Anti-govt protesters rally across Thai capital

Lite Beer

I may remove you from the list on the day that the Dems win power and reform this country into a proper democracy, I would be interested to hear your whining.

power in Thailand is won by winning elections...

Power in Thailand is won by buying elections, hadn't you heard? It's common knowledge amongst almost the entire Thai nation, speak to a few Thais and ask if it's true, they'll most likely smile, or laugh, and admit they were bought.

I can't believe this has to be pointed out to everybody on here who claims Thailand is a democracy and that democracy is at stake, it's <deleted>.

Elections in all nations are "bought". Keep your core supporters on board with policies that benefit them, attract floating voters with policies that can benefit them, ignore what is happening to the nation if it keeps you in power. No difference in LOS. The money that was handed out was done by both parties. Simple fact is that people vote for the party under which they will be better off. Problem for the Democrats is that a majority of Thai's see themselves as better off under PT.

Maybe those people are the uneducated, doesn't mean their decisions are less valid, educated voters also make bad choices, hard to explain George Bush in any other way.

• Like 2

• Replies 377
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I may remove you from the list on the day that the Dems win power and reform this country into a proper democracy, I would be interested to hear your whining.

Power in Thailand is won by buying elections, hadn't you heard? It's common knowledge amongst almost the entire Thai nation, speak to a few Thais and ask if it's true, they'll most likely smile, or laugh, and admit they were bought.

I can't believe this has to be pointed out to everybody on here who claims Thailand is a democracy and that democracy is at stake, it's <deleted>.

PTP and Dems do offer 'gifts' (which is wrong of course) but you do not know Thailand well if you think voters do not vote for who they like. NO ONE checks who they voted for and no one knows.

I think a large part of the protesters mindsets is that they want corruption to end, isn't that what we all want? And if that happened, would Thak...Yingluck win by a 'landslide'? > I detest that phrase in this particular situation.

This debate could go on forever between them and us, but Thailand will only be a real democracy in 1 or 2 generations-time, when, and if, education is improved to a decent level and teaches children social rights and wrongs...

Prbkk post # 75

This was a mega flop. Lumpini Park is deserted, no one left at Asoke, very thin and dispirited protest marching down Sukhivit...2 abreast. People have voted with their feet on Khun Suthep by staying away in droves

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Perhaps you have not actually seen the images that are posted here on the site on the update page.

Seems there are rather more people there in Bangkok who are demonstrating than you care to admit.

One can but only presume that those red tinted spectacles have a very limiting effect upon your and no doubt others too fields of vision when wornwhistling.gif

Actually, I was writing from what I saw with my own eyes. The crowd moving down Sukhumvit was really in the gutter, traffic is passing them. There are ( or were 45 minutes ago) a couple of hundred people having a picnic in Lumpini Park. The crowd at BCC and MBK maxed at about 1000, maybe a few more. Most people were leaving the sites and going home by BTS ( perhaps there is a replay of the SEA Games football final)

• Like 1

There are close to 10 million people in Bangkok with no real distance to travel if they wish to join the protest, and we have a report of money being offered to attend......hardly a groundswell of opinion if you do the maths, is there even 1% turn out of Bangkok residents? I doubt it, as we hear many are arriving from the south!! then indeed Bangkok would appear to be ignoring Suthep

• Like 2

I think a large part of the protesters mindsets is that they want corruption to end, isn't that what we all want? And if that happened, would Thak...Yingluck win by a 'landslide'? > I detest that phrase in this particular situation.

This debate could go on forever between them and us, but Thailand will only be a real democracy in 1 or 2 generations-time, when, and if, education is improved to a decent level and teaches children social rights and wrongs...

yes she would is the simple answer - don't for one minute think that Thais will not vote for who they want no matter who pays them - they take the money and go vote for who they want it is a fallacy to think the Poo Yai Baan knows or is standing over them

try to understand that normal Thais want an end to this 'Amart/Elite' aristocracy running things in BKK

Edited by binjalin
  • Like 1

My wife and I passed through Asoke intersection several times during the afternoon, and -- contrary to PR's claims above -- there were A LOT of people there...many thousands.

