Thai Foreign Ministry asked to rethink free visa fee decision

• Replies 386
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Of course since it is all about reciprocity, the day the new visa rules go into effect will be the same day that craft beer prices will drop to 135 baht (per pint, not small bottle) from 250 and upwards, same as in the US. And good wine will also be discounted by 50% in order to have parity with other countries. And let's not forget to drop all the national park fees, museum and temple entrance fees, etc down to the same prices for everyone, just like is done in all the reciprocal countries. Can't wait.

I applaud the Thai government's decision to eliminate free 30 days on arrival. Fewer farangs means more ladies for the rest of us.

I understood they'll be charging for a 30 day on arrival visa instead of completely waiving it. So not eliminated, just have to hand $$$ over when entering. Would slow down the entry at the airports, of course.

It is about free tourist visas.

Ah. Didn't even know they were free before, last time I got one was 2007. That time it cost me some.

It was the email newsletter that confused me: "

BREAKING NEWS
No more free 30-days on arrival entries planned
"
EDIT: From the Helsinki Thai Embassy's website (http://www.thaiembassy.org/helsinki/en/services/1937/26869-Tourist-Visa.html) on tourist visa charges:
4. Visa fee 30 € for a Single entry. 60 € for a Double entries. 90 € for a Three entries. We accept cash only. Applicant can apply up to 3 entries. There is no multiple entries for tourist visa. (Visa fee may be changed without prior notice.)
Edited by DrTuner

Yes, it is true, it is far more difficult for thais to enter europe, then it is for europeans to enter thailand.

Now, why would that be?

If 1000 europeans enter thailand with no hassles, 999 will return before their visas expire, 1 will stay on illegally for working / whoring / or whatever.

If 1000 thais enter europe with no hassles, how many will return before their visas expire?

Please Samran, answer that one.

Honestly, this is the problem. I have been to several countries with the wife and been told "Thais are our number one overstayers" as they were explaining the difficulties of us entering. We got in everywhere, but many times with great difficulty. After many visas and stamps, it got easier in the countries we frequented as they saw that she had never overstayed or broken any immigration regulations.

Until Thais stop overstaying, we aren't likely to see many changes in the immigration policies in other countries. What this will do is push people to other countries that allow visa free entry. I know I have done that on some trips (not to Thailand, but to other countries). While planning my trip I looked at what the visa requirements/fees were and figure that into my timing and budget, so some places just got skipped. Up to them, really, but then they can see where the tourism numbers go. Maybe if they are so sanguine about it and don't mind pushing some away, it will all be fine.

I came here the first time partially because it was visa free--I had work to do and just wanted some easy place to relax away from where I was living at the time. Sure I am not the only one.

Key word being used RECIPROCAL

What about Thai being able to own their own homes and have a business free and clear of other peoples ownership in most all foreign destinations that freely give out long term visas for them - the Thai mentality and thought process are so damn skewed

it’s all about the money the few 10's of thousands of travelers from these countries each year - they might miss making a few more baht

Bullshit to their reasoning’s and if this is case and that’s the logic they are willing to put forward - then all other countries should impose the same business and home ownership and visa restrictions they have placed on Farangs.

• Like 1

Think everyone has missed the point on this one......the government is in the hole over the rice scam they are looking for ways to make additional income

Thats what i said clap2.gif

Sorry missed your post in the sea's of venom and outrage in the rest of the posts

....they can't do this we are farangs you know we have rights we demand to be treated better, why don't they do this to the Russians and Chinese LoL

Don't you just love when Thailand makes any changes to the rules.... they are effective immediately. Most countries Normally there is a time for adjustment when making a rule change, 3 months, 6 months a year .... Not for Thailand .... Make me laugh as they make these changes out if the blue

I can understand their thinking. You pay for a visa for most countries so this will not be any different.

Yes and the actual visa fee should be reciprocal as well, if Thais get charged 100 US/£ to visit a particular country, nationals of said country should be charged the same coming to Thailand

Cart before the horse?

Immigration commissioner, who is a police officer, asks ministry of foreign affairs. whistling.gif Serious buffoonery! coffee1.gif ... blink.png

The tagon legitimation bit of better monitoring criminals seems like a fine exercise in pointless and unsubstantiated sprouting. Why does the media even bother with such an irrelevant opinion, beyond the man's station.

Edited by Morakot
  • Like 1

Yes Thailand please make it same way like Europe does, C and D visa's.

C Visa is short stay max 3 months and D Visa is long stay 5 years ( with D you can work no work permit needed )

And with the Asian schengen area please apply same rules which you find in Schengen Europe.

I'm Dutch married with a Thai and live now in Belgium......no Visa fees apply its free of charge !

• Like 1

I just looked up the cost of a US tourist visa on the Department of State website and it seems to cost $160 (about 5,100 baht) for a B2 tourist visa currently and lists the validity as 10 years with multiple entries and up to a 6 month stay per entry. That really doesn't sound like a bad deal to me.

