To reform or not to reform, before or after the election - that is the question: Thai opinion

webfact

To reform or not to reform, before or after the election - that is the question

actually, the real question is , do you will hold an election on the 2 february?

after what suthep and the amart want, its an another coup problem !

"Thailand is in a conundrum, politically. The tangled webs of conflict are so knotted that no parties see a clear way out."

"you do it my way or the highway...."

"No you do it MY WAY OR THE HIGHWAY

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

To reform or not to reform....... that is not the question. The question is before or not before the election.

The issue is straightforward enough. Without reform now Sooty will continue to cry havoc and nothing will change because the pro reformers simply do not trust Tiny Tears to keep her promises after the election. Sooty is a politician himself and he of all people must know what inveterate liars they are.

• Like 1

actually, the real question is , do you will hold an election on the 2 february?

after what suthep and the amart want, its an another coup problem !

Bender, you are clearly one of the blind being led by the blind.

All around us we see the voice of reason which clearly recognises that the election cannot go ahead without reforms first of all being put in place. The business community, educational institutions, the EC, and now, even the Army.

The Army Chief came out with a clear warning to YL yesterday, and still she sits on her high horse telling everyone that she (or should we say Thaksin?) knows better...!!

If she continues to insist that the elections go ahead, then she will be responsible for seeing her government ousted once and for all, albeit quite sadly, by yet another coup...!

• Like 2

Whether she is giving money to the poor for electoral purposes does not matter because the needy are receiving at least something. The rest of the rich choose not to give money, that is their democratic right. Yet they then complain that the poor won't vote for them. Why should they?

All kinds of sophistry and blame-slinging can't cover this up. The rich try to make the issue reform and Thaksinocracy but if they don't stop hoarding their money to the detriment of poor Thai people how can there be a resolution?

Whether she is giving money to the poor for electoral purposes does not matter because the needy are receiving at least something. The rest of the rich choose not to give money, that is their democratic right. Yet they then complain that the poor won't vote for them. Why should they?

All kinds of sophistry and blame-slinging can't cover this up. The rich try to make the issue reform and Thaksinocracy but if they don't stop hoarding their money to the detriment of poor Thai people how can there be a resolution?

Whether she is giving money to the poor for electoral purposes does not matter because the needy are receiving at least something

Even if it makes the whole country poor!

The rest of the rich choose not to give money, that is their democratic right. Yet they then complain that the poor won't vote for them. Why should they?

So Thaksin was giving his own money away? I seriously doubt that! We all know where the money came from, And they couldn't even do that right.

Surely you realize the ones hoarding the money are those in government. They are stealing for themselves not for the people.

But you could say the poor and needy are not getting anything, because they are a smaller number of people than the rice farmers, their vote isn't important. But I expect a few rice farmers will be joining the ranks of the poor and needy, as they now have no money because the government don't have the money to pay them.

There will always be poor and needy, but in the great scheme of things their needs are not paramount to a resolution of the political problems, and never will be!

"She is the commander-in-chief, not a victim" Hmmm didn't the head of army say "anything can happen" the other day? Not "I will follow the orders of the commander-in-chief". I would assume therefore she is not the commander in chief. BBC pointed out military has led coups 11 times in Thailand.... they are the power.

Reforms are called for, but protestors and Suthep are profoundly unforthcoming as to what their "reform" will mean, other than some unelected panel. Devil is in the details. Reminds me of Nixon before 72 election with declarations of "Peace is at hand" etc. Won the election and then we had the Christmas bombing campaign. Great plan. Reform does not equal improve always. Reform as in "put in the good old boys we had before" isn't enough.

• Like 2

Something needs to be done BEFORE the election,as that will

just be a waste of money,when so much has already been

lost,

If not, its going to be the same,one family running the country as

their own fiefdom,and anybody who thinks they are doing this for

the good of Thailand is as disillusioned as all those Reds in Isan

and the North.if they wanted to help Thailand the whole family

should exit stage left,and quietly,don't look back.

regards Worgeordie

• Like 2

Fabulously written.

Yes. It might have been written by Orwell...as a parody written in doublespeak. Imagine comparing the Bangkok elites and industrialists who support the PDC to Nelson Mandela and company. Of course, the more appropriate analogy would be to compare these elites to the minority Afrikaners who ruled South Africa for so long. So much misinformation packed into one editorial. The gist of it is, though, is the same as that voiced by an abusive spouse: "It's your fault I hit you because you make me angry. Just do as I say and I will stop."

Truly vile.

