No shame,no morals.

Kangawallafox

I love these claims made by some that they have never charged a higher price in Thailand because they are a foreigner.

Its patently total rot, but they cling to the claim in the expectation that the rest of us are dumb enough to believe it.

No foreigner who has been spending money in Thailand for more than a few weeks can reasonably claim they always charged a higher price because they are a foreigner.

Just as no foreigner who has been spending money in Thailand for more than a few weeks can reasonably claim they are never charged a higher price because they are a foreigner.

People making either of the two claims are not inhabiting the Thailand the rest of us live in - They are living in a Thailand which is a fabrication of their own imagination.

I say it again - No foreigner in Thailand is always charged a higher 'foreigner price'. - No foreigner in Thailand is never charged a higher 'foreigner price'.

Those who make such claims are simply not telling the truth.

Cool story, bro.

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kangawallafox, on 29 Dec 2013 - 08:47, said:
krisb, on 29 Dec 2013 - 08:46, said:

28 a week! Must be a dam_n fine iced coffee?

1each in the morning,then in the evening.

Too much coffee for you and your wife......cut down.

If you reduce it by 50%.....you don't have to worry about the overcharge ......and you will be healthier.

Two cups per day is too much. Say's who, beside yourself? Actually coffee is proving to be fairly healthy because of it's high levels of antioxidants. Of course, there is a point of diminishing returns, but it ain't two cups per day.

Edited by HerbalEd
  • Like 1

Overcharging farang is ripe in Thailand, at all levels. Just have a look for example at the university fees of Chulalongkorn University courses. There are separate lists for Thais and non-Thais, the fees for the latter roughly doubling those for Thais. I wonder whether anybody has ever challenged in a Thai court such blatant discrimination.

Overcharging farang is ripe in Thailand, at all levels. Just have a look for example at the university fees of Chulalongkorn University courses. There are separate lists for Thais and non-Thais, the fees for the latter roughly doubling those for Thais. I wonder whether anybody has ever challenged in a Thai court such blatant discrimination.

Physical presence within the state solely for educational purposes doesn't constitute the establishment of California residence, regardless of the length of your stay. Oh did you mean Thailand?biggrin.pngcheesy.gif

Try google in state tuition.

You mean to say that your wife didn't know you two were overcharged all this time?

How would she,only been staying in the soi two weeks,was her that found out as I don't speak thai.
But why don't you speak thai, it is only in your own interest to learn the language of the country you are living in, I was at a direct disadvantage, I arrived in an isaan village direct from 7months in borneo,having just trying to learn the basic,malay, Iban and sakai dialects and as I was part of a ghurka unit my head was fuc_ked up with ghurkhali as well,while I considered it helpful to me I started to learn thai, big joke as I was to find out years later the thai spoken in Yasothon province is a mixture of laos ,Khmer and doubledutch,when I first spoke to a thai officer he commented on my excellent pronunciation , but advised me not to use the isaan dialect when talking to city thais,as they think of it as a language of the gutter!!how do you forget the language you are using everyday and try to learn an entirely different version of the language,like with german or swiss, I learned the language first and then the dialects, but even today in Thailand my friends say Ispeak thai like a Laos Pimp !!learn the language mate ,no one will laugh at you
Why SHOULD he have to learn Thai to get Thai price, i know you're gonna say TiT, but <deleted>, Farang should get the same price anyway, whether they speak Thai or not...Du_mb-ase!!
  • Like 1

In most CIVILIZED countries, double-pricing is a CRIME!

I guess the US isnt civilized. Golf courses regularly charge local and tourist rates in San Diego and in Hawaii.blink.png

Civilized? rolleyes.gif I guess you're saying that Thailand isn't civilized. Or you're trolling.

Weak argument. Hawaii is a special case because the cost of living is disproportionately high in relation to the salaries. Therefore multiple entities offer a special "local price" designed to help locals better deal with the cost of living. Business also do this as a tool to increase gross sales You must prove you live in Hawaii to be eligible. The vast majority of businesses have but ONE price for everybody. FYI, thers no lack of wealthy hawaii residents that get the special prices.

Using your logic expats in thailand should pay less than tourists however using this very same logic expats / residing in thailand should pay the same prices as thais in most venues. In my opinion and experience (speaking,reading,writing thai) it seems usually the double pricing rationale is due to cheating and greed. Thai's commonly do it to each other also so we hsouldn' feel flattered or special LOL.

