Accident Jomtien 2nd Road and Thap Praya Road

GaryB1263

Do you mean near the Hanuman monument? People drive like complete lunatics in that area, especially those arriving along 2nd road and heading towards Pratumnak. It seems to have got worse rather than better since they put the traffic lights in. Another place where there are often accidents is the corner of Theprasit and Thappraya.

I've never understood why they dont just put a few policemen on these corners to issue tickets for bad driving (speeding, jumping lights, illegal parking, incorrect lane usage). There are so many bad drivers here that the fines imposed would pay a policeman's wages within a few minutes of him starting work each day, with the rest making a very large and useful contribution to city hall's coffers.

• Like 2

Do you mean near the Hanuman monument? People drive like complete lunatics in that area, especially those arriving along 2nd road and heading towards Pratumnak. It seems to have got worse rather than better since they put the traffic lights in. Another place where there are often accidents is the corner of Theprasit and Thappraya.

I've never understood why they dont just put a few policemen on these corners to issue tickets for bad driving (speeding, jumping lights, illegal parking, incorrect lane usage). There are so many bad drivers here that the fines imposed would pay a policeman's wages within a few minutes of him starting work each day, with the rest making a very large and useful contribution to city hall's coffers.

I've had the same thoughts. They could make big money from a variety of traffic violations that are soooo easy to see and by stopping them, would make the roads safer and traffic flow smoother. Like the triple (or quadruple) lane turns from Suk on the roads into Pattaya. So dangerous and totally block traffic on Suk. There's a police box right there, always a copper on duty. But nothing is done.

I guess it's easier to sit in the shade and collect money from scooter drivers.

• Like 2

They should introduce some kind of law where you're penalized for traffic violations eventually losing your license. ..

Sent from Android please excuse errors in type or judgement

That was introduced about 10 years ago. Cannot remember the points / offence though. Does not seem to be used much, would need official tickets.

They should introduce some kind of law where you're penalized for traffic violations eventually losing your license. ..

That was introduced about 10 years ago. Cannot remember the points / offence though. Does not seem to be used much, would need official tickets.

Psst t'was sarcasm :P

Too many drivers out there don't have a license to put the points on anyway!!

As I have suggested before.....

Take the keys away and impound the vehicle (whatever the size) and allow the offender to collect it after they have paid a large fine....or it has been kept for a certain period....

For the "habitual" offender "crush" the vehicle....again whatever size (be it a bus- lorry-taxi or private vehicle)

They will get the message in the end

But this calls for "real" policing......and "sadly"that is another problem

Psst t'was sarcasm tongue.png

Too many drivers out there don't have a license to put the points on anyway!!

Sorry, missed it. Too early in the day and/or not enough coffee, that's my excuse anyway.

• Like 1

I got an idea...why don't all you wingers go back to wherever you came from. There you can play hide and seek with the coppers and their traffic cameras, radar guns, and $500 tickets...but hey, youll be so much safer!

All the driving habits you complain about are just SOP for driving a vehicle in Thailand. Most of them are adhock mechanisms to make up for the lack of enough road surface area to handle the traffic volume. It's the only way to get anywhere and besides, they make driving in Thailand a thrill a minute.

Edited by OMGImInPattaya

I got an idea...why don't all you wingers go back to wherever you came from. There you can play hide and seek with the coppers and their traffic cameras, radar guns, and $500 tickets...but hey, youll be so much safer!

All the driving habits you complain about are just SOP for driving a vehicle in Thailand. Most of them are adhock mechanisms to make up for the lack of enough road surface area to handle the traffic volume. It's the only way to get anywhere and besides,

they make driving in Thailand a thrill a minute.

certainly keeps you awake and on the ball

All the driving habits you complain about are just SOP for driving a vehicle in Thailand. Most of them are adhock mechanisms to make up for the lack of enough road surface area to handle the traffic volume. It's the only way to get anywhere and besides, they make driving in Thailand a thrill a minute.

Oh dear, then if they haven't got “enough road surface area to handle the traffic volume “they are clearly not qualified to be the “ hub “ of everything under the sun?sad.png

Edited by Asiantravel

The Thepprasit/Thappraya junction was always an accident blackspot. I remember a few years ago they removed the traffic lights when they were laying the new road. I thought "Oh oh, this should be interesting". To my surprise, the driving at the junction actually got better. There were no red lights to run and without traffic lights everyone approached the junction more carefully. Counter intuitive, but that's what happened.

The Thepprasit/Thappraya junction was always an accident blackspot. I remember a few years ago they removed the traffic lights when they were laying the new road. I thought "Oh oh, this should be interesting". To my surprise, the driving at the junction actually got better. There were no red lights to run and without traffic lights everyone approached the junction more carefully. Counter intuitive, but that's what happened.

I've made this argument many times on the forum...traffic lights at many lesser intersections actually result in more accidents and certainly <deleted>-up the flow of traffic and cause massive traffic backups. Many traffic engineers will concur...in fact, I think some cities in Europe have actually removed their traffic lights and found that the accident rates stay the same or actually fall and the traffic flows much better.