No shame,no morals.

Kangawallafox

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do understand double pricing policies for historic monuments and public parks etc. as I feel every Thai should be able to visit these places regardless if they have the money or not. But if I see double price policies applied in Golf Courses, Restaurants, entertainment venues that p...ed me on. If I noticed that I stop to patronize this place.

I don't punish myself out of principle. If the price is acceptable, and the product or service good, I try not to worry about what other people are paying. Otherwise, I'd never be able to fly

SC

• Like 2

Not many Thais actually charge Westerners more, just the idiots and there is the same proportion of idiots here as anywhere else.

It's just that the fact that a difference can be made based merely on ethnic differences is unbearable to us. This is perhaps the one thing we can never grow to accept.

Not many Thais actually charge Westerners more, just the idiots and there is the same proportion of idiots here as anywhere else.

It's just that the fact that a difference can be made based merely on ethnic differences is unbearable to us. This is perhaps the one thing we can never grow to accept.

I used to do the same. We would quote a price based on what the customer would pay, and how difficult they were to deal with, and what level of service they would expect. A lot of that judgement was based on their nationality, particularly for first-time customers.

SC

I have been here for many years and do speak a little Thai. I always ask how much before buying or doing anything if the price is not shown. If a price is quoted to me that appears high I question it and sometimes make a face and tell them in Thai " Really ! .... Expensive ! . Sometimes they look at me and adjust price but most of the time it is what it is. Speaking a little Thai does help prevent these things from happening as they immediately know you are not a tourist. I am sure I have been ripped off a few times but all and all I think I normally pay local prices.

When I get asked an obviously excessive price, I like to laugh loudly and walk away.

Like the songtheaw driver in Chiang Mai that wanted 60 baht for a 20 baht ride. The next one asked 40 and came down to 30. Still more than it should be, but within the acceptable range.

Yes, I sometimes do same and walk a little further and get cheaper. Taxis, tuk tuks and junk booths are all up for grabs as far as pricing goes. They always try to get what they can, not fixed price all the time. If raining like crazy I will pay more than maybe I should for a taxi just to get out of the rain. Life is too short to worry about a few baht. Food and similar items should be fixed price. But like I said, better to always ask price in Thai so they know you are local.

I used to do the same. We would quote a price based on what the customer would pay, and how difficult they were to deal with, and what level of service they would expect. A lot of that judgement was based on their nationality, particularly for first-time customers.

SC

Yes, I get that - in what you're describing, nationality is a component amongst others, taken into account based on experience and common sense as part of the sales process.

What the OP described is blunt and blind racial discrimination and we all experience it here once in a while - nothing remotely serious but irritating nonetheless.

SC

Yes, I get that - in what you're describing, nationality is a component amongst others, taken into account based on experience and common sense as part of the sales process.

What the OP described is blunt and blind racial discrimination and we all experience it here once in a while - nothing remotely serious but irritating nonetheless.

Their racism is bad, but mine is OK

• Like 2

Only shop eat drink where prices are displayed.

When there is no price, there is a reason there is no price.

Gf didnt know? I find that very hard to believe. Its very very common for gfs to participate or at least allow foreigner bf to be overcharged.

Don't say that,it's not very nice is it.

She was the one who caught them out and told me.

The varied pricing is in itself crazy. Whilst reading some of these comments, I was thinking that I wasn't over charged too much as usually where buying from a market stall, one is obliged to haggle anyway - Life of Brian. Last year (a mistake) took the family to Dream World outside Bangkok and I had to go to a different booth to buy my officially inflated falang ticket. Was told that if I could produce my work permit then I could get the Thai price ! - so always carry your work permit.

It sone thing for a small stall to try to overcharge you, but for an official organization ?????

I continue to purchase from many vendors,good positive threads get picked apart here even more so.

I once posted a positive thread about my family,normal everyday wife,then like a game of Chinese whispers she became a half Chinese hi so just because I said positive things.

She is not half Chinese or hi so but one nice word got shredded,will eat at the usual place tonight,tables on the sidewalk,looks like crap,the service and food is great.

Unlike some here,when I'm screwed over I don't just sit there and take it like a little bitch.

• Like 1

I continue to purchase from many vendors,good positive threads get picked apart here even more so. I once posted a positive thread about my family,normal everyday wife,then like a game of Chinese whispers she became a half Chinese hi so just because I said positive things. She is not half Chinese or hi so but one nice word got shredded,will eat at the usual place tonight,tables on the sidewalk,looks like crap,the service and food is great. Unlike some here,when I'm screwed over I don't just sit there and take it like a little bitch.

A number of folks have been trying to tell you in a polite way that it is only you who are getting screwed over and that is not normal in Thailand.

I think in the Southern United States of America it is considered justifiable homicide to shoot anyone who says, "that's not the way we do it up North." If it's not it should be.

Edited by thailiketoo

As I said price is not the issue,it was how nice they were being to us,everyday,then whispering to charge extra,a dog act.

They ripped you off.Have a go at them or take your business elsewhere.Call them a bunch of pricks.You said it was a dog act.You know as well as me take the lowest thing you can call someone in Australia is a dog.Ease up.Say in to the wrong person in Australia you would have the living suitcases belted out of you at the least.

As I said price is not the issue,it was how nice they were being to us,everyday,then whispering to charge extra,a dog act.

They ripped you off.Have a go at them or take your business elsewhere.Call them a bunch of pricks.You said it was a dog act.You know as well as me take the lowest thing you can call someone in Australia is a dog.Ease up.Say in to the wrong person in Australia you would have the living suitcases belted out of you at the least.

It is what it is,ripping someone off with a smile is a dog act,don't sugar coat it.

