1KM fence to keep people and dogs out

canopy

Well I hope there are some folks here with suggestions. I would like to make a border fence to keep dogs and people out of a forested type area comprised mainly of various fruit trees and bamboo.

As far as fence material, barbed wire does not seem good enough to keep people from bending opening a segment so I would like other alternatives.

As far as posts, the fence will be very close to mature teak trees so I think that rules out concrete posts because of the impracticality of digging holes where there are big roots. I was wondering if something simple like this pic could work, though 2M tall. And are there by chance any way to use trees as the posts in a way that doesn't harm the tree or leave embedded steel in them? Looking for any ideas at all.

post-63956-0-84498900-1388019486_thumb.j

1 Km? Haha. That will come with a hefty price tag. If you can wait 2 years, bougainvillea planted at 1 metre spacing will keep anything out. 25,000 baht.

Or there's tiger shit for the 4 legged dogs, (regular supplies at more places than you'd think) and "Danger, Land Mines" signs for the 2 legged variety. smile.png

On a more serious note, "As far as fence material, barbed wire does not seem good enough to keep people from bending opening a segment so I would like other alternatives."

If you are that concerned, then an electrified deer fence going 30 cms underground should do the job.

Regards.

• Like 1

IMO chain-link would be the way to go, if there is a tree in the way you can easily change direction and go around the tree or if there are roots you can move the post, the posts don't ready have to be spaced evenly, though it looks better if they are .

At the TD forum in the construction section, in a thread about land development, I see some one using roofing steel welded together for the Posts and rails,and chain-link hung on it, It looked nice and strong.

Though 1KM would be a costly proposition

Edited by sirineou

1 KM is a long way I was thinking like TT eletric fence ,that is if you have power near by ,a deer type fence will need at least 4to 7 strands of wire, ordinary galvanize wire will do ,then you will need some strainer's to get the wire tight,the ratchet type are good ,used them in the uk ,but allmost unherd of over here ,metal posts second hand pipe from a scrap yard about 20-25 bart/kg.

But you will need some powerfull fencer unit can you get one here?+insulators.

Or a chain link fence + post ,again 2 inch metal post with a point on knocked in to the ground, back of a fag packet, 1000 meaters, post every 4 meters, 2 meters high 1/2 meter in the ground, about 620 meaters of pipe @20 bart /kg 15000bart+ on posts alone ,(should go though or around tree roots).

+ 1 km of chain link + labour, as TT said it will cost an arm and a leg. Any wooden posts will rot out within a year.

I use to do a lot of fencing in the uk it will not be easy or cheap.

As RBH said you will not stop people getting in.

Go for the hedge.

I tried bougainvillea at 1.5M spacing on one such border. Below are pictures after planting and how it progressed two years later. Clearly it is yet to be an effective screen. I just planted it early in the rainy season with minimal care. Maybe with more care it would have performed better.

post-63956-0-55474200-1388197072_thumb.j

post-63956-0-58466100-1388197096_thumb.j

I like the goat fence approach. I think that would keep people going through it more than barb wire strands. And with an arm at the top outward with a barbed wire strand would keep most from climbing over. But I haven't found these sorts of things sold in stores nor steel posts that can be driven.

• Like 1

I know that you 'shouldn't' bang nails into trees but in the tropics the trees, so habituated to insect attacks as they are, don't seem to mind, you see horrible examples of this lack of respect for trees all over Thailand. We have fence posts 15 years old along our boundary, they are beginning to look unsightly but they still do their job, a matter of which wood you use obviously. I am going for a 600 meter fencing job soon, we now have quite a few dogs to keep in as well as out (bipeds). Concrete posts 180 cm high, 180cm apart, concreted in to give a fence 145cm high. I hate barbed wire but I will probably be using that in strands, not tensioned tightly (apart from the lowest one so as to keep it away from the brush cutter) as that just makes it easier to climb over.

I have the option of doing this work in stages so I won't be spending all my money at once. Just as well as I have no idea what the posts will cost yet.

Cooked

I brought some concrete post ,with a foot on 120 bart each this was 2 year ago,and they where crap 2 snapped ,inside there where

4 strands of thin wire for reinforcing ok for ordinany posts but not for weight bearing like fencing,had to put a leaner post to take the weight to strain the wire.(like OP's photo)

So look for posts that cost more ,allso mine where newly made, concrete not yet matured.

In the end I used steel posts angle iron cut a point knocked in to the ground,second hand steel cost about the same as a conreat post.

For OP I have never seen steel posts sold that can be driven, not to difficult to make, some angal iron or round galvanized pipe would do,like an arm for a post weld one one to a post, cut a slot to take the wire.

Yours Regs

KS

People will steal the steel posts.

then there are bolt cutterz for the wire....if they want it, they will come

Not if the posts are concreted in as they should be. Correctly rigged, wire will only be stealable in short lengths. Stay positive and do it!

