Soy milk vs Cow's milk

beau thai

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some excellent advice here - very pleasing. Cow's milk is for cows, and does not provide a good balance for humans. And that is before you have all the processing that makes it even more unhealthy. Checkout Truth or Dairy - John McDougall for some stats. Soy milk is also processed and therefore not healthy esp for hormones as mentioned. Fermented soy very good - processed soy avoid be careful of tofu. Coconut milk excellent. Black sesame best for calcium. OP, why do you need milk in your diet?

• Like 2

I've been looking into this subject for a couple of months and I have to say I don't have much conclusion information! Like you say, a lot of stuff online is not based on fact. I went for about 6 months on Soy milk and then read that it actually wasn't all that great for you and then went back to cows milk.

I have a friend in the UK who is a nutritionist and his advice was to avoid both cows milk and soy milk as they are both so heavily processed that they really aren't that good for you. He suggested to try almond milk as a better alternative. Like the OP, I would interested to hear other peoples take on this subject.

At the moment, I've cut out both cows and soy milk from my diet.

I enjoy them both. Have not found problem with either. Both, Yummy Yummy. Though there is no denying it isn't the same for everyone. Have son is graduated nutritionist. I was his teached before he went to college. CAP -PhD USA ret

Happy New Year

Another opinion, but to the holistic health zealots, brown rice milk is better than either of these and is available here.

How is the price of rice milk compared to soy or cow milk /

Available at major supermarkets ?

Brown rice are available in supermarkets.

While cooking your rice, you can extract its milk while boiling.

You can make your own brown rice milk!

• Like 1

And nothing wrong with organic whole milk from grass-fed cows. But we don't have that here.

I think Thai-Danish is 100% fresh milk from grass fed cows.

http://scandasia.com/thai-danish-milk-company-enters-asean-market/

Can be 100% but anything that are claimed fresh that kept for a long period of time have sodium benzoate. Sodium prolongs the life of the milk but they are hazardous to health.

I've been looking into this subject for a couple of months and I have to say I don't have much conclusion information! Like you say, a lot of stuff online is not based on fact. I went for about 6 months on Soy milk and then read that it actually wasn't all that great for you and then went back to cows milk.

I have a friend in the UK who is a nutritionist and his advice was to avoid both cows milk and soy milk as they are both so heavily processed that they really aren't that good for you. He suggested to try almond milk as a better alternative. Like the OP, I would interested to hear other peoples take on this subject.

'At the moment, I've cut out both cows and soy milk from my diet'. That's interesting-was that your nutritionists advice? I thought cutting out both might be the worst of all worlds-do you use some other milk substitute? Like brown rice milk suggested by Ulysses, which I will now attempt to investigate..

Yes, on the advice of my nutrionist friend. He reckons truly organic cows milk is the best but is obviously difficult to get hold of in Thailand. He says to stay away from processed stuff completely and reckons that almond milk (which he drinks himself) is a good alternative.

All animals stop drinking milk after they've been weined, humans are the only ones that continue to drink milk. Humans are the only ones that drink milk other than their own. The calcium need in humans is a lie dreamed up by the American Dairymans Association in the 1950's, by a study they paid for to lie about how much calcium we humans need. Cows milk is much to high in hormons and not fit for humans. Same as the lie about all the protien in meat, another paid off lie study by the US Cattlemans Association. Do your homework and search it on the web.

This is what I've been told too.

• Like 1

I've recently started drinking goat milk and find it to be more easily digestible than any of the others mentioned here. I buy canned condensed goat milk and drink it in the evening before bed. I have a hyatal hernia and quite bad GERD and the goat milk really puts my stomach at ease!

• Like 1

They have it at Rimping, but it is imported, organic and expensive. I used to get the home made stuff at the Vegetarian Council (kind of) near Airport Plaze and it was very cheap.

