PDRC claims 6 million people in Bangkok turn out to protest yesterday

webfact

PDRC claims 6 million people in Bangkok turn out to protest yesterday

protest-site-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- A leader of the People’s Democratic Reform Committee (PDRC) Sathit Wongnogtoey claimed that about six million people in Bangkok showed up on the streets to support the call for the ouster of caretaker Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra yesterday.

He said that the number came from scientific calculation by a group of architects, scientists using aerial photographs from about 10 remote control planes and helicopter sending to take photographs from five main protest sites yesterday.

He said these architects with experience in urban and aerial designs offered the calculation service of the number of protesters to the PDRC to dismiss claims by the Center for the Administration of Peace and Order (CAPO) which always underestimated the strength of anti-government supporters, as well as the National Security Council (NSC) which distorted facts.

Such distorted facts by the two government agencies were reported to the caretaker prime minister and as a consequence made her to make wrong decision, Sathit said.

He said that these architects have advised the PDRC to hold demonstrations at five significant commercial and financial areas of the capital so as to facilitate the aerial photographs of the mini helicopter and planes.

This was the reason why the PDRC held rallies at these five important areas on Sunday’s mass demonstration.

Calculation from these architects based on scientific and mathematic survey late last night showed more than one million people showed up each at Rajaprasong, Pathumwan while the Democracy Monument drew over 2 million people as occupation of the areas extended to the Thonburi side of Bangkok.

Sathit said last massive demonstration on December 9 drew about three million people, but this time it doubled, with those inside buildings and those living in the provinces were not counted.

He added that this huge number of protesters could serve as a reminder to the caretaker prime minister to listen to the voice of the people, and not only to people surrounding him and giving her wrong information.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/pdrc-claims-6-million-people-bangkok-turn-protest-yesterday/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2013-12-23

• Like 1

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If any reporters local for farang dares to report any less, they may be subjected to the same treatment (beaten up) as "Penphan Leamluang" and "Varunee Suesatsakulchai" yesterday.

And the sad part is: These 2 are women, and going back through the tapes, Suthep found no evident of them reporting any numbers (which they were accused of).

Satit (the shorties) should learn to grow up (yes literary).

Edited by Spare
  • Like 2

Doesn't really matter what the numbers were they proved their point that they can bring the center of BKK to a standstill, showing that they can do it again.

If there are no serious moves towards reform in the very near future and the election goes ahead on 2 Feb then it will happen again and it will be for a longer period next time.

Over to you Yingluck wherever you are hiding.

Longer period of time?

That should really please the residents and businesses in Bangkok don't you think?

And I'll just add... Iwas lucky enough to go to an extremely posh school in the UK, part of whose tradition was to take a school photo in the middle of <deleted> freezing Nov. every year :-). I know what 1000 people stacked together looks like ...I have 7 of the bloody pictures on my Mum's living room wall! The OP's pic realistically looks more like 8,000 people...let alone 2 million

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/e/eb/Live_aid_londres_propiedad_propia.JPG/361px-Live_aid_londres_propiedad_propia.JPG

That was officially 72,000 people. I'm sure everyone remembers that great afternoon.

Quite a mass of bodies, wouldn't you agree?

Now multiply that image by 83 - and you'll get to approx 6 million people. Put simply, the entire population of Laos would have walked around the streets of Krung Thep yesterday afternoon.

I've seen all of the photos of the demo yesterday....somehow...just somehow.....these numbers thrown around by PDRC don't seem to make much sense to me. wink.png

Just my 6,000,000 Setang's worth....

The population of BKK is 6.3 million (granted it's actually probably closer to 10 million). Are we sure they weren't just including everyone that happened to be in and around central Bangkok in these calculations?

As long as they don't go over 60 million there will always be some people to believe their "accurate and scientifically proven" numbers smile.png But to me they look everyday more foolish smile.png

It could be over 60 million. Have you forgotten to count the Farangs?

Wow, calculations by "architect scientists with experience in urban and aerial designs". Of course it must be accurate and all that...

Do they realize just how much 6 million people really is...??

A person standing takes up roughly 1 square meter. So for one location, 2 million people, that would be 2 square kilometers if packed shoulder to shoulder.

• Like 1

Doesn't really matter what the numbers were they proved their point that they can bring the center of BKK to a standstill, showing that they can do it again.

If there are no serious moves towards reform in the very near future and the election goes ahead on 2 Feb then it will happen again and it will be for a longer period next time.

Over to you Yingluck wherever you are hiding.

The numbers quoted are not reliable nor even close. It would have been physically impossible to fit all of those people in the protest zones.

The only numbers that count will be at the ballot box.

lol some of you guys really craic me up

You are right when you mention just the protest Zones but you must also consider all access roads and areas around these zones were rammed with people as far as the eye could see, also consider that these numbers reflect only those that made it to Bangkok - there were also protest in other cities, you could be looking at a total country wide count of as much as 20 million - now that is one protest that any government should be taking notice and not ignoring their demands - I noticed Yingluc was staying close to the Northern Border

Does it really matter if it was 4 million or 6 million 20 million - it was a massive show of people power and is still falling on deaf ears

Quantitative area counting from the air is not new and is considered accurate

• Like 2