Do Thai Taxi drivers not get paid well. Why do almost half of them feel like they are entitled to

Sojuncoke

more than the meter? I mean Taxi drivers in countries I have visited elsewhere (Korea, Singapore, Malaysia) do not ask for more than the meter. Only other place where they expect more than meter is America but they have the tipping fiasco.

I am truly trying to understand this and ask if anyone knows how much their average wage is. I know Korean, Singaporeans and Malaysian Taxi drivers get more money but they also live in a place with higher living costs.

I want to find out the average wage of taxi drivers so I can pin point if they are getting too low wages or if some of them really are getting greedy or just shady.

I know this is not a foreigner thing because they do this to Thai people too.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In general, they don't get paid well after paying rent for their cabs. They don't get paid well at all.

I got into a chat with one about this and he said for his 12 hour shift he rents his cab for 600 baht a shift ( 3 year old Toyota).

I've talked to a couple of motorcycle taxi blokes and apparently those orange vests they wear are 40000 baht to allow you to join that concession. I was surprised to learn that on a very good day they can earn 1000 baht.

Malaysian taxis being honest???? Is that a joke? I used to live four years in Kuala Lumpur and the taxi system over there is a total failure! taxi drivers being probably the most dishonest drivers in the whole world!

As for Singapore, the main I uses over there is that ... there are no taxis available at the leak hours. Nearly me missed a couple of flights on a Friday night in Singapore just because not a single cab would pick me up at the taxi stand and the waiting list on the various taxi company hotlines was just crazy.

Bangkok taxi drivers may not be perfect but the system is much much much better than in any other Asian countries (and probably even worldwide)

• Like 2

In tourist area's usually you got to get a driving taxi driver not one standing around else they wont turn on the meter. I hate it when they don't but i just take the next one or the one after that and so on.. in tourist area's it could take a while. Normal area's its easier to get a taxi.

Some are lazy some are not some are stupid some are not. I known hard working ones in our village to make good money but they in general own their taxi and work hard.

• Like 1

I have a dislike of Taxi drivers in places like Phuket, Koh Chang and Pattaya, where none use meters, drive like morons and ask for idiotic prices. The majority in Bangkok are fine, although there are the usual chancers. They get the exact money, absolutely no tip. I've got two taxi drivers I now use regularly, both that I initially got from the airport. Always the merger, polite and friendly. Last week, a trip from Swampy to Kanchanaburi was 1600 baht. He also picked me up two days later for the same price. He got a decent tip on top of it and will now have regular business.

In general, they don't get paid well after paying rent for their cabs. They don't get paid well at all.

I got into a chat with one about this and he said for his 12 hour shift he rents his cab for 600 baht a shift ( 3 year old Toyota).

I've talked to a couple of motorcycle taxi blokes and apparently those orange vests they wear are 40000 baht to allow you to join that concession. I was surprised to learn that on a very good day they can earn 1000 baht.

The motorcycle guys have a great system in place and they take everyone where they need to go. Granted they are always short trips however have you notice how well controlled they have there distribution point. Taxis could learn something from these guys.

• Like 2

It is what it is.30 days A month,30000 baht.1000 baht A day.It's not good.They have to eat.I don't have problem with Bangkok taxi drivers.The ones I've had all use the meter.I tip 10-15% of the fare?If I didn't have extra money I wouldn't come to Thailand.It's called trickle down economics.

In tourist area's usually you got to get a driving taxi driver not one standing around else they wont turn on the meter. I hate it when they don't but i just take the next one or the one after that and so on.. in tourist area's it could take a while. Normal area's its easier to get a taxi.

Some are lazy some are not some are stupid some are not. I known hard working ones in our village to make good money but they in general own their taxi and work hard.

I was desperate for a taxi to take me home and the taxi drivers were refusing until I lost my cool and started to write his number down. Then no argument (they can't refuse a fare by law).

I was desperate for a taxi to take me home and the taxi drivers were refusing until I lost my cool and started to write his number down. Then no argument (they can't refuse a fare by law).

Haha! That's the one thing that really puzzled me about the taxi system here. Sometimes I can understand if they don't want to go to some place because of traffic, but I still need to get home!

Do you just write down the taxi cab number or the driver's number (that sign in the front seat)?

Other than that, I think the taxi system here in BKK is pretty good. I always like giving a tip (rounding to the nearest 20B). But there are times where the driver would round down (71 baht fare or some such).

That's a sure fire way to end up at the hospital rather than at home.