Thanks for your input Ulysses-seems that Rice Milk is very low on Protein and high on carbs but great for cholestorol. Seems you can make it at home but its a chore. Can you give me directions please to the place near Airport Plaza that sells it. Save me wandering around that area like a lost soul.....

I do not know how to use Google maps and am not good with directions, so take this with a grain of salt. If I remember correctly. there is a road that runs North to South from RAM Hospital straight into Airport Plaza. If you go about halfway between those two points on that road on the same side of the road as RAM Hospital, there is a sign that says something like "Vegetarian Council" with lots and lots of vegetarian cooked foods and products inside.

Good luck with figuring out who sells brown rice milk, but I did it, so you can too.

Yes you are right it is on that road about half way between the South West corner of the moat and the airport Mall. It is right next to a service station on the south side of it. I think it is closed on Mondays.

There ia only the one service center on that stretch of road so you can't miss it. It is an interesting place food is really cheap and you wash your own dishes. Lots of other information there for vegetarians.

I have been there a couple of times and find the food OK. I took a friend one day who is capable of being a food critique but eats most any thing weather it is 5 star or off a food cart.

His comment was every one should eat there once. In all the placwes we have eaten that was the only time I had heard him say any thing negative about it.

Edited by northernjohn

I've recently started drinking goat milk and find it to be more easily digestible than any of the others mentioned here. I buy canned condensed goat milk and drink it in the evening before bed. I have a hyatal hernia and quite bad GERD and the goat milk really puts my stomach at ease!

Interesting - never gave goat's milk (or cheese) much thought before.

My body doesn't like neither soy nor cow's milk. Ideally we'd all be drinking human milk, but that seems to be in very short supply.

Related:

The dangers of dairy products

The dangers of soy

Harvard researchers launch Healthy Eating Plate:

healthy-eating-plate-web1000.jpg

Some excellent advice here - very pleasing. Cow's milk is for cows, and does not provide a good balance for humans. And that is before you have all the processing that makes it even more unhealthy. Checkout Truth or Dairy - John McDougall for some stats. Soy milk is also processed and therefore not healthy esp for hormones as mentioned. Fermented soy very good - processed soy avoid be careful of tofu. Coconut milk excellent. Black sesame best for calcium. OP, why do you need milk in your diet?

Interesting outlook on the milk situation. Cow milk is for cows.

We are humans so should we be drinking human milk? I don't think there is a big supply of it.

Interesting - never gave goat's milk (or cheese) much thought before.

My body doesn't like neither soy nor cow's milk. Ideally we'd all be drinking human milk, but that seems to be in very short supply.

Related:

The dangers of dairy products

The dangers of soy

Harvard researchers launch Healthy Eating Plate:

healthy-eating-plate-web1000.jpg

Looked good until it said avoid bacon.sad.png

'At the moment, I've cut out both cows and soy milk from my diet'. That's interesting-was that your nutritionists advice? I thought cutting out both might be the worst of all worlds-do you use some other milk substitute? Like brown rice milk suggested by Ulysses, which I will now attempt to investigate..

Sorry, I haven't read many replies but.

Answer this, what mammal consumes milk after it is weaned?

Milk is just a convenient food. Cows milk contains casein, a protein 300 times harder to digest than human mothers milk.

In the early posts a nutritionist was quoted as saying that both cow and soy are to be avoided, research that I have read would agree.

Soy has chemicals that mimic the female hormone estrogen - not for men please and not good for the ladies as it happens.

I was brought up on cows milk and I guess I'm addicted to it.

BUT, we got raw milk in those days.

Now its homogonised, means that the fats in the milk are broken down into such tiny globules that they can never recombine, no cream floating on the top.

Its pasteurised, means any beneficial bacteria are killed.

There are trace amounts of antibiotics in the milk as a by product of milk production.

The acceptable levels of blood and PUS allowed in milk is horrendous.

Oh I wish I could give the stuff up!