Enough to pretty much block traffic in both directions on Suk Road at the BTS Asoke Station there.

I couldn't tell if they were trying to march from there or not. It seemed like some people were leaving there to head for Siam Square. But that part was pretty sparse.

However, then later when we returned around 3 pm, the vast vast majority of the crowd was still camped there at Asoke.

So, to illustrate the points.

No shortage of protesters at Asoke intersection around 2 pm:

post-58284-0-50550900-1387706812_thumb.j post-58284-0-03011300-1387706825_thumb.j post-58284-0-81592600-1387706842_thumb.j

Enough to block the street both on the Asoke intersection end, and on the back end near Terminal 21.

post-58284-0-30162300-1387706900_thumb.j

But there didn't seem to be much of a march toward Siam, at least not through the mid-afternoon hours:

post-58284-0-50062300-1387706944_thumb.j post-58284-0-40350100-1387706953_thumb.j post-58284-0-45971000-1387706967_thumb.j

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

Doesn't Suthep think it odd that only Bangkok folks are protesting, and only a fraction of the numbers he reports? It's amazing how little support this guy has.

What is even more amazing, at least to me, is that since the government set up their "war room", we are seeing a lot of posts trying to discredit Suthep. If he has no point, and no supporters and he is breaking some "real" law, why doesn't Tarit step in and arrest him? After all, his various locations are printed for all to see.

Doesn't Suthep think it odd that only Bangkok folks are protesting, and only a fraction of the numbers he reports? It's amazing how little support this guy has.

What is even more amazing, at least to me, is that since the government set up their "war room", we are seeing a lot of posts trying to discredit Suthep. If he has no point, and no supporters and he is breaking some "real" law, why doesn't Tarit step in and arrest him? After all, his various locations are printed for all to see.

You don't know why he hasn't been arreested? He wants a blood sacrifice to bring in the military. The regime is well aware of that. To arrest him will mean that his brain dead whistle monkeys will get shot. And that will bring on a coup.

Nope it isn't. Yes votes are being bought, either directly or through policies. But no, they do not determine the actual election results. I know quite a few thais and they simply vote for whoever they deem worthy of their vote. Of course the fairy tale that one side participates in vote buying, whilst the other side isn't, is highly amusing.

And yes democracy is very much at stake here, don't for a minute think it isn't.

I have to admit that vote buying is one thing both the democrat and for thai parties do. And since both of the parties know that the act of buying votes will not determine the winner, so they opt to buy the winner instead. If you have been living in Thailand for some time, you should know by now that in each region, there is at least one or two prominent political figures and most likely they'll win the election in their areas. So Thaksin put this idea into practice. He knows he needs only 300 winners, so he'd buy the prominent political figure of each regions who are likely to attain lower house of representatives status into his party. By giving them each 20 millions, he could buy Thailand just under 6 billion bahts or under 200 million USD. Very cheap for buying a country, don't you agree?

Prbkk post # 75

This was a mega flop. Lumpini Park is deserted, no one left at Asoke, very thin and dispirited protest marching down Sukhivit...2 abreast. People have voted with their feet on Khun Suthep by staying away in droves

RT@Michael_Yon: Massive crowd marching toward Siam. Must be 50-100,000.

You don't half talk a load of crap.

You are embarrassing yourself.

edited to add:

xBcFKyCzCUAE56Aw.jpg.pagespeed.ic.GMYEx6

1528601_743539435659001_353128689_n.jpg

1479111_743531738993104_135412042_n.jpg

Edited by Nibbles48

So what reforms is he proposing because to my knowledge he has never mentioned specifics. Any anti corruption measures will effects his corrupt friends as well..cant see that happening. The future will tells us the real reason for this protest

I did see a list of the proposed reforms somewhere on this forum, they were strict.

