got work lined up: time to get non-im B visa in Laos? Better to go elsewhere?

Can anyone tell me the time to get a non-im B visa in Vientiane? I have a job offer already from an established mid size company (not english teaching), I have all the paperwork that is needed but they want me to start on Jan 5th. I'm currently in Thailand on a visa waiver, I will fly to Laos on 1st Jan and put in application first thing on Jan 2nd.

Is there any chance I will get it next day? whats the normal time?

Is it better for me to go to a different embassy I can change my plans if its more likely that I'll get it straightaway.

many thanks

You now will not get a non-b visa without first applying for a work permit from any nearby embassy or consulate. From link you posted.

- Some embassies/consulates in Asia, apart from the ones in your country of residence, will need you to apply for the work permit first and obtain the WP3 form
The WP3 is no longer enough to get visa they are now requiring the letter of approval. Vientiane embassy info here (all MFA websites down today try later) http://vientiane.thaiembassy.org/vientiane/en/consular/consular_check/

ok, what about if I fly to KL or singapore or somewhere else? I'm originally Australian, prefer not to have to do it in Australia but other asian countries are an option? Does any other countries allow me to get the non-im B first then enter Thailand, then get the work permit?

Your employer needs to file the WP application (WP3) first - see form attached below:

Once your WP application has been successfully filed, then you can go to a Thai Consular facility outside of Thailand to obtain a 90 Day Single Entry Non Immigrant 'B' Visa, you need the WP3 receipt (A5 sized paper) and for some consulates the Letter of Acceptatnce from the Labour Dept (this can be issued only once your WP application is filed successfully) plus the other MFA mandated company papers, etc .
If a Letter of Acceptance is required this needs signing by the Labour Dept Head which can take a few days to obtain.
Re-enter Thailand and you will get a 90 Day Non 'B' stamp in your passport, take this to Labour and they will complete the process of your WP and issue the WP4 Blue Booklet.
Be aware that it is against Thai Law to work until you have the actual Work Permit Booklet; visa plus application filed is not sufficient.
Good Luck, I would be most suprised if you/your employers can get your WP sorted before the 5th Jan as all government depts are now shut until the 2nd Jan.
Which means that the earliest you could get to a consular facility would be next Friday, so the visa could not be picked up until the following Monday (the 6th) and then you need to get back to Thailand and get hold of your WP4 Booklet from Labour.
Edited by digitalchromakey
  • Like 1

Well it seems my employer has a board of investment recommendation and an exemption for everything as its tech / digital media industry . So they are sending me off to try and get the non im b without the employment permit and it's on their heads if it doesn't work out.

Lets see what happens when I get to Laos .

Well it seems my employer has a board of investment recommendation and an exemption for everything as its tech / digital media industry . So they are sending me off to try and get the non im b without the employment permit and it's on their heads if it doesn't work out. Lets see what happens when I get to Laos .

Will your "employer" meet all your costs ?

Just wondering smile.png

Well it seems my employer has a board of investment recommendation and an exemption for everything as its tech / digital media industry . So they are sending me off to try and get the non im b without the employment permit and it's on their heads if it doesn't work out. Lets see what happens when I get to Laos .

Even if you manage to get a Single 90 Day Non 'B', you will still have to wait for the WP before you start work.

If you employer is a BOI Company they can use the one stop centre in BKK to process your WP, which will probably be somewhat quicker than normal; however if they as a BOI company can do this, why have they not already made your WP application?

Not wishing to be a doom monger, but It's the employee who faces imprisonment and deportation if caught working with out a WP, not the employer, so just be cautious if they ask you to start work and don't up the WP.

Good luck.

Whatever , this company has many foreigners on staff and they have client work lined up which they have me booked on. And yes they are giving me a per down to cover expenses ( paid to me overseas since I don't have a work permit yet )

Sorry to persist ------does that mean you are currently working in Thailand without an appropriate visa and work permit ?

Whatever , this company has many foreigners on staff and they have client work lined up which they have me booked on. And yes they are giving me a per down to cover expenses ( paid to me overseas since I don't have a work permit yet )

Sorry to persist ------does that mean you are currently working in Thailand without an appropriate visa and work permit ?

Read the original post - employer has asked OP to start work next Jan 5.

Well apparently my employer got a reply from BOI on a saturday even and the magic BOI recommendation solves all. They can get me a Non Im B from any embassy no questions asked without having the work permit first.

At this stage I have no reason to distrust them, I'll post back here after my trip to let know if it works or not.

Well apparently my employer got a reply from BOI on a saturday even and the magic BOI recommendation solves all. They can get me a Non Im B from any embassy no questions asked without having the work permit first.

At this stage I have no reason to distrust them, I'll post back here after my trip to let know if it works or not.

Your taking trip where exactly ?

Just asking polity so we can all understand the BOI "magic" and how it works.

BOI is the thai board of investment. Companies with BOI recommendation get preferential treatment for employment of foreigners including an exemption to the four thais per foreigner rule. its all above board and completely legal.

BOI is the thai board of investment. Companies with BOI recommendation get preferential treatment for employment of foreigners including an exemption to the four thais per foreigner rule. its all above board and completely legal.

Many of us understand what BOI means !

I was not aware that this debate was about exemptions to four Thais per foreigner rule!

You were claiming BOI "magic" in terms of securing a Non O B visa in a nearby country without the need for a work permit !

I am just asking about how that is achieved smile.png

Special paperwork -? ---- If so What ---------Exactly

Edited by Sceptict11

The letter of recommendation needs to provide proof of a BOI recommended company and then different rules apply. Get hired by a company that has a BOI recommendation and you too can have the "BOI magic"

Great stuff !

Dodging the Question .

Never mind --------tell us all about how a Non O B visa was obtained from a nearby country -----------Once it has been obtained.

But do not forget the detail which could prove invaluable to others ----------"magic" is an illusion which provides no real information.

Why the reluctance to provide detailed , informative information ?

I have provided the info . The company hiring you is either listed with boi or not. If they are listed with boi then you can get prefential treatment if your letter of recommendation provides proof of that. It's not hard to understand .

As you wish !

Tell us all the detail once the "B" visa has been issued in a nearby country . smile.png

Even better, perhaps you can explain why the "magic" enforces a trip outside Thailand ?

Edited by Sceptict11

Even better, perhaps you can explain why the "magic" enforces a trip outside Thailand ?

Correctly phrased, your question probably should read: "Why does the applicant for a work permit to work at a BOI-approved company have to go and get a non-B visa from a Thai consulate instead of being able to get a conversion from a visa-exempt entry to a non-B visa at the local immigration office and subsequent one-year employment extension"

My question to you is, why do you ask this question? Do you know anybody who got this type of visa conversion at the immigration office?

You now will not get a non-b visa without first applying for a work permit from any nearby embassy or consulate. From link you posted.

- Some embassies/consulates in Asia, apart from the ones in your country of residence, will need you to apply for the work permit first and obtain the WP3 form

The WP3 is no longer enough to get visa they are now requiring the letter of approval. Vientiane embassy info here (all MFA websites down today try later) http://vientiane.thaiembassy.org/vientiane/en/consular/consular_check/

sorry i cant get any of these links to work

can someone check please