Not so Disabled Beggars Arrested in Rayong

Rimmer

Beggars Arrested in Rayong

4917921.jpg

RAYONG:--Rayong police have arrested beggars in Rayong market due to many local people complaining that they were annoying tourists.

RAYONG – December 19, 2013 [PDN]; at 11.00 a.m. journalists were informed that there were Cambodian beggars begging for money in Star Plaza market fair, Amphur Mueang, Rayong province so they went to inspect the scene and coordinated with Pol. Lt. Col. Manit Boonmalert (Deputy Superintendent of Rayong city police station) and Pol. Sub. Lt. Surom Kaewsai (Deputy Inspector) to arrest the alien beggars.

When the officers revealed themselves to arrest the baggers who pretended to be disabled they tried run away and bystanders were so surprised. The police arrested 1 mother with 3 children and 1 grandmother. They then went to inspect their rented room in Bon Kai community behind Star Plaza hotel.

Ms. Somjai Jaidee, aged 40, who is the vendor at the market, revealed that she always comes to sell goods at Star Plaza market fair every Monday and Thursday and she usually sees the alien beggars that are disable.They beg for money on the footpath which annoys her customers. The local people have complained about them and they want the related organizations come and arrest them.

Full story:http://www.pattayadailynews.com/en/2013/12/20/beggars-arrested-in-rayong/

--PATTAYA DAILY NEWS 2013-12-20

I live on Sukhumvit Soi 11 and for anyone who feels sorry for the old lady beggars or the women with a couple of sleeping (drugged up) kids who sit outside of expat bars and ATMS, have a look at that large satchel bag that everyone of them is sitting in front of, I guarantee you that they all will have one. What do you think that bag is full of? A few months ago we had to wait for a taxi in Chinatown for about 10 mins and I watched this frail old lady cash up up about sixty 100 baht plastic bags with 10 baht coins in that period and stash it in her satchel, and then plead poverty whenever another mark came along. It was like watching an arcade cashier cash up their float.

These people, and their employers are some of the biggest scammers going, and while they may not be generally dangerous they are liars, thieves, child neglecters and I absolutely deplore them.

Ditto your comments. And even those that are obviously and definitely disabled make a small fortune in Pattaya/Jomtien. Watch one shimmying up the beach and they can score 200 baht (at least) within 10 minutes and only move 100 metres. What does that amount to in a day - maybe a couple of grand or more?

While I have sympathy for them being disabled, they have found a way to make a good income, and I won't supplement that income. Watch the Thais, they don't give.

• Like 1

These people, and their employers are some of the biggest scammers going, and while they may not be generally dangerous they are liars, thieves, child neglecters and I absolutely deplore them.

A genuine beggar who is need of a spot to beg will quickly meet the beggar mafia. It's a profitable, competitive, and dangerous business.

Edited by 96tehtarp

Just up from Central World on the bridge over the klong sits a guy everyday, begging with a plastic cup in his mouth.

On first glance you'd think the poor chap has no arms, but on closer inspection you can see his arms folded under his heavy denim shirt.

He wears the same shirt everyday and it looks like glue has been used to keep the baggy shape that hides his folded arms.

Thais are quite inventive at timesbiggrin.png

The guy on Soi Bukaow who rides around on his hand-control bike has a brand new pickup. I see him riding around in it in town. The bike is in the back. No such thing as real beggars here in Asia. The mafia won't let the real ones beg.

the alien beggars

I once saw one of them getting into a brand new space ship at the end of her shift.

How did you know it was brand new? Oh, the red number plate.

Did it have a flux capacitor? whistling.gif

Yeah, this one harnessed the power of somtam farts.

Ah.....the Mk II model.

I would still rather give money to the blind musicians/legless man making there way around the beer bars

than the UN/NGO's that spend 98% on the millions they scam from donors on salaries, first class flights

and hotels, and fundraiser events. These are the people that should be in jail.

• Like 2

Just up from Central World on the bridge over the klong sits a guy everyday, begging with a plastic cup in his mouth.

On first glance you'd think the poor chap has no arms, but on closer inspection you can see his arms folded under his heavy denim shirt.

He wears the same shirt everyday and it looks like glue has been used to keep the baggy shape that hides his folded arms.

Yes, I've seen this guy for many years. When he gets thirsty he unfolds his arms from under the shirt, pick up a bottle of water and take a sip. Then back to the begging scam.

Worked in a music store near Disneyland, California. The freeway on-ramp beggars would clean up on Friday nights and bought many a guitar with one and five dollar bills. Tax free and the cardboard signs too.

Some were creative in their slogans. Like the one that said,"Why Lie, I need a Beer!"

One time my thai wife and I were in Hua Hin and passed by a beggar in the city near the beach and was asking for money to buy food because he was hungry. We both don't like giving money but opted to buy some sticky rice and fried chicken to offer to him. The beggar flat out refused the food and said he couldn't eat sticky rice... get this... because he is muslim! <deleted>!!!! Its against Muslim law to eat sticky rice? Muslims sell it to me all the time. They wouldn't sell something they couldn't consume but that was so shocking. Your asking for money for food but can't take the food? Rediculous!

A genuine beggar who is need of a spot to beg will quickly meet the beggar mafia. It's a profitable, competitive, and dangerous business.

And may well find themselves genuinely disabled after the meeting.

What about the guy who crawls along Sukhumvit from soi 3 further along the sidewalk? He is known as the slug. I have seen it reported that when he finishes, he gets up on a crutch and away he goes.

I would still rather give money to the blind musicians/legless man making there way around the beer bars

I did that once at a street restaurant. His wife leading him.

Then watched as they rounded the corner, they jumped into a tuktuk and he took off driving no bother at all. :rolleyes:

I never give to any Thai charity now, once bitten, twice shy. The odd time if one is agressive in some manner I tell them to ask a rich Thai for some money. Thai love Thai, Thai for Thailand. ;)

Have you seen the guy with one leg who crawls on his belly ... usually on Suk. around Soi 7 & 5? I call him Khun Crawly.

I've seen him sitting upright around the corner eating lunch with his wife and two kids.

But the most amazing thing I've seen him do is get up on one leg and hop on one leg amazingly fast for about 30 meters to an ally and take a pee. He then hopped back to Suk., laid back down on his belly, and again started to crawl and beg.

This guy makes a lot of money ... but he never gets 1 baht from me

Edited by HerbalEd