dowery?

davetrout

If you pay nothing, as people are saying, then you are showing a complete disregard for your gf's and her parents feelings. Face is such a huge importance in Thailand and if you do not follow the old tradition of paying sinsot then they will lose face in their village or town.

My suggestion is to arrange with the family to pay an agreed amount (say 100,000) so they can display this on the day and then they return it afterwards. This system is often used and everyone is happy.

HL

This is a good idea on paper but would you really want to be involved with in-laws that havnt even got 100k of their own they could use.

Sent from my ST27a using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe it's just me......

I did not pay a dowry

I did not remodel the in laws house

I did not buy them a vehicle

And....I won't either!

I am not a lottery ticket and I am not a bank...Sorry, marrying me was not a career move!

I make my money....They can do the same!

Some people never get it......And then they spend countless hours complaining about how they lost it all to a Thai woman....If you're really that foolish, you deserve to be taken for a ride!

i

I like to help family whether in the UK or Thailand. This year my best friend (in the UK) fell on hard times and I helped him out financially. I am know ones idiot, and I would not be destitute just because I built the in laws a house, paid for a cancer operation for an uncle or helped my wife's niece through school by paying for English lessons. My family and friends are important to me and I like to help out if I can. I am not "showing off" but I have just hit 40 and have paid for my house in the UK, have a significant property portfolio and investments in the UK and abroad and drive a nice car. I understand it if people can not do this, but do not understand the aggressive stance in some people.

Mr Dudley I'm not

• Like 2

Maybe it's just me......

I did not pay a dowry

And....I won't either!

I am not a lottery ticket and I am not a bank...Sorry, marrying me was not a career move!

Some people never get it......And then they spend countless hours complaining about how they lost it all to a Thai woman....If you're really that foolish, you deserve to be taken for a ride!

i

I like to help family whether in the UK or Thailand. This year my best friend (in the UK) fell on hard times and I helped him out financially. I am know ones idiot, and I would not be destitute just because I built the in laws a house, paid for a cancer operation for an uncle or helped my wife's niece through school by paying for English lessons. My family and friends are important to me and I like to help out if I can. I am not "showing off" but I have just hit 40 and have paid for my house in the UK, have a significant property portfolio and investments in the UK and abroad and drive a nice car. I understand it if people can not do this, but do not understand the aggressive stance in some people.

Mr Dudley I'm not

but do not understand the aggressive stance in some people.

Let me explain if to you.

Its called, taking the piss.

To help you understand a bit better, I can afford to do this but dont.

Thankfully I am a farang so dont need to worry about face or status, too be perfectly frank I dont even care what they think of me.

As for the local fishwives and gossips at the local shops and markets, I really dont give a toss about you lot either, or your BS stories about your farang SIL who paid 2 million baht sin sot and sends you 75k baht per month.

As my wife says to me, she has two hands and can work, they can do the same.

Edited by rgs2001uk
  • Like 1

Maybe it's just me......

I did not pay a dowry

And....I won't either!

i

Mr Dudley I'm not

Thankfully I am a farang so dont need to worry about face or status, too be perfectly frank I dont even care what they think of me.

As for the local fishwives and gossips at the local shops and markets, I really dont give a toss about you lot either, or your BS stories about your farang SIL who paid 2 million baht sin sot and sends you 75k baht per month.

No bullshit stories from me pal.

Mr Dudley I'm not

Maybe it's just me......

I did not pay a dowry

And....I won't either!

i

Mr Dudley I'm not

Mr Dudley I'm not

Wow man do I have a sister for you! Mum and Dad need a new house, I require some top up to my Leo fund which is running low and various other In laws would love to welcome you to their projects too.

Welcome to the family, welcome 3 times.

Maybe it's just me......

I did not pay a dowry

And....I won't either!

i

Mr Dudley I'm not

Mr Dudley I'm not

Wow man do I have a sister for you! Mum and Dad need a new house, I require some top up to my Leo fund which is running low and various other In laws would love to welcome you to their projects too.

Welcome to the family, welcome 3 times.

Thanks for the offer, but I have my own projects that are doing very well thank you

Maybe it's just me......

I did not pay a dowry

And....I won't either!

i

Mr Dudley I'm not

Mr Dudley I'm not

Wasnt aimed at you, for the record I believe you.

Can only assume poor sentence structure on my part, was aimed at the local fishwives and gossips with their BS stories.

Must admit these days I just nod my head and say, lor.

PS, who or what is Mr Dudley?

Edited by rgs2001uk

Maybe it's just me......

I did not pay a dowry

And....I won't either!

i

Mr Dudley I'm not

Mr Dudley I'm not

Wasnt aimed at you, for the record I believe you.

