EC asks Thai govt to postpone Feb 2 election

webfact

Correction: The slate is wiped clean of all unfinished bills when a new government takes over. Since the 'blanket' amnesty bill had not passed into law before the Parliament was dissolved, it is now defunct. Any new Thaksin government will have to start from 'scratch' to pass any new Thaksin whitewash bill.

The amnesty bill is NOT dead and can be revived after 180 days. Just so we're clear on this.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Correction: The slate is wiped clean of all unfinished bills when a new government takes over. Since the 'blanket' amnesty bill had not passed into law before the Parliament was dissolved, it is now defunct. Any new Thaksin government will have to start from 'scratch' to pass any new Thaksin whitewash bill.

The amnesty bill is NOT dead and can be revived after 180 days. Just so we're clear on this.

WE are clearly in disagreement!

I won't argue this. I've checked with the experts and it's NOT dead. There are lots of threads in the news forums talking about this. Sorry, but I did some serious research on this.

So is this game, set and match to Suthep? All of his demands have been met, after a short but desperate struggle by the government to resist, yet they capitulated every time. Yingluck will cease to be the acting PM imminently, possibly even before the day is out. The situation is very fluid and has been given a shot in the arm by the police sending 50 of the protesters to hospital with gunshot wounds.

No, the EC has an opinion. The government could say they don't agree and tell the EC to proceed with 2nd Feb.

At the same time big brother makes a few payments. And the Shin world is rosy again....

Just it might be too obvious.....

There was never much doubt the February 2nd election would be cancelled.What was less certain which coup created set of judges would be instructed to take the decision.

All the judges must be in the pocket of the elite, anti-Thaksin dictatorship side? You have some evidence of this?

Or is it another example of "the well known" facts you regularly trot out without any evidence?

• Like 1

So is this game, set and match to Suthep? All of his demands have been met, after a short but desperate struggle by the government to resist, yet they capitulated every time. Yingluck will cease to be the acting PM imminently, possibly even before the day is out. The situation is very fluid and has been given a shot in the arm by the police sending 50 of the protesters to hospital with gunshot wounds.

No, the EC has an opinion. The government could say they don't agree and tell the EC to proceed with 2nd Feb.

At the same time big brother makes a few payments. And the Shin world is rosy again....

There was never much doubt the February 2nd election would be cancelled.What was less certain which coup created set of judges would be instructed to take the decision.

All the judges must be in the pocket of the elite, anti-Thaksin dictatorship side? You have some evidence of this?

Or is it another example of "the well known" facts you regularly trot out without any evidence?

I never said all judges - even politicised decisions often have split votes.

But the deployment of the courts by the old establishment (especially after the failure of the military coup, general election routes) is not in doubt.

http://www.asiasentinel.com/politics/thailand-judiciary-politicized/

The last sentence baffles me. Who is "big brother" supposed to make payments to? The people behind the protests are the people he froze out in favor of other families and monarchist fanatics who fear the succession. They want to regain control of the Kingdom. I'm quite certain he would have paid them off before now if he could. Therefore it is not an option. So what point are you trying to make?

I won't argue this. I've checked with the experts and it's NOT dead. There are lots of threads in the news forums talking about this. Sorry, but I did some serious research on this.

I've been following this particular issue most closely and my recollection is different. If I knew how to use the search functions on this site, I would. Since you already did the research, why not share the links?

I've been following this particular issue most closely and my recollection is different. If I knew how to use the search functions on this site, I would. Since you already did the research, why not share the links?

I just asked our staff this question. They told me the answer, so I reported it. I'll work on getting a link, but for now, since these guys are truly experts in this, I'll believe what they say.

If you can find a post indicating otherwise, please let me know!!!

wai2.gif

The point here is, that Thaksin probably has connections within the EC and bribed them: "I give you money, and you will delay elections and re-introduce my amnesty bill by the end of July, deal???"

whistling.gifwhistling.gifwhistling.gifwhistling.gifwhistling.gif

WHAT? THe EC is recomminding INDEFINITE postponement of elections. Is that what Thaksin wants?

I just asked our staff this question. They told me the answer, so I reported it. I'll work on getting a link, but for now, since these guys are truly experts in this, I'll believe what they say.

If you can find a post indicating otherwise, please let me know!!!

wai2.gif

Thank you. A link or two would be most appreciated. All my life I have scored exceedingly well on reading comprehension and retention tests. Since this is such an important point, I shall go back to postings Nov. 11 and after to find the story(ies) I formed my (ppossibly erroneous) view. U think I got my information from an 'overview' box published in the English language daily that shall not be quoted nor linked to.

The government has not agreed to anything yet. This is just the EC. Whom they can ignore just like they have other court orders/decisions. Right?

But it is kinda funny. Both the EC and the government have been insisting there's no way to postpone the elections. It will be interesting to see what happens now.

The point here is, that Thaksin probably has connections within the EC and bribed them: "I give you money, and you will delay elections and re-introduce my amnesty bill by the end of July, deal???"

whistling.gifwhistling.gifwhistling.gifwhistling.gifwhistling.gif

QED