Question about oil

dogpoo

Before I took my NC700 from the dealer I asked them about the oil used etc, they told me they use fully synthetic which of course is very expensive, is it necessary to use this oil in this bike? Don't mind paying for the oil but is it neccasary, I normally have the oil changed on bikes after a couple of thousand Kms so maybe a less expensive oil can be used instead.

I doubt there is syntetic in already usually if going for syntetic you put it after some 1k kms. Unless you don't race and squeeze out the max out of your bike there is no need for syntetic. Its highly overrated and normally for racing purpose only. Well ppl who love their bikes or others who just want to be cool are using syntetic even they are not racing.

• Like 1

I can only say what the dealer told me, if they are using synthetic it can't be a bad thing or can it, I will get the oil and filter changed at 1k, I will get them to use normal oil after this, I will change the oil every 3k thereafter, I don't thrash bikes!

It's being kept under 3000rpm for the first 500kms then under 4000rpm for the next 500kms.

Edited by dogpoo

semi or full synthetic both fine.

but with synthetic oil engine runs smoother and if you ask me better during high operation temps and high revs. also extends engine life.

but use semi synthetic until 6 k and than switch to full synthetic oil.

still, using semi synthetic is OK is money is important for you than your bike.

semi or full synthetic both fine.

but with synthetic oil engine runs smoother and if you ask me better during high operation temps and high revs. also extends engine life.

but use semi synthetic until 6 k and than switch to full synthetic oil.

still, using semi synthetic is OK is money is important for you than your bike.

Money is not the problem, I just want to know what the situation is with the oil, I have no problem using the synthetic if that is the best thing to use, I have always thought if you change the oil frequently you can get away with less expensive oil, on the Forza I changed the oil every 2000kms

I reckon the Honda engineering dept have already asked a bunch of riders what oil they prefer....and gone with that recommendation! In the old days they all would have said Castrol!

I'll stick with what they say they know 100% more than I do, must say I was impressed with Bigwing service, did a great job fitting my 12v and other accessories.

As expensive as it seems the service for synthetic oil opposed to non synthetic We are only talking 3 Macdonalds sets for a motorcycle. I still drain mine before the next due service, But I also only use (Now) 95 benzine fuel for my ER I can notice a difference in when the reg-synthetic gets older the non synthetic gets slower or seems more sluggish whereas the Synthetic seems to just make it run smoother if anything at the end of its life cycle.If Honda suggests it I would use it. I know Kawasaki is required for warranty servicing till the warranty service is done. But It is up to you how you go on it.

I wouldn't have that in from the start.

Change oil and filter after 100km.

Again at 1000km.

Next service (6000km?) start using synthetic oil.

Yes from what I have read it seems universally believed that using synthetic during break in will not allow to engine to break in properly. After that it's a good idea.

I can only say what the dealer told me, if they are using synthetic it can't be a bad thing or can it, I will get the oil and filter changed at 1k, I will get them to use normal oil after this, I will change the oil every 3k thereafter, I don't thrash bikes! It's being kept under 3000rpm for the first 500kms then under 4000rpm for the next 500kms.

Synth Oil typically halts the break-in process, which is why it is generally not recommended until after break-in has been completed.

Early oil and filter change (100km) is recommended to get rid of any tiny shavings and fragments that may be in the new engine. The earlier the better. 100km is often seen as a good yardstick.

Modern engines are far easier than in the previous decades, with less work and maintenance needed. But still the most general advice is:

Non-Synth oil from start.

Oil and Filter Change at 100km.

Oil and Filter change at 1000km.

Oil and filter change, changing to Synth Oil, at 6,000km.

I always change oil midway through a service schedule anyway. If 6000km I change every 3000km. Oil is cheap and is the lifeblood of the engine.

Edited by 1ma
  • Like 1

This the reply from Bigwing regarding the oil.

There are many different point of view being discussed in the internet and magazines about this subject.

However, we are confident that fully-synthetic oil are much better than semi-synthetic oil for 2 main reasons:

1. Fully-synthetic oil can withstand high temperature much better, which mean low evaporation rate.

2. Semi-synthetic oil, when exposed to high temperature, will reduce in its viciousity, which means higher rate of wear and tear in the engine.

Nevertheless, you can still opt to use semi-synthetic oil if you wish

Warm Regards,

Honda BigWing Phuket

1. Fully-synthetic oil can withstand high temperature much better, which mean low evaporation rate.

Interesting, as I remember seeing reports of the CB500F (I think) where owners said that half the oil was gone after less than 2000km.

Anyone else remember seeing those reports?

Edit:

Yes, type this into google: "gt-rider.com cb500 oil leak". Open the first link.

Edited by 1ma

^ Because they actually sent you one. :rolleyes:

Ah I see, they are good they respond quickly everytime! I'm going to keep running in the bike with the oil they have used, there are different opinions about the use of this oil from new, I assume all there bikes have this in from new!

Edited by dogpoo
  • Like 1

I have watched a few you tube videos on the subject of synthetic oil versus conventional oil, I now understand that it is best to avoid synthetic oil in a new engine, I am wondering if the dealer has taken it upon himself to use synthetic oil or is this a recommendation from Honda technical department, the manual does not say to use oil other than normal oil, will this effect the warranty should there be a problem down the line, I have the dealers email saying they are using synthetic oil so obviously have proof should there be a problem, do they use this oil in all there new bikes, do people ask the question about oil, probably most people do not know that synthetic oil is being used, wish I had never asked the question now, not worried but slightly concerned!!

You have to be careful when dealing with Thai people, they get easily offended and won't communicate with you any longer, had this problem with a tall screen from a Bangkok accessory shop, the screen was crap, I complained, they will no longer answer any mail!!

Yes, you have to treat them very delicately, like a very spoiled and angry 5 year old that also has a weapon trained on your gonnads. They cannot handle any sort of perceived criticism or advise without freaking out, no matter how wrong they are.

The oil in it came from the factory, not the dealer. Perhaps after the 1000km service order a oil filter online or through another shop, and then get a local bike shop to change the oil and filter while you're there, putting in non-Synth oil. Then you will have 5000km of non-Synth oil before the 6k km service, at which point using Synth is advised.

Edited by 1ma

Cheers, they have said I can change to part synthetic oil if I so wish, I think I will go with this option at the 1000km service, I asked them to change the filter at this first service and they agreed it would be done, I will go back to full synthetic at the 6k service!! But I will change the oil at 3000kms as well!

Edited by dogpoo

Yes, you have to treat them very delicately, like a very spoiled and angry 5 year old that also has a weapon trained on your gonnads. They cannot handle any sort of perceived criticism or advise without freaking out, no matter how wrong they are.

The oil in it came from the factory, not the dealer. Perhaps after the 1000km service order a oil filter online or through another shop, and then get a local bike shop to change the oil and filter while you're there, putting in non-Synth oil. Then you will have 5000km of non-Synth oil before the 6k km service, at which point using Synth is advised.

Why would the factory use synthetic oil when the owners manual does not state to use it?

Cheers, they have said I can change to part synthetic oil if I so wish, I think I will go with this option at the 1000km service, I asked them to change the filter at this first service and they agreed it would be done, I will go back to full synthetic at the 6k service!! But I will change the oil at 3000kms as well!

No need for 3000 km oil change intervals.

Stick to manual on it. Nc700x is not a high revving bike and you always say you will not be pushing the bike so no problems.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app