No shame,no morals.

Kangawallafox

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You mean to say that your wife didn't know you two were overcharged all this time?

This happened to me with my darling, i she would buy something for me and i would think that the cost was higher than i got it elsewhere, this happened often and as i learn't to understand the thai numbers i realized she would always pay more than the locals,, i wondered about this and my conclusion was that she was not spending her money so she didn't give a stuff,, i did because of the principle of the matter and she no longer buys things for me, i keep the money in my hand and i pay and i speak a little thai tao rai ? that get's them opened eye.

The government goes ahead and charges more for non Thais as a standard at national parks, museums etc. In the north we just show our Thai driving license and get the Thai price. In the south it doesn't matter what papers we show. They don't want to give the Thai price. Which is one of many factors for me to avoid the south. In the north we say, If it becomes crazy like down south, then it is time to leave Thailand. Corruption is less up here.

For a couple of advice. If I order a noodle soup at a shop where nobody knows me. If I order "normal". Then it is about 50-50 whether I pay "special" or "normal". If I ask a question like "think how". Then it is 90%+ chance they will tell me the "normal" price. At the market my wife asks me what shop to buy vegestables and fruits. I reply loud so all people hear. "WE WANT BUY AT HAVE TAG PRICE".

Edited by Potter

As I said price is not the issue,it was how nice they were being to us,everyday,then whispering to charge extra,a dog act.

I dont get it. Good service, good coffee yet you feel offended because locals who have been buying coffee at this shop for years probably get a discount. Plus you have no knowledge of the cost of an iced coffee? Nor does your Thai wife? Either your both daft or your wife is in cahoots with the coffee vendors in robbing you blind. Our 3 year old knows the price of an iced coffee for five cents. I say good for the vendor.

Plus you need to give more details. Is your coffee exactly the same? Same amount of coffee, size, sugar, sweet milk, instant or fresh brewed? Many reasons other than being a daft farang for getting charged extra. Or this is the normal Thursday "double pricing" troll thread being rolled out on Monday!

• Like 1

Once I thought it would be fun to write to the Bangkok newspapers misrepresenting myself as the ambassador of the U.S. to announce a "new law" that would reciprocate laws/pricing from other countries. Henceforth no Thais could own land in the U.S., the entrance fees to Disney World, etc would be triple regular price, etc. Never got around to it, but wonder if it would make an impact on the Thai at all.

• Like 1

The government goes ahead and charges more for non Thais as a standard at national parks, museums etc. In the north we just show our Thai driving license and get the Thai price. In the south it doesn't matter what papers we show. They don't want to give the Thai price. Which is one of many factors for me to avoid the south. In the north we say, If it becomes crazy like down south, then it is time to leave Thailand. Corruption is less up here.

For a couple of advice. If I order a noodle soup at a shop where nobody knows me. If I order "normal". Then it is about 50-50 whether I pay "special" or "normal". If I ask a question like "how think". Then it is 90%+ chance they will tell me the "normal" price. At the market my wife asks me what shop to buy vegestables and fruits. I reply loud so all people hear. "WE WANT BUY AT TAG PRICE HAVE".

Your wife must be so proud of you!
  • Like 1

For a couple of advice. If I order a noodle soup at a shop where nobody knows me. If I order "normal". Then it is about 50-50 whether I pay "special" or "normal". If I ask a question like "how think". Then it is 90%+ chance they will tell me the "normal" price. At the market my wife asks me what shop to buy vegestables and fruits. I reply loud so all people hear. "WE WANT BUY AT TAG PRICE HAVE".

Your wife must be so proud of you!
She has to be or.....

Understanding that the OP has very little knowledge about real Thailand, I question his accusation about overpricing.

I am getting discounts up to 30 % (did not ask or demand it) for my meals and drinks at my frequently visited restaurants/stalls because they want to see me returning. Business practiced all over the world I have seen.

I'm lost why you feel violated. They are not your friends. They run a business. You don't like it or you disagree with cost, go elsewhere as you are doing. But you feel mistreated? You were probably charged what all westerners were charged. And you stated that they still chargedless than the oother cart.

It seems to me they provided a good service and you are upset because they didn't give you the 'local' discount. And you didn't get that discount because you are not a local. PS- it sounds like you were well on your way to getting that discount before you took things personally.