Sent from my GT-S7500 using Tapatalk 2

• Like 1

Stay green and "hedge it" smile.png

Regards.

I agree but a Bougainvillea hedge, the only viable option I think (impenetrable) takes up a lot of space. It also has to be pruned back more than once or twice a year and you have to leave space to be able to clean up on the neighbours' side.

I agree but a Bougainvillea hedge, the only viable option I think (impenetrable) takes up a lot of space. It also has to be pruned back more than once or twice a year and you have to leave space to be able to clean up on the neighbours' side.

'Ya forgot the saving 200,000 Baht bit....smile.png

Regards.

• Like 1

Theft of the fence is no worry to me. I get the feeling I am the only one in Thailand using surveillance cameras. Anytime someone goes in my land I get a picture of them on my phone instantly from hidden cameras. If someone were to try to haul off an entire fence they will be greeted by the police within minutes anytime day or night. To my surprise trespassers are neighbors I know and seem nice enough. I find them, ideally in a place that others are around to watch the spectacle unfold. I ask simple questions did you take such and such from my land? Answer is always no. So yesterday at 8am were you ever on my land? Answer is always no because I have no trespassing signs specifically so they can't weasel out with a "i didn't know". Then I pull out an 8x10 photo I developed of them on my land carrying the contraband and ask them to identify who that might be and ask the other people to have a look to get their opinion. Priceless moment. Every time I bust someone they don't come back but it makes an enemy. With a fence I think I can put an end to petty theft from these "nice" neighbors and deal with ardent trespassers severely.

I do like the hedge approach but don't know what it would take in my cool mountain climate conditions to get such a beauty of a barrier like teletiger's photo on such a long area. So I will probably end up doing both. A good physical fence first and let a hedge develop second. I like making fences 2 meters inside the property lines so I can access it from both sides.

I really wish there was a big fence outlet somewhere with goat fences, steel posts, and fittings. Another option I guess is that sort of thing is cheap to import in bulk from China but I would have a lot left over.

That is beautiful barrier.

How long does it take to grow like that?

And how much per meter for the plants?

This particular one was 6 years old, but it was like this at 4 years. Fed and watered, it will be an effective hedge after 2 years. They are treated just as a normal Box or Yew hedge. Cut them with hedge trimmers, shape them....etc. They can be cut right back to ground level.

Once they become established they are also drought-proof. To reproduce them just cut off a thumb thick flowerless stem and plant it.

The cost depends on what size plants you want to start with. 30/40 cm plants should cost 25/40 Baht. Planting space is 1 metre.

One can also do it for free. Just a bit of work to cut the stems and pop them in, (Plenty of wild stands in Thailand)smile.png

Regards.

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

Just wanted to give this one last bump in case anyone has any other ideas. I could always make a landscape bar to cut tree roots and sink regular concrete posts. I am still stumped on what would be the most appropriate fencing material and where to find it.

What's your budget? There are a couple of good ideas in this thread already, at opposite ends of the budget spectrum. It's been 6 months since you started the thread; your lovely bougainvillea could be well on its way by now. Alternatively, the example of the wire fence is nice, and could have been built already.

Personally, I'd build it myself (hire labour and supervise). I would use steel posts, 2" dia. and I would use wire mesh that they use for cement work. The stuff is 800 baht for a 50 meter roll. I'd spray it first with primer and paint while it was still rolled and touch it up later if required. You could have a decent fence that looked similar to the one shown in this thread for a fraction of the price.

Cheers.

No budget it mind; just considering all options. Longevity is important however.

You may have missed the post of my bougainvillea fence experiment which did not fully spread out after several years. And by the way your suggestion of planting at the beginning of the dry season is generally not recommended. Most feel it is best to plant early in the wet season. Regardless I do not wish to rely solely on bougainvillea. I could add it later to beautify a fence though.

Simply painting steel I question the longevity. Things rust out here really quickly and will be outside fully bearing the elements every day and will experience bending and racking that could take paint off. I'd hate to go to the trouble of an entire kilometer of fencing only to watch it rust out quickly. Repainting would be a lot of trouble having to knock down all the weeds and dirt splashed an entire kilometer long. I notice in other countries people often use hot dipped galvanized for fencing. I haven't found a supplier of anything like that here.

No budget it mind; just considering all options. Longevity is important however.

You may have missed the post of my bougainvillea fence experiment which did not fully spread out after several years. And by the way your suggestion of planting at the beginning of the dry season is generally not recommended. Most feel it is best to plant early in the wet season. Regardless I do not wish to rely solely on bougainvillea. I could add it later to beautify a fence though.