I am not familiar with san diego.

Not exactly sure what your point is. Mine is that multilevel pricing exists in a lot of places considered "civilized".

The reasons for it are irrelevant. Stop bellyaching. If you dont like it, take your ball and go home.

otherwise, grow up and deal with it.

just my 2 cents :)

I say it again - No foreigner in Thailand is always charged a higher 'foreigner price'. - No foreigner in Thailand is never charged a higher 'foreigner price'.

Those who make such claims are simply not telling the truth.

but I'm sure no foreigner in Thailand will be charged at foreigner price by this guy and his wife.

youtube.com/watch?v=Oz8P8agdHJw

the clip is in thai, please feel free to remove it as you see fit, mod.

Edited by txp158

You mean to say that your wife didn't know you two were overcharged all this time?

How would she,only been staying in the soi two weeks,was her that found out as I don't speak thai.
But why don't you speak thai, it is only in your own interest to learn the language of the country you are living in, I was at a direct disadvantage, I arrived in an isaan village direct from 7months in borneo,having just trying to learn the basic,malay, Iban and sakai dialects and as I was part of a ghurka unit my head was fuc_ked up with ghurkhali as well,while I considered it helpful to me I started to learn thai, big joke as I was to find out years later the thai spoken in Yasothon province is a mixture of laos ,Khmer and doubledutch,when I first spoke to a thai officer he commented on my excellent pronunciation , but advised me not to use the isaan dialect when talking to city thais,as they think of it as a language of the gutter!!how do you forget the language you are using everyday and try to learn an entirely different version of the language,like with german or swiss, I learned the language first and then the dialects, but even today in Thailand my friends say Ispeak thai like a Laos Pimp !!learn the language mate ,no one will laugh at you
Why SHOULD he have to learn Thai to get Thai price, i know you're gonna say TiT, but <deleted>, Farang should get the same price anyway, whether they speak Thai or not...Du_mb-ase!!

Do Thais get free health care in the UK? Do Thais get into Disney world for the same price as residents of the State? Do Thais pay the same fees as Australians for education in Australia?

I believe that's how universities in the UK make up a big proportion of their budgets. Non-EU students pay very high fees.

Perhaps I'm wrong on this, anyone care to confirm it?

When I first came to Thailand all those years ago, I looked and dressed like this gentleman . . .

can_rich_man_be_loyal_partner.jpg

I used to pay an inflation adjusted 40 Baht for a coffee back then. A trifling sum, thought nothing of it.

As the years rolled by . . . .

down-and-out06.jpg

I now pay 40 Baht for a coffee.

Isn't inflation a bitch?!!!

• Like 1

Only shop eat drink where prices are displayed.

When there is no price, there is a reason there is no price.

Gf didnt know? I find that very hard to believe. Its very very common for gfs to participate or at least allow foreigner bf to be overcharged.

I don't buy that. Perhaps if it's a local country girl. Here in Phuket, my gf often gets treated with farang prices as well, she's from BKK - and she does NOT like being overcharged.

Edited by Zumteufel

I thought "lol" meant "lots of love" but i have come across it many times in TV (including this thread) where, if it meant what I thought it meant it would be completely out of context......does "lol" have a different meaning when used on TV?

Depending on the context in which it's used, it can also mean 'Laughing out Loud'.

A higher level is ... roflmao - Rolling on Floor Laughing My Ass Off.

I thought "lol" meant "lots of love" but i have come across it many times in TV (including this thread) where, if it meant what I thought it meant it would be completely out of context......does "lol" have a different meaning when used on TV?

Depending on the context in which it's used, it can also mean 'Laughing out Loud'.

A higher level is ... roflmao - Rolling on Floor Laughing My Ass Off.

Thank you David, you'r a mine of information. Perhaps now I can sleep at night.

Your time in Thailand must be extremely miserable and stressful, especially for those who require their wives to hold their hands, accompany them or do the bargaining, even for the simplest of purchases.

No I will not learn the language but thanks for the advice,I spend most of my time in oz.

I don`t sympathise, it`s just sad.

Yes is really sad...

My question will be : ¿ Why are you are so interested to live in Thailand then ? learning their language will destroy any barrier between you and the Thai culture and will let you understand them better meaning to have an easier life.....

My friends use to ask me : Ey why you want to learn Thai if only spoken in Thailand ? My reply : How can you really understand everything that is going on without speaking their language ?

Edited by Wavnarok

No I will not learn the language but thanks for the advice,I spend most of my time in oz.

Your time in Thailand must be extremely miserable and stressful, especially for those who require their wives to hold their hands, accompany them or do the bargaining, even for the simplest of purchases.

Why are you using the fact he can't speak Thai as an excuse? And I can assure you he ain't looking for your sympathy. Go ahead and ask him?

The fact is they tried what I call "legal theft" tactics. It's a disgusting act. Even if he could speak basic thai I think they still would have attempted to charge him a premium "the stupid white man has money, he will pay" price.

Well done to the OP. Has never happened to me, but if it ever does, I would do the same thing and move on to a business with no dual pricing, cause as i see it majority are fine.

• Like 1

Why are you using the fact he can't speak Thai as an excuse? And I can assure you he ain't looking for your sympathy. Go ahead and ask him?

The fact is they tried what I call "legal theft" tactics. It's a disgusting act. Even if he could speak basic thai I think they still would have attempted to charge him a premium "the stupid white man has money, he will pay" price.

Well done to the OP. Has never happened to me, but if it ever does, I would do the same thing and move on to a business with no dual pricing, cause as i see it majority are fine.

Nice to see as usual tv m

Do the first poster,where does it say I need someone to hold my hand.

You bought it up so apart from the coffee incident,I challenge you to give some examples where I have struggled,in well over twenty countries I have done fine.

Remember this part,you said it,you made the smart mouth assumption,like you know me,like you are aware of my day to day activities,tell me examples of where I struggle without help.

If you cannot give a single one,not one,you are going to look like a fool who makes assumptions,give one example because most of my time here originally I was on my own.

I don't know the OP in this sad story, but in the 8 years I have been living in Thailand I have met a lot like him.

I used to wonder why they were constantly overcharged for certain items or services, then I realized that Thai people have an uncanny ability to suss people out and charge them accordingly. whistling.gif

Judging by the attitude of the OP in his comments on this topic, he would attract "hi-so" prices wherever he went, not just at coffee stalls.

The funny thing is that the foreigners who find out they have been charged more than the "going price" think that all Thais charge all foreigners more.

Not so, but it probably makes them feel good to think that we are all being robbed.

My advice to anyone who comes to Thailand and cannot handle the two price system, is to go home, where everyone pays the same price - VERY BLOODY HIGH ! clap2.gif

You know I wrote the price is not an issue,and you know I wrote dual pricing is not also,so why go on like I have a problem with it.

I understand the confusion however it was made quite clear that it was the fact that they were hiding it,I actually support dual pricing in over posts.

Now that you have made the assumption could you explain why,I never wrote I was against dual pricing,I'm against bs.

As for appearing hi so,you got that from one post,I was homeless as a young man,spent most of my time in Thailand in Muay Thai camps,covered in tattoos,don't think I look very hi so,would be a mistake I have f all money to speak of,lol.

• Like 1

all I was trying to say was it s too your own advantage to learn just a smidgeon of basic thai,and surely if you can afford the plane ticket from Australia you can afford an extra 2or 3bucks a week on your coffee bill,

Hence the reason I now got to the more expensive yet honest one,price was not my issue.

• Like 1

As I said price is not the issue,it was how nice they were being to us,everyday,then whispering to charge extra,a dog act.
I dont get it. Good service, good coffee yet you feel offended because locals who have been buying coffee at this shop for years probably get a discount. Plus you have no knowledge of the cost of an iced coffee? Nor does your Thai wife? Either your both daft or your wife is in cahoots with the coffee vendors in robbing you blind. Our 3 year old knows the price of an iced coffee for five cents. I say good for the vendor.

Plus you need to give more details. Is your coffee exactly the same? Same amount of coffee, size, sugar, sweet milk, instant or fresh brewed? Many reasons other than being a daft farang for getting charged extra. Or this is the normal Thursday "double pricing" troll thread being rolled out on Monday!

You have not been reading all the posts in the thread have you,that's very obvious.