Thai interior minister shuts the door on delaying elections

Lite Beer

Thai interior minister shuts the door on delaying elections
By Digital Content

13881260004537-640x390x2.jpg

BANGKOK, Dec 27 - Thailand's caretaker Interior Minister Charupong Ruangsuwan insisted today that the government was not empowered to postpone the February 2 elections as suggested by the Election Commission (EC).

He told the EC not to try to pass the buck to the government since the law doesn’t allow a countrywide delay of the elections.

“In my capacity as leader of the Pheu Thai Party, I extend my moral support to the EC and advocate (holding) the elections as scheduled in order to return power to the people,” said Mr Charupong.

He said the law permits delay of elections in specific constituencies, but not nationwide, in case of accident, disaster or riot.

The EC yesterday proposed that the government consider postponing the elections in light of violence and clashes between the authorities and anti-government protesters which resulted in deaths and injuries on both sides.

Puchong Nutrawong, EC secretary general, today expressed appreciation to election officials for organising the election registration for party-list candidates, held at the Thai-Japanese sport stadium since Monday. Today is the final day for registration.

Registrations for constituency candidates will be held throughout the country from tomorrow through January 1.

Mr Puchong officially informed heads of provincial election commissions in Bangkok and all provinces that the registrations for constituency candidates will be held as planned despite violence and calls to delay the general elections.

In case of obstructions or threats against candidacy registration, election officials should immediately file complaints with police and inform the central EC in Bangkok, he said.

Mr Puchong said the EC has instructed the government to delay completion of the referendum on the Bt350 billion water management projects, which has already been conducted in 74 provinces, until after the elections.
The referendum is pending in three provinces – Nakhon Pathom, Kanchanaburi and Bangkok.

The EC was concerned that the referendum will affect the government and the elections including the use of state resources for the purpose, said Mr Puchong.

Meanwhile, caretaker Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra carried on her inspection of agricultural and transport projects in her native province of Chiang Mai today.

She said she was working as usual, and not taking leave as reported. She requested politicians and election candidates not to accompany her to avoid legal problems.

Ms Yingluck chaired a meeting with senior officials at the International Trade Exhibition Centre in Chiang Mai to follow up on various projects.

Refusing to be interviewed, she said briefly that she hasn’t signed an order to set up the reform assembly.

Ms Yingluck earlier announced her plan to set up a 499-member reform assembly by selecting qualified people from a short list of 2,000 people from all walks of life. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2013-12-27

Useless woman. Country's is about to explode and she's "inspecting agricultural and transport projects". This is one of the many reasons why she should be replaced.

PTP would not have another to replace her as number one on the party list because the big brother would not trust anybody else!

• Like 1

What I don't understand is the EC told the government to delay elections.. I assume that means that Yinglucks caretaker status would be extended as the country needs a PM at all times.. Yinglucks government responded by saying they do not see a legal way to delay it, what is the ECs response to that? how is the election delayed? If the EC continues to demand a delay but does not provide a legal way to do it, then that would seem to discredit them..

• Like 1

What I don't understand is the EC told the government to delay elections.. I assume that means that Yinglucks caretaker status would be extended as the country needs a PM at all times.. Yinglucks government responded by saying they do not see a legal way to delay it, what is the ECs response to that? how is the election delayed? If the EC continues to demand a delay but does not provide a legal way to do it, then that would seem to discredit them..

According to the Thai constitution if a Royal decree is obtained due to civil unrest etc., the elections can be legally delayed for 30 days, but that is it.

YL's government stands to gain a fairly good amount in 2014 in combined foreign aid if they remain democratically elected. Of course, I am not inferring that money might be on her and Thaksin's minds in refusing to delay, but ....

• Like 2

Useless woman. Country's is about to explode and she's "inspecting agricultural and transport projects". This is one of the many reasons why she should be replaced.

PTP would not have another to replace her as number one on the party list because the big brother would not trust anybody else!

No his other sister runs as MP, his cousin, and his brother in law.

Enough choices.

The Yingluck administration is becoming increasingly isolated in their steadfast insistence on holding an election under these exceptional and violent circumstances. Now they are pushing back against the EC - which has been more than generous in their recent granting the PTP access to monies for the rice subsidy - by dismissing their knowledge of what can and cannot be done. PTP's advice ? Call the police. Is there another three-word sentence that can instantly produce more mirth than

that one ?

I'm sure there are provisions on how to proceed, if there is reason to delay. That might be part of some organic by-law on the creation and runnig of the EC. And I'm sure the EC will not propose a delay, if it is impossible, as that could be seen as a dereliction of duty or something in that way.

If they can't find another way, the 5 EC bosses might step down, and without them no election is possible. Or no approval of results, either way.

It is for obvious reasons, that PTP wants to have the elections asap. For one the rice mortgage scheme is getting worse by the day, if the farmers don't get paid and the rice isn't getting better from being kept in storage. But beside that, the money isn't flowing that freely, when there is only a caretaker covernment.

About the rice I read somewhere, that the farmers are selling their receipts for the delivery of rice to the millers and middlemen, for about half the 15,000 Baht/ton, that the farmers are entitled (entitled in theory only). After all the farmers need some money to live from.

According to the Thai constitution if a Royal decree is obtained due to civil unrest etc., the elections can be legally delayed for 30 days, but that is it.

YL's government stands to gain a fairly good amount in 2014 in combined foreign aid if they remain democratically elected. Of course, I am not inferring that money might be on her and Thaksin's minds in refusing to delay, but ....

They could get a Royal decree every 30 days until the civil unrest etc moderates?

They could get a Royal decree every 30 days until the civil unrest etc moderates?

I doubt it since the Monarchy is not involved in politics.