• Like 2

Peter are you still angry about that? I had a boss named Pete that made me fire a lady who made a 10 cent phone call from a company phone. He told me it was the principle. 20 years later I was doing well and hired Pete and then after a year I fired him. He said why? I told him i never forgot what he made me do as a young man and I felt bad about it for 20 years. So I fired him, not because he did anything wrong but it was the principle of the thing.

That was generous. One year with stiffass Pete around must have gained you heaven surely.

For a couple of advice. If I order a noodle soup at a shop where nobody knows me. If I order "normal". Then it is about 50-50 whether I pay "special" or "normal". If I ask a question like "think how". Then it is 90%+ chance they will tell me the "normal" price. At the market my wife asks me what shop to buy vegestables and fruits. I reply loud so all people hear. "WE WANT BUY AT HAVE TAG PRICE".

I wish I had a video clip of this,

• Like 1

I think the only person who is miserable and stressed out is you .

You mean to say that your wife didn't know you two were overcharged all this time?

How would she,only been staying in the soi two weeks,was her that found out as I don't speak thai.
But why don't you speak thai, it is only in your own interest to learn the language of the country you are living in, I was at a direct disadvantage, I arrived in an isaan village direct from 7months in borneo,having just trying to learn the basic,malay, Iban and sakai dialects and as I was part of a ghurka unit my head was fuc_ked up with ghurkhali as well,while I considered it helpful to me I started to learn thai, big joke as I was to find out years later the thai spoken in Yasothon province is a mixture of laos ,Khmer and doubledutch,when I first spoke to a thai officer he commented on my excellent pronunciation , but advised me not to use the isaan dialect when talking to city thais,as they think of it as a language of the gutter!!how do you forget the language you are using everyday and try to learn an entirely different version of the language,like with german or swiss, I learned the language first and then the dialects, but even today in Thailand my friends say Ispeak thai like a Laos Pimp !!learn the language mate ,no one will laugh at you

No I will not learn the language but thanks for the advice,I spend most of my time in oz.

Your time in Thailand must be extremely miserable and stressful, especially for those who require their wives to hold their hands, accompany them or do the bargaining, even for the simplest of purchases.

I don`t sympathise, it`s just sad.

When I first came here I was confused by the money conversion, Dollar to Baht, tired and alone. I wanted to set up internet and after unsuccessful attempts over two weeks, asked the manager of the condo I live in to help me. She asked for 8000 baht. I called my property manager who advised me to refuse the managers offer and I got it done the same day for a fraction of the price. Only because she asked, I told her what I paid and for the first time this rude woman became sheepish and for a few weeks was respectful to me. I try so hard to respect Thai culture, not hurt feelings or express anger, etc. and wish the same respect could be shown to me. Now 8 months later the same things is happening again

. This time with the water bill. Same staff member. I was quoted three different prices. I asked for a receipt and that was the end of it. My landlord pays the water bill.

• Like 1

How would she,only been staying in the soi two weeks,was her that found out as I don't speak thai.

But why don't you speak thai, it is only in your own interest to learn the language of the country you are living in, I was at a direct disadvantage, I arrived in an isaan village direct from 7months in borneo,having just trying to learn the basic,malay, Iban and sakai dialects and as I was part of a ghurka unit my head was fuc_ked up with ghurkhali as well,while I considered it helpful to me I started to learn thai, big joke as I was to find out years later the thai spoken in Yasothon province is a mixture of laos ,Khmer and doubledutch,when I first spoke to a thai officer he commented on my excellent pronunciation , but advised me not to use the isaan dialect when talking to city thais,as they think of it as a language of the gutter!!how do you forget the language you are using everyday and try to learn an entirely different version of the language,like with german or swiss, I learned the language first and then the dialects, but even today in Thailand my friends say Ispeak thai like a Laos Pimp !!learn the language mate ,no one will laugh at you

"But why don't you speak thai, it is only in your own interest to learn the language of the country you are living in,"

Noblesse oblige, so to speak.

No shame,no morals.

Someone is hyperventilating. Let's face it (pun intended), you've lost face and have concluded they were laughing at you rather than smiling with you. The village squire is found to be the local joke and your feelings are hurt.

A_Baby_With_A_Teddy_Bear_Throwing_A_Tant

I thought this was going to be about the planeloads of sex tourists coming to Thailand. I didn't realize small scale capitalist exploitation of the privileged by the proletariat was now considered SHAMEFUL and IMMORAL. Usually it's the other way 'round.

Edited by Suradit69
  • Like 1

Maybe I am naive or a bit careless about this but I can't really think of a case when I had been charged a (much higher) farang price.

