Savvy Chinese Apple user busts thieving baggage handler in Phuket

Lite Beer

Savvy Chinese Apple user busts thieving baggage handler in Phuket
Phuket Gazette -

PHUKET: A technologically handicapped baggage handler at Phuket International Airport was arrested for theft after having been outwitted by a savvy Chinese Apple user.

Tah Chat Chai Police arrested Somsak Pohnisai, 31, yesterday and charged with the theft of Yang Liqiang’s iPad on December 14.

Mr Somsak might have gotten away with the theft from Ms Yang’s luggage had he not decided to take advantage of his newly acquired piece of technology by taking a picture of himself.

What Mr Somsak didn’t know was that Ms Yang’s iPad was connected to her Apple computer at home. Ms Yang, who realized her iPad was missing when she arrived back in China, quickly copied three of the photos the suspect took of himself and sent them to the airline she was traveling with, China Southern Airlines.

“We were notified by airline officers of the incident and sent a team down with the pictures to identify the suspect. We found Mr Somsak at the conveyor on the first floor,” Tah Chat Chai Police Inspector Sarawut Chuprasit said, and he "confessed to stealing the iPad,” the policeman added.

Officers then went to Somsak’s rented room in Sakoo and found an iPad Air, three smart phones and three cameras.

Source: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket_news/2013/Savvy-Chinese-Apple-user-busts-thieving-baggage-handler-in-Phuket-23125.html

pglogo.jpg
-- Phuket Gazette 2013-12-28

• Like 1

See what self indulgence can do to you?

Ask any Thai not to admire himself/herself in the rear view mirror of a car or a motorcycle mirror or not take photos of themselves and you made your worst enemy ever.

Selfies the ultimate self-indulgence!tongue.png

.....yeah, and what's going to happen to this thieving clunt?.......................................nothing, that's what (he's Thai after all)

What a shame to live such a negative life. Well done by all....

What was not said here is

That all Apple Ipads Lap Tops and IPhones can be traced with software written into the phone tracked on wifi, and lead you right to the front door

something windows sellers in Bkk not want you to know I guess

galaxy has dropbox..when a photo is taken it downloads to any computor which has dropbox on it....

What was not said here is

That all Apple Ipads Lap Tops and IPhones can be traced with software written into the phone tracked on wifi, and lead you right to the front door

something windows sellers in Bkk not want you to know I guess

You are referring to an app called "Find My iPhone".

It has to be downloaded and is not part of the operating system.

Then, you must enable it.

Once you have done both, which requires your Apple ID, anyone stealing, or finding your iDevice is in possession of an expensive paperweight.

Good story all round. A good warning to 'cam-whores' who can't stop taking self-portraits. And well-done to the girl. Smart, but then again, not very smart. Never put anything more expensive than used underwear in a luggage you plan to check-in as cargo. If you think an iPad is too cumbersome to carry on board, then live without it.

See what self indulgence can do to you?

Ask any Thai not to admire himself/herself in the rear view mirror of a car or a motorcycle mirror or not take photos of themselves and you made your worst enemy ever.

Isn't that the truth.

Park near Tuk-com and come back to a few of the local 'boys' preening themselves in your mirrors and draped all over your bike.

I have reflective glass at the house and watch them often admiring themselves in the reflection, it can be very amusing if I am on the other side unseen.

.....yeah, and what's going to happen to this thieving clunt?.......................................nothing, that's what (he's Thai after all)

... therein lies the rub...!! There is no deterrent in Thailand! Try getting away with such acts in the Middle East...!!

Modern technology really is a great big thorn in the side of everyday Thai scams and cons.

Whether it's fake officials extorting people, real officials extorting people, everyday scamming like this, it nearly all can be caught on video or camera or microphone or tracked by GPS etc etc and if one wishes uploaded to media sites within a minute.

Brushing things under the carpet is going to get harder and harder for Thais as technology continues to develop, and man oh man do they hate to not be able to brush their crap under the carpet when they are caught out lying/scamming etc. and might actually have to take responsibility for their actions.

... Yes, I really wish I had cameras on my car so I could have captured the registration of the yellow f***ing taxi that took a piece out of my rear bumper...!!

Every single time I travel in and out of Thailand my suitcase lock is changed to 000 in an obvious attempt to open it as many do not set a new combination. Every time, not just once in a while. At least they caught one of these monkeys but there are plenty more where he came from.