Immigration On-Line Queue System V.2

Tywais

• 2 months later...

Given that for various reasons I am too late to use the on-line booking system and it is quite a long way from home to Chiang Mai; can anyone offer some advice as to:

the best day to turn up and queue in the old fashioned way

what time should wife and I arrive at Immigration Office

is there some informal queue system for early arrivals or does one just camp by the door and prepare to charge in

where does one now obtain the ‘queue number’ – is there still a guy standing in the corner or do we get the ticket from the main enquiries counter ?

I've got a queue online appointment for the 16th of may at 10.00 hours , I want to cancel it , but it not possible anymore I saw , so any takers ? Can give the code to any of you , not sure if you can change the reason and name online .....

For in return , I want a new appointment from half July till Aug 3 , they are fully booked.......nice exchange....preferably ....I'm not kidding , if no exchange possible ,one of you are lucky .pm me .

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

With 11th August now being declared a national holiday I guess there will be at least 10 pissed off people who perhaps are not even aware that their appointments are now useless?

At least I think that is the case?

• Like 2

With 11th August now being declared a national holiday I guess there will be at least 10 pissed off people who perhaps are not even aware that their appointments are now useless?

At least I think that is the case?

It's certainly a bummer for anyone who is renewing on the final day of their extension and doesn't read or think about the extra holiday. For those that know they can at least join the 6am queue up to 30 days prior.

• 3 weeks later...

How do you cancel a queue on line appiontment

Is this possible?

Yes as I did it a few weeks ago. I made an appointment for September but decided later to make it at a later date to be sure the paperwork from the university would be complete.

//Edit - seems something has changed since I did it as I can't find a way to cancel now. huh.png

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

My extension based on work and WP expires at the end of this month. Got an online queue # 100 days ago for 9:30AM this morning. Prefer that time as the early crowd thins out a bit and gives me time to head over directly to Labor department for my WP.

Arrived around 9:15 for the 9:30 queue and went to the center window to let the lovely uni girls know I'm there. wink.png She checked my passport, talked to an IO and asked for me to have a seat. Got called around 9:40-9:45 and a different IO from the one that has done my extension for the last few years. This one with very short, nearly military grade, hair and office in the far back behind the back wall. She was very pleasant though and chatted me up, saw my TM6 and look of surprise and said that is very old (1994) and laughed. Asked about my family, and surprised I had been here so long and never left the country and if I miss the US. Short answer, no - my family (Thai) and my career is here. smile.png

Thumbed through my stack of university documents, stamp, stamp, stamp and about 10 minutes done and dusted. Except...about 1.5 hour wait for the head honcho to sign off on it. Place wasn't heaving as could find a seat with no problem but still pretty full. I find things easier and more relaxing by just giving a smile to the officers and girl assistants and making their life easier and get a smile back. See some go in with frowns and attitude but still the IOs keep professional and calm.

One of the least stressful extensions I've done in a long time.

• Like 1

It pays to arrive early for your appointment. Actually, it pays just to show up! I had a 10:00 AM appointment today and arrived around 8:55. At 9 AM they paged an American several times, and then another American, and then myself. I walked out with my visa renewed at 9:35, well ahead of my appointment time. Apparently people are making appointments and not showing up, so arrive early and have all your documents ready, and take advantage of the no-shows. In eight years, this was definitely the fastest renewal and they have obviously made improvements to the process. Just too bad some people are abusing the appointment system and not showing up.

• Like 1

Over 6 years I have had mostly good experiences in the CM Immigration office and certainly plan to continue without an agent, however, the times that have been a pain were when I just happened to be there when foreigners before me had no idea about the process including having the wrong form, or not filling it out correctly, and having the counter staff to complete if for them.

I have mentioned before that there is an increasing number of Japanese , Chinese and Korean, who obviously reside here, as they were attempting to get through the 90 day procedure ,that's when the log jam can start. I suggested before that a "help" desk needs to be set up outside the entrance door to sort the problem out before they reach the counter.

As for people not turning up for on line appointments that's just sheer ignorance and will continue.

If one is organised and carry multiple photo copies of the relevant passport pages etc in a folder that too makes life a lot easier. 50 satang a page at most photo copy shops.

I think the whole process, for staff and applicants, could run a lot smoother with the aid of a bit of common sense and consideration for others.

• Like 1

Over 6 years I have had mostly good experiences in the CM Immigration office and certainly plan to continue without an agent, however, the times that have been a pain were when I just happened to be there when foreigners before me had no idea about the process including having the wrong form, or not filling it out correctly, and having the counter staff to complete if for them.

I have mentioned before that there is an increasing number of Japanese , Chinese and Korean, who obviously reside here, as they were attempting to get through the 90 day procedure ,that's when the log jam can start. I suggested before that a "help" desk needs to be set up outside the entrance door to sort the problem out before they reach the counter.

