per se.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

You are correct - Great Britain is the big island (the other island is Ireland - so the passport that you get is for Great Britain and Northern Ireland. Great Britain doesn't actually include Northern Ireland. Thus the island of Great Britain is only part of the sovereign state of the United Kingdom.

The hole collection - including the smaller islands is the British Isles.

BUT - UK is often referred to as GB - they are pretty much interchangeable in day-to-day use; so it is a working definition, but if - as you have - you want to split hairs, you are actually correct but it is a bit of a Pyrrhic victory if you ask me.

Briton - is the inhabitant, not the region.

The whole collection - including the smaller islands is the British Isles.

if you take your car abroad from Northern Ireland you are required to have a "GB" sticker on it.

Edited by wilcopops

I can totally understand why this p*sses so many off, but I had an experience as a youngster that just sees me avoid places with 'Farang prices'.

As a nipper, at the ice-cream van outside one of the entrances to Crystal Palace Park, South London, we [family] were waiting in line behind some Japanese tourists. They were charged £5 for a can of coke! Can't remember how much the real price should have been, but this was circa 1980! w00t.gif.pagespeed.ce.fUUOmDCInI.gif

Sure, an independent trader, not a government, but even so...

Be careful, many here think dual pricing is a uniquely Thai phenomenon!

England isn't a country! The UK is.

England IS a country. So is Scotland. The UK is made up of England, Scotland, Northern Ireland and the Principality of Wales. (Note: Wales is not a true country)

Chris

A country is determined by the UN, not FIFA. I am well aware of the history and not confusing it with geography. You are what it says on your passport and there is no 'England' passport. The comment that was made inferred that England, as a country, made a decision when it clearly incorrect, it was the UK. In the context that was stated, it is not a country.

Great Britain is England and Scotland. The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland is as it states - a united country although Scotland and Ireland no longer have kingdoms.