PM Yingluck: Govt cannot move election date

webfact

It might be me (with my over-simplistic way of thinking) but can they not just ask the King to move the date, pretty please? Is it that dam_n hard?

So what date do you suggest? I can't see a date both sides would be happy with, so whats the point?

TIT wai2.gif.pagespeed.ce.goigDuXn4X.gif alt=wai2.gif pagespeed_url_hash=1722055545 width=20 height=20>

It should work as you suggest, but will not here in the LOS

"So what date do you suggest?"

- It's actually quite clear, the protest groups are saying they want serious discussions and formulation / passing of serious electoral law adjustments, then an election.

Actually it's not the first time this has happened.

The Surayud government, through a reform body, passed a range of electoral reforms to try to 'outlaw' vote buying and 'outlaw serious manipulation of voters. Unfortunately the reforms didn't go far enough / didn't have enough teeth.

End result - After the reforms were enacted there was an election, fairly quickly, the parties with no morals just worked their way through / around the new laws and turned vote buying / mass manipulation into an even bigger picture.

Another point - nobody is saying that any Thai party is lilly white, but some are more sincere / have a few more morals than others. I'm hoping that another party might appear out of the protest groups, with it's main members being the more moderate thinkers who drive real well though out reforms and as they do it build and maintain strong credibility. Dreaming? Perhaps but maybe it could happen, because there are many very credible, clean and sincere Thais who could do a lot of good stuff for Thailand but don't want to be associated with the current parties.

Edited by scorecard

It might be me (with my over-simplistic way of thinking) but can they not just ask the King to move the date, pretty please? Is it that dam_n hard?

So what date do you suggest? I can't see a date both sides would be happy with, so whats the point?

TIT wai2.gif.pagespeed.ce.goigDuXn4X.gif alt=wai2.gif pagespeed_url_hash=1722055545 width=20 height=20>

It should work as you suggest, but will not here in the LOS

"So what date do you suggest?"

- It's actually quite clear, the protest groups are saying they want serious discussions and formulation / passing of serious electoral law adjustments, then an election.

Actually it's not the first time this has happened.

The Surayud government, through a reform body, passed a range of electoral reforms to try to 'outlaw' vote buying and 'outlaw serious manipulation of voters. Unfortunately the reforms didn't go far enough / didn't have enough teeth.

End result - After the reforms were enacted there was an election, fairly quickly, the parties with no morals just worked their way through / around the new laws and turned vote buying / mass manipulation into an even bigger picture.

Another point - nobody is saying that any Thai party is lilly white, but some are more sincere / have a few more morals than others.

"The protest groups are asking for serious discussions"

LOL and some cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

"But some are more sincere"

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif please stop cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

call me naive but,

If Yingluck" democratic election is not excepted by the opposition, and allowed to serve full 4 year term at which time the opposition would have it's turn at making their case to the electorate and perhaps winning,

whats to prevent the reds from doing the same to the opposition if they should gain power? Is the situation in Thailand so bad that it can't wait until the end of Yinglucks term?

Yes

In terms of the election date several well established Thai legal eagles have indicated that there are ways to postpone / change the election date. The PT folks are not listening, for one simple reason, they don't want to listen.

Further, I,m starting to wonder if the new Election Commission president is making too many statements on this subject.

Here's a pretty good analysis on the whole election date quandary.

http://asiancorrespondent.com/117342/can-the-election-be-delayed/

Yes, some legal heads have advanced ideas allowing to postpone the date, but none of them look really solid at all if you look at the text of the constitution. Only a ruling by the constitution court would give any kind of certainty.

That buggers it then! PTP don't abide by the Constitution Court rulings unless they happen to agree. Back to the drawing board.

EVerything out from her mouth are BS.

Remember what she used to say? She willing to do anything so long to bring back peace and happiness for the nation.

But look at her now. People did not reject election voting but just want to defer the election date due to the fear of civil unrest. She cant compromise and now even said EC has no right to change the date.

Obviously she know the consequences of having the election on 2 feb yet she insist to carry on.

Once again, she has prove to us nation and citizens are not in her top priorities.

Only 2.2trillions baht in their heads.

period.

They have 2 goals, the 2.2 trilliion loan so they can keep a large amount for themselves, and Thaksin Amnesty mark 2 after the 180 days are up. If either of these happens then both are nails in the coffin for the future of this country.coffee1.gif