As for people not turning up for on line appointments that's just sheer ignorance and will continue.

If one is organised and carry multiple photo copies of the relevant passport pages etc in a folder that too makes life a lot easier. 50 satang a page at most photo copy shops.

I think the whole process, for staff and applicants, could run a lot smoother with the aid of a bit of common sense and consideration for others.

Agreed. A few copies of each page is certainly not expensive and they did want a copy of all my exits and entries for the last year which was a bit of a change from just a copy of the last entry. A little preparation goes a long way there.

My extension based on work and WP expires at the end of this month. Got an online queue # 100 days ago for 9:30AM this morning. Prefer that time as the early crowd thins out a bit and gives me time to head over directly to Labor department for my WP.

Arrived around 9:15 for the 9:30 queue and went to the center window to let the lovely uni girls know I'm there. wink.png She checked my passport, talked to an IO and asked for me to have a seat. Got called around 9:40-9:45 and a different IO from the one that has done my extension for the last few years. This one with very short, nearly military grade, hair and office in the far back behind the back wall. She was very pleasant though and chatted me up, saw my TM6 and look of surprise and said that is very old (1994) and laughed. Asked about my family, and surprised I had been here so long and never left the country and if I miss the US. Short answer, no - my family (Thai) and my career is here. smile.png

Thumbed through my stack of university documents, stamp, stamp, stamp and about 10 minutes done and dusted. Except...about 1.5 hour wait for the head honcho to sign off on it. Place wasn't heaving as could find a seat with no problem but still pretty full. I find things easier and more relaxing by just giving a smile to the officers and girl assistants and making their life easier and get a smile back. See some go in with frowns and attitude but still the IOs keep professional and calm.

I was exactly 1 hour behind you. Had the same experience as you. The lass on the front desk was terrific, & the same IO you had was so great at her job, real positive attitude. Very chatty & she even said I looked far too young for a retirement extension giggle.gif

It's the hat. biggrin.png

Geez even doing the hansum man thing at CMI

Edited by uptheos
  • Like 2

I was exactly 1 hour behind you. Had the same experience as you. The lass on the front desk was terrific, & the same IO you had was so great at her job, real positive attitude. Very chatty & she even said I looked far too young for a retirement extension giggle.gif

I wonder if anyone here has actually married one of the Girls in Brown? That would come in handy!

I had a real ordinary experience getting a re-entry permit a month ago, some grumpy old dyke, who insisted I write my phone number (again) next to my photo, when I had already written it on the back page bottom of the form with my email, since there is nowhere to 'officially' put these anyway! I think she was just pissed off that she 'missed' it on her first take, which I wordlessly pointed out, and needed me to 'respect her authoritah!'

And why the photo if they then take a photo themselves? Maybe they are transitioning to electronic imaging, and the need for a picture just about every time you show up, will be a thing of the past, we live in fervent hope!

It was a surprise to get a cranky ossifer, as this has not been the case before. Also, my first experience with the booking system was a failure, fully booked over a number of 'midnight vigils' and/or giving me 'fault' responses. I gave up and joined the early birds 'queue within a queue'.

I'd only use an agent if I am unable in some way to make it there myself, even though it's a pretty drab experience... I reckon the agents earn their money. Come to think of it so to the staff, it's a shame the culture does not encourage upward feedback, as the problems would probably be ironed out in six weeks, nationwide...

I will take the recent advice posted here, and try the firefox browser next year. I have had issues on an unrelated website using chrome, that firefox blitzed, so I know a browser can make all the difference, but not if the slots are booked anyway!

Finally, why only ten slots? They should either go all electronic, like Singapore's immigration booking system, or not at all. Singapore also don't let you abuse the system, if you don't cancel your amended booking, you are charged twice, once for the no-sho, and the 'new' booking! They 'charge your card' at the time of booking, another time saver, as govt. fees are non-refundable on rejection everywhere.

For the record, although Singapore has a great 'front end' service, and a huge multistory edifice, it is just as chaotic and crowded, and their staff, while polite, are distant and robotic in that uniquely Singaporean way, and unable to think outside the box if anything out of the ordinary crops up. For all the gripes, Thais usually do come through with a way to 'get around' niggles, and if it's really your lucky day at CMI, you may even get to flirt with a personable young woman in uniform... :-)

A Thai friend who is surprisingly frank about a lot of things which *I'm endlessly told* Thais either won't discuss, or can't 'understand', says computerization in Government and quasi government agencies is resisted tooth and nail here because:

a) Less job slots for extended family members and cool.png Less manual ways for paws to dip into the honeypot.

