What should a pedestrian do (if anything) if a motorcyclist injures you?

Asiantravel

I'm just interested to know what is the legal situation in Thailand as a pedestrian you are innocently walking down a soi (without sidewalk) and you are injured by a motorcyclist who is riding quite fast overtaking cars on the inside.

Today I was very lucky not to have been injured, even though I wasn't even walking on the road itself. Today I was actually walking on the forecourts of several shops away from the road and yet a motorcyclist came tearing down this section because he was overtaking a motorist in a car which was weaving a bit so he had less room to overtake on the road itself and simply decided to mount the forecourt area.

Obviously you don't expect fast-moving vehicles in this area and with my back against this motorcyclist had I changed my direction of walking in any way I'm sure I would have been hit.

If you are injured in the circumstances can you sue the motorcyclists insurance company?

Edited by Asiantravel

You cannot "sue" them however if you are lucky enough to have the rider stop and exchange details with you regarding his/her insurance company, phone numbers etc. then their insurance will cover your costs if you have any.

If not then try to get the plate number and report it to the police.

I believe you are entitled to the minimum government compulsory insurance for injuries which is 15,000 or 30,000 Baht, can't remember. It all depends how much you push the police to bring the case to a conclusion, assuming you can identify the motorcyclist.

The application of laws governing this is that the bigger the vehicle the more responsible you have to be and the more at fault you will normally be. When it comes to pedestrians any vehicle is considered at fault in collisions. With a vehicle registration a complaint can be made at the nearest station (and only at that one) and a hospital check asked for if injured so that an eventual claim can be made. If witnesses were around their evidence would be very useful too.

It is getting more dangerous for pedestrians with the traffic jams at the moment.

I was nearly run over from behind on the footpath today outside of Tonys gym on Third Road because a motorcyclist stuck in the traffic decided to use the footpath.

Any compensation would be unlikely to be adequate to cover your medical expenses should you be hit.

Be careful out there it is silly season.

• Like 1

You could do the same as Thais without insurance, ask the driver for a sum of money to cover the cost of a hospital bill. If he is honest and understand that you are the victim he will pay .

Edited by balo

I believe you are entitled to the minimum government compulsory insurance for injuries which is 15,000 or 30,000 Baht, can't remember. It all depends how much you push the police to bring the case to a conclusion, assuming you can identify the motorcyclist.

It's actually up to b.50,000 of the Po Lo Bo compulsory insurance, and if you can get his m/cycle

license number, report to the police, you can sue him in court for any other health related expenses

incurred following the accident...

Navigating the refugee camp put up at Beach rd promenade is becoming more dangerous by the day. The only way to walk is between cars. Luckily the traffic is at complete stand still, so its doable.

But u have to watch out for the mopeds, they sneak up on u from behind, when u least expect it.

Sent from my C6802 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

Obviously you don't expect fast-moving vehicles in this area and with my back against this motorcyclist.

1) Try to anticipate and expect anything in this country(I understand that's easier said than done)

2) Always try to walk in the direction of on-coming traffic if at all possible.

3) I would say you'd be extremely lucky if the bike had of stopped in a land of ''mai pen rai''

4) FAR BETTER TO BE SAFE THAN SORRY,AND NOT HAVE TO PURSUE A LONG DRAWN OUT INSURANCE CLAIM.

• Like 1

I was hit by a bike about 4 years ago whilst crossing the road. In hospital for four days - I have accident insurance so the bill was covered. The boy who hit me was underage, no licence, no insurance, not his bike - but it was midday so he wasn't drunk! Police called me to the station a couple of weeks later and asked if I wanted any compensation from him. Pointless really as he could not even pay the Baht 500 fine they hit him with. A friend paid it for him. You just have to be very aware and I am extra cautious these days when I cross the road.

1) Try to anticipate and expect anything in this country(I understand that's easier said than done)

Being in Asia, my expectations are quit low, and I try to be realistic.

Still tho, one can dream!

Edited by valgehiir

Good chance he's not going to stop.Be careful if he does.He might press the officials to have you pay for the damages of the motorcycle that you had caused.Ya definitely need to watch your back.

Ridiculous. This is just a Thai Bashing National Theme Song. Your membership in that group is now good for another year........

• Like 1

Be smart - walk facing traffic!

Okay, you seem to infer that will solve all the problemsrolleyes.gif

let me tell you about another incident three weeks ago where I was walking in a huge area of vacant land near Big C Extra. I don't know the name of this area but it is where they park huge numbers of tourist buses at night. So i was walking carefully on the extreme right-hand side of the road which passes through this area and facing traffic. as I just happened to be walking alongside a speed bump a motorcycle taxi rider came straight towards me . In a split second I thought <deleted> ? He was centimetres from me and then I realised it was all because he wanted to avoid going over a speed bump.

Good chance he's not going to stop.Be careful if he does.He might press the officials to have you pay for the damages of the motorcycle that you had caused.Ya definitely need to watch your back.