It is what it is.30 days A month,30000 baht.1000 baht A day.It's not good.They have to eat.I don't have problem with Bangkok taxi drivers.The ones I've had all use the meter.I tip 10-15% of the fare?If I didn't have extra money I wouldn't come to Thailand.It's called trickle down economics.

You think thats not good? I do not really disagree, but:

1000 Baht/day? I doubt that many drivers reach this amount.

And 30000 Baht/month is definitely not a bad salary for an unskilled person in Thailand.

Average (younger) teachers will not earn more.

Wish I could find this link with some insight reports from Bangkok taxi drivers.

Most are happy with less than 1000 Baht per day.

Not the link that I was searching for, but goes in a similar direction in terms of income:

http://www.stickmanbangkok.com/Reader/reader1983.htm

What does that bring us to?

- Inexperienced / dumb driver who rents his cab: +/- 6,000 baht per month

- Honest, experienced taxi driver who rents his cab: +/- 12,500 baht/month

- Honest, experienced taxi driver who owns his cab: +/- 27,500 baht/month

- Borderline cabby with flexible morals who rents his cab: +/- 20,000 baht/month

- Borderline cabby with flexible morals who owns his cab: +/- 35,000 baht/month

- Criminal **** who owns his car: 50,000++ baht/month

Edited by KhunBENQ

Generally speaking, wherever I've been, if you flag down a passing taxi you'll get the meter fare, while if you approach the crooks loitering outside nightclubs, hotels, they'll haggle for a fixed fee. That's true in Bangkok, KL and Singapore. In Hong Kong, there is the added complication of Tunnel Taxi Ranks, and restrictions on New Territories and Lantau Taxis; I used to live just on the Urban side of the border with the New Territories area, and the Green taxis were often reticent about coming into the Estate.

Some people I know insist on a fixed fee in preference to the meter, for fear of a long unnecessary detour.

The airport surcharge in Bangkok is the lowest of any I have encountered, I think. Although the fixed price limos from KLIA may be cheaper than the meter.

SC

My wife owns two queue licenses in Pattaya. The motorbike taxi queue licence holders pay the 40k+. Mostly the drivers are renting from the queue owner and paying around 1,500 baht a month. Licence and rental costs vary by location of the queue and number of drivers permitted by the queue license.

• Like 2

Stop and take a look around you !! It's not just the Taxi drivers who think you owe them something....it's the whole nation !

Beneath all the "wai-ing" (and I have seen Farangs Wai - shame) - they are out to get the next $$

• Like 1

I think Bangkok taxis are great and very good value. I use them a lot if in Bangkok.

In Chiang Mai they don't go by the meter. They have fixed fares. I guess, they should have picked an other name taxi meter. But then somehow, it is same same. If I arrive at the bus station and need to go to town, they are cheaper and safer than a tuk tuk. And even the motorbike taxi wants more money than the air conditioned car (120/150/200 for a couple of kilometers).

In many places in the world, arriving at airports, it is normal you pay an additional price to the normal price. This is because the taxi driver have spend time waiting to pick you up. And those airports where there are no taxis. I guess I don't need to say what I think about those.

If in Chiang Mai. Usually I drive when going back home. I guess if the taxi system was more well developed I would be taking air conditioned by the meter a lot more instead of driving myself. I simply refuse to get ripped off by the tuk tuk.

Edited by Potter
  • Like 2

Before we start this hot topic off, may I ask the OP what the 'I know Korean, Singaporeans and Malaysian Taxi drivers get more money' ... just what are their average wages?

As for directly asking about the Thai Industry.

Are you asking about a Bangkok Taxi, Udon or Ubon one, a Pattaya or Phuket one or, a rare breed a Saumi one?

Does the Taxi driver an Owner driver or a hired hand?

Does the Taxi driver rent a newer or older taxi?

... or do you just wish to generally beef about been asked for more money by a Taxi Driver ... rolleyes.gif

BTW, for the record, I've never been asked for more then the fare ... and that based on hundreds of fares, though not thousands like many here living in Thailand permanently.

"BTW, for the record, I've never been asked for more then the fare..."

Yes, about the only time I take a taxi (of the car variety, not the motorcycle version that I sometimes use in Pattaya) is on my infrequent visits to Bangkok, but I have never been asked for anything more than what's on the meter. I mean if the fare is 90 baht I hand over a Baht 100 and (big spender that I am) don't ask for change, but no one has ever asked me for anything beyond what's on the meter.

Edited by Suradit69
  • Like 1