Forum maintenance tonight from approx. 11pm - 1.30am ×

Thai Foreign Ministry asked to rethink free visa fee decision

OK, OK, we know it should be "UK", a visa-free holiday is on offer for the next person to observe this smile.png

Meanwhile, does anyone actually understand exactly what they are on about?

I was going to ask the same thing, Crossy....

The Thai government had a couple of periods in recent years when they waived tourist visa fees for certain period of time, in an effort to promote tourism. But all those past periods had ended, AFAIK.

I don't remember reading anything lately from the Foreign Ministry about a new plan to waive visa fees, or what kinds of visas the fees would be waived for, or for what period of time.

The OP article has no mention on any of those details. And I don't see any mention anywhere in this thread on the details of the Foreign Ministry decision/proposal.

• Replies 386
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok fine. lets charge the Thai people 5 times the amount of entry fees into Alton Towers or London Zoo and many more places like museums and restuarants. The goverment forgets that farang pay 400 baht to 60 baht for Thais to enter the croc farm and we pay 800 for Ocean World to the Thais 300 Baht. Just to mension 2 places.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

What I find quite amusing is that they changed the land crossings for some of the 17 countries back to 30 days, that's not even 7 weeks back. clap2.gifclap2.gif

Then it's good for some that the Thai immigration knows not to much about geography, they forgot countries, like Belgium, Austria, Lichtenstein, Luxembourg, and so on, which have pretty much the same visa rules than the other Schengen states.

boon for Thailand's neighbors in my opinion, people will pay...

but it's going to make it the same price/hastle as the rest makes them one of group, not one that stands alone.

ADD: same week Cambodia should offer visa exempt and watch the tourist dollars flow in.

Edited by PaulHamon

well they should think and understand why those countries have visa fee ... as many Thais lost themselves in those countries to work illegally. Not to mention for the sake of the tourism industry Thailand decided to drop visa fee for many countries ... the reciprocity should be the same actually nothing wrong in this but careful about this decision as many tourists could decide to go in other places .....

It's one of the best steps they can take ... way to go!

The more arrogance they depict, the more pride they spit out, the sooner they will be with themselves. That's what they want anyway ...

Besides, did someone just mention "reciprocal"?

Great.

There is SOOOO much to d for us, back home, to make life for Thai living abroad to hell - just like if is for farangs on Thai turf.

Ok lads, let's go home and to work then, shall we!?

;-)

You can always tell when a country has started down the populist road, can't you? Suddenly the half-wit officials & bureaucrats discover it takes real money to keep those handout-hungry voters happy, and begin flailing about for new revenue sources. Those non-voting foreigners might as well have bullseyes painted on theit back sides. Long-term effects on things like tourism? "Long-term" is way too many syllables for the populist vocabulary. You can pay up, or go somewhere else, or stay home. Up to you. If tourism suffers, thais will deny it until the howls of laughter and loss of face becomes too great, then find somebody to blame it on, slip the noose a little tighter around the golden goose, and trip another rung back toward the stone age.

Edited by hawker9000
  • Like 1

If so, the time definitively has come to spend the money in another country. Malaysia gives 90-day visa-free entry. All South American countries: visa-free entry for 3 months. And one thing more: My Thai wife got permanent residency in Switzerland, while I as a husband of a Thai wife have to apply for visa when I want to enter the country longer then 30 days. My Thai wife can legally work in Switzerland, she doesn't even need a work permit, while I am prohibited to work legally in Thailand. Where is reprocicity here? The regulations in Europe are much more foreigner-friendly then in Thailand.

• Like 1

The difference is that the foreign countries system is clearly documented and transparent to a large extent to the majority of applicants. The Thai system is littered with hoops and stumbling blocks and generally dependant on the mood and whim of immigration officer or official you deal with each time.

Can't say that I have found that to be true. When I was commuting to and fro Phuket from Singapore for an extended period of time, tourist visas were automatically given each time. And I think the same is true for pretty much all tourists.