They ripped you off.Have a go at them or take your business elsewhere.Call them a bunch of pricks.You said it was a dog act.You know as well as me take the lowest thing you can call someone in Australia is a dog. Ease up.Say in to the wrong person in Australia you would have the living suitcases belted out of you at the least.

I feel that people are a little insecure, money isn't an issue for either side. The customer chooses whether to pay the asking price, which is what the trader thinks the market will stand. If I found that I had been overcharged but the coffee was still cheaper than the other shop, I would just stick with it. They overcharge you because they think that you can afford it, they are not thinking you a fool anymore than you think a buyer of a Merc. who paid 100,000 Baht more than his neighbour is a fool. There are few people who can afford to buy brewed coffee where the saving of a few Baht makes the difference between solvency and bankruptcy.

But its not really based on ethnic difference in a racist way. It's profiling. The assumption that certain ethnic groups are more likely to accept a higher price than others. Not saying its a right approach but I don't consider it immoral. It's annoying but buying is not compulsory.

I would draw the line at captive tourist attractions (not temples etc) where people might have travelled a long way only to find openly listed pricing difference for locals vs Thai. That is unacceptable business practice.

• Like 1

But its not really based on ethnic difference in a racist way. It's profiling. The assumption that certain ethnic groups are more likely to accept a higher price than others. Not saying its a right approach but I don't consider it immoral. It's annoying but buying is not compulsory.

I would draw the line at captive tourist attractions (not temples etc) where people might have travelled a long way only to find openly listed pricing difference for locals vs Thai. That is unacceptable business practice.

I'm not against thai and farang pricing,many Thais pay what we pay and they would not be able to afford it,we pay what they pay the business goes bust.

My issue was with the sly underhanded way the coffee woman does it.

I'm not against thai and farang pricing,many Thais pay what we pay and they would not be able to afford it,we pay what they pay the business goes bust.

You want to see unfair. Have a really good idea of what sly underhanded ways are? Join the Army.

You want to see unfair. Have a really good idea of what sly underhanded ways are? Join the Army.

You've never bought a sandwich at a British motorway service station have you?

• Like 2

Call them "ai heea khee gohng" in front of their regular customers. That'll teach them good and proper. They will be forced to relocate their cart which could be a major pain for them if they have found a good spot.

cheesy.gif You are a bad boy...

Too funny, I laughed out loud at your humorous sarcastic wit..

You should be on auto dial for every knicker in a twist farang like the OP.....

I bet you were laughing when typing your response and hoping he would take it seriously..

They ripped you off.Have a go at them or take your business elsewhere.Call them a bunch of pricks.You said it was a dog act.You know as well as me take the lowest thing you can call someone in Australia is a dog. Ease up.Say in to the wrong person in Australia you would have the living suitcases belted out of you at the least.

I feel that people are a little insecure, money isn't an issue for either side. The customer chooses whether to pay the asking price, which is what the trader thinks the market will stand. If I found that I had been overcharged but the coffee was still cheaper than the other shop, I would just stick with it. They overcharge you because they think that you can afford it, they are not thinking you a fool anymore than you think a buyer of a Merc. who paid 100,000 Baht more than his neighbour is a fool. There are few people who can afford to buy brewed coffee where the saving of a few Baht makes the difference between solvency and bankruptcy.

Although I agree that there is nothing wrong with setting the price to what you think the customers will pay, I do have a problem with charging more to specific people simply because they are not likely to find out. Especially with a standardized service such as a coffee cart. They are essentially stealing because the customer has the reasonable assumption that there is one price for everyone and has given the cart owners the benefit of the doubt.

The customer has every right to be outraged based on principal, although the small amount of overcharge merits only a limited response. I think the OP played it perfect.

And yes I do think people who buy extravagant cars are foolish. It is a terrible choice economically. These same people can go on and on about complicated financial issues, and pride them selves with their financial savvy. Only to toss the same cash in the bin, figuratively speaking. But we live in a consumerist world, and the desire to be one up on the Jones' is as strong a craving as a junkie's fix.

Edited by canuckamuck
  • Like 1

.... I agree that there is nothing wrong with setting the price to what you think the customers will pay, ....

I think there is a lot wrong with it. Give me shops with fixed price tags like Tesco any day over the sort of dishonest place that charges individually according to some deranged notion of what the client can afford pay. If you cant trust them to charge everyone the same fair price, can you trust them to do a good job or sell an item that isnt going to fall apart after a week?

Even when it comes to things like air-con cleaning, noodle soup, car repairs and plumbing etc etc I will go to the place that has a single published price list applicable to all and will not use a place where the owner invents the price at the spur of the moment according to whether he likes the look of you or not. There is no other way to do business as far as I'm concerned.

Edited by KittenKong
  • Like 1

.... I agree that there is nothing wrong with setting the price to what you think the customers will pay, ....

I think there is a lot wrong with it. Give me shops with fixed price tags like Tesco any day over the sort of dishonest place that charges individually according to some deranged notion of what the client can afford pay. If you cant trust them to charge everyone the same fair price, can you trust them to do a good job or sell an item that isnt going to fall apart after a week?

Even when it comes to things like air-con cleaning, noodle soup, car repairs and plumbing etc etc I will go to the place that has a single published price list applicable to all and will not use a place where the owner invents the price at the spur of the moment according to whether he likes the look of you or not. There is no other way to do business as far as I'm concerned.

Nice that you left off that the sentence you partially quoted began with an although. Perhaps you should read it again and see that I mostly agree with you.

Not every industry is the same. As a photographer I had to quote jobs to be competitive, but I certainly tried to get the best price. If I had a coffee shop, I would have one price per product.