Can only assume poor sentence structure on my part, was aimed at the local fishwives and gossips with their BS stories.

Must admit these days I just nod my head and say, lor.

PS, who or what is Mr Dudley?

A comedy in the UK called little Britain stars a thai women and her boyfriend is mr Dudley

post-43350-13900355471906_thumb.jpg

Why the aggression of some posters?

Well I get pissed off with farangs who come here, and mope around from one sob story to the next paying through the nose for prostitutes and blatant rip offs assuming this is all Thailand is about, and then act all surprised and aggrieved when they lose their money. It's at once patronising and arrogant to the millions of perfectly decent Thais who aren't part of this sad scene, and it gives fuel to the (admittedly abundant) Thais who think that is what all farangs are like.

I thought that my in-laws were getting a tiny bit above themselves in the amount requested for sin-sot. Rather than refuse or reduce the amount I decided not to make an issue of it and suggested an amount of half what was asked and said I would give my in-laws an annual allowance thereafter (at about one-tenth per annum of the sin sot foregone). Everyone was happy with that.

Looks like I will end up paying more in the long run, but I'm quite happy about that. The commutation of half meant that if everything turned to dust I would not have paid so much and would have felt less of a mug.

My in-laws have asked for not one satang more than the 'contracted' allowance in the 5 years since, so it has been a useful mechanism for capping any in-law post-wedding ATM tendency too.

Just a typical accountant's response to throw into the pot for those who are thinking of going along with the tradition. Whether you pay sinsot or not is a matter of your own personal style and nature.

Well it's obviously entirely up to you but my thoughts would be why pay the stupid sin sot in the first place, and why the hell should you be supporting her parents for ever more?

It will only ever seem like a form of bulk buying prostitution to me.

• Like 1

When I married my Thai GF of 8 years last year, I offered sin sot at the wedding & when the ceremony was finished her family handed the entire amount back to me even though her family were not rich. I had always brought small gifts for them when I visited the family home & still do. Her family only used the sin sot for show at the wedding & respected me for honouring the tradition.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I thought that my in-laws were getting a tiny bit above themselves in the amount requested for sin-sot. Rather than refuse or reduce the amount I decided not to make an issue of it and suggested an amount of half what was asked and said I would give my in-laws an annual allowance thereafter (at about one-tenth per annum of the sin sot foregone). Everyone was happy with that.

Looks like I will end up paying more in the long run, but I'm quite happy about that. The commutation of half meant that if everything turned to dust I would not have paid so much and would have felt less of a mug.

My in-laws have asked for not one satang more than the 'contracted' allowance in the 5 years since, so it has been a useful mechanism for capping any in-law post-wedding ATM tendency too.

Just a typical accountant's response to throw into the pot for those who are thinking of going along with the tradition. Whether you pay sinsot or not is a matter of your own personal style and nature.

So your wife is a contract. Do you put her in the draw for safe keeping and let her out once in a while? What are the clauses in the contract?

First time I have heard it being called a contract.

So your wife is a contract. Do you put her in the draw for safe keeping and let her out once in a while? What are the clauses in the contract?

I think it is very much viewed as a contract especially here in LOS. I do not see that as a bad thing, unless (like any contract) , the parties involved do not fully understand it's implications.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I think it is very much viewed as a contract especially here in LOS. I do not see that as a bad thing, unless (like any contract) , the parties involved do not fully understand it's implications.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Sorry, off topic & lack the abbreviated knowledge here but what does LOS in Thailand stand for?

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

• 1 month later...

l have been with my girl 4 years now. she want to marry. we have a baby boy 4 months old now. l love her very much. how much should l pay for marry her and give to parents. she stay home with family in isann.

god help me

Yes Dave, you are into the glue.

Your sinsot is not necessary because your couple hood is time tested and your love for her and your baby is evident.

The poor women is just being badgered by her family to squeeze some more money out of you.

You have to man up NOW

They will never stop nagging her, yapping about some other gal of their acquaintance who has shown her love for family by blackmailing the farang husband.

They will also be asking her who she thinks will take care of her in her old age.

They will mix examples from both cultures to make their point.

Ad nauseam.

Get her to tell them to get lost.

Unhappy in life?? poor input to the OP. Though the parents want the money from the OP, it's their tradition to get sinsod form a man marrying their daughter. FIY: even the previously married woman, to remarry there is also sinsod involve, a lot less of course. The Thais always pay sinsod as it's part of their culture I see only the cheap Charlie farang trying to get away with it? Who shall get lost?