This is from http://wakeup-world.com/2012/05/21/httpwww-naturalhealthstrategies-comdangers-of-soy-html/

The Dangers of Soy Are Real–and Much Worse Than You Might Think
Share This

soyMilk-300x232.jpg21st May 2012

By naturalhealthstrategies.com

Promoting soy foods as health foods while ignoring the dangers of soy and soy derivatives should be considered a crime against humanity. If you think this statement is too extreme, read this article to the end, and then see what you think!

The dangers of soy are thoroughly documented in the scientific literature, which makes it hard to believe that many health and fitness communities and counselors, and most health food stores, still promote soy products as ultra-healthy foods.

Hopefully this harmful misrepresentation of soy foods will begin to change as the dangers of soy become better known.

A Summary of the Dangers of Soy

- Soybeans and soy products contain high levels of phytic acid, which inhibits assimilation of calcium, magnesium, copper, iron, and zinc.

- Soaking, sprouting, and long, slow cooking do not neutralize phytic acid.

- Diets high in phytic acid have been shown to cause growth problems in children.

- Trypsin inhibitors in soy interfere with protein digestion and may causepancreatic disorders.

- Test animals showed stunted growth when fed trypsin inhibitors from soy.

- The plant estrogens found in soy, called phytoestrogens, disrupt endocrine function, that is, the proper functioning of the glands that produce hormones, and have the potential to cause infertility as well as to promote breast cancer in adult women.

- Hypothyroidism and thyroid cancer may be caused by soy phytoestrogens.

- Infant soy formula has been linked to autoimmune thyroid disease.

- Soy has been found to increase the body’s need for vitamin B12 and vitamin D.

- Fragile soy proteins are exposed to high temperatures during processing in order to make soy protein isolate and textured vegetable protein, making them unsuitable for human digestion.

- This same process results in the formation of toxic lysinoalanine andhighly carcinogenic nitrosamines. (Doesn’t sound like anything anyone would want to eat, does it?)

- MSG, (also called free glutamic acid), a potent neurotoxin, is formed during soy food processing. Many soy products have extra MSG added as well. (See video on the dangers of Aspartame, MSG’s chemical first cousin.)

- Soy foods contain elevated levels of toxic aluminum, which negatively effects the nervous system the kidneys and has been implicated in the onset of Alzheimer’s.

If this list of the dangers of soy isn’t enough to make you run out the door of your local health food store, keep reading. It gets worse.

Feeding Babies Infant Soy Formula Is Like Giving Them Birth Control Pills

- It’s been found that babies given infant soy formulas have 13,000 to 22,000 times more estrogen than babies fed milk-based formulas.

- Babies fed exclusively on infant soy formula are receiving the estrogenic equivalent (based on body weight) of at least four or five birth control pills per day! You read that right. Four or five birth control pills per day! Here’s the reference so you can check this out for yourself. [irvine, C. et al., "The Potential Adverse Effects of Soybean Phytoestrogens in Infant Feeding", New Zealand Medical Journal May 24, 1995, p. 318.] By contrast, dairy-based infant formula contains almost no phytoestrogens, nor does human milk, even when the mother eats soy products. (Sally Fallon & Mary G. Enig, Ph.D.)

- There has been an increase of delayed physical maturation among boys, including lack of development of sexual organs.

- Conversely, many girls today show signs of puberty, such as breast development and pubic hair, before the age of eight, and some even before the age of three.

- Both of these abnormal conditions have been linked to the use of soy formulas as well as to exposure to “environmental estrogens” such as PCBs (polychlorinated biphenyls) and DDE (dichlorodiphenyldichloroethylene)a breakdown product of DDT.

Would you want to knowingly expose your tiny infant to the dangers of soy formula?

But Don’t Oriental Cultures Eat Lots of Soy?

It seems that historically, Oriental cultures consumed mostly traditionally fermented soy products such as miso, tempeh, natto, shoyu and tamari. (Tofu is not fermented, and falls into the dangerous soy foods category.) They consumed these soy foods in small amounts, as a condiment.