Prbkk post # 75

edited to add:

Absolutely nothing like it when I was there...blue sky tv right now claiming 600,000.....a joke

The crowd around Saladaeng BTS MIGHT have been in the low thousands but no more than any previous time and certainly fewer than the last big protest

I repeat, a mega flop

Edited by Prbkk
  • Like 1

Prbkk post # 75

edited to add:

Absolutely nothing like it when I was there...blue sky tv right now claiming 600,000.....a joke

The crowd around Saladaeng BTS MIGHT have been in the low thousands but no more than any previous time and certainly fewer than the last big protest

I repeat, a mega flop

Delf-delusion is a pretty serious problem. I'd get to a quack, seriously!

-mel.

• Like 1

Ditto.

It is hard to believe so many posters claim that there was anything democratic about Thailand's current election system of vote buying. It is very common knowledge that Phue Thai pays more, that is a big factor with the poor populace. I have not seen it hidden either, it is done in the open.

Without strong reform another farce election will simply put the same corrupt system back into place with 'promise' of reform. That is also common knowledge and is why the Dems said from the beginning that they were not seeking YL to step down and call for a snap election and is exactly why she did it anyways.

You don't know why he hasn't been arreested? He wants a blood sacrifice to bring in the military. The regime is well aware of that. To arrest him will mean that his brain dead whistle monkeys will get shot. And that will bring on a coup.

A brain dead whistle monkeys trying to steal power from democratic, politically aware, educated, uncorruptable, sharp witted and long sighted citizents in red shirts and their dear leader from afar. Ts, ts, ts, bad, bad monkeys.

• Like 1

Don't worry he will get arrested. Things take time in Thailand if you are an influential person. My guess when he has to turn himself next time, their will be no bail for him.

Ditto.

It is hard to believe so many posters claim that there was anything democratic about Thailand's current election system of vote buying. It is very common knowledge that Phue Thai pays more, that is a big factor with the poor populace. I have not seen it hidden either, it is done in the open.

Without strong reform another farce election will simply put the same corrupt system back into place with 'promise' of reform. That is also common knowledge and is why the Dems said from the beginning that they were not seeking YL to step down and call for a snap election and is exactly why she did it anyways.

When Suthep and Abhisit were in power just two years back why they didn't called for reforms. I wonder why? The Democrats had their chance a long time ago. In fact 20 years ago when Suthep bring down the last democrat elected government under Comrade Suthep.

PTP party pay almost nothing in Isaan. Its the Newin Group and CTP that pays most of the money to buy votes but Isaan farmers are not stupid. They take the money from everyone and still vote PTP.

• Like 1

Agree, and further with this much volatility an arrest right now could turn him into a martyr and re-energize his brain dead supporters. The government and Prime Minister have been very good at marking him and other protest leaders for arrest, placating in a reasonable way demands for reform, showing resistance to the demagoguery and attempts to provoke confrontations without ever giving them the red meat moment they want and need by falling back and bleeding out the energy in their charges. Someone(s) at the government side is a master strategist with a sense of the long game. Now that Abhisit and his pack of cowards have put tail between legs in advance of the election it will be interesting to see whether the government can finally put this through the goal posts on February 2 and relegate the opposition to a neutered position at the table of reform.

Wrong and wrong. What's going to happen is a repeat of 2006. Low voter turnout by Dem supporters and not enough voters turning up in the South and thus no representation there. Then the PTP 'victory' will declared invalid by the courts and then we'll be back to the drawing board. Even money that there will be a coup.

Prbkk post # 75

edited to add:

BcFKyCzCUAE56Aw.jpg

I repeat, a mega flop

BlueSky is a flop too clap2.gif

Suthep on Ratchaprasong rally stage, insists protests peaceful, threatens to shut down Bangkok for a month if caretaker PM does not resign /MCOT

I bet she won't, she cares nothing for Bangkok even if it totally shreds the economy.

She will just play around in the north and pretend it is not happening.

Thaksn must be loving this.

• Like 1

PTP and Dems do offer 'gifts' (which is wrong of course) but you do not know Thailand well if you think voters do not vote for who they like. NO ONE checks who they voted for and no one knows.

I have seen nobody shy about telling who they voted for and how much money they got for it.