Read the article below for more info:

http://asiancorrespondent.com/117342/can-the-election-be-delayed/

I doubt it since the Monarchy is not involved in politics.

Read the article below for more info:

http://asiancorrespondent.com/117342/can-the-election-be-delayed/

Further to the above, below is a link to an unofficial English translation to the Thai 2007 constitution (I.e. you cannot refer to this translation in court).

http://www.constitutionalcourt.or.th/dmdocuments/Constitution2007byIFES.pdf

“In my capacity as leader of the Pheu Thai Party, I extend my moral support to the EC and advocate (holding) the elections as scheduled in order to return power to the people,” said Mr Charupong.

He should have said:

“In my capacity as leader of the Pheu Thai Party, I extend my moral support to the EC and advocate (holding) the elections as scheduled in order to return power to PTP,”

Slip of the tongue.

I'm sure there are provisions on how to proceed, if there is reason to delay. That might be part of some organic by-law on the creation and runnig of the EC. And I'm sure the EC will not propose a delay, if it is impossible, as that could be seen as a dereliction of duty or something in that way.

If they can't find another way, the 5 EC bosses might step down, and without them no election is possible. Or no approval of results, either way.

It is for obvious reasons, that PTP wants to have the elections asap. For one the rice mortgage scheme is getting worse by the day, if the farmers don't get paid and the rice isn't getting better from being kept in storage. But beside that, the money isn't flowing that freely, when there is only a caretaker covernment.

About the rice I read somewhere, that the farmers are selling their receipts for the delivery of rice to the millers and middlemen, for about half the 15,000 Baht/ton, that the farmers are entitled (entitled in theory only). After all the farmers need some money to live from.

Yes, some farmers in Issan have only been offered 7,000 baht a tonne by millers.

Election postponement possible if parties agree: EC

BANGKOK: -- Election Commission member Somchai Srisuthiyakorn said on Tuesday that the EC is ready to postpone the election from February 2 if political parties reach an agreement to delay it and if it is permitted under the law.

Reasons to postpone

_ A poll can be delayed by 30 days via royal decree if there is civil unrest, floods, fire or other eventualities (according to Article 78 of the 2007 Constitution's organic law on elections);

_ If the ballot papers are damaged or lost (according to Article 85 of the 2007 Constitution's organic law on elections);

_ If only one candidate is elected in a constituency and receives less than 20 per cent of the total vote (according to Article 88 of the 2007 Constitution's organic law on elections);

_ A constituency has no MP candidates;

_ The number of MPs is less than 95 per cent of 500 - the compulsory figure that is needed for the House of Representatives to convene (according to Article 93 of the Constitution).

As some appointed Senators suggested that the Feb 2 election could be postponed under Article 187 of the Constitution, Ms Yingluck said this is a new issue which should be thoroughly studied and the forum could help find the best solution to the current political quagmire.

Election delay possible

BANGKOK: -- The Election Commission's new team says it could delay the general election from the scheduled date of February 2 while political parties prepare for the judgement day. Meanwhile, the opposition Democrat Party remains undecided on whether to field candidates.

primeminister refuses to give interview,,speaks volumes about her lack of brainpower,,utterly useless,thumbsup.gif ..[/

Hmmm, or speaks volumes about political acumen. We will have to stay tuned to see how this plays out. Too bad the Thai Democrats did not present a party platform appealing to the Thai voters ( the majority of all of them) and participate in the elections.

Yes, some farmers in Issan have only been offered 7,000 baht a tonne by millers.

Some?...I would suggest all......all around here anyway, and not happy at all about it. The red influence is waning rapidly.

Lots of comments on what Yingluck is doing. She is campaigning. What else should she be doing? Suthep has

made his intentions he will accept nothing but full and total control with no plan or time table put forward. He will

suspend elections until he sees fit. ie. forever or until forced. All Yingluck can do is move forward to the next election.

The opposition resigned she called an election. Suthep is acting like a spoilt brat, saying its my ball game over,

I don't want to play anymore. Unfortunately it is the peoples ball. As far as I am concerned if he does not want to

play, fine, go home and shut up. The people of Thailand deserve better choices that both these two main parties give.

End of story.

• Like 1

please explain.

who is providing the money and how much.

ps here's a hint, all foreign aid budgets have been slashed and there havn't really been any new programs announced for Thailand. Thailand dioesn't get much in aid anyway.

The majority of foreign aid in the world comes from the USA, EU, Japan, Canada &Australia. None of the aforementioned countries except Japan can be shown to have ever bribed in the past 25 years. It is a serious illegal act and the law is enforced.

As usual, our PM is very selective in which of her duties she carries out.

You mean traveling to various countries at Thai people expense and shopping big time. You know these activities are very tiring so that she need to rest in the home town a lot afterwards. Anything happens is really not her fault! Too bad and so sadgiggle.gif

Dissolving parliament was waste of money. There is no compromise or admission that some of the government's key policies were repugnant to a large proportion of the population and have led to this impasse. They just wanted to use the elections to come back again and continue where they left off. So it cannot end.

If they had just focused on plain old corruption and not tried to bring the old fart back from Dubai, they could have served the full term and filled their pockets even more.

• Like 1

Sometime I can not understand Thai Logic

In my wifes village a womans place is in the kitchen

or what they call a kitchen

Thai men never treat women as their equal or take order from a woman

The power of money changes old Thai culture

The Yingluck administration is becoming increasingly isolated in their steadfast insistence on holding an election under these exceptional and violent circumstances. Now they are pushing back against the EC - which has been more than generous in their recent granting the PTP access to monies for the rice subsidy - by dismissing their knowledge of what can and cannot be done. PTP's advice ? Call the police. Is there another three-word sentence that can instantly produce more mirth than

that one ?

Increasingly isolated? All they have is a big majority of the Thai people behind them.