- Soy foods account for only 1.5 percent of calories in the Chinese diet, researchers found. (1977 Chang KC)

- The actual soybean consumed today is not the same one used by traditional Oriental cultures.

Problems with Soy Protein Isolate

- Furthermore, modern soy foods are very different from those consumed traditionally in Asia. Most are made with soy protein isolate (SPI), which is a protein-rich powder extracted by an industrial process from the waste product of soy oil manufacturing. It is the industry’s way of making a profit on a waste product. The industry spent over 30 years and billions of dollars developing SPI.

- In feeding studies, SPI caused many deficiencies in rats. That soy causes deficiencies in B12 and zinc is widely recognized, but the range of deficiencies was surprising.

- Although SPI is added to many foods, it was never granted GRAS status, meaning “Generally Recognized as Safe”. The FDA only granted GRAS status to SPI for use as a binder in cardboard boxes. During the processing of soy, many additional toxins are formed, including nitrates (which are carcinogens) and a toxin called lysinoalanine. It was concerns about lysinoalanine in SPI that led the FDA to deny GRAS status for SPI as a food additive.

- In spite of all these dangers of soy protein isolate, SPI is the basic ingredient of soy infant formula. The FDA even allows a health claim for foods containing 6.25 grams SPI per serving.

Scientific Studies Showing Adverse Effects of Dietary Soy

The Weston Price Foundation has a list of studies carried out from 1971 to 2003 showing the adverse effects of dietary soy.

To give you an idea of how condemning these studies are, here are just a few summaries. There are over 50 more!

Fort P and others. Breast feeding and insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus in children. J Am Coll Nutr 1986;5(5):439-441. Twice as many soy-fed children developed diabetes as those in a control group that was breast fed or received milk-based formula. It was based on this study that the American Academy of Pediatrics took a position of opposition to the use of soy infant formula. This objection was later dropped after the AAP received substantial grants from the Infant Formula Council. 1994
Hawkins NM and others. Potential aluminium toxicity in infants fed special infant formula. J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr 1994;19(4):377-81 (1994).Researchers found aluminum concentrations of 534 micrograms/L in soy formula, as compared to 9.2 micrograms/L in breast milk. The authors concluded that infants may be at risk from aluminium toxicity when consuming formula containing more than 300 micrograms/L. 1999
Sheehan DM and Doerge DR, Letter to Dockets Management Branch (HFA-305) February 18, 1999. A strong letter of protest from two government researchers at the National Center for Toxicological Research urging that soy protein carry a warning label rather than a health claim. 1999
White L. Association of High Midlife Tofu Consumption with Accelerated Brain Aging. Plenary Session #8: Cognitive Function, The Third International Soy Symposium, Program, November 1999, page 26. An ongoing study of Japanese Americans living in Hawaii found a significant statistical relationship between two or more servings of tofu per week and “accelerated brain aging.” Those participants who consumed tofu in mid life had lower cognitive function in late life and a greater incidence of Alzheimer’s and dementia. 2001
Strom BL and others. Exposure to soy-based formula in infancy and endocrinological and reproductive outcomes in young adulthood. JAMA 2001 Nov 21;286(19):2402-3. Although reported in the media as a vindication of soy infant formula, the study actually found that soy-fed infants had more reproductive problems and more asthma as adults.

The FDA Had the Scientific Information about the Dangers of Soy but Chose to Ignore It

You might think that people probably just didn’t know about the toxic effects of soybeans, that the food industry and the FDA must have just been misinformed about the supposed benefits, and very real dangers, of soy. Unfortunately for the FDA’s credibility, this was not the case.

If you simply do a search on ‘soybean’ at the Poisonous Plant Database of the United States FDA’s Center for Food Safety and Applied Nutrition, you can see this information yourself.

Right there in black and white you’ll find 288 studies on soy, many focused on the toxic properties and effects of soybeans. It’s not very easy to understand or get access to the actual studies, but it is cause for great concern that the FDA had this information and knowingly chose to ignore the dangers, just as it has done with so many other additives and pharmaceuticals.

