Bus Stop falls onto Swedish Tourist on Jomtien Beach

webfact

ouch - how to ruin your holiday at the beach here... let me count the ways: 1.mugged, 2.beat up, 3.killed by jet ski, 4.banana boat speedboat, 5.money stolen from hotel room or lobby safe,6.parasailing boat, 7.scuba diving and left by boat captain, now having a bus stop sign fall on your haid.....yikes

• Like 1

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like a typical case of shoddy workmanship... but for sure nobody is responsible for this...

Hope the Swede will recover and can enjoy the remainder of his holiday, stay away from street furniture here!

Feel sorry for the guy who was in the wrong place at the wrong time, but the wrong place can be anywhere in the world.

"Looks like a typical case of shoddy workmanship... but for sure nobody is responsible for this..."

Definitely things suddenly and unexpectedly falling on someone's head could only happen in Thailand ... oh wait ...

London (CNN) -- The hundreds of theatergoers who packed into Central London's historic Apollo Theatre on Thursday night were expecting to watch a mystery.

But about 40 minutes into the play, shortly after 8 p.m., they got a drama instead.

"One of the actors said, 'Watch out!'" said one woman. "We thought it was part of the play."

It wasn't. Instead, it was part of the century-old structure's ornate plaster ceiling, which tumbled five stories onto the theatergoers, injuring scores of them, seven seriously, officials said.

http://edition.cnn.com/2013/12/19/world/europe/britain-london-theater-collapse/

"but for sure nobody is responsible for this..."

"...case of shoddy workmanship..."

No need to fix the roof until rains, I guess. First time they've had rain and lightning in London?? If you're going to the theater, first check the weather reports.

Mhora Samuel, from The Theaters Trust, said: “This was a very, very rare thing to have happened. The public should be completely reassured that all the theaters in the West End are safe.”

Performances at the Apollo have been cancelled until January 4. The Society of London Theaters said all other theaters in the city remain open for business.

There has been speculation that stormy weather in London on Thursday may have played a part in the accident, with multiple lightning strikes across the city.

http://variety.com/2013/legit/news/london-theater-owners-carry-out-safety-checks-on-historic-theaters-1200980694/

Edited by Suradit69
  • Like 1

A SIGN fell on him - not a "bus stop" - geez... Should be easy to find out who owns the signs. They are responsible for them and any injuries they cause. They, in turn, can go after their labor contractor. Never heard of something like this happening before, but from now on - I will test the sturdiness of any sign before I sit down next to it.

typical shoddy workmanship! probably cheap Chinese bolts that were stripped or nuts and lock-washers missing. Thailand is so dangerous it is unbelievable.

is that what old falangs in Jomtien (never been there or Pattaya in 30 years here) look and dress like in public?

"is that what old falangs in Jomtien (never been there or Pattaya in 30 years here) look and dress like in public?"

Pretty much what old farangs look like at the beach anywhere in the world. Until last year everyone dressed like the stud in the photo below, but for some reason things went rapidly down hill.

post-145917-0-59985200-1387783976_thumb.

Edited by Suradit69
  • Like 2

I live in Jomtien. I looked at the base that once held the sign. They did not use bolts, they used treaded rod. Two of the rods were gone, just the holes where they had once been. Those holes are perhaps 3/4 to 1" deep, like one joint of a finger. (insert appropriate outrage here). No anchor bolts, even a regular bolt would allow some bit of grab in the concrete. One rod was still in and the 4th one looked like the kind of wired used to tie rebar. Seems that workmanship is so shoddy that a strong wind should have knocked it over by now. I may go back and take a photo, if they haven't already removed the evidence. This was an accident waiting to happen, which may be why they removed all the other signs along beach road.

• Like 1

Jomtien bus stop signs - can anybody identify where this one was hijacked from?

J 2nd rd, near the market. Are there any buses on 2nd? Not even baht buses, AFAIK.

Or is it part of the one hundred year plan?

post-190997-0-64781700-1387785579_thumb.

Edited by Stuart21

ouch - how to ruin your holiday at the beach here... let me count the ways: 1.mugged, 2.beat up, 3.killed by jet ski, 4.banana boat speedboat, 5.money stolen from hotel room or lobby safe,6.parasailing boat, 7.scuba diving and left by boat captain, now having a bus stop sign fall on your haid.....yikes

Yes, one way or another something is going to get them. One sure way of getting rid of elderly relatives, send them on holiday to Jomtien Beach.

I cannot figure how to upload a photo here, but I took some. (If anyone can tell me how to add this to "my media" I would appreciate it, and post the shot(s)). These signs are not like the bus sign above, but are perhaps 8 feet high with a rectangular sign part maybe 2x3"., similar to shop signs with lights. Friend and I looked for one not removed. Has a round portion on top that was rusted out in the bottom. The nuts anchoring didn't look too great either. Think of a blunt axe waiting to fall. Being a flag shape makes that falling even more likely, with the continual stress pulling against side away from the street. (Correction: one I saw this evening is even more a hazard than one that fell. That one was more like a "T" but one I saw was more like an "F".)

Edited by Emdog

Why are farangs always half naked when they appear in the news?

Because...........they are at the beach ???

Eyes obviously are not wide open

Or brain not functioning

You seem a bit slow on the draw, so in the spirit of the Christmas season, I am going to

help you out. These are people at the beach, and astonishly enough, they are wearing

bathing suits !!!!! The fact that they are not cutting fine figures of men is a side issue....

This is the exact reason why I never lean on my balcony railings or any high up structural steel as I just don't trust the workmanship here. I was on my buddies 23rd floor room and although it was a beautiful view I would not lean against it and I told him not to as well as he is a newbie to Thailand.