Have to leave los. What is the lowest amount I can live in Cambodia?

abrokefarang

One poster said that in some northern Thai provinces, they issue health insurance cards for Farangs.. Any idea how to research which ones do? I am also on a pretty tight budget, and due to a couple health issues, health care (especially two prescription medications) is quite expensive for me, out of pocket/

I live in Chiang Mai and have the health card for a public hospital. I told a friend and they went to apply, with my missus as translator, but the scheme has been stopped and will not be restarted next year. This card was only available for about 2 months. I have no further information so there is no point in asking any questions.

That is what my understanding was but I was told one hospital in Chiang Mai area issued one last week. I do admit the source was not the most reliable one out there.

It's not much better in the usa these days(same as being in prison).

If you are poor then wherever you live is going to be like living in prison

The Cost of Living in Isaan.

The Prophet Mohammad was once supposed to say. Life is a prison for the faithful.

I would support that, however, money can make prison life more comfortable.

I have fallen into financial hard times. I was fairly wealthy when I first came to Thai and did not need a budget for living in a village in Isaan.

However since that conversation has now changed, I am told by my doxy, we, that is, me myself, her, our 5 year old daughter, her 9 yr old son

can live, in our house, in the village for about $120 AUD to $150 AUD per week, including school fees. Or $600 AUD/ mnth.

That includes her father's medical bills, which I have supported for 6 years.

Judging by the other posts here. That looks about right across the board and cheaper than Cambodia. Not only that, the general environment in Cambodia may not be as suited to budgeted living. Having said that. Where there's a will there's a way.

Depending on a whole heap of circumstances, living in a village in Isaan can be OK, at least for me, for up to 3 months at a time.

See also this thread http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/691415-what-is-a-realistic-expectation-of-cost-of-living-in-cambodia/

All things taken into account, cost of living in Cambodia is no lower than in Thailand. Yes, you could survive on $500 a month if you settle in a small town...but same is true in Thailand. And the creature comforts in rural areas are better than in Cambodia.

And what on earth will you do if you get seriously ill or have an accident? Cost of medical care is very high in Cambodia and quality very poor.

Your best bet is to settle in upcountry Thailand in a province where the government hospitals are issuing health insurance cards to farangs (some do, some don't).

"Yes, you could survive on $500 a month if you settle in a small town...but same is true in Thailand. "

I have very little savings but a small income

But staying in Thailand on what type of visa/extension?

Doesn't sound like he qualifies for any long-stay permission-to-stay. If he needs to make monthly border crossings, that's not a very secure arrangement and would add to his expenses.

And travelling from the US isn't going to be cheap, especially if he needs to buy a return/round-trip air ticket to gain entry to Thailand and set aside some money for a return flight if things go pear-shaped in future and his original ticket has expired.

Edited by Suradit69

Can rent a small room in Siem reap for $20 pcm, with bed of sorts. Food out from 3000r including water or tea.rice from 2000r per kg. Electric minimal cos only have 1 power point and 2light, have bathroom of sorts. Better than sleeping rough. No contract. Ladies from $5 but cannot be too choosy, $20 for KTV girl. Internet $5 pcm via smart. Doable but have to live like a local.

One poster said that in some northern Thai provinces, they issue health insurance cards for Farangs.. Any idea how to research which ones do? I am also on a pretty tight budget, and due to a couple health issues, health care (especially two prescription medications) is quite expensive for me, out of pocket/

I live in Chiang Mai and have the health card for a public hospital. I told a friend and they went to apply, with my missus as translator, but the scheme has been stopped and will not be restarted next year. This card was only available for about 2 months. I have no further information so there is no point in asking any questions.

That is what my understanding was but I was told one hospital in Chiang Mai area issued one last week. I do admit the source was not the most reliable one out there.

Some hospitals do, some don't. CM was doing it and then was told by the central MoPH not to as the scheme is intended for migrants. What happened is that the directive that went out just said "foreigner" and did not specify migrants. Different hospitals have interpreted it differently but odds are that those that do issue them will stop once the central level finds out.

Longer term a scheme aimed at resident farang is expected but don't know when nor the cost.

• Like 1