For my part I reckon hundreds of natty 'Top Gun' style uniform shops would go out of business too.

I never realized so many chubby female water board clerks were of 'Commander' rank, had apparently flown combat missions, and some even got combat jump wings too!? Only in Thailand.

Edited by dhream

Finally, why only ten slots? They should either go all electronic, like Singapore's immigration booking system, or not at all. Singapore also don't let you abuse the system, if you don't cancel your amended booking, you are charged twice, once for the no-sho, and the 'new' booking! They 'charge your card' at the time of booking, another time saver, as govt. fees are non-refundable on rejection everywhere.

I'm not sure anyone knows how to cancel in Chiang Mai.

There's certainly been lots of questions but the closest I've seen is, "go to immigration and tell them".

Not really easy if you're touring Europe for a few months.

• 1 month later...

Hi All - just wanted to update you on how things are at CM immigration these days based on this morning and afternoon's experience. We were getting two Educational visas for my kids and two Guardian visas for my wife and I.

First, fuggedabout the online queueing system unless you're exactly 100 days before the date you need to go as others have stated. And for a family of four as we are, it wouldn't be relevant anyway since at best we'd tie up the entire morning for four separate appointments as well as depriving everyone else of the opportunity. So we had to do it the old fashioned way and line up.

Got to the office at 5.40 AM - and was eventually able to get queue position 46! It's Valentino Rossi's number in MotoGP, but that is about the only fast thing that I can relate it to. When we finally got called inside the office, we were given positions 40-44 (240 to 244) for the type of visas we needed, and told to come back around 2 PM. So I left and was able to get back home on Nimman by 8.30 AM.

Back to the office at 1.00 PM and they were still working through the queue - seems no lunch break like they used to take before. By the afternoon anyone wanting a tourist visa or re-entry visa was able to just walk up and submit them, but the longer and more complicated stuff was backed up and moving slow. We finally got called around 3.10 PM, and were able to get my two kids' paperwork done by 4.30 PM, with ours having to be sorted tomorrow morning. The nice guy who speaks really good English took pity on us and processed our kids' Re-Entry Permits and 90-day Reports even though they properly should have told us they couldn't since it was already 4.30 PM. But we're back again tomorrow morning for my wife and I's. By the time we left at 5 PM, they were on number 53.

So they're basically able to do about 53 or so people in a day for Retirement, Educational or Guardian visas, and if you're there at 6 AM you'll be lucky to get the last few numbers. After that, might as well not even show up. I feel sorry for the people working in that office, who started arriving for work at 6.30 AM and were still all sitting there with lots of people to process when we left at 5 PM. They're doing the best they can, but with the changes in the rules, it's clear that there's now a mismatch between the capacity of the office to process the needed long-term Non-Immigrant Visas. Great for those on a Tourist Visa or needing a Re-Entry Permit though. Very frustrating and long day and not finished yet.

• Like 1

Thought Thai Visa folks would be interested in this dilemma:
at 0002 I waited for a fresh batch of openings on day 100
for my retirement extension.
I filled out the form and sent it and it kept coming back
to resubmit the security code. After submitting three times
differrent codes, and triple checking the codes,
it still would not accept the info.
I then did a page refresh to start all over again from scratch,
just glad to see openings this time, and then when the site
refreshed the page, all openings were taken. Reserved on all slots.
I almost fell out of my chair. I am going to have my wife
call Immigration tomorrow, since she stayed up with me and
saw it happen, and see what is going on with the online que system.

Will let you know what we find out

Had a similar experience a while ago.

Well, yes my favorite spot was taken than but I got an alternative.

What I learnt from this:

A couple of seconds before midnight refresh your screen so you have a clear start at 00:00:01.

I was in Japan, about two weeks ago, and had to get up at 0200 hours in the morning to reserve a time slot on the Thai immigration calendar. I experienced the same as you. After filling out the time and required information, I would receive a message my information wasn't being accepted. When I would refresh the page, I couldn't help notice the time slots were being reserved by other people. After about 15 minutes of this nonsense, I finally ended up with a time slot for my one year renewal.

The ability to reserve a time slot online is a very good idea. It would be a nightmare for us if it were ever discontinued. You would think immigration would make sure this site works properly. Chiang Mai is a wonderful place to live for many reasons but if anything ends up making me move from this wonderful country, it will be immigration with their nonsensical procedures.

I have a slot for 20th nov which was wrongly timed.

....I already have my retirement extension now.

When I look at the site I don't see any way to cancel, and their "contact us" seems to be a forum which has only EVER had one post so doubt it's looked at.

Any ideas what to do other than go past the office?

I feel it unfair....and maybe problematic....to pass on my appointment number, but it seems a shame the slot gets wasted.

Edited by cheeryble
  • Like 1