474 road accidents kill 86 in first 2 days of New Year holidays: Thailand

webfact

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Let's play, "Guess the total at the end of 7-days". I will say 400, since it should accelerate over the next few days.

It's IMPOSSIBLE for me to get my head around all this kind of death. if i did, i wouldn't be able to function. this is just another crazy event in the world filled of crazy events. i have no solution, not enough prayers, and I guess all i can say is keep your loved ones close. take the week off from driving, esp. on a motorbike. good luck out there. look both ways, twice

Road safety campaign Wear a helmet Don't drink n driveYaba is a no no Slow down Learn to drive first Who am I kidding? It's Thailand.

Actually, in the majority of the motorcycle accidents that I have seen, the motorcyclists were wearing helmets, were not high on drink or drugs, and could drive. Everyone had been hit by a car or bus, usually sideswiped, some rear ended, and a few hit head on. Many Thai car drivers think the roads are racing circuits, foot down and go.

• Like 2

Road safety campaign Wear a helmet Don't drink n driveYaba is a no no Slow down Learn to drive first Who am I kidding? It's Thailand.

Actually, in the majority of the motorcycle accidents that I have seen, the motorcyclists were wearing helmets, were not high on drink or drugs, and could drive. Everyone had been hit by a car or bus, usually sideswiped, some rear ended, and a few hit head on. Many Thai car drivers think the roads are racing circuits, foot down and go.

maybe a sumo suit would help

Let's play, "Guess the total at the end of 7-days". I will say 400, since it should accelerate over the next few days.

It's IMPOSSIBLE for me to get my head around all this kind of death. if i did, i wouldn't be able to function. this is just another crazy event in the world filled of crazy events. i have no solution, not enough prayers, and I guess all i can say is keep your loved ones close. take the week off from driving, esp. on a motorbike. good luck out there. look both ways, twice

Think of the Thai roads as a war zone, a "Death Race" movie, even a challenge.

maybe a sumo suit would help

No, an "Iron-man" suit.

Drove from Bangkok to Buriram yesterday. Averaged 30kmh for the whole trip. Only saw one police check point and they were not stopping people. It appeared they were not making much of an effort. There were highway police along the way but they seemed focused on managing the extra lane on the opposite side of the road that they opened heading out of Bangkok. This was a good initiative. Highway 24 was its usual mayhem. I don't know what it is about this road but people are just plain crazy. People driving on opposite side of road and inside stopping lane. You see so many stupid drivers. So long as they don't take any innocent lives with them I don't mind to see them remove themselves from the gene pool but unfortunately they always seem to be respnsible for the death of others.

The article is frightening and sad of course. What is more frightening and sad are the crude, bigoted and hateful comments by some of the readers/posters.

From their comments, they appear to be the ultimate authority of all things Thai, experts of highway/road safety, accident statisticians, motorcycle repair technicians, soothsayers, inebriates, political science majors and know-all-see-all gurus. Some seem to be able to be able to discern the truth from a mere printed article, even though their knowledge and expertise about the subject is yet to be established.

I believe these hate-mongers represent a minority of readers. The silent majority,I would guess, may only shake their heads after reading some of the juvenile, hateful and speculative postings.

• Like 2

How many of these dead were the breadwinners in the their families. No longer bringing food home to put on the table. No welfare to fall back on. The riple effect of reprocusions can be endless on these families well beings now and in the long term future.

How do the traffic police here sleep at night????

How many of these dead were the breadwinners in the their families. No longer bringing food home to put on the table. No welfare to fall back on. The riple effect of reprocusions can be endless on these families well beings now and in the long term future.

with an empty whiskey bottle and a fat wallet from a hard days takings.

• Like 1

The article is frightening and sad of course. What is more frightening and sad are the crude, bigoted and hateful comments by some of the readers/posters.

From their comments, they appear to be the ultimate authority of all things Thai, experts of highway/road safety, accident statisticians, motorcycle repair technicians, soothsayers, inebriates, political science majors and know-all-see-all gurus. Some seem to be able to be able to discern the truth from a mere printed article, even though their knowledge and expertise about the subject is yet to be established.

I believe these hate-mongers represent a minority of readers. The silent majority,I would guess, may only shake their heads after reading some of the juvenile, hateful and speculative postings.

Some valid points in your post!thumbsup.gif

BUT, then according to you, we should not post at all or we would have 100 identical posts saying "RIP, our thoughts are with the family"

If just one or two of the Thai Thaivisamembers reading our stupid replies start to think about a possible solution to the roadcarnage, then we have accomplished something!coffee1.gif

• Like 1

Quite easily. The furthest thought from their minds is "I am a traffic officer whose job is to help save lives on the roads."

with an empty whiskey bottle and a fat wallet from a hard days takings.

As a long time resident in this lovely country how can you be so cynical?

Wait...wait... does the answer lie in my question??whistling.gif

Made my day!!

• Like 2

How do you come to the conclusion that anonymous critical posts are more frightening and sad than the OP road toll of deaths and injuries? Also roughly one in six vehicles checked required some reported action by the police against the owner/driver.

Edited by simple1

it is really so much different than any other day?

they just pay attention to now and songkran ...

26.000 deaths a year, you dont get that in one week or one month

it is a consistent nr1 hit overhere

do they learn anything from it ?

well, look at the numbers, and i would say: i guess not ....

• Like 1

Everyone seems to concentrate on the car/truck/bus deaths & accidents, but around 82% of the deaths/accidents involve motorcycles...probably drunk motorcycle drivers with no helmets zipping along a country road. I know for me here in western Bangkok I rarely see a serious vehicle accidents that obviously killed/hurt people...but I see plenty of minor to medium low speed rear end collisions because of the constant tailgating....I think most Thai's consider maintaining a couple of car length distances from the person in front of them as being a crime against humanity and they just don't do it. I still waiting for the day someone rear-ends my SUV...it's just a matter of time...came close many times already with people tailgating and not paying full attention.

I sure know when I'm driving around in the provinces on the back roads it's the land of motorcycles, no helmets, all age groups riding motorcycles with some of the age groups being young kids or really old folks...and I expect many have no license. And of course it's very common to see old motorcycles loaded down with a whole family of dad, mom, and a couple of kids...and of course none of them wearing helmets.

Since when did not wearing a helmet cause an accident?

But why are you more concerned about attacking the readers/posters than criticising the ridiculously low driving standards in this country?

Think about the four mums in England who each lost their sons in that bus crash and who have since embarked on a very aggressive campaign to inform the world about the dangers on Thailand's roads.

Would you call those 4 mums ´ hate-mongers “ as well ?

• Like 2