Questions re ATM or FX booth for Mastercard and FX rate.

I have a Mastercard and can use it in an exchange booth or ATM.

Mastercard quote the previous dates GBP / Baht rates on their website and observing the daily rates I can judge what amount Mastercard are paying.

If I use the exchange booth (for example Bangkok Bank) that quotes 53 Baht and Mastercard site quotes 54 Baht, would I get 53 or 54 ?

Would I get the Mastercard quoted rate at an ATM or is there a difference in their daily online quoted rate and an ATM rate?

Any knowledgeable answer appreciated from those who understand these things.

I do know you pay for most ATM withdrawals, but this is about what FX rates I could expect.

You will get the Mastercard rate minus any foreign transaction fee your home country bank card may apply to foreign transactions. Please note the Mastercard exchange web site is geared towards displaying the "settlement" date for credit card transactions and seems to be a day behind in comparison to the Visa exchange website. When using ithe Mastercard exchange website to determine the rate you would get for a debit card transaction be sure to reference the previous day. Like if you would look at the website for today/31 Dec it would not even display 31 Dec yet so you use the rate for 30 Dec.

Now if an ATM offers a Dynamic Currency Conversion (DCC) withdrawal option, although it may not be called a DCC but some warm & fuzzy name like "Home Rate" be sure to decline since you would end up getting a lower exchange rate in the 3 to 5% ballpark....DCC bad, very bad for the customer; DCC good, very good for the bank.

• Like 1