Maltese Man Beaten Up By 7 Motorbike Taxi Riders

Rimmer

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Stupid thing to do..attacking an ATM, BUT why are these guys always hunt as pack? A bunch of cowards..that's what they are..

Because they know that a one on one fight with a bigger and heavier farang is a lost fight. This pack behaviour has deeper roots though. It also has to do with the fear of acting alone. Thai's don't like to do things alone, especially whipping someones ass. What if the farang beats the hell out of the one or two guys. Big loss of face. At least when there are 7 of them, they can be quite sure that they wont lose face. Unless the guy is a navy seal wink.png.pagespeed.ce.HJgPQ3U3SA.png

Really? I've seen some 10 year-old boys training on muay thai at my gym who could likely whoop da ass of 90% of the farangs in Pattaya. So not fighting one on one isn't related to fear on their part but group solidarity. It's like this in most if Asia... You have a dispute or fight with someone you have it with their whole family/group/clan/school etc. Why fight alone when you can bring all your family and friends as backup? Makes sense to me.

Thankfully this logic doesn't extend to the current political struggles. Also, from a personal viewpoint, I'd take my chances with a 10 yr old muay thai kid over 7 grown men ,armed with steel bars, anytime.

At least the kid would have some degree of morality instilled in him from his mentors !

• Like 2

Seriously who attacks an ATM machine.

Who hasn't KICKED a vending machine? Or two. rolleyes.gif.pagespeed.ce.hZ59UWKk-s.gifkicking_the_vending_machine_by_kida_kun-d3ko904.jpg

Everyone...and nobody standing around gives a flying <deleted>. That's why there's allot more to the story then what we've been told.

When are you going to get it into your thick head that it doesnt matter what the real story is .

Stop making apologies for a pack of rabid dogs that would be locked up in most countries for a very long time for this sort of behaviour.

The only good thing to come out of this story was that the Maltese guy didnt die.

And dont think it cant happen to you because you are polite and a good guy.

Where there are no repercussions for random acts of violence against foreigners all of us are at risk no matter how well we think we understand thai ways.

This is just a newspapers version of events, want to know what really happened, read the police report or get both sides of the story.

I'd say Mr Maltese was being a total firkwit and got a touch up.

Once again, know the rules of Thailand, don't ever expect a 1 on 1 fight. Actually in most of Asia you'll never get a 1 on 1 fight. Mr Maltese was being a firkwit, got warned and copped it. Tells the cops he fought of 7 with bars a bottles. Ask the taxi boys at bottom of soi 4 beach end who are usually older blokes and not a big rank as its not that busy, anyway and I think you'll hear another story from them. Don't expect arrests for this one. Think somebody got their ass handed to them and deserved it.

• Like 1

We should feel sorry for the guys here who actually agree that the Maltese guy deserved a beating. Ok, he took his temper out on the ATM, maybe he was down to his last baht and needed a taxi home, maybe he was drunk and maybe he did tell the motoci guys to f off. It still doesn't justify the kind of beating that he received. If there were 7 of them they could have overpowered him and called the cops and the Maltese guy would have spent the night in the slammer and paid a fine the next day.

People who actually really believe that he got what he deserved are pitiful, distasteful and cowards themselves. Probably a bunch of trolls.

• Like 2

We should feel sorry for the guys here who actually agree that the Maltese guy deserved a beating. Ok, he took his temper out on the ATM, maybe he was down to his last baht and needed a taxi home, maybe he was drunk and maybe he did tell the motoci guys to f off. It still doesn't justify the kind of beating that he received.

It does in the jungle.

If you can't be obedient to the superior monkey you get gang lynched.

• Like 1

I must be blind but can't see testimony by the alleged "transport thugs" in the report.

For a Farang (reads foreigner, not just white, not everything refers to us) to attempt to destroy property begets a beating.

I'm sure if I saw this back home, I wouldn't turn a blind eye. I would call the po-po....!

God gave us 2 ears to listen to both sides of the story.

From what my failing eyesight can see, it's simply a 1-sided story.

• Like 1

No they are sick of foolish foreigners acting like goats in there country. The verbal warning was to stop smashing up a machine and to behave. His response was to act like a pratt in public. Actually good to see, This is Thailand, know the rules and play by them or go back to where you come from. Seriously who attacks an ATM machine.

