Bike Gear and Accessory Shops Reviews

H1w4yR1da

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If they're new for 34K that's a really good deal in LOS- 70K for slip-ons when you can buy a titanium full exhaust (single-sided) and a mapped PC-V for that amount seems a bit excessive...

Even with a customs hit I'd still look into the full exhaust option over slip-ons for that much money.

Are you sure that 70K doesn't include the Akra header as well?

Edited by RubberSideDown

Prices from http://www.motosport.com/TH

Akra slip-ons THB 78.798,81

If you then add the exhaust header (THB 22.386,,-) and a link pipe (THB 7.703,-) you will have a full system - so I figured I could start with slip ons and then upgrade if nessesary.

In the US the slip-ons are about USD 1.900,-

Which full system have you seen at around 70K ?

If you can source the Brock's CT single or CT Meg through the US, they're both less than 60K (the CT dual is $2300, or 75K)- I got my CT Single (QuietKore) full titanium system to LOS for just over 60K by marking it as 'used' on the shipping label (I only wanted a single system as my goal was to drop as much weight as possible)- I can't say that will work every time, though- if you have any trips scheduled, you can bring it back yourself as it's not very big. Most other full single systems are less than that, but they won't be titanium.

The full Akra system with the header is less than 78K at Revzilla.

Edited by RubberSideDown

Are the advantages of a full-system over a slip-on really worth the extra expense?

Depends on your goals- if it's a significant horsepower increase across the board (especially in the mid-range), then yes- a single-sided system (which obviously has to be a full system if it's going on a bike that came stock with duals) will also drop quite a bit more weight.

It's more work to install and requires a PC-V (to avoid running lean), but if performance is your goal, then a full system in the best choice. What Ninja4Me is planning to do is fine (go for slip-ons with the possibility of upgrading other components later)- I just think it's an expensive route he's taking.

• Like 1

Interesting. I've read differing opinions on various bike forums re. this subject from riders a lot more technically-experience than me and what you're saying appears correct but the debate over the amount of hp gain with a full system is still raging, it appears.

I guess for my bike, which has more hp than I'll ever need, any performance issue isn't that relevant so I'm getting a carbon Yoshi slip-on for looks, sound (Khao Yai here I come!) and weight.

Anyway, back on thread. I can recommend this local western-run vendor, Tyga Performance, for carbon parts. http://tyga-performance.com/th/

Edited by H1w4yR1da

The amount of power you have the potential to add varies by bike- it's also not always about peak power, which people get too caught up in- if a pipe adds 3hp up top it doesn't sound like much, but it might add 10hp in the midrange where we generally do most of our riding- many systems are a bit strangled to meet various emissions requirements (the US-spec ZX-10R being a great example as it makes nearly 20hp less than its Euro counterpart)- this is done either through the ECU or the exhaust system.

I agree your bike (and my bike) has all the peak power it needs, but my main goal was an increase between 3500-7500rpm, plus I dropped about 30lbs of unsprung weight, which had the same effect as a hp increase (improvement in the power-to-weight ratio).

Edited by RubberSideDown

I've got a 2013 ZX-14R. It's got a Brock's full titanium CT Single exhaust with the QuietKore can. I had to install a PC-V to avoid running lean, and it came programmed with the Brock's Street Map, which works with E10 95 octane. I also have a custom flash for my ECU, but only for timing and secondary throttle plate sequencing (and a few other tweaks like elimination the the speed limiter and on-the-fly TC setting, and especially the elimination a a 'nanny mode' that retards fueling when the throttle is whacked open in the lower gears) as the PC-V takes care of the FI system.

I imported the exhaust and PC-V (no Brock's dealers in LOS) from the States and bought an ECU flashing unit from Australia and worked with a tuner in Canada to create a map, which I uploaded myself- it took some trial-and-error, but he was basically able to set up my bike from the other side of the world, which was pretty cool.;)

Edited by RubberSideDown

Got a rough idea of all that. I'm more of a "I sit here, the gas goes in there and I twist this" type of guy. 55!

I used to be as well, but there aren't too many tuners in LOS who know my bike (though that's slowly changing as more of them hit the streets) and nowhere to get anything beyond a set of slip-ons, so I learned what I could about it as I knew I'd have to bring everything in myself.;)