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

l have been with my girl 4 years now. she want to marry. we have a baby boy 4 months old now. l love her very much. how much should l pay for marry her and give to parents. she stay home with family in isann.

god help me

Your sinsot is not necessary because your couple hood is time tested and your love for her and your baby is evident.

The poor women is just being badgered by her family to squeeze some more money out of you.

You have to man up NOW

They will never stop nagging her, yapping about some other gal of their acquaintance who has shown her love for family by blackmailing the farang husband.

They will also be asking her who she thinks will take care of her in her old age.

Ad nauseam.

Unhappy in life?? poor input to the OP. Though the parents want the money from the OP, it's their tradition to get sinsod form a man marrying their daughter. FIY: even the previously married woman, to remarry there is also sinsod involve, a lot less of course. The Thais always pay sinsod as it's part of their culture I see only the cheap Charlie farang trying to get away with it? Who shall get lost?

Sinsod, these days, has more of a symbolic value. Meaning, that of whatever the Sinsod consists of, it will be returned after marriage. AND: If wife was married previously, no Thai-Man would consider paying Sinsod in the first place.

Before marriage, OP should poke around a little in order to find out if a Sinsod would be returned after marriage. If not, above comment/assessment by "davetrout" would probably hit very close to home.

Cheers.

god help me

You have to man up NOW

Ad nauseam.

Bugger me! You will be giving money to the monks next.

swissie is spot on - if this is intended as a symbolic gesture with the money passing back after the ceremony then OK.

If not the just say "NO" - sinsod is not for Farangs.

A relationship is about entwining cultures, nor just kissing the ar5e of every money grabbing wheeze. If you are that bothered about it (because it won't matter one jot) tell the family that in your culture such a dowry is paid by the bride's family but you have no intention of enforcing this.

I see, better keep the money for yourself for chang or Leo?

And when you go visit the IL in the village you complain they have sh*t toilet and sit on the floor to eat.... Now I get the picture so clear.

Different people have different values. Suit yourself.

And when you go visit the IL in the village you complain they have sh*t toilet and sit on the floor to eat.... Now I get the picture so clear.

A typical presumption from one the rose-tinted glasses crowd.

PM me if you want to know how much I have spent taking care of my partner over the last 8 years - and what I have spent contributing to help the family make a decent sh!t house.

FYI you could buy them the best dining table in the world and they would still eat off the floor - so save your money on that one.

• Like 2

As hard as I try, I can't make a direct connection between Sinsod and a Thai-Toilet. But in case a "no return Sinsod" situation comes into play,, the OP keeping his money and possibly investing it in Beer-Chang appears as an alternative. (Avoiding never ending grief and aggravation with little reward for the OP.)

Cheers.

I can't understand why you are asking such a personal question on a public forum.....<deleted> If you are about to get married & already have a child, you must already know your wifes family pretty well....you are bound to get all the usual replies saying that you are being scammed....It sounds to me as though you are looking for a solution that doesn't make you look like an rsole to your local peers/mates etc....maybe I'm a million miles away from the real situation....if you really LOVE your partner & child then you shouldn't do anything to make her & her family lose face...by that I don't mean agree to every demand....

• Like 1

A typical presumption from one the rose-tinted glasses crowd.

PM me if you want to know how much I have spent taking care of my partner over the last 8 years - and what I have spent contributing to help the family make a decent sh!t house.

FYI you could buy them the best dining table in the world and they would still eat off the floor - so save your money on that one.

Say 2 MB?

god help me

You have to man up NOW

Ad nauseam.

Sinsod, these days, has more of a symbolic value. Meaning, that of whatever the Sinsod consists of, it will be returned after marriage. AND: If wife was married previously, no Thai-Man would consider paying Sinsod in the first place.

Before marriage, OP should poke around a little in order to find out if a Sinsod would be returned after marriage. If not, above comment/assessment by "davetrout" would probably hit very close to home.

Cheers.

If you are going to give a gift with the hope it is going to be returned to you, then better not to give the gift in the first place and then everyone knows what you are all about from day 1....

• Like 1

nothing. if she loves you money wont matter

if money is more important than you to her then find someone else.

Spot on mate....you hit the nail on the head exactly

Edited by mxyzptlk
  • Like 1

As hard as I try, I can't make a direct connection between Sinsod and a Thai-Toilet. But in case a "no return Sinsod" situation comes into play,, the OP keeping his money and possibly investing it in Beer-Chang appears as an alternative. (Avoiding never ending grief and aggravation with little reward for the OP.)

Cheers.

Hahaha just read the post others moaning about eating on the floor and bad toilet when go to village make me thought of it. Anyway if anyone want to keep the money for their daily drink it's their problem not mine.