Tell me, what are the Thai police for? I mentioned this in a previous post but no one who defends the Thai behaviour seems to answer it. If he is actually smashing up an ATM (it doesn't actually say that he did) this is criminal damage which is a crime in Thailand. So, where it is right for 1) 7 guys to take the law into their own hands 2) 7 guys to tool and beat up 1 guy period? (this is ABH and also a crime)

Also, if someone is upset and frustrated as he was the sensible thing to do is try and calm him down not confront him and then beat him up. if he won't listen call the police, simple.

There is no justification for this. i hope one day is doesn't happen to you but if it does you will soon change your tune. I have seen what a group mugging did to a friend of mine some years ago, it isn't nice.

So, was this guy was wrong? Probably, but whatever he did the law should deal with it fairly and it is not for local people to take the law into their own hands. This is what a civilized society is all about. Someone actually mentioned earlier, if a rich, local Thai was doing this would they behave the same way? I am willing to bet not. So, don't accept this behavior, it's not right and you are wrong to justify and defend it.

• Like 2

I must be blind but can't see testimony by the alleged "transport thugs" in the report. For a Farang (reads foreigner, not just white, not everything refers to us) to attempt to destroy property begets a beating. I'm sure if I saw this back home, I wouldn't turn a blind eye. I would call the po-po....! God gave us 2 ears to listen to both sides of the story. From what my failing eyesight can see, it's simply a 1-sided story.

It's simply a 1 sided beating....

I must be blind but can't see testimony by the alleged "transport thugs" in the report. For a Farang (reads foreigner, not just white, not everything refers to us) to attempt to destroy property begets a beating. I'm sure if I saw this back home, I wouldn't turn a blind eye. I would call the po-po....! God gave us 2 ears to listen to both sides of the story. From what my failing eyesight can see, it's simply a 1-sided story.

It's simply a 1 sided beating....

Sure call the po-po. But the gang of thugs didn't.

We should feel sorry for the guys here who actually agree that the Maltese guy deserved a beating. Ok, he took his temper out on the ATM, maybe he was down to his last baht and needed a taxi home, maybe he was drunk and maybe he did tell the motoci guys to f off. It still doesn't justify the kind of beating that he received.

It does in the jungle.

If you can't be obedient to the superior monkey you get gang lynched.

what a stupid post,, Dave is right, completely right and your response to him is, well,, pointless really..

• Like 2

Seriously who attacks an ATM machine.

Who hasn't KICKED a vending machine? Or two. rolleyes.gifkicking_the_vending_machine_by_kida_kun-d3ko904.jpg

Everyone...and nobody standing around gives a flying <deleted>. That's why there's allot more to the story then what we've been told.

When are you going to get it into your thick head that it doesnt matter what the real story is .

Stop making apologies for a pack of rabid dogs that would be locked up in most countries for a very long time for this sort of behaviour.

The only good thing to come out of this story was that the Maltese guy didnt die.

And dont think it cant happen to you because you are polite and a good guy.

Where there are no repercussions for random acts of violence against foreigners all of us are at risk no matter how well we think we understand thai ways.

Completely with you on this. Completely unacceptable behaviour, and you're right it is a good thing he didn't die.

• Like 1

I've never heard of this happening anywhere else in Thailand. I think it's part of the wider "Pattaya farang" hate syndrome that has swept across Thailand in the last few years. It used to be the "Farang kao san" that got spoken about as low class foreigners but now the focus is on those who live in or frequent Pattaya. It's understandable how this has happened when you consider the constant stream of stories involving booze, violence, hookers and foreigners that make the papers and online news sites.

Those who don't live in Pattaya and can speak Thai will understand what I'm talking about. Thai people try to figure out your class/status quickly, as is the norm in Thai society, and one question that often comes up now is "do you like Pattaya", or variations such as "have you been to Pattaya" or "did you meet your GF/wife in Pattaya" . If the answer is yes, you'll get a few friendly jokes about women thrown your way, but in terms of respect, you have just sealed your fate.

I've never heard so preposterous a theory. Did that come to you mid-crunch this morning? To most Thais we're simply "Farang" and that's your lot. I seriously doubt that the Thais classify us from where we live/stay...

Stupid thing to do..attacking an ATM, BUT why are these guys always hunt as pack? A bunch of cowards..that's what they are..

Because they know that a one on one fight with a bigger and heavier farang is a lost fight. This pack behaviour has deeper roots though. It also has to do with the fear of acting alone. Thai's don't like to do things alone, especially whipping someones ass. What if the farang beats the hell out of the one or two guys. Big loss of face. At least when there are 7 of them, they can be quite sure that they wont lose face. Unless the guy is a navy seal wink.png

Really? I've seen some 10 year-old boys training on muay thai at my gym who could likely whoop da ass of 90% of the farangs in Pattaya. So not fighting one on one isn't related to fear on their part but group solidarity. It's like this in most if Asia... You have a dispute or fight with someone you have it with their whole family/group/clan/school etc. Why fight alone when you can bring all your family and friends as backup? Makes sense to me.