Simply painting steel I question the longevity. Things rust out here really quickly and will be outside fully bearing the elements every day and will experience bending and racking that could take paint off. I'd hate to go to the trouble of an entire kilometer of fencing only to watch it rust out quickly. Repainting would be a lot of trouble having to knock down all the weeds and dirt splashed an entire kilometer long. I notice in other countries people often use hot dipped galvanized for fencing. I haven't found a supplier of anything like that here.

I guess you are right, that would be planting at the beginning of the dry season. Me and my smart mouth.

hi all i know my isnt a kilometer long,

but what we did we put the better and bigger size posts inthey come in 2 different sizes, then we put on 8 stands of barbed wire, to this you may say its daft, bare with me,,,lol,

we atached to this that white plastic netting, the reason being it keeps snakes out, the reason i know and i only found out by mistake was i saw one stuck in it they get there head through and get stuck, and before anyone says im cruel, i dont give a sh$t ive lost 3 dogs and im not going to bloody loose my daugter to a snake bite,

anyway after the plastic mesh at the bottom ive got corrigated tin, and in front im planting the beautful flowers to hide it all,,

its not a very good pic but its the only one ive got on my work pc, ignore the fat bloke on his toy,,lol

jake

ps edit to add pic,,, i forgto,,lol

post-32351-0-27241400-1401024360_thumb.j

Edited by pigeonjake
  • Like 1

hi all i know my isnt a kilometer long,

but what we did we put the better and bigger size posts inthey come in 2 different sizes, then we put on 8 stands of barbed wire, to this you may say its daft, bare with me,,,lol,

we atached to this that white plastic netting, the reason being it keeps snakes out, the reason i know and i only found out by mistake was i saw one stuck in it they get there head through and get stuck, and before anyone says im cruel, i dont give a sh$t ive lost 3 dogs and im not going to bloody loose my daugter to a snake bite,

anyway after the plastic mesh at the bottom ive got corrigated tin, and in front im planting the beautful flowers to hide it all,,

its not a very good pic but its the only one ive got on my work pc, ignore the fat bloke on his toy,,lol

jake

ps edit to add pic,,, i forgto,,lol

This looks very similar to a portion of our fence, only ours is 15 years old and really does look very, very bad, even though we have planted stuff in front of it. On the side of the property where I can't plant Bougainvillea, I have been thinking about getting some massive rebar, maybe 25 mm, and using that as fence posts, concreting in and welding on diagonals every 15 metres. Never saw this done anywhere, but even in the tropics this has to last longer than wooden posts. Whatever material is being used, you must put in diagonals every 15 metres.

• Like 1

what we did and you cant see it on that picture, is every i think it was 10th post i put diaganals concreated into the ground of that post, and they are on my first one of course, so you can pull against it to tighten wire, and on the corner posts, ill take some pics when i get home,,

jake

I'll take the opposite view on Bougainvillea. I hate the stuff. Teletiger's hedge is beautiful, but it is on open ground. Bougainvillea will grow as a bush or small shrub and be relatively well behaved if it is routinely trimmed. But, it is by nature a climbing vine. My next door neighbor trained some into a 20 meter tree, and before you knew it, the stuff was growing out of the top of the tree and shedding branches the size of my forearm. My wife put it in the jungle in the backyard and in places it is 10-15 meters tall. I take it down when i can get to it, but it always manages to put some holes in me.

Put a wire straight into the electric point on the house.Just the possitive.Sit back and wait for the bbq smell.Anything else is useless waste of money.

After 1 is bbqed they wont tell tumluat through embarrassment.Word will get arround the rest will be too scared

Sent from my SM-T315T using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

i did something similar a few years ago,

with being an old lincolnshire poacher, i noticed tracks coming alonmg some grass to our fence,

i said to my wife some ones coming there to fish our pond, i i got some fishing line and hooks, tied them into the trees hanging down at head hight for a thai,

also knocked nails throgh through wood and laid them in the grass,

THEN told my wife ring pui, the local gossip to come and look at the new pigs, as she sometimes bought the odd couple of us,

so she comes, has a look at the pigs, so i say tell her to came and look at my traps,, she comes, i can see it in her face, bloody hell hes mad,!!

i told her there is other things around our farm to, traps ect,,

well i never saw another track coming near our land again,,,lol

and i did take the things away,,,lol

jake

• Like 1

Just a thought folks

but what about using bamboo?

I mean using the plant itself,if planted at the right distance apart man nor beast would be able to penetrate it.

The added bonus is that you would be making good use of the land .Bamboo has so many practical uses and is used widely in Thailand so I am

sure that you would have no problem selling mature poles,heck you could even use them as trade to get someone to regularly maintain the fence.

I think that a bamboo fence over a distance of 1 Km would certainly pays for itself 10 fold,not to mention the young bamboo shoots that could be

used for food and the surplus sold.

Just trying to think out of the box

Shaggy