Many aluminium pots 'fail' Thai safety standard

webfact

Many Aluminium Pots 'Fail' Safety Standard
By Khaosod Online

pot.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The Office of Consumer Protection Board (OCPB) has warned that Thais are at risk of suffering chemical contamination from kitchenware made of sub-standard aluminium alloy.

Almost of the 21 samples of aluminium utensils collected from 3 major provinces - Bangkok, Chiang Rai, and Nakhon Phanom - fail to pass the safety assessment conducted by the Department of Science Service, which operates under OCPB, said DSS Director-General Saowanee Musidaeng.

The assessment concludes that aluminium alloy utensils tend to release amount of aluminium, lead, zinc, and copper substances which exceeds recommended standard, Ms. Saowanee said.

The finding means that people who are using substandard aluminium alloys cooking equipment are at risks of food contamination, Ms. Saowanee told our correspondent. She said the DSS and the OCPB also advise consumer to use pure aluminium utensils when cooking acid-based food.

"The release of unwanted substance of the utensils, which contact directly with the food, depends on many factors," Ms. Saowanee said "Such as time, temperature, and the food’s level of Potential of Hydrogen Ion (Ph)".

To spot the different between aluminium alloy and pure aluminium equipment, consumers would notice that aluminium alloy utensils had uneven, dull and dark surface compare to pure aluminium tools, according to the DSS.

The DSS director general also assured that, contrary to ongoing rumour, there is not yet any links between aluminium and Alzheimer’s disease. She statement from the World Health Organisation (WHO) and the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) confirms this, she said.

Source: http://www.khaosod.co.th/en/view_newsonline.php?newsid=TVRNNE56VXpNRGN5TXc9PQ==

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2013-12-20

• Like 2

Many things made in Thailand, are dangerous. Pure greed. Thai mantra!

The funny thing is that the Thais look down on Chinese goods for poor manufacturing quality. I have found little difference between Thai and Chinese manufacturing quality. The companies in both countries will do whatever it takes to reduce their costs.

• Like 1

The cooking pots are used on a daily routine thus those consuming food from them will be subjected to a continous exposure to health/life threatening substances. This is why some countries frore a company or the retailers to recall and replace defective devices. As childrens development, physically and mentally could be affected, someone needs to do way more than make a press release.

If this is the 'Consumer protections Board's' idea of protection for who knows, how many families, lets not task with inspecting safety equipment for motorbike riders.

Sorry, but since years it is well known, that in a lack of Mg (Magnesium) in the body, the body can not produce an enzym, that inactivate the Aluminium. The Aluminium than can destroy brain cells in a manner like Alzheimer. In Germany the sour rain causes Aluminium come from soil in the drinking water. Never use Aluminium for sour food.

But now, after I know there is lead to, we will change to Iron and steel pots...

Never hear about this office, who wake them up? Why the have so much stupid people in important positions? Corruption...whistling.gif

• Like 1

How many Thais can afford steel pots? Really, how many? The moderator is right, this is something that hurts people in a personal way, every day, and is not a laughable matter.

This needs to stop, and the department trying to educate the public is very good. Ignorance is not a disease. It simply means that someone does not know something.

Resume rants.

Sincerely,

Me

you would think they would make them be taken from the market but whats a few lives where money is concerned. Western countries actually have a code of ethics that makes this virtually impossible as everything has to pass safety standards but here if you tell them they arent safe they can sue you for ruining their business, go figure.

Maybe OCP could be so kind that they tell us which brands we should avoid ? If they did their report would be worth something. As it is now, their report is only rubbish.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 2

My wife simply refuses to use ANY Aluminium Cookware. We only use Stainless Steel, no point in taking any risk with what you cook at home.

When we go to restaurants....well we TRY to find places using Stainless Steel....but.....so we do the best we can, at least at home.

Maybe OCP could be so kind that they tell us which brands we should avoid ? If they did their report would be worth something. As it is now, their report is only rubbish. Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Never have and never will use an aluminium pot or utensil. Simple

• Like 1

"Almost of the 21 samples of aluminium utensils collected from 3 major provinces - Bangkok, Chiang Rai, and Nakhon Phanom - fail to pass the safety assessment conducted by the Department of Science Service..."

Of course not making anyone lose face trumps public safety. How come the manufacturers of the 21 failed samples aren't listed so consumers can avoid buying these poisonous products? It is totally useless to put out a safety warning and not tell the public how stay safe. As mentioned above, cheap aluminum utensils are all a majority of the populace are able to afford. So, it would be the right thing to keep them safe. However, safety and well being appear to be low on the priority list of public officials.

I got a bit worried reading this. I have been using a SHARP rice cooker, which has an aluminium pot, for cooking most things, though mainly porridge most days, does anyone think I have cause for worry?

Hmmmmm, good point, we use good quality stainless steel pans but of course the rice cooker is aluminium. It's a branded one so hopefully it will be good quality alli, not the alloy stuff being discussed here,

You're talking about people who use toxic leaking plastic bags for incredibly hot food, and over spray (200%+ one report said) deadly pesticides all over their crops. Aluminum pots and pans are no different... Mai pen rai.

Yeah, kinda puts it into perspective. Not to mention they smoke huge quantities of cheap cigarettes and get blitzed in inferior quality booze. But as we say mai bpen rai!

• Like 1

Many of our purchases are made on a 'hope' and a 'promise'. I have found neither result in the desired.outcome. Until people are put in positions based on their knowledge, committment, and acceptance that they are there to benifit/protect the people, this type of action will continue.

The lack of testing products prior to their being put on the open market as well as perodic verification that manufactoring follows the same line,seems foreign to the groups assigned to consumer protection. When a problem is pointed out/discovered punishment of the offender and/or compensation to the user, seem to to be overlooked, under the right conditions.

Buy shares Now in stainless pot companies

Stainless steel is all I will use at home.

Oh, except for the rice cooker which does have an aluminium or alloy pot but no real choice there.

Edited by Bpuumike