Ridiculous. This is just a Thai Bashing National Theme Song. Your membership in that group is now good for another year........

You are not so well informed, so I will fill you in: I was struck from behind while parked off the road and was hit from behind by a under-aged driver (15, no lic, , no ins., no helmet,) the head of the police station gave the accident a 50/50 fault so my 1st class ins. would pay for his bike and my rates went up, nothing to the kid, all with my ins. agent standing calmly by............. not so bashing here...................

• Like 2

Be smart - walk facing traffic!

Whilst I appreciate the serious advice, try doing that crossing the road! I have images of the John Cleese school of silly walks!

And when walking on the side-walk I am unsure what direction that is...... as I am regarding those actually using the roads!

Edited by jacko45k

I was hit by a bike about 4 years ago whilst crossing the road. In hospital for four days - I have accident insurance so the bill was covered. The boy who hit me was underage, no licence, no insurance, not his bike - but it was midday so he wasn't drunk! Police called me to the station a couple of weeks later and asked if I wanted any compensation from him. Pointless really as he could not even pay the Baht 500 fine they hit him with. A friend paid it for him. You just have to be very aware and I am extra cautious these days when I cross the road.

Also when you walk down the pavement, or sidewalk.

Happened to me in 2003. Motorcycle hit me on side of road, motorcycle went down, police and ambulance were called, I got 5 stiches in my leg, police blamed motorcylist, father of kid paid my medical bill of 2500baht at police station.

• Like 1

There is no correct answer to this - I got hospitalised in Pattaya some yeas ago due to a foreign object being thrown off a high rise balcony which knocked me off my motorbike - even though there were many witnesses and the balcony was identified, it was just simply too tedious to pursue.

There is no correct answer to this - I got hospitalised in Pattaya some yeas ago due to a foreign object being thrown off a high rise balcony which knocked me off my motorbike - even though there were many witnesses and the balcony was identified, it was just simply too tedious to pursue.

but if the solution is to simply say ‘ mai ben rai “ to everything like this it's the hospital visits themselves, which would become tediousblink.png

I'm just interested to know what is the legal situation in Thailand as a pedestrian you are innocently walking down a soi (without sidewalk) and you are injured by a motorcyclist who is riding quite fast overtaking cars on the inside.

You think too mutt.

Think too mutt no good.

One cheap and easy accident insurance is the K-Bank Debit Card (ATM card). 400b and covers accident insurance in all hospitals up to around 5000b, you pay no cash. Had a friend in an accident on Ratchada and they were taken to Phra Ram 9 hospital (a very good private one that is more like a 4 star hotel). It covered the ambulance, x-rays, medication and follow up, they just took the details of the card and checked ID at the desk.

The 400b is deducted from your account each year.

Everytime I have seen a simpleton lunatic on a motosai hit something/someone they have fled the scene even faster than they entered it, every single time.

First time I was almost hit was in the country side. Standing at the side of the road. Pitch black darkness. Car coming, scooter suddenly appears while undetaking him, no lights on so could not see it until it was right there zooming past me, ridden by a kid using one hand, as the other was holding his phone to his ear. No helmet, no lights, using one hand to talk on the phone, throttle wide open, undertaking vehicles in the pitch black.

When you see the actions of so many Thais here, it is difficult to believe that they are not, you know, a little bit simple.

• Like 1

It is getting more dangerous for pedestrians with the traffic jams at the moment.

I was nearly run over from behind on the footpath today outside of Tonys gym on Third Road because a motorcyclist stuck in the traffic decided to use the footpath.

Any compensation would be unlikely to be adequate to cover your medical expenses should you be hit.

Be careful out there it is silly season.

It goes both ways. Pedestrians often walk in the middle of the smaller sois seemingly blissfully unaware that they're walking on a roadway and blocking traffic.

I was hit by a m/cycle while turning left ,they tried to undertake had all the usuall you must pay for bike ,my injuries ,basically i told them to go forth and multiply ,i have ist class insurance and a bail bond ,do as you please you are to blame ,in the end they gave up ,but i did not get my car repaired as they were broke and i was sick of waiting for my insurer to turn up .cost me 6000 baht in repairs .well my insurer who when they had fixed it i dumped.

Best solution is to take accident insurance on yourself and/or family than your insurance pays and solves the shit with the other party.

Many motorcycles and even cars have no insurance and no driving license... Therefore many try to drive away from an accident.

If you get the license number alone that is not enough, you also need to note the province, if the motorcycle has a license plate... and if the license plate is real...and if it's registered in the name of the current owner of the vehicle....

Navigating the refugee camp put up at Beach rd promenade is becoming more dangerous by the day. The only way to walk is between cars. Luckily the traffic is at complete stand still, so its doable. But u have to watch out for the mopeds, they sneak up on u from behind, when u least expect it. Sent from my C6802 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

+1 clap2.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif