In the event of an Airport Closure during the uprising ?.

jasonr3255

Advice needed,

I am due to fly out to BKK on the 7th Jan 2014 from London Heathrow - Oman - BKK, with a party of nine relatives, obviously the political situation is worsening and a Suvarnabhumi airport closure is looking more & more likely to be in full swing and fall on our arrival date the 8th Jan meaning Oman Flights cancelled. Now I don't expect Oman Air to offer an alternative route for travellers at the said closed check in on the 7th so I need to make a plan B to getting to Thailand a possibility. On the 8th there seems to be lots of flights with different airlines to Malaysia Kuala Lumpar. Now I am aware British Nationals do not require a Visa for visiting and can stay for 3 months on arrival. The help needed is

A. Where would we Journey to the Land Border in Malaysia to enter Thailand ?

B. How long would we be granted in Thailand at the proposed border crossing 15 or 30 days ?

C. 4 of the party have dual nationality, would they be better travelling on their British or Thai Passports ??

Many Thanks

Kuhn Suthep is reported in The Nation newspaper concerning the January shutdown of Bangkok today saying:

"Roads will be paralysed, but there would be no closing of airports or train stations"

You have nothing to be concerned about. HTH

Lite Beer, on 29 Dec 2013 - 14:43, said:

There are no plans to target airports.

@Aim_NT: We won't close airports or train stations, only roads and govt offices, PM's house and some ministers': Suthep.

But......he also said.....it will be NO violence.

So I would take his statements.....with a pinch of salt.

Sorry, I can't provide more constructive advice to your questions.

Had the same problem in 2008.

Airline offered (Qatar I think) flights to KL (I think other neighbouring countries as well) instead or postponement of flight. Had to pick a flight but that could be changed as well. No extra cost IIRC.

b. 30 days at land borders for UK and some other nations.

Had the same problem in 2008.

Airline offered (Qatar I think) flights to KL (I think other neighbouring countries as well) instead or postponement of flight. Had to pick a flight but that could be changed as well. No extra cost IIRC.

b. 30 days at land borders for UK and some other nations.

I am due to fly out to BKK on the 7th Jan 2014 from London Heathrow - Oman - BKK, with a party of nine relatives, obviously the political situation is worsening and a Suvarnabhumi airport closure is looking more & more likely to be in full swing and fall on our arrival date the 8th Jan meaning Oman Flights cancelled.

Me thinks you have a lot of imagination.

Our family will be flying to Don Mueang same day as your group, early afternoon, I don't worry a second, hotel pre-paid also.

Incidentally on the day the yellows closed down Suvarnabhumi we were transiting there from Phuket to Udon Thani and were in one of the last planes to get out there.

I wonder if Bangkok will be boring or not???

• Like 1

Kuhn Suthep is reported in The Nation newspaper concerning the January shutdown of Bangkok today saying: "Roads will be paralysed, but there would be no closing of airports or train stations" You have nothing to be concerned about. HTH

Do you really believe this man?

rule of thumb in politics , always plan on the opposite of what is said.

I've had similar concerns to the OP. I'm flying in on the 15th, and then have a tight(ish) run to DM to make my connection.

My gut feeling is that even if they had it in mind to do a repeat performance at the airport, they would find so much opposition to the idea that they wouldn't be able to do it. Too many people depend on the money that flows into Thailand via the airport.

I hope I'm right, anyway! unsure.png.pagespeed.ce.E7Vo3qsmeC.png

When I went to the airport on Dec 23, after turning off the highway and taking the airport exit I noticed about 50 police along with barricades and a crane to place them in one of the wide spots to the left of the road.

Looked to me like their ready to try block the road if any demonstrators try arriving en masse.

Hope it works or isn't needed, I fly back to work on Jan 4th

Hello Sir. I DO NOT THINK like many other more informed than me people here.... that you will have any need for concern. Imobiolising traffic in Bangkok causes more chaoas that closing one airport and that is the protestors goal.

BUT if you want some advice, FLY TO KL and then pick up a flight of which there are many to Chiang Mai. Then it is easy to rest (cheaply) and sort out your next move. Land transport from Chiang Mai to Bangkok is easy, air travel is frequent and to 2 airports in Bangkok and a hell of a lot nicer than being slugged in a boring city like KL.

BUT really, NO NEED TRO WORRY, things look worse than they are unless you are in the small areas being occupied. THERE ARE NOT millions protesting so dont think they will have enough bodies to close the airports even if they wanted to.

• 2 weeks later...

flying the day after, I doubt very much that the airports will be closed. As for a coup, it won't happen yet, give it a few weeks until things really heat up!

Finally touched down in Bangkok on the 8th no sign of trouble from my own view just the usual congested snake line to pass through immigration, however a couple of points I thought I might share a female Immigration officer during passport control clearly telling all staff on Monday not to wear uniform as airport seizure expected wife over heard ! So it seems Immigration staff are expecting a visit !!

Hope it's not true ! Secondly at 1am Soi 24 Sukhumvit group of guys "yellows" huddled round two pick ups, "Witnessed by myself" and conversation overheard by the wife, clearly plotting Protest sites / road blocks for that area ! Confirmed by the wife !

Let's hope it's doesn't happen ?