• Like 2

There is just so much wrong with this article rant it's difficult to know what to say

"The government is playing a dangerous game. Every day it is deliberately stoking the fires for armed struggle"

Does this idiot mean to be taken seriously? Is suthep the epitome of mild mannered restraint? Christ on a bike, it makes you want to tuzki-bunny-emoticon-043.gif the <deleted>

Edited by fab4

"They unanimously and unilaterally rejected the ruling of the Constitutional Court - a legal and legitimate entity under the Constitution - when it did not please them or serve their whim. The picture of them locking hands, their faces smiling as they pledged unity in denying the authority of the court, outraged the sensibilities of law-abiding citizens. It was then that the prime minister and her coalition lost their legitimacy to govern."

This vignette shows what this violence is built upon.

A dictator so controlling the parliamentary process,

he can force the MP's into doing HIS bidding and ignore the courts.

And they only backed down a bit when the people rose up,

but that was too little too late. The cat is out of the bag Elvis has left the building.

"Last week, a doctor who professed he was no political activist pleaded for reforms before the election. His reason was simple and based on his own experience as a physician.

He asked if it was right for a person with a sexually transmitted disease to ask someone to go to bed with him/her first, and then go to a doctor after they were both infected. Rather, wasn't it right to first cure the disease before asking someone else to enter into a relationship?"

If they're both infected with a sexually transmitted disease, it won't make any difference whether they go to the doctor before or after going to bed. And if the doctor ("reform") has no cure for the disease there's probably no point in going to see him or her at all. Best if both infected parties are sent to the political equivalent of a TB sanitarium.

The idea that there is any set of new constitutional or legal arrangements that can stop or stifle "corruption" is more the problem than the solution. Sitting beneath any such new set will be the very same cultural practices that will be their undoing.

In the U.S. the issues are the same as here, in Thailand. The rich and powerful believe only they have the right to govern, or rule. The lackey class and the Republican Party who serve the elites and get rich by doing so certainly agree. Since the 1980's, the working class has been frightened into voting against their own interests. But there is a problem. The Republicans can no longer win a national election because the majority of voters do not agree with their policies. Their solution to this problem is to vote in "reforms" that make it much harder for minority groups, students and workers to vote. They tried this in 2010 and it pissed off so many people that more of the "wrong" people voted than before. So, most likely next year they will lose again.

Why is all of this happening? The answer is pretty straight forward; in 20 years white people will no longer be the majority. African Americans, Hispanics, and Asians together will be the majority. These groups are politically liberal and over 60% of them vote for the Democratic Party, and they largely believe that the people with money should not control politics.

I have only been in Thailand for a few years, but there seem to be some similarities. The bottom line is that a Democracy means that power will be shared and more people will want a share of the wealth of a country, like good education, decent health care, a social safety net. If a party stands for these things, they will tend to win. Thailand is simply learning these things now, but I would suggest that the the genie is out of the bottle and will not not go back in. The sooner that Thai politics and the politicians accept this the sooner real reforms can take place and the promise of a democratic Thailand be realized.

• Like 2

Good article ..... Interesting .....thumbsup.gif

You think this is a good article? Don't you think that to quote the following is a bit inflammatory?:

"He asked if it was right for a person with a sexually transmitted disease to ask someone to go to bed with him/her first, and then go to a doctor after they were both infected. Rather, wasn't it right to first cure the disease before asking someone else to enter into a relationship?"

I have been watching www.blueskychannel.tv.com. They are broadcasting speeches from Democracy monument from Mr Suthep and others. Watch and see what you think. They have an English language section with language like "we have a messy dirty house... we want a clean house".

I think this may be preparatory to a coup. I hope I am wrong.

Good article ..... Interesting .....thumbsup.gif alt=thumbsup.gif pagespeed_url_hash=1443177670>

You think this is a good article? Don't you think that to quote the following is a bit inflammatory?:

"He asked if it was right for a person with a sexually transmitted disease to ask someone to go to bed with him/her first, and then go to a doctor after they were both infected. Rather, wasn't it right to first cure the disease before asking someone else to enter into a relationship?"

I have been watching www.blueskychannel.tv.com. They are broadcasting speeches from Democracy monument from Mr Suthep and others. Watch and see what you think. They have an English language section with language like "we have a messy dirty house... we want a clean house".

I think this may be preparatory to a coup. I hope I am wrong.

You can watch the whole "dirty House...we want a clean House" online - with production values and background music not dissimilar to what you would see in a cinema before a movie. It's a pretty pathetic piece of of advertising (propaganda, if you like).