Sounds like a bunch of cowards to me, group solidarity my ar*e. I like your numbers, are they from the trusted source of OMGItistics,, 10 year old buys beating up 90% of foreigners.. I have some more pointless statistics for you from a source as trusted as yours., in a one to one fair fight of foreigner against Thai the foreigner would "whoop da ass" of the Thai 95% of the time..,,, pathetic, has your voice broken yet?

• Like 1

So who will they be beating the sh!t out of tomorrow?

Odds of 2 to 1 they'll be over 67 years old and either German or Swiss.

Yes, these packs of hyenas will beat up or kill the next tourist, whenever they feel like.

Thing that puzzles me, we are gonna have many TV members comment that all is well, foreigner was probably rude to them.

Sent from my C6802 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I've never heard of this happening anywhere else in Thailand. I think it's part of the wider "Pattaya farang" hate syndrome that has swept across Thailand in the last few years. It used to be the "Farang kao san" that got spoken about as low class foreigners but now the focus is on those who live in or frequent Pattaya. It's understandable how this has happened when you consider the constant stream of stories involving booze, violence, hookers and foreigners that make the papers and online news sites.

Those who don't live in Pattaya and can speak Thai will understand what I'm talking about. Thai people try to figure out your class/status quickly, as is the norm in Thai society, and one question that often comes up now is "do you like Pattaya", or variations such as "have you been to Pattaya" or "did you meet your GF/wife in Pattaya" . If the answer is yes, you'll get a few friendly jokes about women thrown your way, but in terms of respect, you have just sealed your fate.

I've never heard so preposterous a theory. Did that come to you mid-crunch this morning? To most Thais we're simply "Farang" and that's your lot. I seriously doubt that the Thais classify us from where we live/stay...

Lol, indeed what a gullible but at the same time pretenious theory Kenny. Obviously you are one of those farangs who are trying their best to be accepted by their Thai surroundings and in the process have let go of their own identity. The kind of guy that wont return a smile in Tesco's because you don't want to be associated with any other 'bad' farangs. Very sad. Time for an attitude check buddy

No they are sick of foolish foreigners acting like goats in there country. The verbal warning was to stop smashing up a machine and to behave.

Don't be so sure you won't be their next target, attacked and severely beaten.

These guys dont need a reason. One day you cross some local guys, coming down from yaba trip, they feel you looked at them the wrong way, and they reach for their steel bars.

Then after your time in hospital, if lucky, you will read comments on TV, how you desrved the beating.

• Like 2

...but considering the quality of the average farang in Pattaya, more likely he was using a stolen or forged card and the machine confiscated it and he got pissed as the jig was up.

So you think a guy who uses a cloned atm card, draws attention to himself, by slamming and kicking the ATM, after the machine doesn't return the cloned, or stolen card? You don't really believe that, do you?

Why are you defending these 7 men, who were using steel bars to severely beat up an unarmed tourist?

You are not this dumb, I KNOW you aren't.

• Like 2

To most Thais we're simply "Farang" and that's your lot. I seriously doubt that the Thais classify us from where we live/stay...

The sex workers, I mean our girlfriends, boyfriends, do classify us.

They have little use for retired expat, living on $1200 social security check. That guy knows the game, he wouldn't fall for some sad story involving dead buffalo.

Newcomers with a nice Swiss watch, and just purchased 5 mil Jomtien condo is different story. They care very much for that type of foreigner.

A fair fight is a rather quaint idea round these parts that has never really caught on. Winner takes all is much more popular.

You're quite right. But this seems to be common in parts of Asia: several on one. I'm sure this partly has historical roots (for example, in how single combat was glorified in Western Europe and even Japan, ideas of chivalry, etc.) But the notion of a 'fair fight' is not always cut and dried. Certainly, 7 on 1 is unequivocally unfair, especially when those 7 have weapons. But a Thai would probably not see as 'fair' a pair-up between a 180lb 5'10" guy and a 130lb 5'7" guy (typical of farang and thai). [Not surprising, then, that they feel the need to call on their buddies]. Then you get into differences such as whether kicking, etc., is 'acceptable' (it would be for many Asians but not for a lot of Westerners). So really, the notion of a 'fair fight' doesn't translate well at all across cultures.

Some times one can find an intelligent post on TV biggrin.png