Thailand doesn't actually offer a tourist visa equivelant to a US B2 so the idea of reciprocity is sort of silly. Having said that, if Thailand DID offer an equivelant visa for 5,100 baht I think most would consider it a good deal.

"Immigration commissioner Pol Lt-Gen Panu Kerdlarpphol explained that the reason for reconsideration was that the 17 countries still charge visa fees on Thai nationals.

The visa fee exemption should be reciprocal …."

So he wants reciprocity? How about for land ownership? How about for entrance to parks and national museums?

Reciprocity is a two way street, not just useful for one side!

What an absolutly wonderful idea. Give all the thai house owners in the UK 180 days to sell their property. This will give the UK government somewhere to put the next influx of immigrants expected from the new EEA member countries on 1st of January. Charge all Thai nationals the same percentage more as we experience for thai national parks, zoos etc. may make London Zoo a wee bit expensive at around £2500 a ticket! Bring in compulsury double pricing for restuarants etc. I'm sure we could decrease the national debt considerably.

sorry, seem to have lost my spell checker!

• Like 1

Or how do we get the last buck out of these tourists ...... They can also start to think about an exit fee !!!bah.gif.pagespeed.ce.-cCHYEZ1Lo.gif alt=bah.gif pagespeed_url_hash=4274630315 width=19 height=19>

I love the use of the word 'reciprocal' ! Does that mean that we can buy property in Thailand as Thaksin bought (and sold) Man City? Will it mean that shopkeepers will charge the same price to all nationalities? Wlli the BIB stop corruption? That we can get bank loans, welfare, will it stop age and racial discrimination? the list is endless ! As always things are ok if they are in the Thais favour, if they're not you will hear their sobs and whines ................typical eh?

• Like 1

dao16

You really must do better !

Please tell us the countries that have major problems with Thais "overstaying "

In Europe Thai would not face any financial problems then only to get deported and get a stamp in there pasport that they cannot return back for 5 years.

Edited by NoBrains

Or how do we get the last buck out of these tourists ...... They can also start to think about an exit fee !!!bah.gif
when they talk about how to fleece us farangs out of money it's a sure sign they usually go through with the proposal, amazing Thailand and amazing how they think they can get away with it!

I just looked up the cost of a US tourist visa on the Department of State website and it seems to cost $160 (about 5,100 baht) for a B2 tourist visa currently and lists the validity as 10 years with multiple entries and up to a 6 month stay per entry. That really doesn't sound like a bad deal to me.

Thailand doesn't actually offer a tourist visa equivelant to a US B2 so the idea of reciprocity is sort of silly. Having said that, if Thailand DID offer an equivelant visa for 5,100 baht I think most would consider it a good deal.

Also just looked up refusal rates for B visas as many keep stating how difficult it is for Thai nationals to secure a US B visa. In 2012, the refusal rate for Thais was 10.2%, the same rate as for Japanese and less than half the refusal rate for citizens of backwaters like Ireland (21.1%) and the Netherlands (23.1%). I was rather surprised. The full list is available here.

Could this have anything to do with the compulsory tourist health insurance plan in addition to the reciprocity issues?

Include the premium within the visa price and it kills two birds.

Sounds logical to me but Thais and logic do not go together.

Not that I agree with either of these proposed funds. Sounds nothing more than a desperate measure by a broke caretaker Government.

NB Can they implement measures such as this with no Government in place?

Can the mods give 24 hours to anyone using the word loose instead of lose and any derivatives.There is no such word as loosing. The verb is loosening,

if you can't afford 1000 baht don't come. It costs more than that on budget airlines for 2 beers, a coffee and a few snacks.

Edited by ronrat

"The visa fee exemption should be reciprocal in order to be fair to Thai tourists and travelers wishing to visit those countries, he said, adding that, moreover, applying for visas to visit the US and England by Thai nationals is very complicated and problematic."

OK,... fair's fair,.. so how about allowing foreigners to work without a permit and own land just as they are in the countries reciprocally noted?

...oh yeah,... and no 90 day reporting on 12 month visa,.. make all visas of "residency" status to be true 2 year residential visas without the "on parole" style 90 day reporting. After 2 years residency is over then allow application for citizenship!

THAT'S FAIR!!!

Part of the 2014 tourist reduction program

Enjoy the Russians, Indians and Chinese! My Thai wife hates them all, she can't figure out which group is the most boorish and rude, but really has it in for the Chinese.

My wifes ten year visa was fast, cheap and easy. Expect a CR1 to go the same.

Funny thing is that nations create visa polices based on a number of things. It is only the most petty of nations that go in for this tit-for-tat thing. Thailand was a shining example of letting people flood in, take their money and watch them leave. Visas are small money, take money, time and govt pensioned lazy bureaucrats to process - and overseas no le$$.

Too funny - We are made out to be the lands of scousers. This is coming from...Thailand (Immigration!!). That is seriously, the funniest thing I have heard all month. Thailand as the old saying goes...where half the women are pros snd half the men are cons.

Edited by fifthcolumn
  • Like 2