I can also see the logic of reciprocal arrangements, except that Thailand is far more interested in attracting foreign tourists, than foreign countries are interested in attracting Thai tourists. So applying the logic of reciprocal arrangements, may end up with Thais shooting themselves in the foot.

I doubt much will change.

• Like 2

thailand looks to be heading the same way as australia, they banned alchole on trains, in australia if you serve alchole with out a liscence god help you.

the thai govt will prolly crack down on helmets seat belts soon, and cry about all the dead babies to soften you up for the fines

• Like 1

Good on Thailand. I am a Canadian citizen living in Thailand. Tomorrow my Thai wife and son are going to Canada for a two week visit with my family. I have gone through hell getting a visa for them this time. It was very easy the last two times but now the rules have changed. Instead of the cost of $75 per visa it has cost me almost $1000 Canadian to get their visas this time. It took me away from work for 7 days to get their visas. I had to travel from the south of Thailand to Bangkok just to put in the application. It used to take 1 day to get a visa but now it takes 12 days. I used to bitch about getting my Non-B every year but it is easy compared with the bullshit that I went through with the Canadian embassy this time. On my return to Canada I will be talking with my Member of the Legislature for my home province and I will be sending a letter to my Member of Parliament as well. Also copies to Canada Immigration and Citizenship and copies to the Embassy of Canada here in Bangkok. I am not impressed with their system anymore and I don't blame the Thais for want tit for tat.

Reciprocity would be great. My wife can get a free visa to Finland, may apply for residency right away and will most probably be granted it, can own land, work where she pleases, open any company she wants, be entitled to social benefits. I'm fine with them charging Finns for the 30days, but hey, when you go that way .. how about Thais granting me same my wife gets ?

• Like 2

If so, the time definitively has come to spend the money in another country. Malaysia gives 90-day visa-free entry. All South American countries: visa-free entry for 3 months. And one thing more: My Thai wife got permanent residency in Switzerland, while I as a husband of a Thai wife have to apply for visa when I want to enter the country longer then 30 days. My Thai wife can legally work in Switzerland, she doesn't even need a work permit, while I am prohibited to work legally in Thailand. Where is reprocicity here? The regulations in Europe are much more foreigner-friendly then in Thailand.

Regarding US citizens in South America, Brazil requires a visa and Chile and Argentina charge, though you don't need a visa. Paraguay requires a visa as well.

Regarding US citizens in South America, Brazil requires a visa and Chile and Argentina charge, though you don't need a visa. Paraguay requires a visa as well.

I was not speaking about US citizens, but about EU and other European countries. Brazil and the other countries will have reasons when they demand a visa from US citizens.

well they should think and understand why those countries have visa fee ... as many Thais lost themselves in those countries to work illegally. Not to mention for the sake of the tourism industry Thailand decided to drop visa fee for many countries ... the reciprocity should be the same actually nothing wrong in this but careful about this decision as many tourists could decide to go in other places .....

not sure i agree with you on reciprocating. ok, so Thai visitors to the UK and US have to jump through hoops, but so do I.. Even though I have a work permit and visa i still have to check in every 90 days etc,,

Also, Thailand still has GSP privilages into the EU and US. This means that imported goods form Thailand attract a lower duty then say from China etc,, as Thailand is developing fair enough you might say. However, Thailand now has many wealthy people and EU and US companies would like to import to sell goods BUT the import duty into Thailand is crazy,, how is that reciprocal? Goods from the US and EU are always going to be luxury goods, it's not about competing with local, low cost manufacturing so it doesn't make any sense.

I applaud the Thai government's decision to eliminate free 30 days on arrival. Fewer farangs means more ladies for the rest of us.

I understood they'll be charging for a 30 day on arrival visa instead of completely waiving it. So not eliminated, just have to hand $$$ over when entering. Would slow down the entry at the airports, of course.

I applaud the Thai government's decision to eliminate free 30 days on arrival. Fewer farangs means more ladies for the rest of us.

I understood they'll be charging for a 30 day on arrival visa instead of completely waiving it. So not eliminated, just have to hand $$$ over when entering. Would slow down the entry at the airports, of course.

It is about free tourist visas.