It’s tragic to think of the human suffering that could have been avoided had the FDA just been more cautious and listened to their scientific advisors.

And it’s mind-boggling to think that the very federal agency whose mandate is, among other things, “to promote and protect the public health, to monitor products for continued safety after they are in use, and to help the public get the accurate, science-based information needed to improve health,” could knowingly do the apparent opposite.

This is one more example that highlights the need to educate yourself by finding good sources of information to base your health and diet decisions on, rather than relying on the FDA’s stamp of approval.

More Confirmation on the Dangers of Soy: Medical Conditions Possibly Attributable to Soy Consumption

• Asthma
  • Chronic Fatigue
  • Depression
  • Diabetes
  • Heart Arrhythmia
  • Heart or Liver Disease
  • Infertility/Reproductive Problems
  • Irritable Bowel Syndrome
  • Learning Disabilities/ADD/ADHD
  • Pancreatic Disorders
  • Premature or Delayed Puberty
  • Rheumatoid Arthritis
  • Thyroid Conditions:
  • Auto-Immune Thyroid Disorders (Graves’ or Hashimoto’s Disease)
  • Goiter
  • Hypothyroidism
  • Hyperthyroidism
  • Thyroid Nodules
  • Thyroid Cancer
  • Other thyroid disorders
  • Uterine Cancer
  • Weight Gain
  • Weston Price Foundation

Symptoms of Disorders Possibly Attributable to Soy

• Always feeling cold or warm
  • Anemia
  • Behavioral problems
  • Brittle nails
  • Eczema
  • Hair thinning or loss
  • Hyperactivity
  • Learning deficiencies
  • Lethargy or low blood pressure
  • Sore bones and joints
  • Watery or swelling eyes

Do You Still Think We’re Exaggerating the Dangers of Soy?

When there is a pretty good possibility that something is harmful, as is the case with soy, common sense dictates that it’s better to avoid it!

The corporations who make billions from selling soy would like us to believe that until the dangers of soy are proven beyond a shadow of a doubt, we shouldn’t worry about them. This reminds me of Russian roulette: if a gun had a hundred chambers, and only one was loaded, I wouldn’t risk putting it to my head and pulling the trigger. Would you?

Or, as Roger Eichman, DDS, succinctly summed up the precautionary principle: “The precautionary principle requires action once the possibility of harm exists. It does not require proof beyond a shadow of a doubt.”

There’s more than enough sound scientific evidence to convince me. I used to think soy was a good dietary choice, but not anymore. I quit eating it a long time ago.

For more information about the dangers of soy, go to the Weston Price Foundation.

High Soy Rations Torture Prisoners: Nutrition Expert Asks Obama to Intervene

Source - naturalhealthstrategies.com

This is from http://wakeup-world.com/2012/05/21/httpwww-naturalhealthstrategies-comdangers-of-soy-html/

The Dangers of Soy Are Real–and Much Worse Than You Might Think
Share This

Hey! Let's take a previously posted link, repost it, and copy & paste the whole internet while we are there! w00t.gif.pagespeed.ce.fUUOmDCInI.gif

My Grand mother drank cows milk every day,only made it to 98 years of age and my Grandfather too,he passed away at 93.Dreadful stuff,thank goodness soy milk wasn't heard of back then and oh they both smoked unfiltered cigarettes most of their lives.

Milk is for babies and children, not for adults as many different ethnic groups have digestion problems, and it is chock full of carbs

which easily turn to sugar and then fat stored in your body. Soy milk is not dairy, is a good source of protein which does not usually turn

to body fat, and minerals. Lactasoy is a brand name we see, and is much higher in carbs-would not be my choice.

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/legumes-and-legume-products/4387/2

More Confirmation on the Dangers of Soy: Medical Conditions Possibly Attributable to Soy Consumption

Hilarious list, esp the Weston Price Foundation medical condition. Freudian slip perhaps.

