To reform or not to reform, before or after the election - that is the question: Thai opinion

webfact

There is just so much wrong with this article rant it's difficult to know what to say

"The government is playing a dangerous game. Every day it is deliberately stoking the fires for armed struggle"

Does this idiot mean to be taken seriously? Is suthep the epitome of mild mannered restraint? Christ on a bike, it makes you want to tuzki-bunny-emoticon-043.gif the <deleted>

....and as usual, you denigrate the author without offering anything constructive..!! What, fab4, is your solution to the current political impasse...??!!

bottom line, honest persons don't get involved in politics

Jose "Pepe" Mujica President of Uruguay, Arvind Kerjriwal of Delhi, Aung San Suu Kyi of Burma, (who never sobs when things go against her BTW). I could go on. But I get your point. A country as endemically corrupt as Thailand will find it very difficult to find someone of this caliber. Before they got shot in the head, anyway.

Good article ..... Interesting .....thumbsup.gif

You think this is a good article? Don't you think that to quote the following is a bit inflammatory?:

"He asked if it was right for a person with a sexually transmitted disease to ask someone to go to bed with him/her first, and then go to a doctor after they were both infected. Rather, wasn't it right to first cure the disease before asking someone else to enter into a relationship?"

I have been watching www.blueskychannel.tv.com. They are broadcasting speeches from Democracy monument from Mr Suthep and others. Watch and see what you think. They have an English language section with language like "we have a messy dirty house... we want a clean house".

I think this may be preparatory to a coup. I hope I am wrong.

I agree. Extremely distasteful, but very TV appropriate, don't you think? dry.png

In the U.S. the issues are the same as here, in Thailand. The rich and powerful believe only they have the right to govern, or rule. The lackey class and the Republican Party who serve the elites and get rich by doing so certainly agree. Since the 1980's, the working class has been frightened into voting against their own interests. But there is a problem. The Republicans can no longer win a national election because the majority of voters do not agree with their policies. Their solution to this problem is to vote in "reforms" that make it much harder for minority groups, students and workers to vote. They tried this in 2010 and it pissed off so many people that more of the "wrong" people voted than before. So, most likely next year they will lose again.

Why is all of this happening? The answer is pretty straight forward; in 20 years white people will no longer be the majority. African Americans, Hispanics, and Asians together will be the majority. These groups are politically liberal and over 60% of them vote for the Democratic Party, and they largely believe that the people with money should not control politics.

I have only been in Thailand for a few years, but there seem to be some similarities. The bottom line is that a Democracy means that power will be shared and more people will want a share of the wealth of a country, like good education, decent health care, a social safety net. If a party stands for these things, they will tend to win. Thailand is simply learning these things now, but I would suggest that the the genie is out of the bottle and will not not go back in. The sooner that Thai politics and the politicians accept this the sooner real reforms can take place and the promise of a democratic Thailand be realized.

I observe on TV that those who don't want reform or prefer the current governments point of view kick off into rants and become abusive about the other sides point of view. Its almost like the current governments behaviour.

Judging by what ive seen thats exactly the actions and response of both sides not just one at all... blame culture .. makes people feel all nice and superior ....also keeps them dumb and blind to their own and often mirrored imperfections. whistling.gif

Edited by englishoak

When the wealthy disenfranchise the poor, it is time for the poor to kill the wealthy.

The red shirts have plenty of hidden guns and are entirely ready to do this.

Will they start with Thaksin?

Only if he's allowed to return to Thailand.

The poor don't have the air fare to Dubai.

When the wealthy disenfranchise the poor, it is time for the poor to kill the wealthy.

The red shirts have plenty of hidden guns and are entirely ready to do this.

Will they start with Thaksin?

Only if he's allowed to return to Thailand.

The poor don't have the air fare to Dubai.

Allowed to? Who's stopping him?

A slightly less rich person arguing with a more rich person, over who should run the country. I don't give a F about either.

I note that Suthep doesn't say ANYTHING concrete about what policy needs changing. Healthcare? Nope. Education? Nope. Road safety? Hell nope. Just vague changes to which set of rich old men get elected.

Edited by celso