Nevertheless, my Thai wife doesn't want me around when she goes to the market as she is convinced to be overcharged

by the sellers as soon as they realize that she has a farang husband.

If I go somewhere alone she instructs me to buy only from those who put a price on their goodies.

• Like 1

My daughter damaged the screen on her iPad so last week while in Market Village Hua Hin I asked how much to replace the screen to which the girl replied 3900 baht. Although I thought it was a bit high I figured my daughter gets plenty of benefit from it with all her education apps and a few games. Fortunately I didn't go ahead with it. A few days later I told my Thai wife to take it into the same shop and ask them what was wrong with it and how much to fix. Her price was 2500 baht so we had them fix it and I saved 1400 baht. They do think we are loaded and that's partly our own fault with the way some throw their money around but I always remind my wife how insulting it is and she always come out with Mai pen rai this is Thailand until we are shopping for something for her then I get instructed to keep a low profile so they don't charge her the farang price.

In most CIVILIZED countries, double-pricing is a CRIME!

I guess the US isnt civilized. Golf courses regularly charge local and tourist rates in San Diego and in Hawaii.blink.png

Civilized? rolleyes.gif I guess you're saying that Thailand isn't civilized. Or you're trolling.

Edited by jamhar

I thought "lol" meant "lots of love" but i have come across it many times in TV (including this thread) where, if it meant what I thought it meant it would be completely out of context......does "lol" have a different meaning when used on TV?

In most CIVILIZED countries, double-pricing is a CRIME!

I guess the US isnt civilized. Golf courses regularly charge local and tourist rates in San Diego and in Hawaii.blink.png

Civilized? rolleyes.gif I guess you're saying that Thailand isn't civilized. Or you're trolling.

Weak argument. Hawaii is a special case because the cost of living is disproportionately high in relation to the salaries. Therefore multiple entities offer a special "local price" designed to help locals better deal with the cost of living. Business also do this as a tool to increase gross sales You must prove you live in Hawaii to be eligible. The vast majority of businesses have but ONE price for everybody. FYI, thers no lack of wealthy hawaii residents that get the special prices.

Using your logic expats in thailand should pay less than tourists however using this very same logic expats / residing in thailand should pay the same prices as thais in most venues. In my opinion and experience (speaking,reading,writing thai) it seems usually the double pricing rationale is due to cheating and greed. Thai's commonly do it to each other also so we hsouldn' feel flattered or special LOL.

I am not familiar with san diego.

My daughter damaged the screen on her iPad so last week while in Market Village Hua Hin I asked how much to replace the screen to which the girl replied 3900 baht. Although I thought it was a bit high I figured my daughter gets plenty of benefit from it with all her education apps and a few games. Fortunately I didn't go ahead with it. A few days later I told my Thai wife to take it into the same shop and ask them what was wrong with it and how much to fix. Her price was 2500 baht so we had them fix it and I saved 1400 baht. They do think we are loaded and that's partly our own fault with the way some throw their money around but I always remind my wife how insulting it is and she always come out with Mai pen rai this is Thailand until we are shopping for something for her then I get instructed to keep a low profile so they don't charge her the farang price.

A thai friend has several businesses going on in his family. One of them is a laundry service that washes, dies and irons clothing. The thai customers that shoot the breeze with their hi-so stories get (overcharged) charged more for the same service. My friend chuckles and says "this is thai culture"

A thai friend has several businesses going on in his family. One of them is a laundry service that washes, dies and irons clothing. The thai customers that shoot the breeze with their hi-so stories get (overcharged) charged more for the same service. My friend chuckles and says "this is thai culture"

Yep, if you are going to flaunt it, you get to be a target. This is the reason my wife shoots me the look of death daggers if I ever proclaim in a store that something is cheap. She believes it is the same as asking them to charge you more.

• Like 1

Nice that you left off that the sentence you partially quoted began with an although. Perhaps you should read it again and see that I mostly agree with you.

Not every industry is the same. As a photographer I had to quote jobs to be competitive, but I certainly tried to get the best price. If I had a coffee shop, I would have one price per product.

Well, the statement I quoted was the particular one I was disagreeing with and I stand by my disagreement 100%. I see no excuse at all for any sort of flexible pricing. It is intrinsically dishonest and that's all there is to it.

If it is generally perceived that there is some compelling need for financial assistance to be given to some particular group of buyers then by all means let it happen, but let it be clearly advertised as such.

• Like 1