What people will do to make a buck these days. No integrity or pride left anywhere.

Coconut milk has been mentioned--good stuff to mix w/ soybean milk in particular, maybe 4/1 ratio. Add some unprocessed cocoa (Hershey's), cinnamon, a bit of oat bran and/or wheat germ, maybe some protein powder, and stevia--and you've got a fast, easy, palatable breakfast.

Hilarious list, esp the Weston Price Foundation medical condition. Freudian slip perhaps.

What people will do to make a buck these days. No integrity or pride left anywhere.

Coconut milk has been mentioned--good stuff to mix w/ soybean milk in particular, maybe 4/1 ratio. Add some unprocessed cocoa (Hershey's), cinnamon, a bit of oat bran and/or wheat germ, maybe some protein powder, and stevia--and you've got a fast, easy, palatable breakfast.

Weston Price foundation got to the higher healthy fats low carb recommendation decades earlier than anybody else.

Not sure how they would make money warning about dangers of soy. Maybe they are shorting soy futures?

Most people can agree that inflammation is the greatest threat to human health.

Tracking a biomarker like High Sensitivity C-Reactive Protein is a useful measure of infllammation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C-reactive_protein

Anyone can test this in themselves. Establish a baseline of a few tests over some months and then make a significant diet change concerning Soy products.

At best you might see no significant increase of inflammation with eating a lot of soy.

For myself and a lot of blogging biohackers it's the opposite. Really reducing or eliminating soy measurably lowers inflammation in most people.

Why guess?

just test. experiment, retest and adjust.

• Like 1

Most people can agree that inflammation is the greatest threat to human health.

Tracking a biomarker like High Sensitivity C-Reactive Protein is a useful measure of infllammation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C-reactive_protein

Anyone can test this in themselves. Establish a baseline of a few tests over some months and then make a significant diet change concerning Soy products.

At best you might see no significant increase of inflammation with eating a lot of soy.

For myself and a lot of blogging biohackers it's the opposite. Really reducing or eliminating soy measurably lowers inflammation in most people.

Why guess?

just test. experiment, retest and adjust.

+1

Awesome advice!

Well, as always I got more than I expected from all you TV members- ranging from dont drink milk at all to to dont drink soy because it may kill you. One day.

Thanks for all your contributions to my education

Sorry, I haven't read many replies but.

Answer this, what mammal consumes milk after it is weaned?

Milk is just a convenient food. Cows milk contains casein, a protein 300 times harder to digest than human mothers milk.

EDIT

Oh I wish I could give the stuff up!

I myself wish you believed in checking your facts. If you uncritically believe anything you read on websites without asking yourself if it is true , then you post disinformation. Human milk is actually full of casein, and so it is NOT a protein that is 300 times harder to digest than human mother's milk, because it IS human mothers milk:

Human-milk proteins: analysis of casein and casein subunits by anion-exchange chromatography gel electrophoresis, and specific staining methods

Clemens Kunz and Bo Lonnerdal American Journal of Clinical Nutrition (1990)51: 37-46

ABSTRACT Casein in human milk is believed to serve several biological functions in newborns. However, the content and subunit composition ofhuman casein has so far received little attention. We recently developed a method to separate human-milk whey and casein by adjustment ofwhole human milk to pH 4.3 and addition of calcium followed by ultracentrifugation. In this study we analyzed and evaluated human casein prepared by different methods. ........ Total casein in human milk, as determined by the Kjeldahl method, varies during lactation; the casein content is -20% of the total protein content in early lactation and 45% in late lactation.

http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/51/1/37.full.pdf

This thread has made me alternate between wanting to graze in fields of soy while chewing my cud, yearning for a wet-nurse (casein or no casein), and nausea.

William Shakespeare did not write:

If food be the music of love, bite on,

Give me excess of it; that surfeiting,
The appetite may thicken, as do I
.”

Happy New Year !

~o:37;

Edited by orang37